Business Class flying!

goldenrod

I do. I fly first class if it makes sense when doing the math. Typically there are no baggage fees in first and one can usually check two bags for free. The weight limits on the bags are generally higher too. I've only been on one cruise (Alaska last year) but the same thing holds true for non-cruise related flights.

Agree. Not sure what this has to do with Alaska. Mods will probably move it.

Fortunately, we are able to fly business or first exclusively, always looking for the best deal in using award seats, and $$$ when award seats aren't available.

We flew Premium Economy our last two trips to USA (for Alaska), but have already decided to lash out and go business class for our Iceland/British Isles cruises. Such a long flight comfort will be most welcomed.

Agree. Not sure what this has to do with Alaska.
All that I can think of is that I would not consider the expense of flying business class from Boston, New York, Philadelphia, or Atlanta (the metro areas within which I've lived) to ports in Florida but I would absolutely consider flying business class to Seattle or Vancouver. That's a very personal thing and very much slanted towards folks who live on the east coast.

Interesting - never seen Business Class on a domestic flight but then again I don't think Alaska Airlines has it at all. I suppose some of the coast to coast flights would. Former employer based in Australia had a policy for a while to allow Business Class on flights over 8 hours - mostly meaning US to Australia flights - but the one time I did the trip they were in cost cutting mode so it was coach for me. :loudcry:

We flew Premium Economy our last two trips to USA (for Alaska), but have already decided to lash out and go business class for our Iceland/British Isles cruises. Such a long flight comfort will be most welcomed.

We came back to UK Business class from a transatlantic last year. Finding a plane from Montreal with flat bedded seats took a fair amount of research but was worth the effort.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I fly business/first every chance I get. :) Just had it JFK/BCN 3-1 and expect to get it tomorrow going back. :)

No, I don't pay for it. A golden perk of nonrev travel.

I highly doubt you are flying into JFK tmmrw. Major blizzard predicted and thousands of flights cancellled already. State of emergency declared by Cuomo

I highly doubt you are flying into JFK tmmrw. Major blizzard predicted and thousands of flights cancellled already. State of emergency declared by Cuomo

Yep- heading to Miami instead. :) It's the end of the trip, so no rush to get home. But, need to be back in Miami 3-23 as I'm headed back to Buenos Aries. Have a week to get back and forth, should be "fun".

Just an FYI - we were headed to NZ for a cruise, so I researched first class seats from the US. 14 hours of flight time - worth it! I checked everything I could, then checked Choice Air and the prices were HALF anything I found on my own. Absolutely worth it !!!

Interesting - never seen Business Class on a domestic flight but then again I don't think Alaska Airlines has it at all. I suppose some of the coast to coast flights would. Former employer based in Australia had a policy for a while to allow Business Class on flights over 8 hours - mostly meaning US to Australia flights - but the one time I did the trip they were in cost cutting mode so it was coach for me. :loudcry:

We paid a small up charge to upgrade to first class Alaska Air at checkin day of flight from YVR-LAX...one of the few carriers other than Hawaiian that has this option we've done. So yes...Alaska Air does have first class ;)

Alaska Air definitely has Business class. Usually 3-4 rows. I always use it from LAX to YVR.

I think there has been a substantial amount of confusing information posted here. Most domestic/short haul flights have two cabins -- coach or economy and first class. Sometimes they also offer enhanced economy (United calls it economy plus) which usually just means a few extra inches of leg room but not a separate class of service ( though I believe It is Delta who is looking to offer a separate class of enhanced economy on some domestic routes). On long haul or international flights many aircraft offer multiple classes -- economy, premium economy, business and first. Not all planes and routes offer all classes. Many airlines are getting rid of first class on their long haul routes and enhancing business class. In general business class on many long haul aircraft is superior to first class on domestic or short haul aircraft in terms of seating (no flat beds), meals and amenities.

We have booked Alaska Air first class for our July flights to Anchorage. While it is technically an international flight, the aircraft on our two legs are configured with coach and first class. There is no business class. And the first class seats are narrower and with less recline than the seats we are used to in international business class.

I can suggest that anyone looking for a premium class of flight carefully review the cabin layout of each class of aircraft used on any flight you are considering on a site such as Seatguru before deciding if the additional cost is worth it to you.

