Booking on board?

kaytamar

My husband and I are going to be taking a cruise at the end of the month, and we already know which 2018 cruise we'd like to do. Is there any advantage to booking on board versus just booking now through our travel agent. Also, if we do book on board, are we able to reserve for my parents as well? Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is an advantage. By booking on board, you will get some onboard credit when you sail. The amount is up to $150 per person (must be passengers). You can book for your parents, but they would not get the OBC if they are not passengers with you.

My husband and I are going to be taking a cruise at the end of the month, and we already know which 2018 cruise we'd like to do. Is there any advantage to booking on board versus just booking now through our travel agent. Also, if we do book on board, are we able to reserve for my parents as well? Thank you!!!

This question gets asked a bunch.

A quick search found a thread from last week....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2406934&highlight=booking+on+board

Buy FCD's while onboard for sure!!!

As I discovered too late, it's possible to purchase multiple FCDs per passenger during a cruise. :o

That was a costly mistake & we lost a combined $300 of OBC. Now we always have a couple FCDs each to never repeat that costly mistake. :(

You can book on board and tell them you want it given to your Travel Agent (they will have all the info if you booked with the agent on your cruise). Or after you get home, can have it transferred to your agent.

Your agent will know how to handle this.

Thank you all- we're certainly planning to get FCDs and the OBC will be spent before we leave!

The OBC associated with using the FCD as the deposit for your next cruise (whether booked onboard or after returning home) is applied to the future booking, not the cruise you purchase the FCD on (which is the policy on some other lines such as NCL).

Thought I would our recent experience with FCC and obc.

Last April we partook of our first Princess sailing, on Diamond. We loved it so much that we paid a $NZ100 for a future cruise credit and obc, to be used on our next Princess sailing.

We have just booked Golden Princess from LA to Auckland, but were dismayed to find out our $100 cruise credit and obc did not apply to this sailing. WHY - because we had paid the FCC in NZ dollars, and the Golden booking is being done through a US travel agent (on line). Apparently we need to book within our zone (Australia/NZ) to use the FCC.

Feeling a bit let down but equally looking forward to our forthcoming sailing.

By all means buy FCD while onboard but there is absolutely no benefit at all to booking while onboard. The OBC from the FCD and the reduced deposit apply to any future cruise but you don't get anything as a bonus for booking while onboard.

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

By all means buy FCD while onboard but there is absolutely no benefit at all to booking while onboard. The OBC from the FCD and the reduced deposit apply to any future cruise but you don't get anything as a bonus for booking while onboard.

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

We have booked on board with a FCD in order to get a cabin we preferred and to take advantage of a sale then moved it over to our TA upon our return. . Once, the Future Cruise person suggested that I not book on board since our TA had better cabins for less. Otherwise, I tend to agree that there is no great benefit. The real benefit is the refundable deposit itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Benefit OBC.

Booking for others? Not unless something has changed, and there was talk of a change.

Buy the FCD and have it transferred to your existing agent. Same benefits as booking onboard. The FCD acts as your entire deposit for the next cruise. In many cases when you get this you will be offered a "Sail with me" deal where friends can also book on the cruise you take with the same reduced deposit. They don't get the OBC, on that cruise but nice to be able to book a cruise for $100 until final payment.

While you can actually do bookings onboard the consultant is often very busy and his/her internet connection is lousy. You can either have them do the booking without you present or just issue the FCD, but best do this early in the cruise - I've seen them working in their office at 11 PM trying to get caught up.

The $100 charge each goes as a separate charge on the credit card registered to your account, not on your cruise tab.

Edited by LeeW
more