Cold Equinox - What to Pack Next Time

succeed_2

I just got off the Equinox - it was our first time cruising with Celebrity. We've cruised previously with HAL and Princess.

On the Equinox, I found the air conditioning to be turned quite high in the MDR and in the hallways. Our MDR server also admitted it was cold. Other public areas like Celebrity Central and the Theatre were also cool, but a touch more reasonable.

I had only brought one sweater with me (for the airplane), and never expected to have to wear it every evening on the Equinox, but I did. I didn't even wear the lovely clothing I had brought to wear for dinner - it was simply too cold to do so. I was disappointed that I looked so shoddy each evening, but I was just trying to keep warm. I probably should also add that I'm not a drinker of alcohol - maybe if I was, I might have appreciated the high level of air conditioning.

My next Celebrity cruise is on the Constellation in a few months. So I'm wondering if all Celebrity ships tend to be on the cooler side and if I need to start looking now for warmer clothes for my next trip?

I have found on cruises in the Caribbean ships seem cooler inside (all lines) than Europe, South America, etc.

It has been a few years since we have been on the Equinox but I don't recall being cold in the public spaces on any of the X ships. But what is warm to me may be cool for you.

I would suggest you pack a couple of shrugs or take a shawl just in case.

I always take a shrug and a lightweight cardigan on cruises incase they are cool inside (I do tend to feel the cold) but have rarely needed them. In my experience ships, hotels, restaurants can all have air conditioning that is too efficient.

We have cruised on Equinox twice and had no issues. What we have found, however, is that most ships do seem to have cooler areas....we have moved in bars where we have felt over cool to other seating, often only a few feet away, but feeling much more comfortable. Perhaps as your main issue was in the MDR you were near to an AC outlet (or whatever they call it)...It is a shame your waiter or M'D did not suggest trying you in a different location to see if it did make a difference.

I can honestly say that I have never been uncomfortably cold in the MDR....suggest next cruise take a shrug and cardigan but don't be afraid of asking the M'D to try a different area if you are uncomfortably cold.

Never had it happen. We've been on Equinox twice in the Caribbean and going a third time. Of course, we always eat at second seating so maybe it gets to be a regular temperature by that time.

You would think maybe being out in the sun and moving into A\C could make you be a little more sensitive, but who knows. Everybody is different.

Whenever I am in an air conditioned place (including inside cruise ships), I always bring along a fashionable jacket, sweater or pashmina. I like to be comfortable, so bringing along an extra covering gives me options. We sailed on 2 Celebrity cruises this past winter and found the temperature was not overly cold inside the Eclipse and Reflection. However, different people have different internal thermostats.

Some people just seem to feel cold more than others. And I'm one of those. I never travel anywhere without a sweater and one or two nice pashminas for evening. I prefer the pashmina because they take up so little room in the suitcase and they're versatile. Wear it as a shawl, a scarf, or a blanket on flights.

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I'm so "fashion-challenged" that I had to go to Amazon to see what a "shrug" was. I cringe at the idea of having to find fashionable pieces that will go well with my other pieces (I'm not good at pairing clothes). But at least I have enough time to start trying to put different combinations together and to make sure that everything coordinates so I won't have to over-pack.

My MDR server did move us to another table, but it was still within her area, and was still cold. We had really enjoyed her presence, and I don't think she or us would have wanted us to go to a new server.

I agree that if I had been out in the sun, then the shock of coming into air conditioning would be noticeable (or even appreciated), but the weather for the first part of the cruise was cool and overcast (really rocky seas), I never sit directly in the sun (I usually sit in the more moderate Solarium), and the cold temps on board were just as noticeable (if not more so, after dark).

Anyway, I guess I'll have to start shopping, for some "just in case" items.

Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement :)

We are on the equinox on April 14th.

In your opinion, how was the solarium?

I absolutely adored the Solarium on the Equinox and am hoping the Solarium on the Constellation is as nice on my next cruise.

On the Equinox, it was a spacious, bright area, that was fairly quiet with ambient music playing in the background (and no children allowed). And depending on where you sat, there would sometimes be delightful fragrances wafting in from the AquaSpa. Lots of people would read or take a dip in the pool, or use one of the 2 hot tubs. Some even napped.

The AquaSpa Cafe was just off to the side, so it was easy to go get something light to eat or a beverage (only until 2pm). Lounge chairs were relatively easy to obtain, because most people preferred to be out by the main pools, in the sun, where all the activity was. However, on sea days, with rain, the Solarium would fill up fast.

