GTY balcony cabin booked and now oversold😕

Hi, This will be my second cruise with NCL this time on the Spirit sailing 12March. We booked a GTY balcony cabin BD. Tuesday we received a phone call from our travel agent to say balcony cabins have been oversold and offereing us a downgrade! Plus some money back. We informed our TA that we would still like a balcony cabin she said this was fine and we would shortly receive our cabin assignment. As of yet still no cabin assigned. Is this a normal thing to happen Hubby is getting quite concerned now and bending my ear?

Hi, This will be my second cruise with NCL this time on the Spirit sailing 12March.

We booked a GTY balcony cabin BD.

Tuesday we received a phone call from our travel agent to say balcony cabins have been oversold and offereing us a downgrade! Plus some money back. We informed our TA that we would still like a balcony cabin she said this was fine and we would shortly receive our cabin assignment.

As of yet still no cabin assigned. Is this a normal thing to happen Hubby is getting quite concerned now and bending my ear?

You booked a GTY Balcony BD.

DON"T take a downgrade !

NCL says you will get at least a BD.

Let us know what happens.

This is strange. I've never heard of anyone having to accept a downgrade for a guaranteed booking. When I booked a GTY balcony on Princess that were all sold out, they gave me a free upgrade to a mini-suite.

So, hold your ground.

Hi, This will be my second cruise with NCL this time on the Spirit sailing 12March. We booked a GTY balcony cabin BD. Tuesday we received a phone call from our travel agent to say balcony cabins have been oversold and offereing us a downgrade! Plus some money back. We informed our TA that we would still like a balcony cabin she said this was fine and we would shortly receive our cabin assignment. As of yet still no cabin assigned. Is this a normal thing to happen Hubby is getting quite concerned now and bending my ear?

Now I am getting concerned. We also booked a BD Gty a couple of months ago for our upcoming Gem cruise (March 19th), and we still have not had our cabin assigned. Everyone else we know who booked a Gty cabin has already had their cabin assigned.

I keep checking, and it appears all balcony cabins have been sold out for a while. I even called our PCC at NCL - and he seemed a little surprised.

Hopefully this "downgrade" offer won't become a trend :confused:

They cannot downgrade you without your permission.

Either they will upgrade you or they will upgrade someone in a balcony and give you their balcony or they will offer good enough incentives to you or a balcony person to take a different cruise. In any case you will be fine. Do not accept a downgrade unless you really like the bargain.

Don't accept the down grade.

You may not get a cabin assignment until you get to the Port of Barcelona.

The ship is sold out except for inside cabins, so there will be others who may take a downgrade or a free cruise to "get off".

Now I am getting concerned. We also booked a BD Gty a couple of months ago for our upcoming Gem cruise (March 19th), and we still have not had our cabin assigned. Everyone else we know who booked a Gty cabin has already had their cabin assigned.

I keep checking, and it appears all balcony cabins have been sold out for a while. I even called our PCC at NCL - and he seemed a little surprised.

Hopefully this "downgrade" offer won't become a trend :confused:

NCL keeps checking too :p

NCL , with their "Terms and Conditions" may be forced to place you in a Mini-Suite. :eek:

NCL keeps checking too :p

NCL , with their "Terms and Conditions" may be forced to place you in a Mini-Suite. :eek:

Oh no... say it ain't so!

If they really want to mess with me, they can just bypass the mini suite, and throw me in a penthouse.

:')

It sounds like they need some people to be willing to change rooms or there could be some people who can't go... not unheard of

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=340

Hopefully this works out for you but if you are flying internationally, I'd certainly hope for some assurances before I left

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will give you a balcony or better. However when they are oversold, they often offer people money, credit, free cruises etc to accept a downgrade. You don't have to accept the downgrade but eventually, they will offer enough incentives that someone will accept a downgrade or even agree to travel on another cruise. Don't worry. Enjoy.

They will give you a balcony or better. However when they are oversold, they often offer people money, credit, free cruises etc to accept a downgrade. You don't have to accept the downgrade but eventually, they will offer enough incentives that someone will accept a downgrade or even agree to travel on another cruise. Don't worry. Enjoy.

Like an airline, the cruise line expects a certain number of cancellations. If the cancellations are a lot lower than projected, then they end up in an oversold condition (which is the case of the OP). Since this is a one-off cruise, long cruise, and out of foreign port, they may not get enough volunteers. In this case, could denied boarding (in advance) to the GTY passengers.

I had an inside GTY on a recent cruise and did not get a room assigned until 8 days before the cruise. The T&C says it could be portside. You booked a balcony, they have to give you a balcony. They may be juggling ADA rooms, people who want rooms next to each other, etc. They will find someone to take their deal. doesn't have to be you! The longer you don't have a room, the better chance of an upgrade.

I had an inside GTY on a recent cruise and did not get a room assigned until 8 days before the cruise. The T&C says it could be portside. You booked a balcony, they have to give you a balcony. They may be juggling ADA rooms, people who want rooms next to each other, etc. They will find someone to take their deal. doesn't have to be you! The longer you don't have a room, the better chance of an upgrade.

But, if you look, the ship is totally sold out.

:( I will keep checking my ncl and hope it sorts itself out. Its a worry because we finally persuaded my mom to travel and we made her booking together with ours she is in an inside room all sorted. We hoped to make this look very easy to her so that she will feel able to do it alone. So on the outside I am calm and panicking inside. We fly to Barcelona saturday and im hoping it is sorted before then.

Quite often in a situation like this, you don't even get a cabin number until you get to the dock. Don't worry, you will get what you booked one way or the other. You have another week

We had booked a GTY balcony on the Star when we did a full transit of the Panama Canal and it too was overbooked. Shortly before our cruise NCL called us and offered us a partial refund and an inside cabin. Since we would be celebrating our 40th anniversary and it was a full transit of the canal I turned them down. We ended up with a mid-ship balcony on deck 9…it was perfect. I think it was just a couple of days before our cruise when we were finally assigned that cabin.

You're just like me. I would be climbing the wall not knowing my cabin. But, I can't imagine that it will do any good to call. Either they've assigned you a cabin or not. I'm sure NCL is slowly upping the compensation for someone to switch cabins, and eventually there will be a taker.

6 days now until we board still no cabin assigned. Do I ring to enquire closer to the time? I have read that sometimes you may not get assigned until you get to port is this an easy process (im preparing myself)

Out of a dozen GTY's booked only One time We did not get an assignment until the port.

A stevedore called upstairs for a cabin # to tag our bag's. :halo:

Easy Peasy.:cool:

On my 2012 Bermuda cruise, NCL called us three or four days before we set sail and offered us a downgrade from a balcony to an oceanview. The amount they were willing to credit us almost made the cruise half-price, so we took the deal, and were very happy with our oceanview room and lots of extra spending money. :D If no one takes the initial offer, they will just keep sweetening the deal till someone takes it. I wouldn't worry about being bumped from the cruise.