Who tips their cabin steward

I see the distinction you're making and can see a lot of merit in it.

With respect, without some more substantive moral defense, I cannot help but see that as an explicitly predatory perspective.

But heck, I live in Georgia, and we take hospitality very seriously here, perhaps more seriously than elsewhere.

Then why not pay the people who work in hospitality a living wage and be respectful to them.

love sailing with RCCL

I see the distinction you're making and can see a lot of merit in it.

With respect, without some more substantive moral defense, I cannot help but see that as an explicitly predatory perspective.

But heck, I live in Georgia, and we take hospitality very seriously here, perhaps more seriously than elsewhere.

Heck I do not need a moral defence.....my money - my rules!:D

You tip - I don't - it evens out!;p

Then why not pay the people who work in hospitality a living wage and be respectful to them.
I would if I owned the world. I don't. Neither do you. So we are honor-bound to do the right thing in the context of the circumstances that we face.

I would if I owned the world. I don't. Neither do you. So we are honor-bound to do the right thing in the context of the circumstances that we face.

True but in our eyes in Europe it looks like the hospitality staff are not respected by their employers and in essence they are literally begging for their wages.

love sailing with RCCL

We also give extra to our wait staff, wine steward, maître d, and favorite ball staff. These people work hard. They also give up things to work on a cruise ship away from their family.

Um, say what?! :eek::eek::eek: Never mind. ;p:')

Some years back, RCL stated the daily tip covered the room steward, waiter, assistant waiter and maître d'. At that time, the room steward and waiter received the lion's share of around $3 each. The daily tip has gone up but RCL states it is also now shared with certain housekeeping and kitchen staff, while giving their staff more tables and cabins to service.

I find the stewards try to stop by to introduce themselves before muster.

I've come back to my cabin several times while my steward was there and had an assistant helping to clean. No, not because I trashed the cabin but because they have so many more to clean.

Yeah, I tip extra unless they su¢k at their jobs. My cruise, my choice. Your cruise, your choice - tip your wait staff, steward and ball staff extra if you wish. But don't remove or reduce the daily tips without valid reason. Those that do - well that's just mean, selfish and cheap. And karma can be a bit¢h.

CB

We tip according to the $13.50 each person in each cabin per day, as prescribed. We're friendly with the cabin steward. Now, if I get one that does above and beyond, they'll get slipped some extra cash at the end of the cruise.

But don't remove or reduce the daily tips without valid reason. Those that do - well that's just mean, selfish and cheap. And karma can be a bit¢h.

CB

You would be right if the nature of the tips would still be personal - but they are NOT!

Today it is a scienced and well calculated multimillion dollar business designed to squeeze the most money out of the clients.....

So don't argue with karma when the other side has decided and crafted a system to make you be emotional as THEY want you to be!....:rolleyes:

That is why IMHO today's gratuities are a scam to extort as much money out of the clients as they can - and nothing more!

True but in our eyes in Europe it looks like the hospitality staff are not respected by their employers and in essence they are literally begging for their wages.
Y'all are correct about that, so why penalize the hospitality staff further?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You would be right if the nature of the tips would still be personal - but they are NOT!

Today it is a scienced and well calculated multimillion dollar business designed to squeeze the most money out of the clients.....

So don't argue with karma when the other side has decided and crafted a system to make you be emotional as THEY want you to be!....:rolleyes:

That is why IMHO today's gratuities are a scam to extort as much money out of the clients as they can - and nothing more!

I can only hope that some day you or one of your family are employed in a position that is dependent on tips!!!:p Enjoy the money that you stiffed the staff.

Y'all are correct about that, so why penalize the hospitality staff further?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I don't want to as i always tip even in England but surely the onus should be on the employer to pay their staff respectable wages not the customer who pays twice.

love sailing with RCCL

Even though i tip we often feel guilty and leave more so your argument is viable and true.

love sailing with RCCL

I don't want to as i always tip even in England but surely the onus should be on the employer to pay their staff respectable wages not the customer who pays twice.
You haven't successfully place that onus on the employer. Work to change the world, yes, but do so from the world, not above it or below it.

Forum

love sailing with RCCL

Depends where you are from, in countries where wages include gratuities its not so common, people feel the normal gratuities are enough to cover it , in countries where they don't, tipping above gratuities is much more prevelant.