I would usually read in the Solarium (or do the daily crossword or Sudoku) for a couple hours in the morning, but by 11am, there were so many activities going on around the ship, I was off doing other stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually I'm so "fashion-challenged" that I had to go to Amazon to see what a "shrug" was. I cringe at the idea of having to find fashionable pieces that will go well with my other pieces (I'm not good at pairing clothes). But at least I have enough time to start trying to put different combinations together and to make sure that everything coordinates so I won't have to over-pack.

My MDR server did move us to another table, but it was still within her area, and was still cold. We had really enjoyed her presence, and I don't think she or us would have wanted us to go to a new server.

I agree that if I had been out in the sun, then the shock of coming into air conditioning would be noticeable (or even appreciated), but the weather for the first part of the cruise was cool and overcast (really rocky seas), I never sit directly in the sun (I usually sit in the more moderate Solarium), and the cold temps on board were just as noticeable (if not more so, after dark).

Anyway, I guess I'll have to start shopping, for some "just in case" items.

Thanks for all your suggestions and encouragement :)

I would take your nice outfits you have on your next cruise and get a black or white shawl, shrug or sweater to wear with them. I think my black shawl gets the most wear or my black dressy sweater. I don't like the cold either.:)

We were on the Silhouette and it was cool on the ship. We left Florida and for two nights, we had the heat on in our room. In the Solarium, people had on sweaters and sweatshirts. We never experienced it so cool. It did get warmer when we got to Grand Cayman and Jamaica.

I just got off the Equinox - it was our first time cruising with Celebrity. We've cruised previously with HAL and Princess.

On the Equinox, I found the air conditioning to be turned quite high in the MDR and in the hallways. Our MDR server also admitted it was cold. Other public areas like Celebrity Central and the Theatre were also cool, but a touch more reasonable.

I had only brought one sweater with me (for the airplane), and never expected to have to wear it every evening on the Equinox, but I did. I didn't even wear the lovely clothing I had brought to wear for dinner - it was simply too cold to do so. I was disappointed that I looked so shoddy each evening, but I was just trying to keep warm. I probably should also add that I'm not a drinker of alcohol - maybe if I was, I might have appreciated the high level of air conditioning.

My next Celebrity cruise is on the Constellation in a few months. So I'm wondering if all Celebrity ships tend to be on the cooler side and if I need to start looking now for warmer clothes for my next trip?

My mother always finds the public areas cool and will wear sleeves or a sweater. I always find it too warm and I prefer to be cool. Rarely are we both happy with the temperature.

Agree with the suggestions for black shawl/sweater/cardigan....go with everything.

I also have a black shrug with a faint silver thread....been on nearly every cruise. Ideal on chic evenings, not only to keep off the chill but to 'dress up' black dress, trousers when we have been trying to travel a bit lighter. It is amazing, you can spend a fortune on clothes but sometimes you will just find a simple garment that is just perfect!

I have 3 lightweight drape type cardigans that pack very compactly and don't wrinkle. I've always worn 1 on the plane and packed the other two. I have black, white and beige. I've picked them up over the years, with cruises in mind. I always carry one of them to the MDR or a show. I can walk into the dining room and put it over my shoulders or put it on and I'm able to stay comfortable. I also have a wrap (bought on a cruise) that is black and I carry this with me for dressy nights in the dining room. It really takes up no space at all since they can practically be waded into a ball. These were especially useful on a Med cruise where I could toss one in a backpack and pull it out if we toured a church that required shoulders to be covered. It doesn't require you to match it up with outfits, especially if you use the "mix and match" method of packing. I use black and beige basics and add colors to give me more flexibility with packing light.

We were just on the 2/20/17 11 night sailing Equinox and left on 3/3. I am usually cold on the ships in the MDR, theater and hallways. Not this time. Temperatures were very nice. A couple nights, I brought a shaw/sweather, and never needed it, even in the theater. Many of my outfits did not have much of a sleeve to it, if any. I was surprised at how nice and comfortable it was for me, as I am usually cold.

We loved the Equinox. Enjoy!!

Thanks for your replies. I saw a lady at a wedding 2 days ago with a thick infinity scarf (I googled it) wrapped around her shoulders, and oh, she wore it so well. However, I don't think I'm fashion savvy enough to get that "look" right, so I guess I'll look for a couple of dressier cardigans (that might be easier). Also, the pictures showing how to wear a pashmina look attractive - maybe if I practice in advance I can learn how to drape and/or tie them with flare. I recall being given one about 15 years ago as a gift - l guess it's time to finally dig it out and put it to use. Thanks for all your great ideas :)