RCI Question

My husband and I are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas on Sunday 26th March. As this is our first cruise on RCI I have a question about the suggested boarding times. We are on deck 6 and the suggested time and it does say suggested is 3pm. We are staying overnight in Sydney and check out is by 10am.

We will drop off our bags at the OPC and then had intended to do our checkin once we are able to. I read a post on the RCI board who said that while they were boarding VOS recently in late morning a man was told he couldn't board as he was on deck 3. The OP said that it was the first rime she had seen boarding times adhered to.

I know we can always sight see or visit the Rocks Market but if the weather is like it has been in Sydney, we don't really want to be wandering around in the rain. My husband is also walking with a limp and struggles sometimes to walk any distance although he will attempt to.

Perhaps Gbenjo or anyone who has been on VOS this season, could clarify if the suggested boarding times have been enforced at all.

Also if you have room service, thinking breakfast on the balcony, is it ok to tip the waiter with AUS coins or should I have some US dollar notes?

Thanks,

Leigh

I don't have any experience, but it doesn't sound like you have much of a choice anyway, just try to board when you drop off your luggage, if they let you, great, if not, then well you don't have a choice. There are cafe and restaurants near the opera house you can sit and relax at. You could also catch a ferry to Darling Harbour and sail past your ship so you can look at her from different angles.

As for currency for tips, don't think anyone would complain about getting money, but I am not sure what they prefer.

Agree with the comment above for the first point.

For the second, US currency is preferred, but given the ship is here for a while they can handle local currency as well. Though as end of season, better not in large amounts (which it doesn't sound like).

Thank you both Scyl and The_Big_M, yes we understand if that is what happens we will deal with it.

What I was asking was if anyone has first hand experience lately boarding VOS at the OPT could confirm if this is the case so at least we can make alternative plans if necessary for the reasons I mentioned in my original post.

Thanks,

Leigh

Thank you both Scyl and The_Big_M, yes we understand if that is what happens we will deal with it.

What I was asking was if anyone has first hand experience lately boarding VOS at the OPT could confirm if this is the case so at least we can make alternative plans if necessary for the reasons I mentioned in my original post.

Thanks,

Leigh

I suggest making some plans anyway just to be safe, but sorry I don't have first hand experience.

I suspect it could depend on who is working and how busy it is when you do turn up.

I suggest making some plans anyway just to be safe, but sorry I don't have first hand experience.

I suspect it could depend on who is working and how busy it is when you do turn up.

They are only likely to turn people away if they are busy and it is not your suggested scheduled time to board. Most times You will be fine, also note that you may tip in AUD, they will accept whatever you give them although I am sure they would prefer USD (due to the exchange rate).

They are only likely to turn people away if they are busy and it is not your suggested scheduled time to board. Most times You will be fine, also note that you may tip in AUD, they will accept whatever you give them although I am sure they would prefer USD (due to the exchange rate).

Thanks Mic! Knew we should have kept the US notes we had instead of giving them to our grandsons who were visiting Hawaii with their parents!

Leigh

My husband and I are sailing on the Voyager of the Seas on Sunday 26th March. As this is our first cruise on RCI I have a question about the suggested boarding times. We are on deck 6 and the suggested time and it does say suggested is 3pm. We are staying overnight in Sydney and check out is by 10am.

We will drop off our bags at the OPC and then had intended to do our checkin once we are able to. I read a post on the RCI board who said that while they were boarding VOS recently in late morning a man was told he couldn't board as he was on deck 3. The OP said that it was the first rime she had seen boarding times adhered to.

I know we can always sight see or visit the Rocks Market but if the weather is like it has been in Sydney, we don't really want to be wandering around in the rain. My husband is also walking with a limp and struggles sometimes to walk any distance although he will attempt to.

Perhaps Gbenjo or anyone who has been on VOS this season, could clarify if the suggested boarding times have been enforced at all.

Also if you have room service, thinking breakfast on the balcony, is it ok to tip the waiter with AUS coins or should I have some US dollar notes?

Thanks,

Leigh

In my experience they take anything. Saw one chap in NZ WITH US$ AUS$ pounds, Euro, Can$ and more beside.

In my experience they take anything. Saw one chap in NZ WITH US$ AUS$ pounds, Euro, Can$ and more beside.

