MSC for Me

Cap'n Ron

Looks like MSC's version of the new Princess Ocean Medallion class. It's coming to Meriviglia and Seaside. Can't wait to try it out!

Hope these links work:

https://www.mscfans.it/en/2017/03/08/msc-launches-fleet-wide-innovation-programme-msc-for/

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1864908977080691&id=1429162030655390

Sent from my XT1095 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cap'n Ron

Looks interesting, however not sure if I want my hubby to always know where I am (especially if I'm shopping). Wonder how many people jobs might be cut back (tour excursions, concierge, guest relations) and replaced by technology.

Looks interesting, however not sure if I want my hubby to always know where I am (especially if I'm shopping). Wonder how many people jobs might be cut back (tour excursions, concierge, guest relations) and replaced by technology.

All good points! If it is like the Ocean Medallion setup, I would think it might need the same level of staff or perhaps more, as they are going to offer more personalized services based on your location, etc. For example, I believe Princess will allow you to order food to your lounger at the pool or a drink in a lounge. Staff will be needed to support the customized services. It remains to be seen how MSC will role it out. Very interesting technology for sure.

I do think it will enhance the overall cruise experience and I'm a lover of technology. It's also nice to see MSC beat Carnival Corp to the punch! Of course the true intent of this feature, and what makes it an enhancement worth investing in for the cruise lines, is that it will make it even easier to spend your $$ onboard! I'm sure the analysts have already figured out how much extra revenue per cruise it will generate.

The headline thread on the boards mentions a wristband, it will be interesting to see how this new technology goes down with customers and ship workers.

One main thing will be how it works instead of a cruise card to gain access to your cabin.

The headline thread on the boards mentions a wristband, it will be interesting to see how this new technology goes down with customers and ship workers.

One main thing will be how it works instead of a cruise card to gain access to your cabin.

It will use RFID and Bluetooth technology. Basically when you get near your cabin door, it will unlock. You will not have to touch it to your cabin door like you do with the two difference types of cruise cards we use now.

Here are pics of the MSC version, and the Carnival Corp. version that will make its debut on REGAL PRINCESS later this year. With the Carnival Corp/Princess version, it will be customized with your name and mailed to you prior to the cruise at no charge.

Royal Caribbean has had its own watered down version for a couple years now called the Wow Band. Royal is developing an enhanced program similar to what Carnival Corp. and MSC are doing. I'm sure NCL is not far behind.

The true originator of all this is Disney with their Magic Band at Walt Disney World. In fact one of the main people that helped develop the Magic Bands left the Disney company and went to Carnival Corp. He is leading up the Ocean Medallion program at Carnival Corp.

I'm attending the annual Seatrade Cruise Global convention in my hometown of Fort Lauderdale next week, and expect to hear much more about it, and perhaps even see the devices in person. My favorite part though are all the ship models showcased by the various shipyards from Europe. I'll take many pics of the SEASIDE model for sure!

32487997874_159429bce1_o.png

33289818456_24214812ae_o.png

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome!

It will use RFID and Bluetooth technology. Basically when you get near your cabin door, it will unlock. You will not have to touch it to your cabin door like you do with the two difference types of cruise cards we use now.

Here are pics of the MSC version, and the Carnival Corp. version that will make its debut on REGAL PRINCESS later this year. With the Carnival Corp/Princess version, it will be customized with your name and mailed to you prior to the cruise at no charge.

Royal Caribbean has had its own watered down version for a couple years now called the Wow Band. Royal is developing an enhanced program similar to what Carnival Corp. and MSC are doing. I'm sure NCL is not far behind.

The true originator of all this is Disney with their Magic Band at Walt Disney World. In fact one of the main people that helped develop the Magic Bands left the Disney company and went to Carnival Corp. He is leading up the Ocean Medallion program at Carnival Corp.

I'm attending the annual Seatrade Cruise Global convention in my hometown of Fort Lauderdale next week, and expect to hear much more about it, and perhaps even see the devices in person. My favorite part though are all the ship models showcased by the various shipyards from Europe. I'll take many pics of the SEASIDE model for sure!

Please post some updates after the convention. Would love to hear more about it and definitely look forward to the Seaside model pictures!

If this works like the Disney bands, it will be a real PITA. Went to Disney with some grandkids last year....since I'm the Grandpa, I wind up carrying extra stuff...making it quite awkward to get the band up to the band reader and my thumb to the fingerprint reader at the same time.

I don't think it will be quite as cumbersome, as it doesn't appear to need your thumb and the band. I think it will be smoother integration, but we will see when it debuts on Meraviglia in a few months.

I don't think it will be quite as cumbersome' date=' as it doesn't appear to need your thumb and the band. I think it will be smoother integration, but we will see when it debuts on Meraviglia in a few months.[/quote']

I agree and it's got to be better than a cruise card. I love technology and think this is the future for the cruising world. Cruise Companies wouldn't spend millions researching and integrating this if it wasn't worth it. Bring it on I say.

