* LIVE from the Rotterdam - 30 day Passage to Spain and Western Europe - Mar. 30th*

kazu

Loving your photos of my favorite city in the world. It's been 5 years since our last visit, and these photos helped :D

You're right, the Louvre definitely is not an "easy day"!! We've spent 4 hours in the Egyptian section alone...

Springtime in Paris is truly delightful, thank you.

Loving your photos of my favorite city in the world. It's been 5 years since our last visit, and these photos helped :D

You're right, the Louvre definitely is not an "easy day"!! We've spent 4 hours in the Egyptian section alone...

Springtime in Paris is truly delightful, thank you.

Thank you. And yes, the Louvre was not an easy day, but really worth while.

Springtime for us was cool and rainy but we enjoyed it.

The sun was scheduled to come out the day after we left. LOL.

I forgot to mention that on our Eiffel Tower/tour around day walking we cam across the Musee du Quai Branly Jacques Chirac.

This museum had a temporary exhibit about Picasso.

3295a4d6b7dbdf9b263ac800a0f4a392.jpg

DH was in 7th heaven. We skipped the permanent exhibits and just went for the temporary one of Picasso as we were pretty museum'd out. This museum has beautiful gardens that lead the way in and was very popular with locals.

Worth a visit to see what is there if you are in Paris. It's a reasonably easy walk from the Eiffel Tower along the Seine.

No pics were allowed inside though so, even though some idiots were doing it, we did not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to our last night in Paris...

After tackling the laundry and organizing the suitcases, DH and I decided to return to the lovely spot where I had my escargots.

It's on a street corner and so typically Paris, it just felt like the right thing to do. Besides, they had a happy hour.

We discovered that happy hour only applied to their cocktails (for which they seemed to be famous) and beer so we asked our waitress for some advice.

She recommended this one.

816578a3dc49df8a92853cba13d2391c.jpg

OMG, it was so good. I had to take a pic of the menu so that I can try to recreate it at home.

1b50a8e1b6b077534c90752adb727596.jpg

We enjoyed chatting with locals and one couple of tourists from Sweden.

As you can see, it was pretty cool still in Paris.

cdfd2b3c48cece0297e558252fccbe22.jpg

The following morning we were scheduled to fly out.

Just a word on our hotel, La Clef. I nipped down to get some coffee (yes, we had Nexpresso machines in our room, but I preferred their coffee machine downstairs).

The breakfast host saw me and commented I was up early. Told him we were catching a flight. So, he inquired "does this mean you will not be here for breakfast?" I replied, "sadly yes. We need to get a cab for the airport at 7:15".

He told me that breakfast would be complete in 10 minutes and to come down at 6:30 so we could get a bite. "But breakfast doesn't open until 7" I said, puzzled. He smiled and said "shhh - everything will be ready".

Now that, is service. We did go down and enjoyed a light bite before we headed to the airport thanks to his kind offer.

The buffet at La Clef is very nice with everything from boiled eggs (that you prepare yourself - just dip them in the simmering water), scrambled eggs, ham, fruits of all kind, yogurts, rice puddings, pastries, meats, cheeses, etc.

It was a very nice buffet. Here is a portion of it.

1e40ce2a338aecf2ccc3ebdabf828c3e.jpg

246929789fe23a2c7dfef9cc857fec2b.jpg

8b8631a868e9e306b28f5eb914d93c76.jpg

68a63d9a73fa068967a661a5c34eaa1f.jpg

94aed2bc93517f62ff0fbe3355eb562e.jpg

The thing in the middle is in the egg gadget. Fresh eggs were in the bowl and you simply put them in the hangers they had to go in the simmering water. Allow 7 - 9 minutes for a soft boiled egg. They even had egg cups!

89b1c00171b8f959142b63533e4ba834.jpg

We loved La Clef Louvre. The staff were very helpful, the location ideal, our room was fabulous with great toiletries too and the breakfast was delicious. It has earned kazu's endorsement for sure.

The hotel arranged a fixed price cab for us. We were to the airport easily with plenty of time to spare.

Charles de Gaulle airport is HUGE. OMG - HUGE, but well organized. Lots of helpful people to steer you in the right direction.

One thing of interest when we checked our bags. We were asked to show our carry ons then at check in. Apparently they make sure that people do not take excess carry ons. (YAY!).

We were flying biz class thanks to FF miles and our boarding passes were given the special label which meant we got priority through both passport control and security. Very quick and smooth.

