Pizza in Naples & Train to Pisa

swanmark

Hi Guys, couple of questions can anyone recommend where to get a good pizza in Naples, without getting ripped off, and is the best way to get to Pisa by train, and how do we get to the train station ?

In Naples just get off the ship and walk straight ahead about 3 blocks and you will come to Via Toledo. It is awesome with shops and bars and lots of pizza shops.

We actually walked up a small alley to a great pizza spot. Just explore and have fun.

Why you think you would get ripped off is odd. Naples is great!

Thanks for the advice, I think I am a bit negative because of all the comments on here about Naples not being safe

In Naples just get off the ship and walk straight ahead about 3 blocks and you will come to Via Toledo. It is awesome with shops and bars and lots of pizza shops.

We actually walked up a small alley to a great pizza spot. Just explore and have fun.

Why you think you would get ripped off is odd. Naples is great!

Sorry I meant by train from Livorno

Pisa is a long way from Naples, it would be about a four and a half hour train ride.

Is your ship stopping in Livorno (Florence)? From there it's a 45 minute bus ride.

Pisa is a short train journey from Livorno. The problem is that getting to and from Livorno train station from the port is a bit of a pain.

A fairly easy option is to use the shuttle that NCL run. It costs something like $15 from memory and takes you directly to the station and back again. I've never actually used it, but I believe that it runs every 30 minutes or so, so you may have a bit of a wait for it when you get back to Livorno.

When we did it, it was before they were running that shuttle, so we took the port shuttle to the town centre and then the local bus to the station. That's the cheapest route, and it worked fine getting there. However, we found the process of waiting for the bus at Livorno station, travelling to the town centre and then waiting for the shuttle bus to the ship was a pain when all we wanted to do was get back to the ship.

If you use the train then there is a walk of just over a mile to the tower from Pisa station. I thought it was quite a nice walk. Pisa isn't an exciting city, but it was quite pleasant.

Last year we were going to use a bus transfer from citysightseeing from the centre of Livorno to Pisa. Some others on our cruise did it and said it was good (although you still need to use the town centre shuttle to pick it up). I just had a look on the website for a link, and couldn't find it, so I wonder whether they are still doing it.

Perhaps the easiest option would be a taxi, whether to Livorno station or all the way to Pisa. I have no idea of what the costs would be.

We had also considered walking to Livorno station from the town centre. It it about a mile and a half I believe.

As you can see, it isn't the actual train journey that is the problem. That was a very comfortable and efficient service.

Thanks for the advice, I think I am a bit negative because of all the comments on here about Naples not being safe

I wouldn't say that Naples is unsafe. Whilst I can't say that I particularly like Naples (it's a great place to visit though), I have never felt unsafe, and I've walked around it quite a lot.

Check out Pizzeria Mattozzi on Via Toledo - since 1833. Been there last year (photos of their pizza can be seen here - scroll down).

Last time in Livorno the shuttle took us to Grande Piazza. There was a shop in the side street selling train and bus tickets (look for the "T" = tabacchi). We took bus 1 to the train station. But that´s a couple of years ago.

steamboats

You take the cruise ship bus from Livorno to the train station which is pretty far from the port. The train to Pisa for us required a connection both ways- the signs are very good. Remember to validate your tickets in the yellow stamping machines. To switch tracks you have to go in the tunnels under the tracks. When in Pisa, you arrive a few blocks from the main gate- it is not obvious which way to go. As you go in the main gate go to the tower. Keep walking past the tower and turn to the right and the actual town is cute and there are nice little places for lunch.

Sorry I meant by train from Livorno

I am a little confused by your posting. We got off the ship and it was a 30 minute walk to Pisa field of Miracles. No train needed??? A cab was $8 I think. Buses are .50 to there. Its real close, we wanted to walk the Grande ave there.

Pizza, walk past tower, take first exit on left and 2 pizza vendors are just outside the wall.

Museum was a waste in my opinion. Church was very cool as well as other large structure where tombs were and art. (bathrooms are there as well)

Tower itself..... what a let down. Big grain silo, you walk in an enclosed tight stairway and pop out hatch on top. You do not get to go where columns are all the way up.

I could be wrong as well. My wife said we might have taken a ship bus to a drop off point.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016

I am a little confused by your posting. We got off the ship and it was a 30 minute walk to Pisa field of Miracles. No train needed???

It's nearly 10 miles to the sea from Pisa, and nearer 20 miles to Livorno.

You must walk quick. :)

I am a little confused by your posting. We got off the ship and it was a 30 minute walk to Pisa field of Miracles. No train needed??? A cab was $8 I think. Buses are .50 to there. Its real close, we wanted to walk the Grande ave there.
I think you must be mis-remembering your trip to Pisa. Or your ship somehow sailed up the Arno???

From the port of Livorno, there are several options for going to Pisa, but walking is not one of them.

