Porthole cabins? Upper/lower? Yay or nay??

angiegal

I have tried them all, but the balconies are great for places like Alaska, where there is a lot to see while you are sailing. One thing I like about the inside cabins is the total darkness. Your body is not influenced by the light, so you get as much sleep as you need.

If you are looking at a true porthole (PT category) these are usually set up just like a ocean view and the beds can be put together and usually have a sofa. We had one on our last cruise on the Magic. Also had one on the Splendor.

Some of the 1A's have portholes and most of them have a single bed and a sofa bed. I have had this with my son on the Dream and it worked out great.

I am a first time cruiser leaving the 27th of March -- we have a port hole -- just because it was the same cost as an interior with no port hole and I thought it would be cool to have one and have a little light in the room. We shall see ha-ha!

We are on the Triumph - Cabin 2212.

We found that port holes can be bigger rooms. If you look on the floor plans it is often where the ship bow is coming to a point, and they are giving you a bit more room up there in several of the rooms. R7 on fantasy class ships are an example.

We also like them because the the area where the port holes are, is great for an extra storage area.

You can close the port holes, meaning you can put down a water tight shield, that I would assume is used in really bad storms, and this makes the room just as dark as a regular inside.

Had a porthole on my first cruise. I don't like being on that low of a deck. I was also all the way forward and the anchor noise is real...every port morning. I want to say for close to an hour...Then also before you leave a port. I haven't tried an upper lower. Some like it for the floor space. I like the bigger bed.

I have tried them all, but the balconies are great for places like Alaska, where there is a lot to see while you are sailing. One thing I like about the inside cabins is the total darkness. Your body is not influenced by the light, so you get as much sleep as you need.

We are in the process of planning our 2018 cruise to Alaska on Princessright now. That's definitely a balcony-worthy trip!!

fyree39, I want to put my 21 year old son and his 22 year old girlfriend in an upper/lower cabin because I prefer to be naive ;)

And thanks for the info on the anchor. I never even considered it! I'm still going back and forth on the Sensation or Victory. Either way, its a short trip and there are still quite a few option available so I'll definitely consider them both.

We've been in just about every category but a suite. A mid ship, mid deck ocean view is my favorite. My problems with a porthole is that they are always forward and usually on lower decks causing more noise from anchor and thrusters rattling the cabin along with more movement and noise from waves whacking the ships bow.

We've had porthole rooms before and I'm great with them as I don't spend a ton of time in the cabin except to sleep. I like the light it provides. I don't think I could ever do an inside room as I'd feel to closed in...we've done OV and they are fine also...really you get so much salty buildup on the OV windows you can't really see anyway they just provide more light. We've done balcony and aft balcony and honestly for us it was a waste of money. If you sit out there every day all day then yes it'd be worth it. But we did not.

We've been in just about every category but a suite. A mid ship, mid deck ocean view is my favorite.
Unless you're talking about the older, smaller ship's, a mid deck OV is a relic. On the Dream class and above, the OV are mainly down on deck two. Any deck higher and all of the outsides are balconies. I believe that it's the same with the 100 ton plus ship's in the fleet as well. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I don't mind the porthole cabins. I try to get one as far away from the front of the ship that I can. You can hear the anchor drop from those rooms. It's noisy, but it makes for a good alarm clock.

I've never done the upper/lower. DH says he'll sleep in my bed with me if we ever get one of those rooms. :evilsmile::D

Just pull the mattresses down to the floor. Works like a charm :D

Had a porthole on my first cruise. I don't like being on that low of a deck. I was also all the way forward and the anchor noise is real...every port morning. I want to say for close to an hour...Then also before you leave a port.

What itinerary did you do that an anchor was dropped every port morning? Most ports of call have a dock that they tie up to.

Unless they mistakenly dropped the anchor onto the pier, which is fodder for a whole other "Oops ...Crew Blooper" thread.

I quite liked our porthole cabin on the Fascination. I loved sitting on the ledge in the morning, watching the view. And it proved to be nice to use as extra storage space when needed. Additionally, I though it was a good value for what we paid. You still have a view, but at an interior price. I would definitely not have a problem booking one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We found that port holes can be bigger rooms. If you look on the floor plans it is often where the ship bow is coming to a point, and they are giving you a bit more room up there in several of the rooms. R7 on fantasy class ships are an example.

We also like them because the the area where the port holes are, is great for an extra storage area.

You can close the port holes, meaning you can put down a water tight shield, that I would assume is used in really bad storms, and this makes the room just as dark as a regular inside.

They actually closed them for a couple of days on the Vista TA. That was the first time that had happened.

I love the 1As with portholes, usually a single bed and a couch which can be used as a bed if two people are in the cabin.

I know some of those rooms have upper and lower, but the ones that I have had as a solo cruiser, had one single and a sofa (which can be made up into a bed, for a 2 person room). I have always enjoyed those rooms, and the early morning docking, noises have never bothered me, also the bang bang bang noise at night LOL....I know is the waves hitting the bow of the ship also never bothered me, since I come back to the room late and sleep sound..after a full day of activity and enjoyment on a Carnival ship!

And dont worry about son and his girlfriend bed set up, they will figure out a way ;)

that is a yay! btw

Edited by SMSACE6