How is the food on the Magic?

estillcrew

I have heard so many complaints about the American Table menu. Can someone tell me how your experience was in the MDR aboard the Magic? We have always enjoyed eating in the MDR and are a little nervous about this new menu. Thanks! 9 days and counting!

We are just off the Magic. The dining does have a few cut backs compared to years past on the dinner menu but still plenty to choose from. I believe the American table menu has grilled chicken, flat iron steak, salmon, pork chop each night and regular menu has about 5 options that change nightly and there is also one "port of call" option on the third page of the menu for an appetizer and main entree. We enjoyed the dining room. We had great wait staff and food was delicious!

I thought the MDR food on Magic was great. There were a couple times in the MDR it was hard to decide as nothing seemed appealing but I had no problem coming out of there full and satisfied every night I ate in there.

Thanks! I know my husband and I will enjoy the menu; I'm just worried about my picky teenagers. They love the MDR experience and wouldn't want to eat at the buffet instead. They might have to on a couple of nights though. Oh well, it certainly won't ruin our cruise!

Just off the Magic Saturday Mar 18. We thought the food in the MDR was just as good or better than the food on Royal Caribbean. The choices were great and the food was always served hot. During lunch, you had a choice of 7 different venues where you could eat.

I thought the food on The Magic was terrible in the buffet and the buffet itself was massively overcrowded.

MDR service was "ok" but this was before American Table was introduced (2013). I really liked the Comedy Brunch even though it was a ridiculously obvious attempt to combine breakfast and lunch MDR into one service as a cost cutting measure.

My best meal was a lunch BBQ served on the promenade near the whirlpools on a sea day.

Overall this cruise convinced me Carnival as a brand wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong ... for $499 per person for a 7 day cruise in a balcony cabin it was totally worth it ... probably worth more than what we paid to be honest.

At a certain point however I'd rather just pay more for a better quality cruise. With that said, for what we got, Carnival was totally worth what we paid.

With that said, for what we got, Carnival was totally worth what we paid.
And that's saying a lot, and that cannot be over-emphasized. One thing I've noted about Carnival in time I've been researching it is that I'm affected by the high percentage of critical reviews that end like yours. In researching Princess and Celebrity, and in my continuing to keep up with people's perspectives on Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Disney, I don't see that as often. With those cruise lines, generally, the critical aspects of the reviews are rarely if ever buffered by such an compelling mitigating comment. And I've seen that more than once, now, with Carnival.

Thanks for your sharing.

We sail the end of April and I'm super excited to see all the horribly-abused-and-damaged veteran cruisers that will be throwing hissy-fits because *DUN DUN DUN* NO TABLECOTHS...... OOHHHH THE HUMANITY!!! There will hopefully be a big group sitting outside the Bridge holding their breathes until the Captain brings out his private stash of table-clothing. Naked tables.... sheesh....

oh and after last years cruise with American Table menu, I am super excited to try the new port dishes. As someone that grew up in food service their food is good quality. I would truly LOVE to see the nasty slop these "foodies" shovel down their talk-holes when they are on land. I'm sure they arent eating at gourmet restaurants daily. Are there a small amount of problems in the MDR, yes. But I havent heard of anyone dying on a Carnival cruise because they couldnt find anything to eat. *drops mic* :*

And that's saying a lot, and that cannot be over-emphasized. One thing I've noted about Carnival in time I've been researching it is that I'm affected by the high percentage of critical reviews that end like yours. In researching Princess and Celebrity, and in my continuing to keep up with people's perspectives on Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Disney, I don't see that as often. With those cruise lines, generally, the critical aspects of the reviews are rarely if ever buffered by such an compelling mitigating comment. And I've seen that more than once, now, with Carnival.

Thanks for your sharing.

When the price is so ridiculously low it alleviates a lot of annoyances that wouldn't get a pass on other higher priced line.

With that said I would prefer almost any other line to Carnival in cases where prices are similar, and in most cases I would still prefer to pay more for a different line.

