* LIVE from the Rotterdam - 30 day Passage to Spain and Western Europe - Mar. 30th*

kazu

Fabulous photos - thank you for investing the time, energy, money, and of course, Jose's patience, in posting all of them for us to enjoy. BTW, the horses in the water fountain look like what's happening in Quebec with the flooding right now!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Fabulous photos - thank you for investing the time, energy, money, and of course, Jose's patience, in posting all of them for us to enjoy. BTW, the horses in the water fountain look like what's happening in Quebec with the flooding right now!

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

LOL - Jose will appreciatethe thanks for his patience ;p

Great pictures.

I wonder how many pairs of shoes you wore out with all that walking.

Believe it or not, I came home with the same shoes I left with.

I had hoped to buy some but whenever I found a pair I liked in Spain or Italy, they never had my size :(

Jacqui, thanks for all the shots of Versailles. I don't think I've ever seen so much sustained opulence in one place. The colo(u)rs really come through in your photos.

Did you get a sense of what kinds of things were off limits to photography and why?

Jacqui, thanks for all the shots of Versailles. I don't think I've ever seen so much sustained opulence in one place. The colo(u)rs really come through in your photos.

Did you get a sense of what kinds of things were off limits to photography and why?

Most pics could be done with "no flash" inside, but there were some spots where the sign was clear of "no camera at all". I think it was mostly some lovely oil paintings and there was a room where it was marked. Some of the precious things were under glass but apparently it was not enough protection for some of those and the sign was on them.

The biggest problem with pics (for me) was the crowds and not getting shoved while you were trying to take one.

Well everyone that was on the excursion to Rouen has remarked about the bells ringing at noon at the church that I thought maybe I should post a video that I took as we walked by the church. I could not resist taking a video. I madly took out my camera and clicked on the video button and got most of the bells. Here is the link to the file on our Microsoft's OneDrive, then just click the picture to open the video file.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=7AFC87CDF2F6DCA%2124816&cid=07AFC87CDF2F6DCA

It was something pretty special.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll have to take a look.

I need to find my notes for the next day in Paris but will be back shortly with that.

In the meantime, another train story. We took the train back from Versailles and our guide had warned us to hang on to our tickets in case there was an inspection.

Rules are pretty strict and fines are hefty if you don't have your ticket.

The inspector came by and just one seat up from us were a couple who didn't have the right ticket. The inspector tried to be helpful knowing they were tourists and they shouldn't have been able to enter with the ticket they had (you have to insert your ticket for the gate to open to get on).

This couple were tourists - not travellers. They were making fools of themselves arguing that the ticket was right and that they were tourists and new to the city so they should be excused. Seriously??? Paris gets so many tourists it is unbelievable.

They were pushing the line, so the inspector called his boss, and the associates and said he was calling the police. Now, if the train gets to the stop and the police board their fine goes from 110 euros (for 2) to 150 euros.

I couldn't believe their stupidity. Really, in Paris on alert, do you want to have an altercation with the police? I sure don't.

The wife started talking to her husband when they said police and you will need your passports.

We were doing our best to tune out but the husband was not going to let it go. I'm not sure what happened at the end. I think they agreed to pay the fine. The inspectors were all watching them the entire trip until we got off so I don't know what the end result was as we got off first (thankfully).

All I know is that if I make a mistake and have to pay a fine,I will pay up and not argue with the inspectors nor invite a visit by the police. ;)

Thank you both so very much for this wonderful thread. Jacqui, you inspired us to book the October Atlantic Adventurer today!

I've begun clipping your thread into chapters for my research! There are many ports in common with your itinerary. I'm a little sorry that we're not going to be on your lovely Rotterdam, instead we will be on Veendam. But we've enjoyed about 60 nights or more on Maasdam so I'm trusting we will enjoy her sister ship. It's so exciting, we'll be on a Dam ship, and for 49 nights! It's a great itinerary for us. Many thanks. m--

Well everyone that was on the excursion to Rouen has remarked about the bells ringing at noon at the church that I thought maybe I should post a video that I took as we walked by the church. I could not resist taking a video. I madly took out my camera and clicked on the video button and got most of the bells. Here is the link to the file on our Microsoft's OneDrive, then just click the picture to open the video file.

