Who tips their cabin steward

Forum

love sailing with RCCL

Who tips on top of prepaid gratuitys to their cabin steward?

Thanks for your replies.

I wonder if the OP was asking about additional tipping over and above standard.

Updated: Ha! The thread right after this one is about that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2472574

love sailing with RCCL

I wonder if the OP was asking about additional tipping over and above standard.

Updated: Ha! The thread right after this one is about that:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2472574

Yes i was talking above prepaid.

We have done 43 cruises and always done this it was just when a post from germanflyer on that post saying why do you tip extra if they don't do anything extra for you made me wonder as a new poster to cruise critic how many others do the same as i personally give a lot of extra tips.

love sailing with RCCL

From what I've read online and what I've heard from my friends and family who have cruised in the recent years that's becoming more more the case. They're being assigned more and more cabins to deal with and so they really have fewer and fewer opportunities to do anything remarkable enough to Warrant an extra gratuity.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I cannot remember which sailing it was but there was one I did not leave an extra tip. I never saw him (her) the entire week. And he(she) was not there the morning I left.

Really? I find this strange. You d/n leave extra because you did not "see" him? Did he do his job? :rolleyes:

Our BEST cabin attendant was one we never saw! The room was made up and straightened every time we returned to the cabin...fresh towels, even if we hadn't left them on the floor ( I hate leaving stuff on the floor)...trash emptied EVERY time we left the cabin, ice all the time, linens changed daily....Needless to say, we tipped him/her extra on top of the suggested tips.

Folks who don't tip the cabin attendants probably don't tip the hotel housekeeper when they stay in hotels, either.

Folks who don't tip the cabin attendants probably don't tip the hotel housekeeper when they stay in hotels, either.
Though there may be another reason for that. Back in the day, gratuities for housekeepers at hotels was actually a geographically specific phenomenon: IIRC hotels based on the East Coast generally paid their staff based on the assumption that patrons would tip them. That was the standard practice on the East Coast. Meanwhile hotel chains that grew up on the West Coast operated differently. They paid their housekeepers a full living wage and made no Provisions for them to receive gratuities. Of course around the nineteen-sixties hotel chains from the East and the West started overlapping each other's territories and things got very messy. Eventually hotel chains saw the financial benefit for themselves from treating their housekeepers as tipped employees. The industry has rallied around the East Coast model but there are still many folks old enough to have the established their perspectives regarding tipping housekeepers back when things were different. Old habits are hard to break.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

From what I've read online and what I've heard from my friends and family who have cruised in the recent years that's becoming more more the case. They're being assigned more and more cabins to deal with and so they really have fewer and fewer opportunities to do anything remarkable enough to Warrant an extra gratuity.

I agree at one time the cabin stewards were always there and almost every time we left the cabin they would be nearby but now we hardly see them and on our last cruise i had to leave notes for several items that we ran out of.

TBH it is a long time since we had a cabin steward who did more than expected.

love sailing with RCCL

Really? I find this strange. You d/n leave extra because you did not "see" him? Did he do his job? :rolleyes:

This is an example where the cabin steward didn't deserve anything above prepaid gratuitys

love sailing with RCCL

Our BEST cabin attendant was one we never saw! The room was made up and straightened every time we returned to the cabin...fresh towels, even if we hadn't left them on the floor ( I hate leaving stuff on the floor)...trash emptied EVERY time we left the cabin, ice all the time, linens changed daily....Needless to say, we tipped him/her extra on top of the suggested tips.

We prepay our tip when booking usually 9 months in advance and i always believe the crew deserve at least that but if the cabin steward has only done his job and not bothered to interact he probably doesn't deserve extra.

We had a cabin steward once who gave us a written note of every port with invaluable advice he was fantastic.

love sailing with RCCL

We prepay our tip when booking usually 9 months in advance and i always believe the crew deserve at least that but if the cabin steward has only done his job and not bothered to interact he probably doesn't deserve extra.

We had a cabin steward once who gave us a written note of every port with invaluable advice he was fantastic.

love sailing with RCCL

Well, I guess this is a matter of opinion and what one is looking for. As I certainly respect your vision of what the cabin steward should do, I, for one see it as just the opposite. I don't have the need to interact with him/her. I don't need to know their life story, where they are from, how many children they have, etc. I don't need their e-mail address or FB name. Although we are very polite to ALL of the hard-working employee's on the ship, we are paying for their services and that is it. If I do not see my cabin steward for the duration of my vacation and my bed was made, towels replenished...etc. etc, I am very happy with that. If they go above and beyond, I would certainly leave extra $$....but I don't have to see them for this to be accomplished. I love the written note about the ports that you stated. To me, that is above and beyond and a great example of leaving an extra tip. :)

Though there may be another reason for that. Back in the day, gratuities for housekeepers at hotels was actually a geographically specific phenomenon: IIRC hotels based on the East Coast generally paid their staff based on the assumption that patrons would tip them. That was the standard practice on the East Coast. Meanwhile hotel chains that grew up on the West Coast operated differently. They paid their housekeepers a full living wage and made no Provisions for them to receive gratuities. Of course around the nineteen-sixties hotel chains from the East and the West started overlapping each other's territories and things got very messy. Eventually hotel chains saw the financial benefit for themselves from treating their housekeepers as tipped employees. The industry has rallied around the East Coast model but there are still many folks old enough to have the established their perspectives regarding tipping housekeepers back when things were different. Old habits are hard to break.

Interesting story,being from England this is something i never knew.

love sailing with RCCL

The cabin steward is usually the only person I provide additional tip too, however, my last cruise is the only cruise I didn't. They literally did the bare necessities and forgot things one too many times.

I will also tip a bartender extra if they treat me well for the duration of the sailing