Nervous First Time Cruiser

cfmoore76

Hello – Just found this board – booked the cruise months ago. Just me and my 18 year old son going. This is his senior year of high school. We are pretty excited yet I am nervous. We have never been on a cruise before! We are coming from Indiana. Driving down, leaving on Saturday stopping on the way to see my Dad in KY. Will get to New Orleans on Sunday to do a little site seeing. Forget exactly what hotel we are staying at now.

Should I pre-pay or pre-book the parking? I seem to see some mention of that or I can do that when we get to the port. I was going to park at the port but now I am thinking of the Fulton.

In Cozumel we are swimming with the dolphins. Something I have wanted to do for so long. I assume they will have somewhere for me to lock up or secure my phone and camera while we are in the water.

In Progresso we have an all-inclusive beach resort booked. Hoping after both excursions we have time to explore the ports a little when we get back. Do a little shopping. Wondering if I shouldn’t have booked excursions in both ports. Does anyone know if this is usually normal or is it usually time to get back on the ship as soon as you get back?

A little nervous about it being spring break and being so packed. Not being able to find chairs at the pool. We have any time dining so nervous about having to wait forever to get seated to eat.

I am just nervous about all the unknowns LOL. I need to relax and just go with the flow I know. I know we will have a great time. Being a first time cruiser I don’t know what to expect.

Don't worry so much! Cruising is such a relaxing vacation and you'll see once you get there that everything you're worrying about is pointless. If I had to bet, your cruise will be less crowded than if you took one in the summer like we do every year and we always find pool chairs and never have waited terribly long for dinner at night! And that's with 8 of us!! Like you said go with flow and enjoy it has it comes! If it's your first time there's only so much you can do to prepare but there will still be unknowns because you've never experienced it first hand. You're going to love it and want to cruise every year! Enjoy and bon voyage!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also I think there were lockers provided in Cozumel when we swam with dolphins there and typically you will still have time after your excursion to walk around the port and visit the many shops! We've left from port New Orleans only once and we parked at the port which I don't regret at all because it was so convenient!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree that the key to a great cruise is to go with the flow. There will be hiccups along the way, people who are weird, and mistakes made by Carnival's staff. But if your attitude is to just relax and not worry about the little things, it will be a great trip!

start by relaxing, there is nothing to be nervous about. Most ships sail full all year round, so spring break just has a larger percentage of kids. We do not do all inclusive beach stops because we are on an all inclusive cruise. We don't need to spend $75pp for a beer and a taco. We always book private excursions. Most beaches in the Caribbean are public. 18 is an inbetween age for cruise ships, he can gamble but can not drink. He will be able to drink at any port in the Caribbean. Have a great cruise and have lots of fun with your son.

Relax! Just think of a cruise as any hotel vacation, just one that moves. Most excursions will give you more than enough time to do some shopping at the port, the local revenue depends on tourist $$, the cruise lines know that, plus they don't want you running for the ship at the last minute.

I like all inclusives because they usually have fewer people there than the other beaches around them. That means better service, the beach chairs are not crammed in so close to each other that you can't walk between them and you don't have to keep track of what you're ordering and compare it to the bill at the end of the day. So much better.

As for dinner, you shouldn't have to wait, but if you do it shouldn't be long. Sometimes they'll ask if you want to share a table with others. We like to do that, we've met some great people that way.

Enjoy your cruise - sailing down the Mississippi that first night is interesting, we like to stay up on deck until we're through the oil rigs in the Gulf. Try new things, foods, experiences. Yes, some things may not be what you expect, but that's life. Shake it off, laugh about it, and move on. I've found that any cruise is pretty much what you make it. I've been on cruises that others have reviewed as horrible experiences - and wondered if they were really on the same ship as me, because I had a great time!

You will have a wonderful time w/ the dolphin swim in Cozumel. We loved it! The excursion is nice, but they kill you with the picture prices. They photographer takes pics of you doing different things w/ the dolphins throughout the water time. They charge like an astronomical amount for the photos. We ended up buying the CD of 200+ photos b/w the 3 of us & still paid like $75 each to split the CD cost. Otherwise, I think the photos were like $25 each or something crazy.

We did not have a lot of time before or after the excursion in port in Cozumel. We had a little time to walk around Duty Free and see a few shops, but it was insanely crowded both coming and going.

