Another RCI loyalist cruises MSC , we loved it and will be back

Pools- ... We found the loungers to be extremely uncomfortable and only had 2 settings , flat and not upright enough. ... There was a bizarre system MSC used, no pool towel station on deck anywhere, pool towels were provided in cabin on embarkation. Hubby asked a deck attendant what was a person to do when your towel was wet from swimming and you wanted a replacement. Apparently you were to go to your room , dial 99 and someone would bring you dry ones!! ... no one saving multiple beds with pool towels.

Our waiter told us that on second sitting a guest bought an expensive bottle of wine and even he wasn't allowed to take the last glass away with him and sat there til midnight in defiance drinking it.

(loungers) We sailed MSC Divina in December. My wife had no issues with the loungers as you noted. As for the pool towels, we found there we usually a deck attendant on the pool deck who was able to swap towels. When I sailed RCI in early 2014, the same system was in place. As for saving lounge chair, we saw a large number of guests laying claim to *their* chairs - some used clips to keep their towels on the chairs during high winds. This is despite MSC's claim that saving chairs is not permitted.

(alcohol leaving restaurant) We had the Mealtime Beverage Package, which, among other things, provides for unlimited wine by the glass, and draft beer. I ordered wine with dinner on the first two nights. Each glass of wine was acquired from the bar. On the third night, when I ordered my wine, the assistant server brought a full bottle, and filled my glass when appropriate. I had not finished the bottle by the end of the meal, so the server asked me if I wanted to take the bottle with me (I obliged). My receipt showed that the wait staff had processed the wine as six glasses, in lieu of one bottle (likely for bookkeeping purposes). I believe providing the bottle (versus individual glasses) was a convenience factor for me, and a time saving effort for them. Regardless, I was able to leave the restaurant with the partially filled bottle with no issue.

We have Seaside booked next for April. We love the status match and have booked a Grand Suite. We could never afford that w RCL, but got a great deal on it. I'm excited to see their new ship and try them out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I've been looking at Seaside as well, with the Aurea experience... verrrrry tempting....please promise to come back and give us the low down! Or high up as the case may be!;p

Edited by BecciBoo

Wow Heather, what a great review, thanks for posting it. We're booked on Preziosa for September and this has given us a very good idea of what to expect.

We wanted to try something new and I've always liked the look of the MSC ships but as we only cruise from Southampton we've not really had the opportunity until now. The status match was a bonus that our TA told us about, they sorted that out for us before putting the booking through so we were able to take advantage of the 5% discount, we were told that they wouldn't apply it retrospectively so the status match needed to be done first. Tarponjeff, did you do the status match before you booked? If not that could be the reason you haven't received the discount.

We've booked the Fantastica Experience and at the time that included a drinks package.............silly question time now lol - I understand that this will be in the form of 12 drinks vouchers, is that for the whole cruise or per day?

I agree with everybody else, RCI really are pricing themselves out of the market, we now just need MSC to vary the itineraries a bit.

Gill

Hi Gill, the drinks packages are many and varied, either so many drinks which you receive vouchers for which you redeem each time you have a drink or all inclusive for the whole cruise as many drinks as you want. What does it say on your invoice?

We purchased the 14 drink premium beer and 4 wine bottle/7 water bottle vouchers.

Vouchers were picked up from the bar next to Guest services and signed for.

I am assuming guests with all inclusive packages had some form of identification on their cruise cards.

(loungers) We sailed MSC Divina in December. My wife had no issues with the loungers as you noted. As for the pool towels, we found there we usually a deck attendant on the pool deck who was able to swap towels. When I sailed RCI in early 2014, the same system was in place. As for saving lounge chair, we saw a large number of guests laying claim to *their* chairs - some used clips to keep their towels on the chairs during high winds. This is despite MSC's claim that saving chairs is not permitted.

(alcohol leaving restaurant) We had the Mealtime Beverage Package, which, among other things, provides for unlimited wine by the glass, and draft beer. I ordered wine with dinner on the first two nights. Each glass of wine was acquired from the bar. On the third night, when I ordered my wine, the assistant server brought a full bottle, and filled my glass when appropriate. I had not finished the bottle by the end of the meal, so the server asked me if I wanted to take the bottle with me (I obliged). My receipt showed that the wait staff had processed the wine as six glasses, in lieu of one bottle (likely for bookkeeping purposes). I believe providing the bottle (versus individual glasses) was a convenience factor for me, and a time saving effort for them. Regardless, I was able to leave the restaurant with the partially filled bottle with no issue.

