Things to do and not do on your first cruise

chilly1470

NUMBER ONE: Relax. You are on vacation. CHILL!!

Number 2: Go on deck, get a chair, and lay back

3: Take it all in, people watch, have a drink, eat, enjoy!

Don't let the stressors of regular life get in the way. This is different. Life is not the way you are used to. The mistake I made is worrying about this and that, instead of just chilling. Sit your butt down and relax.

Do not worry too much about the schedule or FUNTIMES. I know, there is a lot to do, but choose your battles. You can only do so much. Look at the events, choose what you like, then choose what you want. I made the mistake of not relaxing, standing and wanting to do more, and missing what I really wanted, you feel me? I don't think I ever sat down at Half Moon Cay, and I regret that, because this is a place of extreme relaxation, lol. You need to unwind and forget all about the stress of how you stood in line, boats to get there etc. Anyway, enjoy your time, it is your time, have a blast, I loved the atmosphere.

haha Yes, don't overeat just because you can. Don't worry about the shopping guide show (do they still do this??). You can also catch some of those shows in your room on TV.

If it was my first cruise, I would have started a collection of things to collect that I know are on every cruise. Like a magnet clip or shot glass with the silver emblem.

haha Yes, don't overeat just because you can. Don't worry about the shopping guide show (do they still do this??). You can also catch some of those shows in your room on TV.

If it was my first cruise, I would have started a collection of things to collect that I know are on every cruise. Like a magnet clip or shot glass with the silver emblem.

I've been getting the ship ornaments.

NUMBER ONE: Relax. You are on vacation. CHILL!!

Number 2: Go on deck, get a chair, and lay back

3: Take it all in, people watch, have a drink, eat, enjoy!

Don't let the stressors of regular life get in the way. This is different. Life is not the way you are used to. The mistake I made is worrying about this and that, instead of just chilling. Sit your butt down and relax.

Do not worry too much about the schedule or FUNTIMES. I know, there is a lot to do, but choose your battles. You can only do so much. Look at the events, choose what you like, then choose what you want. I made the mistake of not relaxing, standing and wanting to do more, and missing what I really wanted, you feel me? I don't think I ever sat down at Half Moon Cay, and I regret that, because this is a place of extreme relaxation, lol. You need to unwind and forget all about the stress of how you stood in line, boats to get there etc. Anyway, enjoy your time, it is your time, have a blast, I loved the atmosphere.

Almost never sit ou on deck, but Then we always have a balcony.

Keep a little diary of your adventure. I just jot things down as I go, nothing elaborate. Room number, waiter name, etc. things you liked about the ship, things you didn't. What you wished your brought, what you brought too much of...what foods you can't live without, that kind of stuff. Great to review before your next cruise...and a great resource -- trust me. 25 years later it brings back the memories that otherwise would be forgotten!

-Don't feel the need to purchase every picture taken on the ship.

-Take a cardigan or light jacket with you, can be a tad bit chilly at night.

-Relax an take it all in, cruise day comes slowly but once you're on the ship it's over before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay flexible and chill, it vacation after all.

Appreciate the fact that someone is making your bed for you while you are enjoying yourself (this is a luxury for me as I am the bed maker at home), its the little things.

Enjoy the vastness of the ocean and use some time to just reflect (a quiet minute to yourself each day), if you have a balcony enjoy the sunrise and sunset, love our private balcony!

Enjoy the ride! Where else can you unpack once and have someone else drive you around to exotic ports all week! It's an awesome way to go!!!!

Cruising in June - love reading this thread! We did a short Disney cruise over 10 years ago with the grandparents and kids and it went so fast. Our cruise in June is adults only - it is going to feel like the first time [emoji2] Thank you for sharing your thoughts - can't wait to read more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Appreciate the fact that someone is making your bed for you while you are enjoying yourself, its the little things

Enjoy the vastness of the ocean and use some time to just reflect (a quiet minute to yourself each day)

Enjoy the ride! Where else can you unpack once and have someone else drive you around to exotic ports all week!

I like these. :)

DO NOT try to do everything that you think you want to do! There is NOT enough time for everything. Just go with the flow, relax, and enjoy yourself. A cruise is what you make of it for yourself.

A do for me to to stand on a front deck of the ship at night and just stare off into the horizon at the stars over the ocean!

