Should we wait til last minute

Horsegoer

Guess that's very risky to do. Planning on cruising out of NYC on the Breakway on the April 23rd and both me and my wife have put in this week for our vacations at work so pretty much have to take it.

Would we get a better deal waiting longer to book as it gets closer to cruise date? Thanks

We used to do just that....wait till 2 or 3 weeks before the cruise and book it at a great price. I strongly suggest you NOT do that on Breakaway at this point because if I hadn't been watching and seeing a cruise during a week that should be slow selling out, we would not have been able to go the dates we wanted to. I don't know if the new everyone can upgrade for a price thing has something to do with the logistics of how they are filling cabins now, but based on past experiences on Breakaway at similarly "quiet" times, something has changed and the old wait till the last minute get a balcony for $750 does not seem to apply.

If you really, really just want to get on the ship and don't care about cabin type or cabin location, you just MAY get a cheap cabin.

Sometimes there will be a last minute cancellation due to an illness. It is risky. However, on some sailings you MAY luck out with getting a good deal on an unsold Haven cabin for up to 1/2 off. It's a gamble to wait to the last minute.

MARAPRINCE

I would say NO! If you were retired, sure, if you don't get to go because of a sold out ship, it's not a biggy, but if you are requesting time off, don't risk it. You may also get stuck in an awful cannot - under the buffet. Next to crew stairwell, over the theatre.

Also, contrary to popular belief, early booking is often times cheaper. I usually book my cabins as soon as they appear, 18 or so months in advance.m it is rare that I ever see a rate lower than my booking rate.

It's up to you, of course, but I wouldn't chance it.

Guess that's very risky to do. Planning on cruising out of NYC on the Breakway on the April 23rd and both me and my wife have put in this week for our vacations at work so pretty much have to take it.

Would we get a better deal waiting longer to book as it gets closer to cruise date? Thanks

Just a thought...some large TAs hold big blocks of cabins and do not release unsold cabins until final payment date. At that time, the unsold cabins "go back to" NCL and become available for booking. Suddenly, you will see both cabins and cabin categories open up on NCL's site. But is is not exactly "last minute".

MARAPRINCE

Are you ready to stay home if the cruise sells out ?

I late book frequently. BUT, you have only one ship and one date. IF you want to pick up bargains, you have to be a lot more flexible than that. Will you open up your options to Baltimore, Boston, the Gem???? if not, your decision will be, is it ok if you don't go? Can you monitor the prices several times/day, now? Can you turn back in vacation?

This is already a late booking; so you'll have missed out on some of the best prices outside of a possible last minute fire sale. It's a gamble and could go either way. Could end up with a great deal, horribly overpaying, or it selling out and missing the trip altogether.

I agree with budget queen. For a last minute deal to work you need flexibility. Not all sailings drop in price close to booking. You need to be flexible to jump on the one that does. Since it sounds like you aren't id book now unless you are ok with it selling out and planning an alternate trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

..... the new everyone can upgrade for a price thing ......

Where can I get more info on this?^^^^

Is it available to everyone regardless of country of residence?

Is it a discounted price or do you still have to pay the difference between you booked room and upgrade room?

TIA :D

A # of random thoughts: some of the suburban NY area school districts (not sure about Canadian) might still be on Spring break, NYC public school are going back that Tuesday, I think - parents sometimes opt to keep the kids out for a little longer ... so available staterooms might be almost sold out.

As others said, alternative to staying home instead of cruising to BDA is what ? JetBlue has a sales going on but lodging isn't cheap on the island, if available. You can fly somewhere warmer instead or load up the family car/minivan to cruise down up & down I-95 or up north of the border, etc.

Right now, GTY balconies, oceanviews and insides are all about the same - no "freebies" included - about $2,170 before gratitutes for 2, plus whatever ground transportation costs & overnight lodging, if required - - - with about 50 days to go. There might be inventories being held while the Upsell game is being played - and, you might see some - short duration - quick, last minute sales in the coming weeks ... or you might not, with the ship sold out, except for higher priced staterooms.

GEM is doing 10 or 11 days Caribbean but switching that Saturday to 7 days Bahamas run - not an option for you, I think. I am not sure if the competitions in the NY area has anything similar with prices to match or bump lower for you ... Baltimore or Boston, maybe - with one or two ships, could be tough.

Book with an online or big box TA, you might get some OBC from them to cover some expenses at sea. Another way of looking at your options - with vacation already scheduled, is this well within your vacation budget.

Where can I get more info on this?^^^^

Is it available to everyone regardless of country of residence?

Is it a discounted price or do you still have to pay the difference between you booked room and upgrade room?

TIA :D

Seems it is only for people in the U.S. Only certain travel agents participate. NCL says anyone booking with NCL directly gets the email. Do a search for upgrade advantage program. It has been talked about a lot on the boards.

You can take a look at the trends of this cruise's pricing at another website - can't say the name, but it starts with cruise and ends with fish.

I booked the Escape about 40 days out and that turned out to the lowest price in the past 6 months...but that price only lasted two days. If you like the price, jump on it now. Enjoy your vacation.