We flew Air Canada (partly to get a direct flight to Toronto and partly for "security reasons"). Now, I am not usually a fan of A/C but I have to say that our flight attendants on this flight were fabulous and made the flight as pleasant as possible.

The food was even half way decent.

8479d4aadd145d9da35bb1a1a8266a24.jpg

afcb4ab7966ad1131bed29402ccfcb10.jpg

DH was enchanted with the red wine. I didn't think that the choices were as nice in the whites, but actually the Austrian was quite nice.

c8cef8d3f6ad47a1e6222e681cbfab3b.jpg

f9e164a5508808fcf0d2a54d674416da.jpg

a3ccc7adc123c8b551caa006d4202b58.jpg

We had a long layover in Toronto and were happy to be on our puddle hopper to get home. Our smooth ride ended with it though. It was a rough ride coming home. So turbulent that the flight attendant was instructed by the captain not to get out the cart to serve (not that we get much on the puddle hopper).

It seemed the rain had followed us and the rain was torrential with high winds. So we got a VERY rough 2 hour plane ride and a VERY wet welcome home.

But, home we were and it was time to come back to reality.

We had a great time overall.

I need to go back for my pics on the art on the Rotterdam so stay tuned and I will be back with the art tour and a few final comments on the cruise.

Thanks for your patience and following along.

Thank you so very much for such a wonderful review of your trip. Pictures were excellent and the commentary was very informative. You've done one of the best reviews EVER !!! I'm addicted to Cruise Critic and visit the site everyday.

Paul

St. Paul, MN

Providing the photos of the food you ordered as well as photos of the menus are as appreciated by me as all of your excellent photos of the sites you have visited. Thank you.

Looking forward to your photos of Rotterdam's art. Between Amsterdam and Rotterdam, in my opinion, Rotterdam has the better art. I still think she ought to be the one that does the Grand World Voyages.

Back to our last night in Paris...

After tackling the laundry and organizing the suitcases, DH and I decided to return to the lovely spot where I had my escargots.

It's on a street corner and so typically Paris, it just felt like the right thing to do. Besides, they had a happy hour.

We discovered that happy hour only applied to their cocktails (for which they seemed to be famous) and beer so we asked our waitress for some advice.

She recommended this one.

816578a3dc49df8a92853cba13d2391c.jpg

OMG, it was so good. I had to take a pic of the menu so that I can try to recreate it at home.

1b50a8e1b6b077534c90752adb727596.jpg

We enjoyed chatting with locals and one couple of tourists from Sweden.

As you can see, it was pretty cool still in Paris.

cdfd2b3c48cece0297e558252fccbe22.jpg

Hi Jacqui,

But you didn't tell us which cocktail she recommended!

Thank you so, so much for such an excellent and detailed journal of your cruise. What wonderful pictures!! Its was the perfect antidote for the Koningsdam cruise we had to cancel. Barb's treatment is complete and all is well. We're off on Tuesday for a brief 12 day makeup tour of Arizona and southern Utah in celebration.

I may get back to you about tour operator recommendations for our Oct. 19, 2017 30 day Prinsendam cruise. Wish you and Jose were going to be aboard.

Dan and Barb

Hi Jacqui,

But you didn't tell us which cocktail she recommended!

Thank you so, so much for such an excellent and detailed journal of your cruise. What wonderful pictures!! Its was the perfect antidote for the Koningsdam cruise we had to cancel. Barb's treatment is complete and all is well. We're off on Tuesday for a brief 12 day makeup tour of Arizona and southern Utah in celebration.

I may get back to you about tour operator recommendations for our Oct. 19, 2017 30 day Prinsendam cruise. Wish you and Jose were going to be aboard.

Dan and Barb

thanks Dan.

We had the Grey Mule.

Absolutely delicious. Rrefreshing, not too heavy and loved it.

Someone else is trying to lure us on your cruise but I can't fake FF miles for that one and next year's P'dam.

Feel free to e me any time for tour recommendations.

My tours were on my spreadsheet(s) and I was happy with most but I wouldn't book ACMS again.

The sights were great but it was not what I booked and what is worse, when I had the courtesy to share my concerns, they accused me of posting a review on trip advisor and called me things I will not repeat here.

they literally putthe blame onme for their faliure to deliver.

My reviews have not gone up on trip advisor yet. But they will.

