Those Darn Pool Deck Chairs

JusBeachn

I dare anyone to touch this womans things. Menopause is no joke believe me my wife is going through it and I stay out of the way I learned the hard way. [emoji109]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You rock!! I am sure your wife adores you!

A friend of fine was on the Allure back in December. She said that employees tagged empty chairs with a tag that had a time stamp on it. As they patrolled, they checked the tags. If 45 minutes had passed, and the chair was still empty, the employee removed the belongings. My friend said the system worked quite well and this cruise was right after Christmas...up until New Years...so the boat was definitely at capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Miracle Serenity deck attendants will do this, only when asked. Then they're very diligent.

I don't see how 'chair reservations' would work; I enjoy lounging by the pool but only for a couple hours at a time based on when I feel like it, when we get back from port, and the weather. Not really able to anticipate those things so people would be doing what they do now and reserving chairs all day.

If everyone would keep their stuff with them and simply use a lounger when at or near it (so fine to leave stuff when in the pool, using nearest bathroom, or getting a drink from the nearest bar... not when going to eat, back to the cabin, or to find a friend) this wouldn't be an issue. Their are ample chairs for everyone who is out on the pool deck at any given time.

Now, I've never had an issue finding a chair since I don't need to be front row at the pool but I would ask and attendant move someone's things if there were literally no chairs anywhere to be found. But I have no issues leaving the chairs close to the pool for parents watching their kids and taking a chair on one of the higher decks. There's always a few to be had somewhere.

There are not ample chairs on the deck, that's why this is an issue. We were on the Liberty earlier this month. The problem is the time frame of people walking away. You don't know how long anyone has been away from their chair. Its to the point that a couple cannot go to the pool together. My wife and I went in shifts to grab some lunch, or walk down to the pool. As far as moving someones things that can get tricky. Towels, flipflops, and things like that are no problem. But backpacks and wallets are another story. Like stated above a couple of different times. Nothing is going to happen until Carnival takes it seriously. Until then, just move stuff immediately after they step away.

Nothing is going to happen until Carnival takes it seriously. Until then, just move stuff immediately after they step away.

If you start removing peoples items the moment they step away from a chair, you are likely to find yourself in an altercation when they return momentarily from the bathroom, bar or whatever other quick trip called them away. If you do this then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Being menopausal does not give one permission to be selfish.

She was JOKING for goodness sake. What she said was describing a situation where she was at the hot tub for awhile.

Look, I think this is all quite easy. In my mind it's easy to tell the difference between folks that have been using the chairs for the day and are away for 15-30 minutes and the folks who think they can 'reserve' them for the day without using them. The former never bothers me. The latter gets no sympathy when I move their crap used as a 'reservation'.

Chair hogging is NOT just a cruise ship thing...go to any beach or pool resort,and you'll see the same thing. Right now, the chairs directly next to the pool are so close together, that you have to crawl onto them from the foot of the lounger...not a pretty sight, or fun to do. We generally find plenty of loungers on the deck above the pool...more breeze up there, too, and more space! When I want to take a dip, it's a short hop down the steps!

I agree! It is a lot easier and less negative attitudes from people. I'm on vacation! I want to relax, not argue over chairs!

She was JOKING for goodness sake. What she said was describing a situation where she was at the hot tub for awhile.

Look, I think this is all quite easy. In my mind it's easy to tell the difference between folks that have been using the chairs for the day and are away for 15-30 minutes and the folks who think they can 'reserve' them for the day without using them. The former never bothers me. The latter gets no sympathy when I move their crap used as a 'reservation'.

And the people who discuss whether they're going to sit in their "sun chairs" or "shade chairs" on Serenity when every spot has been claimed and there are people walking around looking for a place to sit. :mad:

i agree 100% ...there are all sorts of loungers besides the ones by the pool...i prefer one level up, closer to the ocean...no problem getting a lounger up there

Whether there are loungers available up there depends on the cruise and the time of day. And in the early morning, when all the loungers by the pool are saved by towels and flipflops, those pool chairs may be the only ones in the sunlight. Really, the last straw for me was when I saw an elderly man with a cane searching for a place to sit down outside for a moment at 8 a.m. without having to walk up the steps and finally giving up. I regret not running down and moving someone's towel for him.

There are not ample chairs on the deck, that's why this is an issue.

