Just curious - anyone have luck with RumRunners after new liquid policy?

People are smuggling water and specialty coffees.

Not serious.

I hope.

I didn't have any issues back in July on the Jewel. I only bring enough to have in my room so I don't have go to a bar and bring one back. NCLs Bar set up is nice as well, but their prices for a liter of booze is outrageous. Of course, I live in Arizona and we have really cheep booze compared to other States. Just sayin.;p

I used to "carpet bomb" our luggage with a 1.75 liter bottle of rum in every suitcase. Worst I had happen, a single suitcase was held and I had to go to the "Naughty Room." Last cruise, they just placed a letter inside the suitcase like TSA at the airport does, but the other 3 suitcases with the booty made it ;p

Now, however, with the UBP as one of the "Choose 5" promo, I am a retired bootlegger and sip to my little liver's content :cool:

People are smuggling water and specialty coffees.

Not serious.

I hope.

Ha! You say this in jest but I will admit that I was going to try to smuggle my International Delight French Vanilla on our cruise this past January but than I found out I could buy a couple of boxes of little creamers on Amazon instead so I was saved from a life of crime!

Please don't flame me - just curious (and I did use the "search" feature, but found nothing). Also, is a sealed bottle of really, truly mouthwash allowed?

Since you asked.,, we actually did have a rum runner on our last cruise. However, it wasn't supposed to be for the cruise; it was for our pre-trip to Iceland. The booze in Iceland is very pricey and we brought something to have after dinner drinks in our room.

We actually didn't finish it all so ended up bringing the rest on the cruise. It wasn't taken, nor were we called to the naughty room. We had the drink package, but learned we could not order drinks to our room from our butler (we were in the Haven) ... So, we did eventually drink the rest of what we had in our room.

Ha! You say this in jest but I will admit that I was going to try to smuggle my International Delight French Vanilla on our cruise this past January but than I found out I could buy a couple of boxes of little creamers on Amazon instead so I was saved from a life of crime!

We actually packed 2 Sugar-Free Coffee Mate creamers on our carry on. Got stopped at screening, I showed them it was sealed and informed him that it was "Sugar-Free" and not available on the ship - wife is pre-diabetic. He said to have a nice cruise and we walked on with them...

We actually packed 2 Sugar-Free Coffee Mate creamers on our carry on. Got stopped at screening, I showed them it was sealed and informed him that it was "Sugar-Free" and not available on the ship - wife is pre-diabetic. He said to have a nice cruise and we walked on with them...

Isn't everybody who isn't diabetic, pre-diabetic ?

Sorry in advance for joking about a medical condition.

No, it's shorthand for a specific medical diagnosis named "impaired glucose tolerance" and/or "impaired fasting glucose" and is usually based on the results of a fasting glucose tolerance test. Doctors also give the diagnosis for the same reason that they give a diagnosis of diabetes, an elevated blood glucose fasting level over two separate blood tests.

So it is protected under the ADA, just as diabetes is.

Not really, but I'm going to keep it in mind as a good excuse for something someday :)

Seriously, though. I am mostly also a "retired bootlegger" since the UBP became ubiquitous. But I may still bring a certain type of brandy that we like to enjoy as a nightcap. They don't always have it and I once had a server who was so helpful that he went and scoured the whole ship for it. I didn't mean to put anyone to that much trouble! Very true that at this point smuggling would be saving NCL some money so there's not much point in their discouraging it anymore.

That's funny :D I Know what you mean -- "pre-diabetic" meds and diet -- have become prevalent - not for discussion here though...

It's not making fun of a condition but an observation of some who perceive it as physician/pharmaceutical company push.

As for the rum-runners, we have never felt the need to bring any alcohol with us especially after the beverage packages invention. We've gotten the beverage package (free or pay for it) on cruises we go on since then. I do sometimes take a few shots that I can't find on ships in a couple of 4 oz shampoo bottles to toast on formal nights on our balcony. My mother on the other hand takes her bottle of bourbon on every cruise (she has been cruising for about 30 years) and has gotten caught only once..she says she can't be bothered with runners and such ..;)

Edited by nednrom

Our last trip using a Rum Runner we got caught. Our last case was delayed getting to our cabin so we suspected something. When it arrived there was a note.

Now the problem with rum runners is that the policy is that if the "bottle" is unopened it will be held back for you to collect at the end of the cruise.

If the "container" is not sealed ie. decanted into another vesicle then it gets disposed of. There was a whole bottle of Woodford Reserve that we didn't get back.