Thanks Mr GUT, I assumed that would be the case.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

We are on board now - very busy this morning, but no one was checking for times or deck numbers. We have cruised RC out of Sydney several times (our second on Voyager) and never had that issue. Hopefully all will be fine for you :)

And yes - Aussie dollars seems fine for tipping :)

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Leigh,

We are on board now - very busy this morning, but no one was checking for times or deck numbers. We have cruised RC out of Sydney several times (our second on Voyager) and never had that issue. Hopefully all will be fine for you :)

And yes - Aussie dollars seems fine for tipping :)

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy your cruise.:D

Ok we all love cruising; but i wish people would adhear to the boarding times. why push in; be patient. They have the staggered times for a reason. I hate having a crowded Buffet on Embarkment day & Guest services desk also. when people with 2 or 3 pm boarding times have pushed in. In the USA you pay extra to get on first. Hope the weathers ok on embarkment day for you..

Ok we all love cruising; but i wish people would adhear to the boarding times. why push in; be patient. They have the staggered times for a reason. I hate having a crowded Buffet on Embarkment day & Guest services desk also. when people with 2 or 3 pm boarding times have pushed in. In the USA you pay extra to get on first. Hope the weathers ok on embarkment day for you..

Thank you Hunter69, hopefully the weather is fine.

Re your point about people adhering to boarding times. This is the first time there has been a suggested boarding time for us. A bigger ship, I guess is the reason. Perhaps if cruise companies want people to turn up at a certain time, 'suggested time of boarding' should be amended to 'your boarding time is 3pm-4pm' or whatever time and then should be enforced. They can't really enforce a suggested time.

Leigh

I would not like to wait until 2-3pm for my lunch just so it is less crowded for you. We have all paid for lunch on embarkation day so should be allowed to board early if we want.

I have never seen anything allowing you to pay to board early, just the Suite Guests get priority.

They were quite strict about boarding times at the OPT when we boarded Ovation. I saw lots of people with later times being turned away when we arrived at 11.30am but it may have been less so once the initial rush subsided. Certainly no problem with dropping bags at any time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you Hunter69, hopefully the weather is fine.

Re your point about people adhering to boarding times. This is the first time there has been a suggested boarding time for us. A bigger ship, I guess is the reason. Perhaps if cruise companies want people to turn up at a certain time, 'suggested time of boarding' should be amended to 'your boarding time is 3pm-4pm' or whatever time and then should be enforced. They can't really enforce a suggested time.

Leigh

Agreed, 'suggested' is just that.

I would not like to wait until 2-3pm for my lunch just so it is less crowded for you. We have all paid for lunch on embarkation day so should be allowed to board early if we want.

I have never seen anything allowing you to pay to board early, just the Suite Guests get priority.

We often board a bit later so we miss that lunchtime rush. Most times we have lunch ashore and then board after a drink or two when the queues have gone.

Hunter69 was talking about Carnival in USA.

It is called "faster to the fun".

You pay a fee for the stateroom and get similar perks to that of Diamond Loyalty guests.

Priority on and off, luggage, tenders, stateroom ready as soon as you get on etc....

We often board a bit later so we miss that lunchtime rush. Most times we have lunch ashore and then board after a drink or two when the queues have gone.

Agree Mic. Between about 12pm and 2pm seems to be rush hour.

Why stand in a long queue when you can turn up at about 3.00pm and basically walk straight through.

Also buffet is usually so packed, there is no where to sit anyway.

Agree Mic. Between about 12pm and 2pm seems to be rush hour.

Why stand in a long queue when you can turn up at about 3.00pm and basically walk straight through.

Also buffet is usually so packed, there is no where to sit anyway.

Exactly, I also prefer to avoid the buffet at any time if possible.

This is what we plan to do when we board on Mar 28. Plus, aren't cabins ready at 1 or so? Seems like a good idea to drop off bags, go have a small snack and drink, then board a bit later. The excitement does build though :D

ML

Yeah Babsjo; if you can make a dollar Carnival will. Lol

I have in past adheared to it like the Melbourne cup cruise with them; Boarded at 3:10 when departure was at 4:00; walk straight in got S&S card went dropped bags off & went to Muster. No lines. every gruise i have been on with Princess & carnival had a boarding time.

Now being Platnium can turn-up & walk straight through at 11:30 to Buffet or load my card with spending monies...:)

Hunter69 was talking about Carnival in USA.

It is called "faster to the fun".

You pay a fee for the stateroom and get similar perks to that of Diamond Loyalty guests.

Priority on and off, luggage, tenders, stateroom ready as soon as you get on etc....