Even though I' m in the first group, after some research on what cruise employees are paid, I tip above the gratuities unless I found the room steward to be rude or really slack. (not that thats ever happened to me)

You haven't successfully place that onus on the employer. Work to change the world, yes, but do so from the world, not above it or below it.

Don't understand what you're meaning.

Look I tip regardless I just think that employers should respect their staff more and pay them a living wage.

love sailing with RCCL

Depends where you are from, in countries where wages include gratuities its not so common, people feel the normal gratuities are enough to cover it , in countries where they don't, tipping above gratuities is much more prevelant.

Even though I' m in the first group, after some research on what cruise employees are paid, I tip above the gratuities unless I found the room steward to be rude or really slack. (not that thats ever happened to me)

I always prepay and give extra too.I have always had good service but i would prefer the cruise price to be higher,crew paid a living wage and no autogratuities and when i then leave a tip it is a tip for good service not just to save the cruise lines from paying cheapskate wages.

love sailing with RCCL

Not really......they like it the way it is - because they AND the cruise-line are making a lot more money that way!

So it is an employee + cruise-line alliance on one side - the passengers have to decide if they want to play along with the scam or not!

While there are surely some people in the USA (bartenders with good shifts come to mind) that like working in a tipped position - millions of others want nothing more than to just earn a living wage for a job done well. I would put sales people in a similar bucket - most would prefer not to have to count on finding someone to buy their employers crappy product to get paid their commission.

But - despite this being a hot election topic - it's not changing yet. Waitstaff in the USA need your tips to get to minimum wage amounts - never mind living wage amounts. And the prices you pay - reflect the lower wages that they get paid.

It is YOUR money - and if you don't want to follow the customs, you should pick a different cruise line that does not follow this practice. If you are going to vote with your $$, you need to do it at the right place. If 'you' (general you) choose to support RCI, 'you' are choosing to sail with a line that doesn't pay a living rage and you need to get aligned and supplement your fair with the additional amount. Good service gets the standard. Sub-par service should have a reduction in tips with corrective feedback provided to the manager (guest services in this case). Excellent/above and beyond service CAN be rewarded with an additional personalized bonus. No one has to pay more for better than 'good' service, and no one should pay full gratuity for service that was less than good.

For those living in Australia - RCI has already decided that it's best to just add the charge to the base cruise price for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We found some info on here about putting together a sort of grab bag with chocolate and stamps and other small tokens from our area to give to our cabin attendant on either day 1 or 2. We sailed on FOS last April and Wendy from Jamaica was our cabin attendant. Whether it was the goodie bag which by the way she was blown away by (nearly cried). or just that she was already a great cabin attendant I will never know. Only been on three cruises before that but she was far and away the best cabin attendant we've had yet. We also added some $$ at the end. I will be on Jewel in a few weeks with the plan to repeat what I see as a nice gesture either way, we will see if the results are as good.

While there are surely some people in the USA (bartenders with good shifts come to mind) that like working in a tipped position - millions of others want nothing more than to just earn a living wage for a job done well. I would put sales people in a similar bucket - most would prefer not to have to count on finding someone to buy their employers crappy product to get paid their commission.

But - despite this being a hot election topic - it's not changing yet. Waitstaff in the USA need your tips to get to minimum wage amounts - never mind living wage amounts. And the prices you pay - reflect the lower wages that they get paid.

It is YOUR money - and if you don't want to follow the customs, you should pick a different cruise line that does not follow this practice. If you are going to vote with your $$, you need to do it at the right place. If 'you' (general you) choose to support RCI, 'you' are choosing to sail with a line that doesn't pay a living rage and you need to get aligned and supplement your fair with the additional amount. Good service gets the standard. Sub-par service should have a reduction in tips with corrective feedback provided to the manager (guest services in this case). Excellent/above and beyond service CAN be rewarded with an additional personalized bonus. No one has to pay more for better than 'good' service, and no one should pay full gratuity for service that was less than good.

For those living in Australia - RCI has already decided that it's best to just add the charge to the base cruise price for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting about equating tips with sales commission comparison. I was in sales most of my adult life. I was always one of the top sales people in whichever career I picked. Right from the start of each sales career I demanded to be put on 100% commission. I knew I worked hard, was very organized, thus could make a lot more money than others that did not put in the true effort. I was in control of the money I made, and did not go hungry. ;)

If I was on a guaranteed salary, what would my incentive be? I was happy that I made much more money than some of my slacker counterparts who really needed to be on salary to survive.

I tip extra for service that deserves it.