Service charge

cruisinmeme

what is the current service charge for suites. to tell the truth I never even pay attention cause it it just added to the tab. Just got an email as of April 1, 2017 it is going to 16.99 person but have the option to prepay at old rate.

Norwegian sent me this email yesterday:

Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2017. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff.

The new rates for all ships, except Norwegian Sky are:

$13.99 per person per day for any category up to a mini-suite stateroom

$16.99 per person per day for any suite or Haven category

Any guest that has made a booking by March 31, 2017 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to sail date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate are not affected.

Service charges can be prepaid on My NCL or by contacting our Reservations Department at 800-327-7030.

Sincerely,

Norwegian Cruise Line®

Please do not reply to this email.

For additional questions or concerns, please contact our Reservations Department at 800-327-7030 for further assistance.

i thought that we can rid ourselves of the gratuities (dsc) by just visiting the cruise info desk on the last day of the cruise...is this not true anymore...i would hate to lodge a grievance by email which is likely gonna lead to a slim chance of me getting my gratuities removed...thanks

i thought that we can rid ourselves of the gratuities (dsc) by just visiting the cruise info desk on the last day of the cruise...is this not true anymore...i would hate to lodge a grievance by email which is likely gonna lead to a slim chance of me getting my gratuities removed...thanks

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

Depends on where you are from. If you are from the United States you have to pay the DSC. If you have an Issue and want to reduce or get a refund, you can go to Guest Services and they will give you a form to fill out and you email that to NCL Corporate and they will handle your request.

It's about a $ 20 difference (total) for two people on a 7-day cruise. But if you pre-pay, can you adjust it like you can onboard??:cool:

short of really crappy service which is unlikely why would anyone want to adjust it? Even if say, the service is bad in one part of the ship the rest of the crew suffers when you adjust the gratuities. Would you take it out on your waiter if you went to a land based restaurant and the cook didn't get the food out on time? :confused::confused:

:cool: Good question. Has never been an issue for us, but like to keep options open, and know what they are. Frankly, I miss the days when we just handed envelopes to the crew members that took care of us. Still do that with concierge, cabin steward, butler, bartender, etc.

Remember that the DSC for suites does not cover the Butler or Concierge. We also tipped our room steward extra because of the great service. I will admit that we never saw the Concierge and couldn't reach him when we needed something. He only "visited" us while we were trying to dine, most annoying, interrupted our conversation multiple times. . We did not tip him, split his tip and added it to our Butler and room steward tips so they got a nice bonus thanks to the Concierge.

what is the current service charge for suites. to tell the truth I never even pay attention cause it it just added to the tab. Just got an email as of April 1, 2017 it is going to 16.99 person but have the option to prepay at old rate.

Remember that the DSC for suites does not cover the Butler or Concierge. We also tipped our room steward extra because of the great service. I will admit that we never saw the Concierge and couldn't reach him when we needed something. He only "visited" us while we were trying to dine, most annoying, interrupted our conversation multiple times. . We did not tip him, split his tip and added it to our Butler and room steward tips so they got a nice bonus thanks to the Concierge.

We have had suites many many times. I have already booked all our nightly resturant reservations. We rarely use the concierge . In fact most of the time we do exactly like you, butler and cabin Stewart gets a bigger slice of the pie. Also cagneys because of eating in there breakfast and lunch.

There will be 4 of us and this trip one of our extra things we got was tips paid for first two people.

4 weeks and counting!!!

We were on the Star when it broke and visited the service desk several times as you can imagine, with questions about the ship,etc. People were taking off the service charge like crazy, no need to file a complaint. So??? I don't think they make you do that anymore, or maybe it was special conditions on that cruise.

i would hate to lodge a grievance by email which is likely gonna lead to a slim chance of me getting my gratuities removed...thanks
Actually, the chances are pretty good that they will refund you if you have a grievance. But what is your grievance? How can you already have a grievance?

For information, this poster wrote the following on another thread:

i know this has been addressed on previous threads but being the cheap bum i am, is there a way to avoid these gratuities at all?...i mean with the tax, port tax, fuel surcharges adding up, really, i am left empty

I guess if the process to reduce/remove service charges were the same, it would make sense to prepay if you can save some $$. We have always found the suite staff (concierge, butler, cabin steward, bartender in the Haven Lounge) to be excellent and have tipped accordingly, save one experience where a butler lectured us about when we could call him, and when the kitchen was "closed." That was interesting....:cool:

We have had Adrian as Concierge...just excellent, and when Lanie (sp?) was our butler, she provided impeccable service.