Question about Voom

We don't want to use AT&T Cellular at Sea. Can someone tell me how Voom works? I thought I read somewhere that you can call home through the Internet and can you text home ? Thank you fir your help

If you enable your phone for WiFi calling (contact AT&T for details if necessary), then you use all your normal phone functions thru the ship's internet (VOOM) connection. Turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi then log into your VOOM account, and your phone is fully functional with no extra charges from the cell company.

If you enable your phone for WiFi calling (contact AT&T for details if necessary), then you use all your normal phone functions thru the ship's internet (VOOM) connection. Turn on airplane mode, then turn on WiFi then log into your VOOM account, and your phone is fully functional with no extra charges from the cell company.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Voom is simply the name for the internet.

iPhones will work if you turn your phone on airplane mode and then turn on your wifi. You will be able to use iMessage as normal... even to people back on land assuming they have iMessage. SMS texts will not go thru unless you are connected to the ships cellular service. In addition, iPhones (not sure about androids) you can enable wi-fi calling and make phone calls via the internet with no need to use the ships expen$sive cell service.

The important thing is to remember when you love the home port to turn your phone onto airplane mode to avoid potentially excessive charges not only for voice, but data too!

iPhones will work if you turn your phone on airplane mode and then turn on your wifi. You will be able to use iMessage as normal... even to people back on land assuming they have iMessage. SMS texts will not go thru unless you are connected to the ships cellular service. In addition, iPhones (not sure about androids) you can enable wi-fi calling and make phone calls via the internet with no need to use the ships expen$sive cell service.

The important thing is to remember when you love the home port to turn your phone onto airplane mode to avoid potentially excessive charges not only for voice, but data too!

SMS texts will work fine when the phone is using WiFi calling.

I feel so stupid when it comes to technology! I've always put my phone on airplane mode and turned off cellular (iPhone user). I'm very interested in using the wifi for calling (dog sitter). I'll have to try and figure out how to enable wifi calling since I purchased voom for my upcoming trip! Thanks for all the info!

. I'll have to try and figure out how to enable wifi calling since I purchased voom for my upcoming trip!!

Try it at home before you leave. Do as you would on the ship (put phone in plane mode and turn on WiFi only) and make a call/ send a text.;)

Not all iPhones have wifi calling. My DH has an iPhone 5 and he does not have wifi calling. Maybe it is carrier specific, we have Verizon, but his iPhone 5 does not have it, my iPhone 6 does.

If you use the wifi calling (in airplane mode) would it count as roaming or as if your calling/texting while in the US?

Not if your normal coverage is in the US. With WiFi calling, the cell carrier treats your phone as if it is in the US. So if you are in Barcelona for example, on WiFi calling, and you call a Barcelona number, the carrier treats that call as if you are calling from the US.

I have an iPhone 6 our carrier is AT&T hope this works.

Go into settings>phone>wifi calling. If the option is there, you have wifi calling and can set up an emergency number. On my DH phone, the wifi calling option isn't there since his iphone 5 doesn't support it.

If you use the wifi calling (in airplane mode) would it count as roaming or as if your calling/texting while in the US?

No, it does not count as roaming. With wifi calling, you connect to your carrier's network through wifi. Roaming is when you connect to a different carrier.

Go into settings>phone>wifi calling. If the option is there, you have wifi calling and can set up an emergency number. On my DH phone, the wifi calling option isn't there since his iphone 5 doesn't support it.

An iPhone 6 on ATT is supported so if the option to turn on wifi calling is not there, you may need a new SIM card which you can get free from any ATT corporate store.

I've never used my phone while on a ship. We were recently on Harmony and used the Voom with our laptop. We were able to FaceTime, Text, email, do everything we can do at home using our wifi connection. It was great but a little expensive.

is the number of devices per room or per adult getting the package? My SO and I both have phones so would we each get a package with one device, or one of us get a package with 2 devices?

A one device package means that you can use only one device at a time. You can have a dozen devices, but only one can be signed on at a time.

If you want to communicate with your SO on board, using both devices at the same time, you need a two device package.

Not all iPhones have wifi calling. My DH has an iPhone 5 and he does not have wifi calling. Maybe it is carrier specific, we have Verizon, but his iPhone 5 does not have it, my iPhone 6 does.

Each carrier decides what hardware and firmware it will support for WiFi calling. So while the phone itself might be capable of WiFI calling, the carrier decides if it will support that feature.

A one device package means that you can use only one device at a time. You can have a dozen devices, but only one can be signed on at a time.

If you want to communicate with your SO on board, using both devices at the same time, you need a two device package.

right so should each of us get a 1 device plan, or one of us get a 2 device plan? Looks like one person getting a 2 device plan is a few dollars cheaper.

right so should each of us get a 1 device plan, or one of us get a 2 device plan? Looks like one person getting a 2 device plan is a few dollars cheaper.

The last time RCI had a sale, two single device plans was cheaper than a two device plan, so for now get the two device plan but be on the look out for sales.

We ordered the one device sale offer for our early April cruise. We are okay with only using one device at a time. Does anyone know how good the Voom is on Rhapsody?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

Just a follow-up: There was some dissatisfaction with our VOOM service on Rhapsody. It generally connected okay, but not always. Service was usually okay for checking mail or using Facebook, etc. The bigger problem was that streaming was almost non-existent. While I wasn't surprised, we were disappointed, especially my husband. We didn't complain to Guest Services, but another passenger told us on the last day that they did complain and got some of the $$ reimbursed. We actually hadn't even thought of doing that! Just thought I'd let you know. I'm sure the service is better on the newer ships though.