Taking the bottle from the restaurant wasn't the problem, it was the physical glass you were not allowed to take out. Our waiter went and got me a balloon glass from the bar outside.

Diamond and above have been getting Black level.

How does that work? when someone goes to book they send in a copy of their C and A status? or is it supposed to be done before even looking at bookings?

Hi Gill, the drinks packages are many and varied, either so many drinks which you receive vouchers for which you redeem each time you have a drink or all inclusive for the whole cruise as many drinks as you want. What does it say on your invoice?

We purchased the 14 drink premium beer and 4 wine bottle/7 water bottle vouchers.

Vouchers were picked up from the bar next to Guest services and signed for.

I am assuming guests with all inclusive packages had some form of identification on their cruise cards.

Hi,

if you take the All Inclusive drinks package it is shown by a number on the card, so when you show the card the waiter knows what you can have. When you get your drink you have to sign of it and it nets out to zero at the bottom of the receipt. The Standard package includes 5 wines, draught beer, cocktails etc, the premium package includes wines by the glass including champagne, then anything in terms of sppirits except Johnny Walker Blue label and Litre bottles of Raki. The voucher booklets are for people who buy packages of a set number of drinks as described earlier.

We love MSC, very clean and impressive decor, plus great service you need just get used to the laid back style

We sailed years and years ago on MSC when they first introduced the Orchestra to the US Caribbean market. We got an Oceanview cabin for $279 plus tax and tips for a week. We also bought a few coupon books for beer and drinks. Biggest bargain around.

Food in the MDR was generally good but inconsistent. Shows were great - a departure from the norm due to the multi linguistics. Service was fantastic.

Funny - we thought the worst thing about the cruise were the awful chairs around the pool too. I guess they haven't changed.

In our race to become Diamond and now D+ we have been somewhat Loyal to Royal. But we will never get to Pinnacle so it may be time to try MSC again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL ain't that the truth a long way off for us too.

In our race to become Diamond and now D+ we have been somewhat Loyal to Royal. But we will never get to Pinnacle so it may be time to try MSC again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's another interesting point I had not been aware of. I wonder if it's a management rule that they not accept cash tips?

The suggested gratuities charged to your stateroom are shared with other crew members who are "behind the scenes." If someone gives cash to a specific crew member, there is no way to make sure it is shared with the other crew members who are behind the scenes. Should someone increase or decrease the gratuities on their account, it will be divided among the applicable crew members in the ratio prescribed to each crew member.

I am not used to crew members having to share their gratuities ... whether or not it is with anyone behind the scenes. Regardless, I leave the suggested gratuities on my account (as I normally do), and give extra cash to my stateroom host, server, assistant server and head server - discretely - and where applicable.

On the Divina, your MSC cruise card has a three digit code imprinted at embarkation. It is supposed to reference any non-voucher beverage package so that a bartender or restaurant server can identify the package associated to your account. On my last cruise, the code printed on my card referenced a dining package, which confused the bartender. The bartender pointed out the situation, and I had the card corrected at Guest Services without issue.

Buffet- I forgot to mention about busy days in the buffet.

They have a system where you wait to be seated like in the MDR. The buffet his huge, very long with the food stations separated. On busy days a member of staff will greet you at the main entrance , ask how many in party and hold up a red reserved card and walk you through . There are crew members with headsets who see this and guide the member of staff to an empty table, puts your reserved sign on it and off you go to get your food knowing your table will still be there when you get back. They take the sign away once you are all back . There are wireless push buttons on some tables to request bar service, brilliant idea. This service is for bar drinks only.

May I ask which ship? This sounds great, but was not on the Divina in December.

Thanks for the drinks package info - I've checked and we have All Inclusive with meal package A so I presume we are not limited by the vouchers and can also get drinks in the MDR, would that be right? Does anybody know if this would include the speciality coffees (latte etc)? We actually rarely drink alcohol but I do love my coffees lol.

I'm really looking forward to this cruise but does anybody else get nervous trying out a new line for the first time? Ignoring any packages, it's knowing things like what is included and what you have to pay for. I don't mind paying but I like to know beforehand that there will be a charge. On RCI any food in the Promenade Café and Sorrento's is free but on P&O you can get a free slice of cake etc with a paid-for coffee but otherwise you pay..........how does it work on MSC? Would you be paying for those glorious looking desserts in the pic or are they included? So many questions and so many months left to ask them :D.

Tarponjeff, our TA did everything for us and then told us our revised balance with the 5% discount, It doesn't appear on our actual invoice from MSC just the TA/s. Not long after we hit D+ with RCI my husband worked out how long it would take us to get to Pinnacle - 4 14-night cruises every year for the next 14 years!!!

