new Princess Alaska train cars?

puli

Have read on a few boards over this past year that Princess is considering switching the 4 seated table design to a 2 and 2 coach arrangement for their direct to /from Denali rail cars. this will then match HAL's . Does anyone have the real scoop on this or is it just a pipe dream?

We have booked a Princess cruise tour for 2018 that calls for a 10 hour direct from Whittier to Denali rail journey but will cancel if the seating is all 4 top tables with 2 seats facing forward and 2 backward.

We had the table for 4 last June. It was fine. We were part of a connoisseur cruise tour and everybody in our train car was part of our group so we were already familiar with our table mates. We traveled from Talkeetna to Anchorage in the train. No mention was made at that time of a change in the future.

I hadn't heard about this either but the tables are fine. My husband and I are both tall so we have trouble with unusual seating arrangements. Your assigned table is on the second level but there will likely be open tables to stretch out available on the first level. And you can always walk around or stand outside between cars to mix it up.

That news hasn't reached Alaska yet. Not to say it isn't in the works or that it hasn't already happened, but it hasn't been announced here. When we traveled with my in-laws, the 4 person table allowed some more room, but if it was just DH and me, we would prefer a 2 x 2 config. It's awkward sitting knee to knee with strangers for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Could someone please describe the seats? are they padded benches or four chairs with a kitchen table between them? Do they recline? also since you must store your carry on luggage under your seat how much room do you have and where do the opposite people's feet go? It sounds so uncomfortable and for 9 hours !!!!!

I am used to 10 hour Amtrak train trips but only in somewhat comfortable club chairs and definitely going backwards facing strangers...not something I would pay mega bucks to experience.

Edited by puli

Could someone please describe the seats? are they padded benches or four chairs with a kitchen table between them? Do they recline? also since you must store your carry on luggage under your seat how much room do you have and where do the opposite people's feet go? It sounds so uncomfortable and for 9 hours !!!!!

I am used to 10 hour Amtrak train trips but only in somewhat comfortable club chairs and definitely going backwards facing strangers...not something I would pay mega bucks to experience.

They are padded benches with no recline. I've attached a thumbnail picture of the seats. Your carryon goes under the seat and both of our rolling backpacks fit length wise with no problem. You could also stow larger carryons on the lower deck.

denalitrain.JPG.e893ad24647011969bcf60d71d4a757b.JPG

You can see photos of the train seats along with storage information and more in my report at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

The table for four may be assigned, but not whether you sit facing forward or back. First couple to get to the assigned table can pick which way they want to sit.

You can see photos of the train seats along with storage information and more in my report at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1727858

The table for four may be assigned, but not whether you sit facing forward or back. First couple to get to the assigned table can pick which way they want to sit.

Seating was actually assigned on ours and as luck would have we had two bad travellers, one each side of the table, who could not make the trip backwards. A quiet word and we were moved to a different carriage with forward facing seats. Seems it's been a bit of problem from time to time and the rail crew are used to sorting it.

Thanks for letting us enjoy all your great photos!!!

Tony

I spoke to the Princess Parks and Land Tours today and was told that by 2018 at least 90% of the Princess Domed rail cars will have been reconfigured to match those owned by HAL . This information came from a supervisor who said the re-configuration has already begun and the hope was it could be 100% by the end of the 2017 season . Good news!!!

We did a cruisetour with Princess in 2009 and when the train arrived, we found we'd been assigned to a Holland America train car. So we had the forward facing seats, which was a relief. I think it's great that they're converting the Princess cars to the same configuration.

Have read on a few boards over this past year that Princess is considering switching the 4 seated table design to a 2 and 2 coach arrangement for their direct to /from Denali rail cars. this will then match HAL's . Does anyone have the real scoop on this or is it just a pipe dream?

https://www.anchorage.net/articles/post/princess-embarks-on-rail-car-remodels/