Box Wine

2cmu92

I would like to bring a box of wine onboard the Caribbean Princess. I know it is more than I am allowed as it is 3 bottles I believe. Can I just pay the corkage fee on the extra quantity?

Enforcement and application of the rules varies. The official policy states:

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

The phrase "no larger than 750 ml" indicates that 3L boxes aren't actually allowed on the ship. But reports here range from:

• "They wouldn't let it on the sip" (haven't seen that reported in quite some time) to
  • It seemed to have been counted as my one free bottle and I wasn't charged, to
  • Half of the bottle counted as free wine for me and by cabin mate (750ml per person), to
  • I got the first 750ml on for free and had to pay corkage on the other three 750ml portions. (3 x $15).

Due to this range of responses, no one can really predict what will happen to you on the day you board.

• 3 months later...

I did it once, 3 years ago with no problem. This time I am taking the smaller Black Box that I can only get at the local gas station :D. If they confiscate it, they can have it. I am putting it in my checked luggage. Again, if they find it, they can have it!

I did it once, 3 years ago with no problem. This time I am taking the smaller Black Box that I can only get at the local gas station :D. If they confiscate it, they can have it. I am putting it in my checked luggage. Again, if they find it, they can have it!

Quite an upgrade from Ripple!

Logically the 1.5 liter should qualify as two bottles, but enforcement is mixed. The Black Box bladder is also pretty tough and might survive the luggage stack getting onboard.

I never had an issue bring on a 3 or 5 liter size box, I prefer the smaller. I put it in my carry-on bag and have never been question. I've done this more than a doz times. It's perfect in their little refrigerator's.

Good-luck.

Sending in checked luggage might get it flagged more than carry-on.

framer

Break down the box and pack the bladder in a zip lock.

That's correct and the bladder doesn't attract attention when your bag is being scanned either. :D They're looking for bottles & other things.

You really don't need the zip lock bag since the bladder is tougher than a zip lock bag anyway.

Might make it hard to serve!

Your post made me smile. When we use Black Box wines, you need to take the bags out of the box as you near the end..so you can squeeze out the remainder (which can be as much as half a bottle. If you hold up those bags...the white wines look like a bag of urine...and the red wines look like a bag of blood. ARGH! But the wines are not bad. That being said, paying corkage on the overage might have you paying over $50 for a 3 liter Box....and not sure we like their wines.....that much.

Hank