CC Complimentary Travel Insurance Warning

An interesting bit of information I discovered when I compared "Allianz Comprehensive Travel Insurance" product disclosure booklet with their product disclosure booklet produced for Citibank/MasterCard "Complimentary Travel Insurance". The former policy definitely covers cancellation fees and lost deposits that have been paid in advance. While the later definitely does not. The documents are similar but at the same time very different.To me this would indicate that the credit card company dictates the limitations on the policy they buy.

I am only posting this information as I delve deeper as I would hate to think other fellow cruises could get caught out in similar circumstances. As we all know things can change overnight.

I am only posting this information as I delve deeper as I would hate to think other fellow cruises could get caught out in similar circumstances. As we all know things can change overnight.

Absolutely, thats is why I posted the FCC info, some may think it covers them until final payment, but it does not anymore, you lose it.

Allianz, QBE and all the others that underwrite insurance policies have different cover for each.

I am so glad you shared your info as it made me think about ours and recheck it and also call Princess in relation to the FCC.

I have learnt many things on CC over the years, some people share, some don't, but if it helps one person it is all good:D

An interesting bit of information I discovered when I compared "Allianz Comprehensive Travel Insurance" product disclosure booklet with their product disclosure booklet produced for Citibank/MasterCard "Complimentary Travel Insurance". The former policy definitely covers cancellation fees and lost deposits that have been paid in advance. While the later definitely does not. The documents are similar but at the same time very different.To me this would indicate that the credit card company dictates the limitations on the policy they buy.

That's true in that the credit card company has agreed to fund the specific product offered, which may well be different from what the underlying insurer retails themselves. It doesn't necessarily mean they have dictated any variations as it may have just been what was offered/agreed by the underwriter at the time the agreement was struck, or one of a number of offerings that the credit card company then chose to take up.

That said, this comes down to the wording in the PDS offered. If your coverage appears to be met under what the underwriter offers then your dispute is with them. If it's clearly not covered, then it just isn't covered, and going back to the credit card company doesn't change the situation or coverage for that claim. (If you thought it a frequent recurring situation then could campaign with them for it to be changed for the future, but for the cost of effort would probably be just better off sourcing an alternate cover.)

Looking at Princess Passage Contract the longer the cruise the larger the deposit.

Thanks for that information. I didn't realise Princess requested such large deposits. I actually lost two x $100 deposits, which I paid for, with Princess because I didn't use them.

Thanks for sharing this information, which is a warning to all passengers to read the fine print before paying any monies up front.

If the cruise is booked out, with a possible waiting list, I suggest you write to the CEO of the cruiseline requesting a refund of your large deposit, on compassionate grounds. Good Luck!

t

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this:

Citigroup Complimentary Insurance has refused any refund on my $4400 deposit paid with my Platinum MasterCard and I quote the following nice little one liner:-

"Because you have not obtained a travel ticket you are not eligible for the Complimentary Travel Insurance".

So be very wary of CC complimentary insurance and read every line of their Product Disclosure Statement.:mad:

Hope everything goes well for Happysnapper health wise.

2 words to everyone else.

Insurance/ Beware.

Esp in light of what is happening, they are scrambling, desperate, to get out of every claim. desperate for every bit of cash.

Now lets see when the GOV announces our new levy, Hy.

An update on this:

Citigroup Complimentary Insurance has refused any refund on my $4400 deposit paid with my Platinum MasterCard and I quote the following nice little one liner:-

"Because you have not obtained a travel ticket you are not eligible for the Complimentary Travel Insurance".

So be very wary of CC complimentary insurance and read every line of their Product Disclosure Statement.:mad:

So if you pay the full amount now, you can claim the insurance if you choose to cancel closer to the date? :confused:

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

CC policies are fine if you don't have any problems. Even with my pre existing conditions, and having to pay additional premium for travel insurance it still comes down to a small part of the overall cost. Peace of mind is worth it.

As DFAT says if you can't afford insurance you can't afford to travel.

So if you pay the full amount now, you can claim the insurance if you choose to cancel closer to the date? :confused:

Exactly, If my husband's health became an issue after final payment in a months time I could have made a claim for $22,000!

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

CC policies are fine if you don't have any problems. Even with my pre existing conditions, and having to pay additional premium for travel insurance it still comes down to a small part of the overall cost. Peace of mind is worth it.

As DFAT says if you can't afford insurance you can't afford to travel.

We can afford insurance. It was just that we have utilised this type of insurance cover a number of times and on 2 occasions we have made small claims without any problems. I submitted this post to warn people that CC travel Insurances are not all the same and to read every word of the product.

We can afford insurance. It was just that we have utilised this type of insurance cover a number of times and on 2 occasions we have made small claims without any problems. I submitted this post to warn people that CC travel Insurances are not all the same and to read every word of the product.
Yes, the can differ greatly. The Product Disclosure Statement is required reading.

Yes, the can differ greatly. The Product Disclosure Statement is required reading.

Indeed, get the policy booklet from your bank etc. The ANZ one is an informative document.:cool:

Used the ANZ FF Platinum Card travel insurance on the last 6 trips overseas, made one claim, no problems paid out in 2 weeks.

An update on this:

What do they mean by 'travel ticket?' Do they mean an airline or cruise line E ticket?:hearteyes:

What do they mean by 'travel ticket?' Do they mean an airline or cruise line E ticket?:hearteyes:

From my limited understanding we have to had been issued with our tickets. They don't seem to acknowledge the fact booking an acquiring airline tickets is instant. Booking and paying for a cruise, especially a lengthy one, is rather different.

From my limited understanding we have to had been issued with our tickets. They don't seem to acknowledge the fact booking an acquiring airline tickets is instant. Booking and paying for a cruise, especially a lengthy one, is rather different.

Perhaps if no satisfaction, you might refer the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman? :evilsmile:

Perhaps if no satisfaction, you might refer the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman? :evilsmile:

Les, when I read this policy, I believe they don't cover for a deposit, a claim can only be made when it is paid in full, thats their meaning of a ticket.

In this case Happysnapper had only paid a desposit of $4000 ($2000 each) therefore they are saying it is not a ticket. Needs to be fully paid.

Les, when I read this policy, I believe they don't cover for a deposit, a claim can only be made when it is paid in full, thats their meaning of a ticket.

In this case Happysnapper had only paid a desposit of $4000 ($2000 each) therefore they are saying it is not a ticket. Needs to be fully paid.

Insurance companies suck but unfortunately we need the insurance to ensure we don't lose everything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi please don't give up, I have just had a major battle with QBE through Westpac, its taken three months and many many phone calls and eventually got my bank manager involved she has been awesome she rang them today and lo and behold the cheque is in the mail.

I know your circumstances are different but its worth giving it a try

Have presented a case to Princess. They have had our substantial deposit for nearly 2 years. So hoping something comes out of that even if its a future cruise. CC Insurance through Allianz have said no...have to pay in full before a claim. Have written to MasterCard/Cardservices x 2 pointing out the short comings of the policy but they have never had to courtesy to reply.