If the lunch is offered on your excursion, I would recommend eating a good breakfast before you get off the boat. They served spaghetti and salad (I find it weird when foreign ports don't serve food from their area) and it was very lacking. I guess it was in a manner of quantity? Dunno. Anyhow, we ended up eating a light late lunch when we got back on the boat before dinner.

Should I pre-pay or pre-book the parking? I seem to see some mention of that or I can do that when we get to the port. I was going to park at the port but now I am thinking of the Fulton.

Pre-book the parking with Fulton. It is very close to the port and has a free shuttle. If you change your mind or can't make it, call and cancel, even though you don't have to. It's just courtesy. No need to park at the port in this city unless you just want to pay more.

In Cozumel we are swimming with the dolphins. Something I have wanted to do for so long. I assume they will have somewhere for me to lock up or secure my phone and camera while we are in the water.

You didn't say where, but these places are used to tourists and their need to lock stuff up. They may charge you a few dollars for a locker, but they will have someplace to keep your stuff.

In Progresso we have an all-inclusive beach resort booked. Hoping after both excursions we have time to explore the ports a little when we get back. Do a little shopping. Wondering if I shouldn’t have booked excursions in both ports. Does anyone know if this is usually normal or is it usually time to get back on the ship as soon as you get back?

Cozumel usually offers a full day and you should have time for both and time for shopping. But realize that you may cut your time at your resort short. You may feel you like you paid for a full day but only got a half day there. No worries! It's your first time so just have a full day of fun doing whatever you want.

A little nervous about it being spring break and being so packed. Not being able to find chairs at the pool. We have any time dining so nervous about having to wait forever to get seated to eat.

Cruise ships are almost always packed. Spring break brings more teens. Summer break brings more families with children. When school is in brings more adults. Finding chairs at the pool is really hit or miss. Try both pools. If you don't need to be right beside a pool, look on other decks higher up. Tons of chairs there. Maybe take some time on your first morning to wander around the ship. You may find a little quiet nook with lots of sun and few people.

Anytime dining will have longer lines during the 6pm and 8pm times. Aim around them. It may feel like forever, but the wait isn't usually that long. Some ships issue you a beeper so you can go hang out in the atrium and watch a performer or something while you wait.

I am just nervous about all the unknowns LOL. I need to relax and just go with the flow I know. I know we will have a great time. Being a first time cruiser I don’t know what to expect.

First time during boarding it will feel chaotic like you will never get on board. Lines everywhere and nothing seems to move very fast! You will assuredly run into something that you won't like, but only you can let it ruin your mood or vacation.

I don't know what you have planned or your habits, but consider leaving your hotel as late as possible (sleep, sleep my pretty) before heading to the port. Drop your bags off at the porters and walk about 10 minutes next door through the Riverwalk Outlet Mall and visit the Cafe Du Monde and get some of those famous beignets. Aim to be back at the terminal around 1:30pm and avoid the longest lines...plus your room will be ready (you can't go to your room until 1:30pm). Drop your stuff off in your room and head up to the Lido for a quick snack if you want. Expect to look hard for a table. Go back to your room and take a nap if you can. That way you are really rested up and can go to the sail away party or tour the ship or eat some more...whatever helps you relax. It's all about getting some rest to help you relax. Have fun!

I remember being very apprehensive before my first cruise just because it was a new experience and I was traveling by myself to Canada and wouldn't meet up with my friends until we were onboard. You and your son will have a blast! Just remember a lot of times there's no right or wrong answer, it comes down to what you prefer.

Roz

You will have a wonderful time w/ the dolphin swim in Cozumel. We loved it! The excursion is nice, but they kill you with the picture prices. They photographer takes pics of you doing different things w/ the dolphins throughout the water time. They charge like an astronomical amount for the photos. We ended up buying the CD of 200+ photos b/w the 3 of us & still paid like $75 each to split the CD cost. Otherwise, I think the photos were like $25 each or something crazy.

We did not have a lot of time before or after the excursion in port in Cozumel. We had a little time to walk around Duty Free and see a few shops, but it was insanely crowded both coming and going.

If the lunch is offered on your excursion, I would recommend eating a good breakfast before you get off the boat. They served spaghetti and salad (I find it weird when foreign ports don't serve food from their area) and it was very lacking. I guess it was in a manner of quantity? Dunno. Anyhow, we ended up eating a light late lunch when we got back on the boat before dinner.