Gill

Gill

Yeah we hit D+ last June after a short points run on Majesty out of PC. Took us about 3 years to get there. Pinnacle will most likely not be obtainable. We will plug along at it though. Thanks for the info on the TA ours did not recommend MSC at all, but we decided to try the new MSC Seaside in January. Then doing a B2B on Adventure in Feb. A bit apprehensive.about trying it as it will be a new experience. We took the top experience on MSC so it will be closer to being a Diamond/+ with the drinks though we are not big drinkers. We saw the MSC Opera in Havana last week and it was very nice looking.

Thanks for the drinks package info - I've checked and we have All Inclusive with meal package A so I presume we are not limited by the vouchers and can also get drinks in the MDR, would that be right? Does anybody know if this would include the specilty coffees (latte etc)? We actually rarely drink alcohol but I do love my coffees lol.

I'm really looking forward to this cruise but does anybody else get nervous trying out a new line for the first time? Ignoring any packages, it's knowing things like what is included and what you have to pay for. I don't mind paying but I like to know beforehand that there will be a charge. On RCI any food in the Promenade Café and Sorrento's is free but on P&O you can get a free slice of cake etc with a paid-for coffee but otherwise you pay..........how does it work on MSC? Would you be paying for those glorious looking desserts in the pic or are they included? So many questions and so many months left to ask them :D.

Tarponjeff, our TA did everything for us and then told us our revised balance with the 5% discount, It doesn't appear on our actual invoice from MSC just the TA/s. Not long after we hit D+ with RCI my husband worked out how long it would take us to get to Pinnacle - 4 14-night cruises every year for the next 14 years!!!

Gill

Gill - on Splendida on the first cruise there was a charge for food in the Sports bar and also the cakes in the patisserie. Next cruise everything was free, no explanation. In the patisserie they did not have sandwiches on the first cruise but did on the second.

Now me being me I am second guessing that maybe feedback from RCI customers might have prompted this. I know I read on another MSC ship they were not charging for Sports bar food.

Your cakes will be free! They are so good, much better than RCI cafe promenade and a better range.

Did you look on MSC's website about the drinks package explanation for your particular one.?

You can now post questions on the MSC board , lol. You are officially an MSC cruiser, [emoji6][emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Heather

We are booked on Preziosa with Gill and Pete and I'm very excited after reading your wonderful review and seeing your pictures. Thank you and we'll see you in October

Carol x

Hi Heather

We are booked on Preziosa with Gill and Pete and I'm very excited after reading your wonderful review and seeing your pictures. Thank you and we'll see you in October

Carol x

Thank you Carol.

October will be here soon enough, lots to enjoy before then. We will be able to swap notes about our MSC experience.

We are already looking to book another MSC cruise for early next year.

This is all good info. We're looking into flying up to Italy and have found we can combine two MSC cruises to visit both sides of the country. We were going to visit our travel agent to see if we could find a different cruise company to use, however reading these comments MSC looks fine and there appears to be many similarities between it and our experiences sailing Princess (it actually sounds better). I have two cruises booked already before this one though including a RCI and another Princess, so it will be good to try something different anyway.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

I love rcl!! But we were given a free msc cruise and my son wanted Italy! We are doing the aurea experience (haven't decided balcony or suite yet). So all my drinks are included?? My fav ship is Oasis... I know this is smaller but being in port everyday I guess not a big deal? Can you order more than 1 entree in the MDR?

Nice review and the pictures of the ship look great. I keep getting thoughts of book MSC every time I read a review like this. When we were on Freedom last week we were in one of the ports with Divina and I would look over at the ship and wonder if I would be happy on it or, if I were on it, would I be looking over at Freedom and wishing I was aboard it. It is tough trying to make the decision to go from something you know you like to the unknown. It would be easier if vacation time was not so sparse. I do know that I'd very much enjoy being on a ship with a crew that speaks Italian.

This review has be thinking again.:confused:

Hi everyone.

I am so glad my review is still giving people food for thought.

Ocean boy- we did Freedom after the Harmony TA. I know Harmony was the newest kid on the block but the standard of cleanliness on the Freedom was such a let down. If that had been my first RCI experience I would have not booked another cruise with RCI !!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love rcl!! But we were given a free msc cruise and my son wanted Italy! We are doing the aurea experience (haven't decided balcony or suite yet). So all my drinks are included?? My fav ship is Oasis... I know this is smaller but being in port everyday I guess not a big deal? Can you order more than 1 entree in the MDR?

Hi there, yes you can order more than one. As I mentioned in my review the meat was cut very thinly so we would order a third entree to share