Wifi package in port

mandygal00

If I want to buy the unlimited wifi package for my 7 night Eastern Caribbean, it's $224 USD for 1 device. But I've read that once the ship docks in port, the wifi is turned off. So my question is, why is it so expensive for the wifi when it's only available for half my cruise? We are docking in 3 ports. Would I be better off just buying the wifi for the sea days?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I want to buy the unlimited wifi package for my 7 night Eastern Caribbean, it's $224 USD for 1 device. But I've read that once the ship docks in port, the wifi is turned off. So my question is, why is it so expensive for the wifi when it's only available for half my cruise? We are docking in 3 ports. Would I be better off just buying the wifi for the sea days?

WiFi is left on in ports. The Cell tower is turned off within 5 miles of the port.

I have a feeling you misinterpreted something.

The wifi is turned off early in the morning you return to the port of Embarkation/Disembarkation. (Like 7 am)

Any remaining minutes are gone.

Everything else works fine for the whole of your cruise.

Wi-Fi isn't turned off in Disembarkation or embarcation day. That is so that people are on the B2B cruise can use their Wi-Fi all the time.

We are just back from a B2B.

The wifi WAS turned off the morning of turnaround day! :(

We were warned about it in our turnaround package so at least it wasn't a surprise.

We are just back from a B2B.

The wifi WAS turned off the morning of turnaround day! :(

We were warned about it in our turnaround package so at least it wasn't a surprise.

Good to know this, Karen. We are doing a B2B out of Rome in May. Our children are meeting us in Civitavecchia on turnaround day. I was planning to use the WiFi calling on my iPhone, or messaging with iPad, on where and how to meet us. We have so many Internet minutes with Elite Plus that I was iffy on buying the Verizon International daily plan. Now I will be sure and set that up before we leave. ;)

BTW- On an Oceania cruise last month the WiFi was disabled in a few ports. They claimed it was a downed signal. :rolleyes: Miraculously, as soon as we would untie from the pier, the WiFi would work again.:confused:

Good to know this, Karen. We are doing a B2B out of Rome in May. Our children are meeting us in Civitavecchia on turnaround day. I was planning to use the WiFi calling on my iPhone, or messaging with iPad, on where and how to meet us. We have so many Internet minutes with Elite Plus that I was iffy on buying the Verizon International daily plan. Now I will be sure and set that up before we leave. ;)

BTW- On an Oceania cruise last month the WiFi was disabled in a few ports. They claimed it was a downed signal. :rolleyes: Miraculously, as soon as we would untie from the pier, the WiFi would work again.:confused:

My husband always gets the Verizon plan. Just know that if you leave it on and sail near a port it might activate. He's had to pay many $10 charges for sea days when he's forgotten to put the phone on airplane. :o

Thanks! This will be the 3rd or 4th time we have used the International Calling plan. I am always scared that I will leave the phone on! :eek: I did leave it on when we were pulling out of port one day in Canada. Thankfully, I remembered before too long. We must not have made it out to sea far enough because I never received any extra charges other than the plan.