I was wondering about the picture costs of this! Since it is just my son and I that means I will be paying for the whole thing myself and I think they offer a cd as well. I know this will cost me an arm and leg :-( And I know I will want them all because it will be a once in a lifetime thing for me. Yikes!!! Strange about the food they serve. I know lunch is included just a weird thing to serve.

I think I will park at Fulton -- cheaper and I haven't heard of anyone having any issues there.

You all are making me feel so much better and relaxed about it all. Thank you!!! Just go with the flow I know we will have fun.

Pre-book the parking with Fulton. It is very close to the port and has a free shuttle. If you change your mind or can't make it, call and cancel, even though you don't have to. It's just courtesy. No need to park at the port in this city unless you just want to pay more.

You didn't say where, but these places are used to tourists and their need to lock stuff up. They may charge you a few dollars for a locker, but they will have someplace to keep your stuff.

Cozumel usually offers a full day and you should have time for both and time for shopping. But realize that you may cut your time at your resort short. You may feel you like you paid for a full day but only got a half day there. No worries! It's your first time so just have a full day of fun doing whatever you want.

Cruise ships are almost always packed. Spring break brings more teens. Summer break brings more families with children. When school is in brings more adults. Finding chairs at the pool is really hit or miss. Try both pools. If you don't need to be right beside a pool, look on other decks higher up. Tons of chairs there. Maybe take some time on your first morning to wander around the ship. You may find a little quiet nook with lots of sun and few people.

Anytime dining will have longer lines during the 6pm and 8pm times. Aim around them. It may feel like forever, but the wait isn't usually that long. Some ships issue you a beeper so you can go hang out in the atrium and watch a performer or something while you wait.

First time during boarding it will feel chaotic like you will never get on board. Lines everywhere and nothing seems to move very fast! You will assuredly run into something that you won't like, but only you can let it ruin your mood or vacation.

I don't know what you have planned or your habits, but consider leaving your hotel as late as possible (sleep, sleep my pretty) before heading to the port. Drop your bags off at the porters and walk about 10 minutes next door through the Riverwalk Outlet Mall and visit the Cafe Du Monde and get some of those famous beignets. Aim to be back at the terminal around 1:30pm and avoid the longest lines...plus your room will be ready (you can't go to your room until 1:30pm). Drop your stuff off in your room and head up to the Lido for a quick snack if you want. Expect to look hard for a table. Go back to your room and take a nap if you can. That way you are really rested up and can go to the sail away party or tour the ship or eat some more...whatever helps you relax. It's all about getting some rest to help you relax. Have fun!

Thanks for the excellent advice!! Can you drop your bags off anytime?? I think our scheduled time is 10:30 or 11:30 I would have to look. Do we drop them off then or before then? Then you think we should go walk around before getting on board?

Thanks again!!!

Excellent advice in the previous posts. My advice, just go and enjoy the bonding with your son. You'll treasure this cruise with your son over the years and then someday, years from now, you'll be on a cruise with him and his wife and children and you'll hear something very familiar. You'll just look at each other across the table and smile. :D

Excellent advice in the previous posts. My advice, just go and enjoy the bonding with your son. You'll treasure this cruise with your son over the years and then someday, years from now, you'll be on a cruise with him and his wife and children and you'll hear something very familiar. You'll just look at each other across the table and smile. :D

You all are almost making me tear up at all the excellent advice! Thank you :)

You all are almost making me tear up at all the excellent advice! Thank you :)

Many years ago I was on a cruise with my 7 year-old son and we were going on an excursion to swim the waters off the coast of a park in Grand Cayman. When we arrived at the place to enter the water there was a dead cat laying there being eaten by ants. The leader of the excursion tried to lift the spirits of everybody by saying, "Here we are at Dead Cat Reef". We howled in laughter.

25 years later when accompanying my son on his Engagement Cruise, someone asked while looking at an island, what reef was out there? We both smiled at each other and said in unison, "Dead Cat Reef". :)

Your original post made me think of that.

Onboard it will be crowded but we've always been able to find quiet spots even on our most wild cruises. We usually avoid the Lido pool area and sit in loungers above and/or away from the main pool.

Look at the online deck plans. Onboard check out the whole ship and see what's where. (There might be a ship introductory tour around 2, check the FunTimes.)