I think there has been a substantial amount of confusing information posted here. Most domestic/short haul flights have two cabins -- coach or economy and first class. Sometimes they also offer enhanced economy (United calls it economy plus) which usually just means a few extra inches of leg room but not a separate class of service ( though I believe It is Delta who is looking to offer a separate class of enhanced economy on some domestic routes). On long haul or international flights many aircraft offer multiple classes -- economy, premium economy, business and first. Not all planes and routes offer all classes. Many airlines are getting rid of first class on their long haul routes and enhancing business class. In general business class on many long haul aircraft is superior to first class on domestic or short haul aircraft in terms of seating (no flat beds), meals and amenities.

We have booked Alaska Air first class for our July flights to Anchorag While it is technically an international flight, e. the aircraft on our two legs are configured with coach and first class. There is no business class. And the first class seats are narrower and with less recline than the seats we are used to in international business class.

I can suggest that anyone looking for a premium class of flight carefully review the cabin layout of each class of aircraft used on any flight you are considering on a site such as Seatguru before deciding if the additional cost is worth it to you.

Forums

I am confused where you say that your flight is an "international" flight. You are going from one US state to another US state. While I can take Air Canada from LA to Vancouver, I cannot take Air Canada home to Los Angeles because the flight cannot fly US to US.

Sorry for the confusion -- I was thinking of our return flight from Vancouver when I mentioned it being international.

And when you said you fly from LAX to YVR in business I believe you meant "first." Don't think they have any aircraft with business class on this route. For that matter I am not sure Alaska has any aircraft with business class.

This is where it gets confusing -- international business class is usually better than domestic first. Go figure! This may be part of the reason the United has recently rebranded their international business class as "Polaris" class.

Sorry for the confusion -- I was thinking of our return flight from Vancouver when I mentioned it being international.

And when you said you fly from LAX to YVR in business I believe you meant "first." Don't think they have any aircraft with business class on this route. For that matter I am not sure Alaska has any aircraft with business class.

This is where it gets confusing -- international business class is usually better than domestic first. Go figure! This may be part of the reason the United has recently rebranded their international business class as "Polaris" class.

Yes, Alaska is First Class not Business......

I love international business class...much bigger seats.

International flights....the ONLY way to go is business class! We have been able to get great deals our last two trips to Europe and the difference in how we felt on arrival was AMAZING! And we were given special passes to the faster passport control area. Be sure to take advantage of the arrivals lounge when landing....have a shower, some food (at Heathrow you can get a full English breakfast cooked to order)...then use your choice of transportation to London or whatever you destination is. The arrivals lounge is fantastic!

When flying trans Atlantic we always pay extra for economy comfort and that helps...however we booked Econ comfort in nov for JFK to Copenhagen flights for July ..with in a week I noticed delta one ( which Is their business class/ first class) was only $600 more RT ..Delta allowed us to pay the difference and upgrade to Delta one. THe res agent told me that the delta one fares can have lower rates in the summer with less businessmen traveling ...Am very excited .

Many of our friends fly business or first; because they work for an airline or used to work for an airline. Or one of their children work for an airline. Or they tie a holiday in with a business trip, or travel so much on business they have enough points to go business when on leisure.

As none of the above apply to us, unfortunately (!!) we look at the price difference. So we could get an economy sale ticket, Sydney to San Francisco for around $A1000, business on sale is around $5000 and first about $!0000. So the return on economy for the two of us is $2,000 and first is $20,000. As my husband likes to point out, that $18,000 would go a long way towards another decent holiday.

Alaska Air definitely has Business class. Usually 3-4 rows. I always use it from LAX to YVR.

I know Alaska has 1st Class - booked it for flight to Mpls this Spring using miles and usually try for $100 upgrade at airport when we book coach. Those 3-4 rows in front (3 on 737-800, 4 on 737-900) are 1st Class.

Not exactly related but was dismayed on last Alaska flight when I found out that the premium seating (like 1st row in coach) for something like $35 more no longer comes with one free drink. :(

One of the hidden benefits of flying in a higher fare category (whether it be a coach ticket or a premium cabin) is better handling when things go to poo. It still won't make the plane fly if it's broken or if the weather is not conducive to safe/legal flight, but if there are issues, the airline will be more adept at rebooking you, and more willing to rebook through another airline if that's what it takes.