Rick

Hi Rick, for some reason I don't see a picture to click on?

Thanks, Claudia

Rick

I don't have an account so was unable to sign in to view the video. :')

Thank you both so very much for this wonderful thread. Jacqui, you inspired us to book the October Atlantic Adventurer today!

I've begun clipping your thread into chapters for my research! There are many ports in common with your itinerary. I'm a little sorry that we're not going to be on your lovely Rotterdam, instead we will be on Veendam. But we've enjoyed about 60 nights or more on Maasdam so I'm trusting we will enjoy her sister ship. It's so exciting, we'll be on a Dam ship, and for 49 nights! It's a great itinerary for us. Many thanks. m--

Lovely! I hope you have a great time.

Sorry about the link, the link works on my computer, so lets try this direct link to the video:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AsptL998yK8HgcFxOjtbty_TzV7bZQ

That worked just fine Rick. Thanks :)

Just catching up on your posts, great shots. Those shots from Honfleur looked like the place we all stopped for a bite when we cruised with you. Thanks for the great write up.

Allan

Just catching up on your posts, great shots. Those shots from Honfleur looked like the place we all stopped for a bite when we cruised with you. Thanks for the great write up.

Allan

Not the same place Allan, but definitely the same location. who can resist that beautiful spot?

Sorry all, sick dog put me behind. She's on the mend now so I will be back with Paris and once that is done a little art tour of the Rotterdam if you all like.

Not the same place Allan, but definitely the same location. who can resist that beautiful spot?

Sorry all, sick dog put me behind. She's on the mend now so I will be back with Paris and once that is done a little art tour of the Rotterdam if you all like.

Yes, yes, please give us more.

Yes, yes, please give us more.

Careful what you wish for ;)

The next day in Paris was a big national holiday (May day).

Lilies of the valley were everywhere to celebrate the day and it is custom for the man to buy one and give it to his beloved to cement their relationship. DH didn't buy me any LOL.

Actually, we postponed the purchase until we were done our touring and then, when the police started heading to the protests we decided to high tail it the other way and we never saw any more of the lilies of the valley.

Everything is closed on this holiday, including museums which I knew. I had planned a walk along the Seine and, thanks to our wonderful guide for Versailles, she suggested we visit several wonderful churches as well.

Lots of bridges all along the Seine. thanks to the monarchy, who didn't want to ride around it.

c05ab558b95742dbec8f1c34d1216af1.jpg

Our first stop would of course be....Notre Dame. Everyone has to go there. LOL. You can get a glimpse of it from the above pic.

25973bfb523e37b7b2e16552bc43062c.jpg

582cbacd6d047f72d2719d4b5cb387f4.jpg

a2370b5c512a6e5650eeaad3b495c473.jpg

16808a5c257fe907dce6023fc42764ab.jpg

I need DH's memory card as I am sure that he has better pics than I. I tend to focus on details and the church was so huge it was hard to get a pic of the whole thing.

The lineup to get in stretched for miles. We decided to carry on our walk. The church wasn't far from our hotel and we could try to get in on a less busy day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loved this statue in the Notre Dame plaza

2f537339e568b15e3fa5c24dfe64f401.jpg

We continued on our walk...

04a2ed59a867e9e231968344ffb6fb39.jpg

So many tempting things along the way....

c2016374c3e4b85f39507eabe1ef9ee6.jpg

67a48275f682368aafbc270b8617be0d.jpg

Our first stop was Saint Severin church.

ffdd0688ea00f3a52773483fa9918b54.jpg

A magnificent church, it was built during the 13th - 15th century.

57117af16199c17d377e5731ae4eb27a.jpg

A bit of a story on St. Severin and the stained glass windows for those whom it may interest.

44cb9e5e0c8d48fe3d0110341248055a.jpg

2d9d337d9c409f97465e9ebf2c966b56.jpg

And a bit more of the inside of this lovely church...

557bdf78a749bea184ff97a1fafc1793.jpg

3d120be1043d36bcaf1c2b4291867846.jpg

0c230c9a0a776a79b5f85cb73fe44522.jpg

We had walked quite a ways, so before we proceeded we decided it was time to take a break.

045c4308a9e09948f87314d11be792fd.jpg