A do for me to to stand on a front deck of the ship at night and just stare off into the horizon at the stars over the ocean!

This! I am definitely going to do this!

Congrats on y'all's win yesterday btw. From a fellow Upstater but other side of the intra-state rivalry

don't try to eat everything the first day. They'll have plenty of food every day you're on the ship.

HAHAHA! Great point. I sometimes found myself eating and I wasn't even hungry. Like a bloated sea lion. But on the other hand, you are bound to gain some weight and you don't have it like that everyday. Enjoy in moderation, taste different things, roam and graze.

Almost never sit ou on deck, but Then we always have a balcony.

Yes! One thing i did right was to enjoy my balcony every night before turning in. Some say it isn't really worth it, but it was to me.

Cruising in June - love reading this thread! We did a short Disney cruise over 10 years ago with the grandparents and kids and it went so fast. Our cruise in June is adults only - it is going to feel like the first time [emoji2] Thank you for sharing your thoughts - can't wait to read more!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our next isn't until September and man! I am counting the days. Enjoy yours and be sure to share.

DO NOT try to do everything that you think you want to do! There is NOT enough time for everything. Just go with the flow, relax, and enjoy yourself. A cruise is what you make of it for yourself.

Our fav memory is how we got a bite to eat at the buffet and left the dining room and ate on the promenade when the sun was setting. So breezy and peaceful and not many folks out there at all.

Pace yourself with the eating. Try different restaurants on the ship, and dishes that you might not ordinarily try at home, but get half portions or share things so you don't overeat and get uncomfortable. Feeling sick in one of those tiny cabin bathrooms would not be fun.

Don't rush around trying to do all of the activities. Pick and choose what you think would be the most fun, leaving some time to simply chill with a cold drink and a good book and just enjoy the quiet time. And don't feel like you have to stay together all the time. If one of you wants to play Bingo and the other doesn't that is okay, you will have more to tell each other when you regroup afterwards.

Get to know your tablemates in the MDR. On one of our cruises we were seated with 3 other couples that we ended up exchanging emails and holiday cards with for years afterward. And if you end up getting placed with people that you truly don't care for or have nothing in common with, don't complain about it, just ask the matre 'd to switch your table and they should be able to accommodate that.

Don't expect everything in other countries to be just like home. Go with the flow, talk with the locals, and enjoy the differences in local culture.

Order everything you ever wanted to try - Even if you only take 1 bite

I know you say don't stuff yourself the first day - But it stinks when you think oh I will try that tomorrow and then tomorrow comes and they don't have it

A cruise vacation was never on my radar. It was simply something I had no interest in doing. A couple members of my wife's family are frequent cruisers and had been asking us to go on one with them for a couple years, but we kept passing. Finally we agreed and went on our first cruise last year. Even though it wasn't really something I wanted to do, I was willing to give it a go because my wife & our son were excited. And I'm glad we went because we ended up loving it. We booked our second cruise last month. Unfortunately it's still a year away, but that's ok, it hasn't stopped us from being excited already and start thinking of things we'd like to do. We're taking some other members of her family and their 3 teens. It'll be their first time and we hope they have as much fun as we will. Last time our son was on his own, but now he'll have his cousins to pal around with, so we know he'll enjoy it more.

Try something you've never had at dinner. We always order one exotic dish for the table to sample. It makes dinner fun! My kids love that they can say they've had shark, squid, escargot, duck, rabbit, etc....
My son & I are very picky eaters, but we took advantage of trying new things. We both had muscles for the first time. I thought they were pretty good and my boy loved them. He tells that story every chance he gets.

We weren't even aware of the "secret" deck on the bow of the Conquest until we got back from our cruise last year and I was watching some videos online. And the really sad part was, one of the doors to that deck was on the same deck as our cabin and not far from it. We're going to take full advantage of it on our next one. I've already looked up its location. I also really like your idea of going out there at night. One thing I was disappointed with last time was not being able to see too many stars because of all the lighting on Lido, etc.

Try something you've never had at dinner. We always order one exotic dish for the table to sample. It makes dinner fun! My kids love that they can say they've had shark, squid, escargot, duck, rabbit, etc....

Agree, it's a great opportunity to try something new. If you have a drinks package, same applies there, try something new.