Seabourn- quality change since acquisition by Carnival?

New Devotee

On our last cruise on Sojourn the only difference seemed to be in the number of well trained staff on board. However, the more I read about Encore the more I do not wish to travel on her, not mainly because of the increased number of passengers but more because the 'tone' of what is on offer seems to be changing. It is as if Seabourn are now trying to appeal to the sort of people who value what you might call obvious luxury - wanting everyone to know how rich they are, with additions like the Retreat. To me smacks a bit of the Regent Explorer schtick - lots of Versace plates and expensive but bought by the yard pictures for the walls etc. Most laid back Seabourn regulars would not like this. I hope I am wrong; time will tell.

Where will they go?

Perhaps back to a land-based vacation. Cruising and its popularity are at an all time high right now. Cruise companies know this and they will continue to erode their product in order to increase margins until such point that demand begins to fall.

I predict that all-inclusive luxury land vacations will become a major option in the future as the price of premium cruising increases and land-based resorts embrace an 'everything for one price option'. Think Club-Med on luxury steroids.

Lincslady,

I agree with every word you wrote above. The Retreat is a joke. I mean, is a ship so bad, depressing or overwhelmimg that you need to retreat to a retreat for $350 per day?

Another design oddity of Encore relative to the Odyssey class ships is that there is much less outside deck space per passenger, and in absolute terms for walkers and for deck sports. I view Encore is best suited for short cruises that are port intensive, as a consequence, for my interests.

I do like the style of the Thomas Keller restaurant including its entry and bar though. It is as near "bling" as I would like and admire in a hotel, bar or restaurant.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Lincslady,

I agree with every word you wrote above. The Retreat is a joke. I mean, is a ship so bad, depressing or overwhelmimg that you need to retreat to a retreat for $350 per day?

Another design oddity of Encore relative to the Odyssey class ships is that there is much less outside deck space per passenger, and in absolute terms for walkers and for deck sports. I view Encore is best suited for short cruises that are port intensive, as a consequence, for my interests.

I do like the style of the Thomas Keller restaurant including its entry and bar though. It is as near "bling" as I would like and admire in a hotel, bar or restaurant.

You know I agree with your opinion about Encore markham.

We have booked to sail next year on Encore to give it another chance. This time we are doing only a 14 day port intensive cruise in the Summer. This way my husband won't get frustrated with the lack of deck space for walking, as we will be able to go for long walks onshore. I am hoping a compromise might be reached and they maybe will allow people to walk around Deck 12 until 8 or 8.30am so people who walk early can do so with a bit more space.

We are looking forward to going to the sushi restaurant again and we like the new Colonnade. There were things we did enjoy and the crew did work very hard. It will be interesting to see how we view it in July, 2018.

I remember very well on my first Seabourn cruise on the Pride in 2003 people were complaining that there had been cutbacks. No more petit fours in the bar after dinner, for example. Some cutbacks are just the nature of the beast and sadly, some refuse to accept that. As Les Picantins posted, "where will they go?" There's not a better luxury cruise line out there imo. They have all made cutbacks. You want to go to a land based vacation? Figure out the daily tariff for a luxury hotel room, three meals, all drinks and tips, transportation between destinations etc. , not to mention the hassle of getting from one place to the next, and you'll soon come running back to Seabourn.

I remember very well on my first Seabourn cruise on the Pride in 2003 people were complaining that there had been cutbacks. No more petit fours in the bar after dinner, for example. Some cutbacks are just the nature of the beast and sadly, some refuse to accept that. As Les Picantins posted, "where will they go?" There's not a better luxury cruise line out there imo. They have all made cutbacks. You want to go to a land based vacation? Figure out the daily tariff for a luxury hotel room, three meals, all drinks and tips, transportation between destinations etc. , not to mention the hassle of getting from one place to the next, and you'll soon come running back to Seabourn.

Another consideration might be the safety of a cruise ship (real or perceived) over a land based resort. Well, as long as you don't factor in that sinking thing.......:D There are new "niche" players coming out over the next few years. Some might be close to what Seabourn was before Seabourn went "big".

I do agree Wripro that all lines have made changes and "cutbacks" but that doesn't mean we should just accept everything without a word. After my husband and I submitted our post cruise survey for the Encore, Seabourn Seattle actually emailed us for further clarification. I was very impressed they contacted us.

When I made our booking for Encore next year I rang Seabourn Australia to double check availability of particular suites. The rep I spoke with I knew from previously occasions and she had sailed on Encore for three days. We had a very interesting discussion and she said they are very aware about the issues re laundry and The Club and are trying to fix things. As she is a deck walker she also noticed that problem too re lack of walking space.

I was reassured on both occasions they appreciated the input from their guests both positive and negative. Somethings can't and won't be changed but that doesn't mean we don't politely put forward our views.

Julie

Something that no one has mentioned here is that while yes some cut-backs have been made, the cruise fares are also now lower than they were before 2012 or 2011. Also, since approximately the same time (maybe a year later) they added more club member benefits. That said, our vacation budgets have also taken advantage of these cut-backs.

I don't know if this just applies to the UK, but I was looking some cruises up today on SB, and prices per day seem to have gone up quite a lot over the past few months ?? What used to be around £250 per diem now seems to come out at at least £300, and on some cruises at £500 per person per day - or am I imagining this? This on one of the most well known Agencies in the UK. And no guarantee fares at all. Am I getting this wrong?

I don't know if this just applies to the UK, but I was looking some cruises up today on SB, and prices per day seem to have gone up quite a lot over the past few months ?? What used to be around £250 per diem now seems to come out at at least £300, and on some cruises at £500 per person per day - or am I imagining this? This on one of the most well known Agencies in the UK. And no guarantee fares at all. Am I getting this wrong?

Lincslady I agree. I'm sure the unfavourable exchange rates are having an impact but the move to seemingly offering OBs on fewer sailings could signal a change in strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But on the other hand it looks like they just significantly discounted the summer Alaska cruises.

I've been watching pricing rather closely and from what I can see, the strategy is to price high initially and then have a "sale" 6 to 8 months in advance of the sailing if not selling well. I have also seen large daily swings in pricing. For example, for my upcoming end of July cruise, the pricing was lowest in January, then has fluctuated, sometimes on a daily basis, by + or - 30%. Some days up, then down, then stable then up then down etc (and now sold out). I guess you need to be comfortable at the price you book at and then either ignore the price after that....or follow it closely and ask your TA to call Seabourn and ask for a credit/ adjustment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The strategy does seem to have changed recently, in the UK a least. Cruises coming up pretty soon still have quite a lot of availability, but no recent reduction in prices. They did of course come up at much less than the printed brochure price some time ago, but no move downwards since then. I agree that the fall in sterling will have had some effect. I have not been looking at Alaska, one cruise there many years ago was enough for me - too many ships in each town; much prefer the Norwegian fjords personally.

If Cunard is what you know re cruising, then you are in for a very pleasant surprise on a Seabourn ship. You will probably never want to cruise on Cunard again and find, like we did, that an occasional crossing on QM2 is the only voyage where their unique offering gets any attention from us.

The only connection between Cunard and Seabourn IS the Carnival umbrella. Seabourn, as an honest luxury brand, is just better value for what you get, as you will soon appreciate.

I am currently on the Quest with hubby. Our usual lines are Cunard and Celebrity, always in suites.

Other than the 450 passengers versus the larger ships, you will find Seabourn to be similar in many ways to QG on the Mary. You certainly have many more options for activities on the QM2 on a transatlantic, more higher quality speakers and entertainers.

The food is mostly excellent on the Quest, however you are not encouraged to make special orders for food as in the QG. Guess they are available, just haven't been offered. The wines are okay but you will pay to have a better wine. Now that Cunard includes all beverages, $13 and under, for both PG and QG, and all gratuities; there is less of a difference between the lines. Celebrity has also gone to all inclusive for all suites.

In summary, you will be happy with Seabourn but will alsocontinue to be pleased with the grill or suite experience on other lines.

I am currently on the Quest with hubby. Our usual lines are Cunard and Celebrity, always in

Now that Cunard includes all beverages, $13 and under, for both PG and QG, and all gratuities; there is less of a difference between the lines. Celebrity has also gone to all inclusive for all suites.

In summary, you will be happy with Seabourn but will alsocontinue to be pleased with the grill or suite experience on other lines.

Coverpoint. What is your source for stating thatCunard now includes all beverages up to$13 and gratuities in PG and QG grades? Could not find it on the Cunard web site.

It's actually up to $12 per drink, not $13. And these are promotions which are current and may not last forever.

What a shame as we booked a cruise on Cunard a few months ago in a PG but presumably will not benefit from this promotion.