Does anyone know how hygienic these things will be - can they be sterilised after each use?

Another thing .............. when Voyagers Club was introduced in July 2015 we were told that our cruisecards were now our VC membership cards and would be valid for a period of 3 years from the date on the card, unless another cruise was taken meantime so the cruisecard issued then would become the membership card, etc. If these bands replace the cruisecard, will we have no VC membership cards? At present, I always take my most recent Black cruisecard as I've had difficulties with priority boarding due to erroneous membership level indicated on our cruise tickets.

Edited by Beamafar

Does anyone know how hygienic these things will be - can they be sterilised after each use?

Another thing .............. when Voyagers Club was introduced in July 2015 we were told that our cruisecards were now our VC membership cards and would be valid for a period of 3 years from the date on the card, unless another cruise was taken meantime so the cruisecard issued then would become the membership card, etc. If these bands replace the cruisecard, will we have no VC membership cards? At present, I always take my most recent Black cruisecard as I've had difficulties with priority boarding due to erroneous membership level indicated on our cruise tickets.

It was always nice when we had the old MSC Club black membership cards. At embarkation you only had to wave it and the ground staff would take you immediately to the front of the line. Now you have to pull out your cruise docs which may or may not have your VC status printed on them. Hope the new system will alleviate this heartburn.

I always thought it was just me having a problem with the membership level being omitted from the tickets. I've had at least 5 incidences since the Voyagers Club inception whereby our Black Card status wasn't indicated. I now get emended tickets re-issued due to having problems - it doesn't always fix the issue onboard of receiving incorrect colour cruisecards and now you have to go to the cruise consultant to get correct ones as Guest Services don't deal with it. It's a pain as the times for CC are limited and there are always queues because they now sell future cruises. I'd considered starting a thread on the issue to see if others have the same problem. I've written to MSC on a number of occasions but have got nowhere.

I always thought it was just me having a problem with the membership level being omitted from the tickets. I've had at least 5 incidences since the Voyagers Club inception whereby our Black Card status wasn't indicated. I now get emended tickets re-issued due to having problems - it doesn't always fix the issue onboard of receiving incorrect colour cruisecards and now you have to go to the cruise consultant to get correct ones as Guest Services don't deal with it. It's a pain as the times for CC are limited and there are always queues because they now sell future cruises. I'd considered starting a thread on the issue to see if others have the same problem. I've written to MSC on a number of occasions but have got nowhere.

It happened to me twice. Once they had me as a Classic, and another time a Silver with an entirely different club number. Now my TA knows to insist with MSC to have us as Blacks on the e-docs. In fact our docs for our Fantasia cruise leaving in three days have "Black Socio" printed at the top after our names.

If they are like Magic Bands, you will have your very own bracelet/armband and will not have to share it with previous passengers, so no need to sterilize or worry about the person before you. More than likely you'll be able to reuse the band on future cruises, so it will be yours to do with what you wish.

If they are like Magic Bands' date=' you will have your very own bracelet/armband and will not have to share it with previous passengers, so no need to sterilize or worry about the person before you. More than likely you'll be able to reuse the band on future cruises, so it will be yours to do with what you wish.

That's good to know. Thank you, Cap'n Ron.

Features include, according to MSC:

+ Navigation: this digital way finder will provide guests onboard with advice, guidance and information on what’s on. The technology is similar to smart maps and helps them find their way on the 300+ meter long ships with a 5 meter precision. It also allows guests to locate their children, as needed.

+ Concierge: allows guests to easily book services, restaurants, excursions and more in real time, 24/7.

+ Capture: digital immersive discovery through virtual reality to preview excursions and a gallery with interactive screens showing the unique story of a guest’s trip, which they can share in real time.

+ Organizer: a planning tool for guests to check in with their mobile device, book trips, seats for shows, or the best dinner table, before embarking or when on board.

+ TailorMade: this digital, personal adviser will provide tailored recommendations, based on preferences. Intelligent face recognition will help staff take care of guests in a highly personalized way. Interactive bracelets will connect guests’ to the ship’s services and will activate geo-located suggestions through 3,050 Bluetooth beacons.

MSC for Me will provide guests with over 130 smart features geared toward a fully optimized holiday experience, according to MSC.

These include a dedicated app to help guests tailor their holidays at any point on their journey, whether they are booking their excursions prior to embarkation or a specialty restaurant while aboard.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

What I dislike is they are bracelets/bands. I already wear a Apple watch and can't stand anything on my other wrist (and no I wont not wear it, its my fitness counter). From what I have read your iPhones will work with the system as well sure hope so.

Looks like MSC will have the bracelet based on what has been released so far. The only other line I know of with bracelets is Royal Caribbean's Wow Bands, and they are only on the Quantum Class and HARMONY OF THE SEAS, and you certainly don't have to use them if you prefer a cruise card.

Disney has Magic Bands for kids on the ships, but that is it.

The next generation Magic Band at Disney World features a pendant that is removable from the band, so you have a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums