Low sodium diet, how does Princess handle it?

Tweedy

I've recently had to go with a low sodium diet due to heart issues and haven't been on a cruise since this change.

I'm wondering how Princess goes about handling those with dietary needs. I've already contacted Princess through the personalizer and received an email back confirming notification. I guess my question is are they sensitive to needs such as mine and is it possible to get low sodium meals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They do an excellent job handling allergies and other dietary limitations in the main dining room and specialty restaurants - not as good a job in the buffet. There are plenty of threads here with people talking about food allergies.

Talk to the head waiter as soon as you go to the dining room. Any discussion of this kind should be with a head waiter - not with your waiter. For the first night, he will work with you on what you can eat. Then each evening at dinner the head waiter will bring you the menu for the next night - and for the next day's lunch if it's a sea day - and you will order for the next day. He will know which items meet your limitations and which ones do not. With ordering one day ahead, he will know which items can be modified to meet your restrictions. I suspect they would be able to modify almost anything on the menu to be low sodium.

This works very well in traditional dining where you have the same waiter and the same table each evening. It also works in anytime dining, but you will need to do a little extra. It is easier - but not necessary - if you go to the same dining room each evening so that you are talking with the same head waiter. Make sure and tell your waiter as soon as you are seated that you ordered the day before - in fact, it's probably a good idea to mention it to the heat waiter or hostess who assigns you a table. If you go to the same dining room, the head waiter will remember you.

At breakfast, you will need to ask the head waiter what is appropriate. I don't think they normally take advance breakfast orders. If you are eating lunch in the buffet (which is all that is open on port days), ask to speak with a supervisor in the kitchen about your restrictions.

With a low sodium diet, I don't think you have to be as careful about cross-contamination as people with some food allergies. That's not a problem in the dining room, since the chefs know to avoid it when preparing special plates for people with allergies. You cannot avoid cross-contamination in the buffet, since passengers will switch serving utensils. People with this concern can order with the buffet supervisor who will have the plate prepared in the kitchen to avoid cross-contamination. If you would not be bothered by a little sodium on a serving utensil getting in your food, then you won't have to worry about that.

I always travel with low sodium on Princess. They are better than I am (I cheat). If you add it to your personalizer, you will receive a card in your stateroom that you will give to the Head Waiter on the first night.

I don't salt any of the foods I prepare for myself, so don't miss it on the ship. Although...All of their soups are very salty. French onion soup comes without the cheese (bummer). They leave out the potatoes but substitute with really good vegetables. You will have to order a baked potato if you really want one.

Breakfast and the buffet can become very challenging. I do not have to be on a saltless diet so am okay if I eat with moderation in the other locations.

Enjoy your cruising. It can be worked out for your health.

My husband also has to be on a very strict low sodium diet too. We've sailed with Princess on about 4 cruises since and they have been very accommodating. As someone previously mentioned, the waiter brought the head waiter to speak with us on the first night and made recommendations. The head waiter would bring the next day's menus the night prior so my husband could pre order his meals. We usually choose anytime dining and if we don't get the same waiter, we just tell the waiter that we've preordered the meal and give the head waiters name. They have always been able to find the meal. On our last cruise, it seemed that regardless of where we sat, the same head waiter helped us with the menus each night.

I was even impressed with Princess being so accommodating when even at the pizza place by the pool, they made him a pizza to order!

We tended to stay away from the buffet. Although for breakfast there was the made it order omelette in the horizon court on the Regal princess so we could do that.

You won't have a problem on the cruise with finding low sodium meals.

They do an excellent job handling allergies and other dietary limitations in the main dining room and specialty restaurants - not as good a job in the buffet. There are plenty of threads here with people talking about food allergies.

Talk to the head waiter as soon as you go to the dining room. Any discussion of this kind should be with a head waiter - not with your waiter. For the first night, he will work with you on what you can eat. Then each evening at dinner the head waiter will bring you the menu for the next night - and for the next day's lunch if it's a sea day - and you will order for the next day. He will know which items meet your limitations and which ones do not. With ordering one day ahead, he will know which items can be modified to meet your restrictions. I suspect they would be able to modify almost anything on the menu to be low sodium.

This works very well in traditional dining where you have the same waiter and the same table each evening. It also works in anytime dining, but you will need to do a little extra. It is easier - but not necessary - if you go to the same dining room each evening so that you are talking with the same head waiter. Make sure and tell your waiter as soon as you are seated that you ordered the day before - in fact, it's probably a good idea to mention it to the heat waiter or hostess who assigns you a table. If you go to the same dining room, the head waiter will remember you.

At breakfast, you will need to ask the head waiter what is appropriate. I don't think they normally take advance breakfast orders. If you are eating lunch in the buffet (which is all that is open on port days), ask to speak with a supervisor in the kitchen about your restrictions.

With a low sodium diet, I don't think you have to be as careful about cross-contamination as people with some food allergies. That's not a problem in the dining room, since the chefs know to avoid it when preparing special plates for people with allergies. You cannot avoid cross-contamination in the buffet, since passengers will switch serving utensils. People with this concern can order with the buffet supervisor who will have the plate prepared in the kitchen to avoid cross-contamination. If you would not be bothered by a little sodium on a serving utensil getting in your food, then you won't have to worry about that.

Excellent description of how it works.

When the next day's menus are brought to you, they also can bring the breakfast menu.

And if you want to dine in a specialty restaurant, go there the evening before to discuss your needs with the headwaiter there.

I've recently had to go with a low sodium diet due to heart issues and haven't been on a cruise since this change.

I'm wondering how Princess goes about handling those with dietary needs. I've already contacted Princess through the personalizer and received an email back confirming notification. I guess my question is are they sensitive to needs such as mine and is it possible to get low sodium meals.

You have done the right thing by letting them know ahead of time. They will take very good care of you. I just think you should tell your head waiter. Just to make sure.

Tony

I too am on a salt restricted diet. Because of so many diet restrictions, Princess tends to prepare their food with little or no salt. That said you must manage your orders, such as no cheese, bread which contains a lot of salt, butter, etc

Thank very much to everyone for your input. It definitely puts my mind at ease. I'm nervous but looking forward to taking a vacation. It has been a year and a half since I've been able to go anywhere and so in need of this upcoming trip in November.

If you don't see a headwaiter when you get to the dining room don't worry - the waiter will usually ask if you have any dietary issues when you sit down and will call the headwaiter (guys in the white jackets) over. Remember his/her name, since they will check on you every night even if you move around the Anytime Dining room. If there are two Anytime rooms on your ship you might want to always eat in the same one. While technically they supervise the waiters, they spend most of their time working directly with the customers. And sometimes they even whip up special courses at table side.