Dress requirements in dining room on Regal Princess

Cruise Queen II

I am going on an 11 day Northern Europe Cruise and I want to pack light. I am really interested in wearing jeans and nice tops but not interested in packing for day and evening wear. When I looked at the web sight it states smart casual. Any past cruisers that could assist? In addition, is there laundry facilities on board to do your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jeans and a nice top work for smart casual. For formal night in the MDR, you would want nicer slacks, though. There are laundry rooms available to do your own laundry or you can have it sent out, but that will cost a lot more.

Princess defines their dress code in FAQ: WHAT TO PACK under "Clothing Recommendations".

Potstech, what do you mean?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There have been many threads on Cruise Critic about Smart Casual and Formal dress requirements in the dining rooms. Usually some people complain about the people who ruin their dinner by not following the dress code and about Princess not enforcing the code. Then other people complain about having to dress up - they are on vacation after all - and say other people shouldn't care what they wear. After a while the discussion gets heated with people repeating the same arguments on both sides of the issue over and over again - and with no one convincing anyone else. Be prepared for several people to tell you that you can ignore the Princess guidelines and for several other people to tell you that you should follow them exactly.

I'm not getting involved in the argument myself. I wear slacks and open-neck shirts for Smart Casual nights and a dark suit with a tie for Formal Night. However I'm not going to tell everyone else what to wear. I did point out the Princess guidelines because I feel you should know what they are - even if you decide not to follow them.

I've have been on 25 cruises but never on Princess. Times have changed since I started cruising. Some lines now allow nice jeans in dining room on casual nights and I was wondering if Princess allowed it. I have never wore jeans to a dining room before. But I am planning a long pre and post cruise time as well in different cities and I'm trying to see what my options are especially since I am going in May and weather is cooler. I plan to dress smart but also on 11 night cruise I don't want to pack a lot of dress clothes either.

They let me in at Concerto and Symphony MDRs with jeans and tucked in polo shirts. Non-formal nights tho. On the second formal night, wife saw the head waiter turned down someone in jeans.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

My first ever cruise will be in the Baltic in May so I don't base the following on any past experience.

I wasted a lot of time worrying about what to wear.

When I sit around at airports watching my fellow travelers, I am surprised how 'casual' some of them are dressed. Others surprise me with how 'over the top' they are dressed. I guess I must be somewhere in the middle so my smart casual should be OK

When it comes to formal wear, I had more trouble. I purchased my first suit 20 years ago for my fathers funeral and wore it again 6 years later for my mothers funeral. I still fit into it but didn't like the idea of carting it half way round the world (28 hours flight times).

Today I happened to park outside a menswear store that is closing down. I am now the proud owner of a suitable jacket and together with a tie that I think I still have somewhere, I shouldn't embarrass the wife too much.

Rule number one - be comfortable.

Rule number two - see rule number one.

Jim

My wife does not wear jeans on formal night at the MDR. When we don't feel like dressing up formally on formal nights, we just have our dinner at the HC or Alfredo's. Dress code at MDR not a problem for us. Lots of dining venue on the Regal.

Nice dark colored jeans is perfectly fine for men and women along with a nice top for the non-formal nights. The Regal has a laundry room on each floor with washer/dryers + ironing boards. You can buy tokens from the machine with your cruise card.

Here we go again.

You are so right but I have a better answer. Here we go again & again & again. This question is asked at least 3 or 4 times a week. You will get the same answers from the same people again & again. Am I making my point?

Tony

You are so right but I have a better answer. Here we go again & again & again. This question is asked at least 3 or 4 times a week. You will get the same answers from the same people again & again. Am I making my point?

Tony

You will find in Europe we do tend dress more formally than American passengers.

It's usually warm enough indoors on cruise ships so a very lightweight pair of black pants are all you need as an alternative to your jeans. Pair them with one of the nice tops you're already planning to take so that's just one extra item in your suitcase.

It's usually warm enough indoors on cruise ships so a very lightweight pair of black pants are all you need as an alternative to your jeans. Pair them with one of the nice tops you're already planning to take so that's just one extra item in your suitcase.

Need more than that for a 7 day cruise. What happens if it gets cold indoors on a few nights? Jeans are allowed on CASUAL nights as long as they are not torn or have holes. No need to bring any extra items.

Let me be clear, I don't frequent these boards. I've never worn jeans on a cruise before. I was looking at my options because I was going to see if jeans were an option. I'm am taken aback at the assumptions and some of the responses. I just wanted to know if I could wear on a few nights. I see that there are strong feeling around this topic. Thank you to those that were very helpful with their information, I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've sailed Regal many days and my husband has never had a problem eating in the MDR on smart casual nights wearing khaki pants (I wear a skirt or pants).

HOWEVER, they made my husband change from sandals to closed-toed shoes one night, refusing to even let him in with sandals on (after I had told him not to wear them in the first place, I might add). They said it is okay for women to wear sandals in the MDR, however.

You can wear whatever you want. When we went on the 12 night European cruise I brought a jersey pair of black pants and mixed and matched with a few lightweight jersey tops. I know what you mean about not wanting to tote a ton of clothes. I do have to say, having just disembarked the Regal, we never felt the need to go into the dining room since the buffet is so exceptionally good. We hate having to get dressed up every night.

And I do recommend the Crowne Grille too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No matter what advice people give you on threads like this, you will end up doing what you want to do anyway. Nobody really cares anymore. We live in a society where most people say I will just do what I want to do and nobody is going to tell me what to do.

Jeans are acceptable in the MDR on CASUAL nights. They should not be torn or have any unnecessary holes in them.

Thank you for the explanation NavyVeteran.

It made me wonder, what are the necessary holes? :D

I've have been on 25 cruises but never on Princess. Times have changed since I started cruising. Some lines now allow nice jeans in dining room on casual nights and I was wondering if Princess allowed it. I have never wore jeans to a dining room before. But I am planning a long pre and post cruise time as well in different cities and I'm trying to see what my options are especially since I am going in May and weather is cooler. I plan to dress smart but also on 11 night cruise I don't want to pack a lot of dress clothes either.

Per the Princess web site...."For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse."

As you see Princess is very lenient in their requirements for both men & women.

Oh, btw- Jeans are acceptable on any casual nights.