I've never been on a cruise where every single outdoor lounge chair was taken. There may not be one right by the pool but every ship has 2-3 outdoor deck levels full of chairs...

df9065f7aec19d96c00454692b5f806d.jpg

I've never been on a cruise where every single outdoor lounge chair was taken. There may not be one right by the pool but every ship has 2-3 outdoor deck levels full of chairs...

I have. We have been on cruises where we had to search all the decks for 30 mins+ looking for somewhere to sit. We're not picky, we don't have to be near the pool, so it shouldn't be that hard to find a single seat on the entire boat in the sun. People reserving more seats than they need perpetuate this problem until it becomes this much of an issue. I've seen it first hand

There's already a 'rule' that you should not save chairs - what makes you think the 'rule' to activate the timer will be followed? LOL.

The timer/device needs to be automatic/self starting - e.g the weight of a 'body' on the chair keeps it dormant but once the body is 'off' then the timer starts ....for the 30 minute time limit.....if you (or another body) occupies the chair then it stops and would restart next time the chair is vacated :) Maybe even have a light on it - e.g. red light means timer is 'clicking' down - but when green light appears - the chair can be yours!!! (and yes spring loaded so it 'throws' off whatever is on the seat would be an exciting bonus ha ha ha).

Actually, it would be better (and most likely cheaper) to make it human activated. If someone forgets to activate the timer, too bad, you just lost your chair due to your incompetence. Activate the timer and you have 30 minutes to piddle away somewhere else.

I often stay in the pool or hot tub for more than 10 minutes. God forbid the person who moves this MENOPAUSAL woman's stuff. Lol! I heard a few people say 10 minutes and move the stuff. That is insane :eek:

I dare anyone to touch this womans things. Menopause is no joke believe me my wife is going through it and I stay out of the way I learned the hard way. [emoji109]

Really? Do menopausal women like being out into the brig and then kicked off ship? Does a 160 pound menopausal women think she can take a 250 pound man? I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Really? Do menopausal women like being out into the brig and then kicked off ship? Does a 160 pound menopausal women think she can take a 250 pound man? I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Never under estimate an angry woman

And most women have a husband nearby so don't get yourself hurt.

It's just a joke about menopause come on people

The worst chair hogs I've ever seen, was a couple that were on deck at 6 a.m. ( I was getting coffee) that were actually unstacking the loungers while the crew were still washing the deck.

They sat up 10-12 chairs put things on each chair and left.

About 3 hours later their group started to trickle in. We were across the pool from them and we were on deck about 7:30.

Now that is selfish!

Never under estimate an angry woman

And most women have a husband nearby so don't get yourself hurt.

It's just a joke about menopause come on people

Yes, I get it's a joke. Just a rather crude and unfunny one.

The worst chair hogs I've ever seen, was a couple that were on deck at 6 a.m. ( I was getting coffee) that were actually unstacking the loungers while the crew were still washing the deck.

They sat up 10-12 chairs put things on each chair and left.

About 3 hours later their group started to trickle in. We were across the pool from them and we were on deck about 7:30.

Now that is selfish!

What would have been fun was to restack their chairs 12 high and put the crap on the top. Too much work, but fun.

You know where this is also starting to happen? The darn town July 4th parade. Folks thinking the can set up 50 yards along the street 24 hours in advance with tents and everything. All for a darn 45 minute parade with the fire truck and local kids soccer team. In MY day you went out there an hour ahead, set up your single chair, and chatted with the neighbors while you waited.

Just off the Conquest last week... and i can say... the chair police were out in full force. This was my 10th cruise with carnival... First time i have ever seen them move peoples stuff... First they put stickers on.... then 30 minutes later... they came ant took stuff. I was soooo happy to see this enforced. Now these were chairs that were empty for a good hour or more. I know as i was on deck at 7am everyday!! DW and i love the sun... maybe hope just yet. 😊

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

The crew aboard the Sunshine have been doing a great job at enforcing the chair policy all this week. 30 minute warning stickers and then everything is removed. 😎

THIS! I had the same positive experience on my February Sunshine cruise. (y)

Ok, so where are all these chair hoggers to defend their actions. With all the "Hoggers" onboard, I know some of them are reading this.

Please try and defend your actions, theres a lot of people that don't think what you do is right, so please respond...Thanks