White pass train excursion or a relaxing day at the Greenhouse spa onboard?/

donnadoll

I would normally recommend seeing the area around Skagway without hesitation, but there is such a thing as shore excursion burnout. I experienced this on the 7-day Canada/New England cruise with only one sea day.

We rented an Avis car in Skagway and drove to Carcross by ourselves. Perhaps some alone time for the two of you might be the answer.

igraf

We will be sailing on the Noordam this June 2017 and are trying to map out our excursions for each day.

In Ketchikan we will be taking a float plane over the Misty Fjords National Monument with Island Wings.

In Juneau we will do a Whale watching excursion with a visit toGlacier Bay with Juneau Tours.

We will get off the ship in Seward adn travel by train to Anchorage, I've read this is just beautiful scenery. The next day we will take a train into Denali, even more beautiful scenery and wildlife. The next day we will take a bus tour deep into the wilderness at Denali..The Wilderness Tundra Tour. So trying to decide what to do with 12 hours in Skagway. T he most popular of course is the White Summit train excursion. But do we want to take yet a third train ride?? I'm contemplating the ides of just wondering around the town and then when no one else is on the ship, enjoying the facilities at the spa. A massage and then just relax for hours on the ceramic loungers and the steam rooms and such. Something my husband and I have never done together.

Which would you choose??

The White Pass Railway is an iconic Alaska excursion, but the floatplane will be more memorable. We did a private charter with Carlin Air and it's probably among our most memorable excursions ever. Skagway is pretty walkable. It reminds me of a scaled down Caribbean port set in a frontier town. (Complete with a Diamonds International!)

I'd opt for the train, but you'll be fine without it.

On a clear day, the train up is a unique experience. As you pass Dead Horse Gulch, and see what those poor animals had been through before they couldn't go any further---it is heartbreaking. You can still see the path they tramped down.

Taking the bus back down would give a different perspective.

The museum at the train station is worth going through before the ride up, if possible, but even after will give a tremendous perspective.

Walk around the town, not for the purpose of shopping, but to see the facades of the buildings. Read the sign in the Arctic Brotherhood Lodge. The architecture throughout town is interesting.

If you don't care to take the train, there are other interesting shore excursions you can take. A spa day would be the least of my plans. Skagway is one of my two favorite Alaska ports.

I think RuthC has given you a really good description of the White Pass and Skagway option. I also want to suggest that if you take the train up and bus down again that you be sure to sit on the left side of the train car, facing forward toward the engine because you'll have uninterrupted views that way, unless heights scare you.

The train was the absolute highlight of our cruise. We went in early June, and there was still a lot of snow on the higher reaches of the line. The scenery was magnificent. We spent most of the journey on the open platform at the end of the carriage. We booked with an independent tour company, and went up on the train and down by bus, so you get to see varied scenery. We even saw a bear and her cubs on the side of the road. The bus driver was very informative. Got back to town with plenty of time to wander around Skagway,which was our favourite port in Alaska. I would love to do the whole trip over again.

We will be sailing on the Noordam this June 2017 and are trying to map out our excursions for each day.

In Ketchikan we will be taking a float plane over the Misty Fjords National Monument with Island Wings.

In Juneau we will do a Whale watching excursion with a visit toGlacier Bay with Juneau Tours.

We will get off the ship in Seward adn travel by train to Anchorage, I've read this is just beautiful scenery. The next day we will take a train into Denali, even more beautiful scenery and wildlife. The next day we will take a bus tour deep into the wilderness at Denali..The Wilderness Tundra Tour. So trying to decide what to do with 12 hours in Skagway. T he most popular of course is the White Summit train excursion. But do we want to take yet a third train ride?? I'm contemplating the ides of just wondering around the town and then when no one else is on the ship, enjoying the facilities at the spa. A massage and then just relax for hours on the ceramic loungers and the steam rooms and such. Something my husband and I have never done together.

Which would you choose??

Just my opinion but both my wife and I feel anything w the word spa on it is a total waste of time and money.

If the spa experience turns you on so much, you can always do it at home. However, since you have never bothered to do it at home, it is obviously not all that important to you.

Can you see the scenery around Skagway from your home?

DON

You don't have to be a rail enthusiast to appreciate this trip. It most certainly is not "just a train ride". One of the best things about the ancient carriages - and the reproductions - is the ability to stand outside on open platforms.

As for booking the train direct with the rail company, I looked into that and noticed the savings over a HAL booked excursion was just a few dollars. Anyone with mobility issues will appreciate the train boards alongside the ship for those booking with the cruise line. I understand there are some berths which do not have a rail line as close to the ship as others. I noticed that some passengers from one ship that was not adjacent to a rail line were shuttled the short distance.

Thank You all so much for your strongly favorable suggestions for the White Pass rail vs a spa day. The rail/bus excursion on the ship is only available in a foreign language..I'm sure there is an English narration also. From what I am hearing form you is the preference of booking there an independent tour company who offer a mini-bus instead of a tour bus. I have decided to book the rail/bus tour with Chilkoot. 8:30 AM bus up rail down. We will try to seat on the right side of the train going down?? It was suggested left side going up, so I am assumimg same rail.but maybe not. Now I need help with this. What side of the train is preferable going back to Skagway?

Thank You

Donna

Now I need help with this. What side of the train is preferable going back to Skagway?

If the seatbacks have already been flipped when you board the train, you want your right side against the window.

We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam (Vancouver-Vancouver) arriving in Skagway Aug 29. The trip I see is 3 1/2 hours train up and back but changing seats at the summit so you see both sides. We're not early risers so the 1 pm trip would be better for us. How far out is it recommended to book?

Take the first train in the morning up and down, then have lunch at Skagway Brewing Company. It's on the main street just before downtown turns into small houses. http://www.skagwaybrewing.com/new-page

....and then if you are up to it past the small houses, keeping walking out to the town cemetery to see the graves stones of some of their more notorious historical characters, and a lovely short hike beyond the cemetery to a gorgeous water fall. About an hour walking detour.

Also in Skagway on one of the side streets in the downtown area we found a souvenir shop that sold really lovely, well crafted items and small totem poles ...that were not mass produced garish facsimiles clearly made in China. Sorry I can't remember the name of the shop, I think it was a man's name. Worth seeking out if, you find the more typical Alaska souvenir gimrack visually exhausting..

We've done the train twice and both times it was beautiful. The second time we did the bus trip down on the other side and went to a gold rush encampment. Lots of fun and interesting facts. Big thing to remember is to take your passport, you will be going into Canada for about 1/2 an hour and then back into the US.

We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam (Vancouver-Vancouver) arriving in Skagway Aug 29. The trip I see is 3 1/2 hours train up and back but changing seats at the summit so you see both sides. We're not early risers so the 1 pm trip would be better for us. How far out is it recommended to book?

On Aug 29 there will be 4 ships in Skagway - a Celebrity, 2 Princess and ya'll. There are limited seats on the train so if it was me I'd go ahead and book soon. If you change your mind you can cancel later but at least you'll seats.