Last year was our first cruise and I had all of the same reservations you did about how it will all go down. I was worried about lockers so we could swim, and just overall how it happened. I think my mom gave me the best advice by saying that the cruise lines know what they are doing and they have thought of everything. Anything I was worried about was taken care of. I wish I would have known about this website to ask questions before last year's cruise! We booked an excursion at our first port, and didn't at our second because I was so nervous. Now, I regret it. I can't say I didn't enjoy our stay in Jamaica, but we just sat around Margaritaville and it just wasn't like the first port we went to where we could swim on the beach and look around . It was all shopping and restaurants and all excursions were a bus ride away and being my first cruise, I didn't want the ship out of my sight for fear we would be late! Now, I'm a little more relaxed and I now know that if I book an excursion through the cruise line, they won't leave us if we are late due to an error on their end. I can relax a little more this time. Although, this will be our first time with kids!

Hello – Just found this board – booked the cruise months ago. Just me and my 18 year old son going. This is his senior year of high school. We are pretty excited yet I am nervous. We have never been on a cruise before! We are coming from Indiana. Driving down, leaving on Saturday stopping on the way to see my Dad in KY. Will get to New Orleans on Sunday to do a little site seeing. Forget exactly what hotel we are staying at now.

Congratulations on your first cruise. I took my first and only cruise in 2005. Long story short, it was a complete nightmare from an hour after leaving the house. With that said, it had nothing to do with cruising (except the tropical storm we went through) but more of who we went with.

I have wanted to go on another since the day we stepped off of the ship. Wanting to go back on another cruise as badly as I do, made me realize it wasn't cruising that I didn't enjoy. Even through the literal storm, it had potential of being relaxing and memorable in better ways. haha I am currently booked on a cruise in May so after all of these years, I finally get to give it a go again.

The reason I felt like I wanted to respond, is because much like you I was nervous. I had no idea what to expect. I had plenty of friends who had been on multiple cruises giving me helpful hints etc but it never made me feel better. This message board is great for information. Soak it all in. I have one thing I always tell people about my first cruise that I wish I had done differently...

You will get a Funtimes flyer in your room at night with all of the next day's events. It is exciting to look it over and set possible plans of things you want to do or see. The thing I did was feel like I needed to attend all of the "informational" meetings they had. Each port had a meeting you could attend to keep you informed about shopping, beaches, etc. Looking back, I feel like the only thing I did on that cruise was go to "meetings". They were informative but on the last day, I realized that those meetings were shown in the cabin rooms on tv. :o

Now, it has been YEARS since that dreadful vacation, but I am sure they still show those meetings to watch after you turn in for the night. Instead, pick something FUN to do!!

On the other hand, the one thing I enjoyed a lot was room service coffee in the mornings. So nice to wake up and have coffee to start the day!!

Enjoy your cruise and relax. Make memories with your son and live in the moment!

Maybe my favourite thread ever. We too just booked our very first cruise, with our 18 year old as well. This site has been a great source of comfort and knowledge, so I feel more relaxed and prepared.

Great advice everyone. I intend to use it all myself, even though this isn't my thread. :D

I'm jealous, there is nothing like the first cruise. We boarded our first cruise on the Carnival Miracle, 2005 in the Atrium and was Wowed. We were hooked from that exact moment. We did however have a small hiccup. When we boarded there was a server with a tray of pre-made drinks. He asked "would you like a drink?" my wife takes one, and instantly takes a sip, he says "I need your sail and sign card". So in short they are NOT free:eek:. Lastly, there is nothing to be nervous about. Just make sure you have all your legal documents with you, and do not be late the ship WILL leave, and most of all HAVE FUN:D.

I think you will love a cruise!My favorite excursion in our 17 years of cruising was the Dolphin Encounter/Swim With Dolphins.

Keep in mind - if you have a question while onboard, the crew on the ship most always can answer it for you.

My hint; if there isn't a dessert you like at dinner in Main Dining Room, ask for a banana split from the children's menu (it's a perfect/small size).

Wishing you a wonderful cruise!

In my opinion, the best advice you need is, when the ship tells you what time to be back on board.

Make sure you are back by that time, at the latest. Keep your watch set with the ship's time. We always return early, but that's us.

I have seen the ship leave people several times.

As for the rest, your very first cruise will be the most exciting of your life. You'll remember it forever, so relax and enjoy. You'll learn as you go. Happy Sails

Excellent advice about a watch. Make sure you know what time to be back onboard. The ship will not wait for you. Cell phones have a habit of switching to local time.

Learn how to turn off your cell service and data. Wifi will turn on in airplane mode. Otherwise you'll be in shock when you see your bill.