Downside to all-inclusive cruise pricing?

TwoCalBears

We're wondering about possible down sides of the trend toward all-inclusive cruise pricing. For one thing, when you have to sign a check for drinks, etc., the servers get to know your name and greet you during the voyage. We've seen less of this greeting you by name on the all-inclusive cruises. For another thing, tipping on a service check allows one to recognize good service early in the cruise; this marks you as an appreciative person (compare giving someone who's gone above and beyond an envelope with a tip at the end of the voyage). Do any veteran cruisers have any thoughts on this subject?

No idea what the OP includes in "all inclusive".

The downside for me -- assuming all people cruise the same way and taking my ability to choose what I pay for away. I don't drink alcohol / soda / mocktails -- don't really want to subsidize those that do. I don't participate in excursions -- don't really want to subsidize those that do. I do drink coffee -- not foo foo stuff -- just good brewed black coffee -- would love everyone to subsidize that so I don't have to purchase a coffee card on Princess.

Nope -- don't take my ability to choose how I cruise away. Once that happens cruises go right up there on the list with AIs --just won't happen.

We're wondering about possible down sides of the trend toward all-inclusive cruise pricing. For one thing, when you have to sign a check for drinks, etc., the servers get to know your name and greet you during the voyage. We've seen less of this greeting you by name on the all-inclusive cruises. For another thing, tipping on a service check allows one to recognize good service early in the cruise; this marks you as an appreciative person (compare giving someone who's gone above and beyond an envelope with a tip at the end of the voyage). Do any veteran cruisers have any thoughts on this subject?

We dislike "all inclusive" for different reasons: We don't want to pay for a lot of things that we won't use at all, or if we did use, would have spent a tiny fraction of the amount worked into the "included" total charge.

We don't take cruise line excursions.

We drink very little "booze". (Now, if they'd include "fine wine", we're all in favor. For now, we'll use our "booze money" to purchase nice bottles of wine on board, or bring our own and pay corkage.)

We always arrange our own air transportation to and from a cruise.

If they are going to "include" anything, how about the mandatory "gratuities", which everyone is expected to pay anyway, so it "should" be considered part of the cruise fare.

As for tips, we often leave "real" tips and try to hand them out for especially good/pleasant service even if there is no "bill". We try to hand the cash directly to the person, be it after a nice meal/service or something else. When possible, we thank them for <whatever>, so they know we noticed what they did and appreciate it.

The next cruise we will be taking includes four perks. While we could have gotten the cruise w/o the perks, adding up our "useage' it make sense for us to go with the all included perks. We always purchase some sort of drink package anyway and this gives us more flexibility and no limitations. While i don't always use the internet package, I'm the only one that doesn't use it and having unlimited internet will work out great for our family. Gratuities are a given, and I can still recognize outstanding service with cash directly to the individuals. I always complete the cards recognizing waitstaff and stewards because this is how they get additional time off, move up and get additional perks of their own. It means a lot to them and only takes a few minutes of my time. OBC is included. I always do my fair share of shopping on the ship and there is always an excursion. While I normally book directly with the vendor, lately, I've found that the vendor I choose is the vendor used by the cruise line and when I call them, they refer me to the cruise line for booking as they have a contract with the cruise line. I've also found that some of the excursion prices booked through the cruise line and the price of the private vendor are close enough and in some cases exactly the same, so I'm not hesitant to book with the cruise line, especially if it's at a port where a delay could mean missing the ship when it pulls out. We add up the cost of booking the inclusions and the cost of paying cafeteria style for what we know we would purchase. In the case of our upcoming cruise, the all included worked best for us. I'd suggest doing the comparison before deciding which works best for you.

This is a discussion about something that is simply not happening. Sure, some things are included (or are capable of being included): auto tips, drinks packages, specialty restaurants. However, these packages are largely optional add-ons, and therefore cannot be seriously referred to as "all included". One major thing which used to be included in the basic fare is now essentially excluded: quality dining experience. The MDR food and service quality has undeniably been down-graded with the introduction of specialty restaurants. Even entertainment, which has always been seen as included, is being carved out on some lines - some of which now require reservations - and some even have special seating areas for certain classes of passengers.

No: if anything, cruising is becoming more a la carte rather than becoming more all inclusive.

I did a river cruise (Uniworld) that had all-inclusive pricing. The only thing on my acct. at the end was a charge for postcard stamps that I purchased from the front desk.

In this instance I appreciated the all inclusive aspect. I was traveling by myself and had never visited any of the cities or countries on the cruise, so I was happy to take the ship's included tours which were very good by the way. At dinner there were 2 wines and they were poured generously. All drinks - sodas, cocktails, water, coffee, etc. - were included. Tips to waiters, room stewards, tour guides, and bus and shuttle drivers were also included. No currency conversion issues.

Have never taken an ocean cruise with similar arrangements, and depending on the itinerary, don't know if that would work for me. In this instance it did, and I have another river cruise booked with the same line for later this year.

Roz

Name recognition has more to do with the expected norms of behavior for, and experience of, a particular cruise line's personnel than it for with signing a chit. On any premium or luxury (all or mostly inclusive) ship, ask a crew member their name and introduce yourself. You will be remembered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not seeing a trend towards all inclusive cruises in the mass market lines. The luxury lines are another matter altogether, and I don't think anyone here is including them in the discussion.

I have no interest in all inclusive pricing on any of the mass market lines. Why would I want to pay for services or goods that I have no interest in? As for tipping above the autogratuities- I see no problem. Just hand the server some cash whenever you see fit. It's not rocket science.

I'm not seeing a trend towards all inclusive cruises in the mass market lines. The luxury lines are another matter altogether, and I don't think anyone here is including them in the discussion.

I think it would be best if the OP clarified what they are referring to when they say "all-inclusive"? Do they mean Regent-style AI, which includes air, drinks, restaurants, gratuities and many shore excursions or something that's more "semi-inclusive"?

As I say in another forum here, an incompletely posed question can only lead to incomplete answers. And often wayward answers and commentary.

So, Cal Bears, what is it that you're talking about?

On a true "AI" vacation, whether it's a cruise or land-based...you have to look at what is INCLUDED...if you plan on using NONE of the "included" items, then you would be silly to spend money on an AI if you aren't going to be using anything but the room! Same with cruises....if you don't drink (which is what is "included" in most AI's), then you're paying a premium for stuff you won't use!

To me what the OP is referring to is something that I look for now. When lines offer booking 'perks'. I really do prefer to have the unlimited beverages plan included in my booking. I'd like the pre-paid gratuities, specialty dining, internet also included but that really depends on the lines.

The downside I see to the beverage plan being included is the ones who include it in most bookings manipulate it in their favor. Example: we went on Norwegian recently with the UBP included. They do drinks up to $15; and you'd be astonished by the number of drinks they had over $15. The prices were outright outrageous for all the drinks to the point where if you didn't have the package you'd never pay them.

We r doing celebrity next w the drink package included and I've read that they really limit the selection of wines and cocktails on the plan to either unload only the cheap stuff or force you into paying to upgrade the package.

Celebrity does also offer to include everything for an extra $45 pp pd over the price of the cruise but unless you are on a short cruise, you can purchase all the included items for less than $45 a day.

Overall though, still prefer dealing w this than paying per drink as we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums