Credit card or money for check in

Cruisewithm

The problem will probably be the fact that every organisation involving hotels and cruises etc, will insist on a credit card especially with US dollars involved. What is the problem in giving a credit card at check in?

Not true. NCL is fine with no CC only cash. I would def go cash over debit card.

Please note that any remaining cash left on your onboard account might be mailed to you by check after the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you can set your account up with cash. How many in ur room? Have u prepaid gratuities? For 2 on a 7 nighter, $189 will go for gratuities. If you don't plan on drinking much (or have the UBP) then $400 will be plenty.

I live in BRAZIL and here the government charges almost 7% of any international credit card transaction. I already have the UBP and DSC paid. I was thinking when the cruise finishes they would give me back immediately the rest of the money non spent. That check sent to my home definitely it's not what I was wishing. Maybe the credit card or debit card would be better.

I never actually said it was true. I simply asked a question to the OP as to what was the problem with a credit card

It was what you said BEFORE the question that was untrue. Re-read it.

It was what you said BEFORE the question that was untrue. Re-read it.

OK, this is the post

"The problem will probably be the fact that every organisation involving hotels and cruises etc, will insist on a credit card especially with US dollars involved. What is the problem in giving a credit card at check in?"

So what is untrue? :confused:

If you don't give them a CC then your room card will not allow you to buy anything till you have given them cash on the ship. Whatever you do don't use a debit card, there will be a hold placed on it that may take 30 days to disappear. If you have money left over on the last night go and ask for it back in cash and explain that you gave cash at the start. Check, when you give the cash in, that you want excess back in cash.

Unless it has changed in year and half, on our cruise we had the beverage package and pre-paid our gratuities, so we decided to put cash on our account. After we boarded we went to guest services and put $300 cash on our account. In the morning before we disembarked, I went down to guest services and cashed out. We left the ship with our cash refund, which was almost $200.

Unless it has changed in year and half, on our cruise we had the beverage package and pre-paid our gratuities, so we decided to put cash on our account. After we boarded we went to guest services and put $300 cash on our account. In the morning before we disembarked, I went down to guest services and cashed out. We left the ship with our cash refund, which was almost $200.

I think it's exactly what I will do. I'm travelling by myself, already payed almost everything, so I think $300 is enough.

Thanks.

OK, this is the post

"The problem will probably be the fact that every organisation involving hotels and cruises etc, will insist on a credit card especially with US dollars involved. What is the problem in giving a credit card at check in?"

So what is untrue? :confused:

Your statement is.

NCl (organization involving cruises) does not INSIST on a credit card. It is not a FACT. They gladly accept cash.

I agree with Casofilia. No no to debit cards.

There are many reasons someone might want to do cash.

Like my 20 year old college student niece who only has a debit card.

Dave Ramsey devotees.

Someone who has problems with their finances due to identity theft or a bad divorce.

Or maybe another reason. We are not all alike. Maybe they just want another option.

Regardless, in the vein of helping people on CC it is incorrect to tell them that NCL would INSIST.

That's all. Can we agree to move on?

You cannot give cash at check in. That can only be done on the ship. It shouldn't be a problem to give them a CC at check in, and then fund your account with cash when you get onboard.

Totally Incorrect. And, the OP does not want to use a CC.

The cash check-in policy is

A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person

Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person

More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

When you pay for the cruise is it considered an International Transaction? If it's not, and others with more experience please jump in and correct me, but could you not put money in your account now via the ncl website and avoid having to give CC or cash when embarking?

HI, I'm thinking of giving cash during the check in in the ncl escape to cover my ship expenses, I don't want to use the credit card. Do you think it will be a problem? Is 400,00 dollars enough? It's only a 7 night cruise.

I plan on using cash for onboard expenses as well and found this in the FAQ section of NCLs website

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.

Have a fantastic cruise!!

When you pay for the cruise is it considered an International Transaction? If it's not, and others with more experience please jump in and correct me, but could you not put money in your account now via the ncl website and avoid having to give CC or cash when embarking?

It's another solution I already thought about, I'll be considering it.

My fear is that they take my money and also charges in the CC, since they ask a CC for check in in. I read someone complaining about this situation, that they paid in cash and also charged the CC, it's a a lot of head ache to solve after cruising...

I plan on using cash for onboard expenses as well and found this in the FAQ section of NCLs website

How do I pay for onboard expenses?

For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.

Using your debit or ATM card

• Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
  • Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
  • After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
  • To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
  • Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.

Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures

Have a fantastic cruise!!

Thanks

It's another solution I already thought about, I'll be considering it.

My fear is that they take my money and also charges in the CC, since they ask a CC for check in in. I read someone complaining about this situation, that they paid in cash and also charged the CC, it's a a lot of head ache to solve after cruising...

FYI, I did not produce a CC when I boarded a year and half ago. When going through check in, they asked for a CC, I said I wanted to put cash on account. I was informed to go to guest services when I boarded to put the cash on my account, which is what I did. They never had my CC number.

Just get yourself a pre paid Mastercard. Some of them even have travel benefits built in. The you can transfer cash to it if you run short, you dont put your bank account at risk and you dont have to worry about losing cash or being robbed.