Regardless though I can recognize that the value on the dollar you get with Carnival is there assuming you land one of their rock bottom cabin rates.

A cruise taken is ALWAYS better than a cruise you just wished you could have taken.

We sail the end of April and I'm super excited to see all the horribly-abused-and-damaged veteran cruisers that will be throwing hissy-fits because *DUN DUN DUN* NO TABLECOTHS...... OOHHHH THE HUMANITY!!! There will hopefully be a big group sitting outside the Bridge holding their breathes until the Captain brings out his private stash of table-clothing. Naked tables.... sheesh....

oh and after last years cruise with American Table menu, I am super excited to try the new port dishes. As someone that grew up in food service their food is good quality. I would truly LOVE to see the nasty slop these "foodies" shovel down their talk-holes when they are on land. I'm sure they arent eating at gourmet restaurants daily. Are there a small amount of problems in the MDR, yes. But I havent heard of anyone dying on a Carnival cruise because they couldnt find anything to eat. *drops mic* :*

I agree...No table clothes...Who cares!!! But we just cruised March 4 and we had table cloths...! We had phenomenal service and food in the MDR. So many choices...It was fun every night to try and decide what we wanted. I loved every soup that I had as an appetizer..My daughters liked the salad...And alas...If you can't decide or chose...Order two...Three...APS or entrees...Share with the table. Several people at our table ordered more than one entree! And one night my daughter and I oredered the salmon cakes and we both didn't like it...Our waiter quickly got us two new entrees. They said that is what they are here for. They were amazing ! Also...We could never decide on dessert...So..Again ..Our waiter brought us 3-4 or all of the desserts to try and share. We LOVED the MDR. Don't be afraid to ask for a certain side if different than what is on the menu with an entree. They will accommodate any request or at least try. One night I wanted fruit for an appetizer and it wasn't shown on the menu that night...Wala...I got my fruit ! So again. Each night there are several entree choices and then there are from the grill choices too that don't change...Such as salmon...Flat iron steak...Chicken breast..You can get those every night if you want. I had the flat iron steak 3 nights...It just was really good! My daughter got the salmon just about nightly. Enjoy !!!

Thanks! I know my husband and I will enjoy the menu; I'm just worried about my picky teenagers. They love the MDR experience and wouldn't want to eat at the buffet instead. They might have to on a couple of nights though. Oh well, it certainly won't ruin our cruise!

I honestly think your picky teenagers will find something they like in the MDR and have fun. You will be surprised...You can pick and choose what you want...If Mac n cheese is a side dish...They can order a few sides instead of an entree...And dessert...And who knows...Maybe go get pizza later. Or have them order a few entrees...You can ! Order more than one entree and share to find something they like. The wait staff is there to please !!! Enjoy!!

Just off the Magic Saturday Mar 18. We thought the food in the MDR was just as good or better than the food on Royal Caribbean. The choices were great and the food was always served hot. During lunch, you had a choice of 7 different venues where you could eat.

I was just on royal Caribbean in November and the food was bad in the MDR! Cold and gross. I couldn't wait to come back to carnival !! Food is soo much better.

lol, I like this guy.

We were on the Magic 3 weeks ago and I have to say we loved the Main Dining Room and the food. You and your teens could also order off of the Kids Menu if they don't see something they would want to order. The servers were more than happy to make sure that we were happy, too!

I honestly think your picky teenagers will find something they like in the MDR and have fun. You will be surprised...You can pick and choose what you want...If Mac n cheese is a side dish...They can order a few sides instead of an entree...And dessert...And who knows...Maybe go get pizza later. Or have them order a few entrees...You can ! Order more than one entree and share to find something they like. The wait staff is there to please !!! Enjoy!!

That's exactly what I told them. We will have a blast either way!

Just off the Magic on March 18. We found the MDR menus to be very good with a Varity of food. Our DS, ordered no less than 4 items each night and we never walked away hungry. We even took 1 night to eat from the Lido Deck Buffett, which was as good as it can get. There is plenty of food options and on Sea Days, you have the Guy's BBQ,, which was excellent.