I have seen direct bus services that leave right from the ship and drop you off for a few hours in Pisa. That would be the easiest way to do it, but I don't have any current information about this service, or if it still exists. Otherwise, you need to get the shuttle into town and take a bus from there, or somehow make your way to the Livorno station and take the train.

I think you must be mis-remembering your trip to Pisa. Or your ship somehow sailed up the Arno???

From the port of Livorno, there are several options for going to Pisa, but walking is not one of them.

I have seen direct bus services that leave right from the ship and drop you off for a few hours in Pisa. That would be the easiest way to do it, but I don't have any current information about this service, or if it still exists. Otherwise, you need to get the shuttle into town and take a bus from there, or somehow make your way to the Livorno station and take the train.

Yeah, my wife said the ship had bus service to a drop off point at a square. Once we got off the bus it was a 30 minute walk.:D

I really would not bother too much with Naples. IMHO it`s dirty and not much to see. Yes, getting a Pizza where it was invented is novel-but not that big a deal.

We did a private tour spending about two hours in Pompeii, then on to the Amalfi coast. This was by far the most beautiful section of the Med that we`ve ever seen. We had a great driver-if asked I`ll tell you. We had lunch at this spectacular mountainside restaurant that grows all it`s own veggies, makes it`s own wine and they threat you like kings from the second that you sit down. All the wine and food that you like-excellent for 25 euros. We stopped at Sorrento to shop for about an hour. All in All one of our best ever excursions ever.

Also agree about Pisa Tower-grain silo leaning, not even that much annnnnd you had to pay a euro to use the toilet. We stopped there on the way back from Cinque Terre tour which was great. Once again from the port of Livorno.

It sounds like you are headed to Pisa. But if you do decide to go to Naples then you must (yes, I said "must" lol) go to Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente. Fantastic pizza, charming atmosphere, wonderful people. And there is so much to walk around and see in the surrounding area. I did a study abroad program in Florence for a semester (years ago) and ate my fair share of pizza and nothing compared to Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente in Naples.

We just found a taxi driver at the port who took us on a private tour and, at our request, took us to Herculaneum, Naples and to places with gorgeous views of the Amalfi coast. It was a wonderful day!

After our cruise, we stayed in Rome for a land vacay and wound up going back to that area to go to Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius which was also great.

I really would not bother too much with Naples. IMHO it`s dirty and not much to see. Yes, getting a Pizza where it was invented is novel-but not that big a deal.

We did a private tour spending about two hours in Pompeii, then on to the Amalfi coast. This was by far the most beautiful section of the Med that we`ve ever seen. We had a great driver-if asked I`ll tell you. We had lunch at this spectacular mountainside restaurant that grows all it`s own veggies, makes it`s own wine and they threat you like kings from the second that you sit down. All the wine and food that you like-excellent for 25 euros. We stopped at Sorrento to shop for about an hour. All in All one of our best ever excursions ever.

This is exactly what we are planning to do as well - Pompeii and then Amalfi! Please tell me the tour company and driver's name. Thank you!!

This is exactly what we are planning to do as well - Pompeii and then Amalfi! Please tell me the tour company and driver's name. Thank you!!

I went privately a couple weeks ago, World Tours, with Tony. :)

Greetings

Here's a second vote for Naples being very dirty. Seems they use the streets as refuge containers. If you have a full day there, grab the train to Pompeii. Everyone we talked with loved Pompeii.

Good Sailing

Tom

For me, Naples is a total armpit.

We went to 'the' pizza place - the one from Eat, Pray, Love - http://damichele.net/index.php?lang=uk

We had to queue up for like an hour outside, in a dirty street (I saw nothing in Naples that wasn't dirty) and finally went in and had our pizza. We didn't even like it.

Last time we docked in Naples we did a small group tour (a van of 8) and visited the Amalfi Coast, which was very lovely.

For me, Naples is a total armpit.

We went to 'the' pizza place - the one from Eat, Pray, Love - http://damichele.net/index.php?lang=uk

We had to queue up for like an hour outside, in a dirty street (I saw nothing in Naples that wasn't dirty) and finally went in and had our pizza. We didn't even like it.

Last time we docked in Naples we did a small group tour (a van of 8) and visited the Amalfi Coast, which was very lovely.

I've been there for pizza and also wasn't impressed (but it was a long time ago) . Doesn't hold a candle to the place that I recommended earlier imho.

I am starting to think that our wonderful taxi driver/tour guide only took us to the best (read that as "clean") parts of Naples and to some of the most gorgeous cathedrals and churches, etc in Naples because we saw no more dirt/trash in Naples than we saw in Rome, Florence, Milan, Posetano etc. In fact, the dirtiest Italian city we have been (at least what we witnessed) was Venice and I've been there on land vacations 3 times and my parents have been twice and we agree about that (although we still love it....heck NYC is far worse and we still love to go there as often as possible).

Again, we were only in Naples for a short time on one day and didn't tour the whole city. Very interesting to know for our next trip there.