Oops, a tiny vent. Apologies. Defintitely do the tour with Premier tours in Portugal, Daniel in Maderia, Ingrid in Monte Carlo, etc. The rest were all fabulous.

You're right I meant the Hermitage. Great photos & right up. We had so much rain I was thinking I'd have to start cutting down trees & build an ark. Welcome home.

Allan

Thanks again for the great review! Glad you are safely home. Paris is truly lovely. Good thing you are using up those Aeroplan points!

Not sure what the acronym is for the tour you didn't like? ACMS?

Not an acronym. The name of the tour company itself. ACMS tours.

I need to download DH's canon pics on his memory flash for the rest of the art tour. Nervous as I can't do it on the ipad where I have the option to keep pics.

Art tour tomorrow for sure - may be just my pics but hoping I can do DH's securely and safely without deleting the pics on his memory card. if I can, his pics will be included and I am sure, are much better and more comprehensive than mine :o

Kazu, you can buy a card reader for the iPad on a dongle (apple's word not mine) that plugs into the iPad where the lightening cord goes. Once you slide the memory card into the card reader you can copy, move, delete, etc. Actually kind of neat and I always carry mine if I am also using my camera.

Not an acronym. The name of the tour company itself. ACMS tours.

I need to download DH's canon pics on his memory flash for the rest of the art tour. Nervous as I can't do it on the ipad where I have the option to keep pics.

Art tour tomorrow for sure - may be just my pics but hoping I can do DH's securely and safely without deleting the pics on his memory card. if I can, his pics will be included and I am sure, are much better and more comprehensive than mine :o

Kazu, you can buy a card reader for the iPad on a dongle (apple's word not mine) that plugs into the iPad where the lightening cord goes. Once you slide the memory card into the card reader you can copy, move, delete, etc. Actually kind of neat and I always carry mine if I am also using my camera.

I have a card reader for my iPad, and use it religiously when I travel to back my pictures up every evening. I wouldn't leave home without it!

I took my Surface Pro to Europe with me, but backing up on the iPad worked so well I will probably leave the heavier device home on future trips.

139bdc5a713a79c1beda3d6c5b035772.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to you and Cindy.

I have the card reader for my Ipad and use it every day. It works great for my camera and DH's Olympus. The memory card for the Canon is larger and a "flash drive" (or something like that). It doesn't fit and Apple has not yet created a card reader for that size. It's a bigger type memory card and doesn't fit.

We asked here and at the Apple store in the U.S. And they advised Apple has not created it yet. "Sigh"

So, I am downloading them to my laptop which can handle the special size and then forwarding to my ipad so I can post them on tap a talk.

A bit of a PITA, but it will work.

We didn't get pics of everything on the Rotterdam, but we did take some areas and some art.

For me, this ship has some of the nicest art on any HAL ship. Some of the works on board date back centuries and BC.

So, here is a bit of a glimpse at some of the art on the Rotterdam and some of the public areas.

0af4308bd0b1a222a6c3de4498b983a3.jpg

242fd95387f12a0ceda3663dcfb0d6d0.jpg

This is under glass. It is very old and beautiful

69d4269e83a3ffe85471049bb820b955.jpg

5c75c9b077aa9969d3ed1d76dfbc81ee.jpg

c8b5103fe233f7dda839459b9c33f60b.jpg

a25a9f85b199166a5d110bcaf5bab82f.jpg

The Pinnacle Grill is really pretty, including the entrance.

a5fdd01cd7017cb7ea80fba273cd2bfd.jpg

10d6c72a9cea504b4e46200a70c7471f.jpg

5caacb65b347e67f789fe2f5c449b232.jpg

f3dc32c3213814475df79f565dcc6777.jpg

95d8605d100548c39f723fdb471b368e.jpg

The lights look like they are made of Venetian glass.

8825b17e87eeefa71418c349be2cc5ce.jpg

Now, back to the art....

2a84386da378ead8e445ac1ff5fc22a8.jpg

The forward staircase is laden with Captain Stephen Card's art. (Hope I didn't get my directions mixed up). Each staircase has it's own theme and they are all beautiful..

Pics I showed previously were a few from the mid staircase.

db1201725214fbc12b8c633abe680ccb.jpg

fc2f935dd03bbe6c29a15f3439449419.jpg

Art is throughout the ship on the main public areas.

a0189445b2217f8293dc6c3b178d116b.jpg

6ab29f530d75a3f0ade513bbcb03119c.jpg

The atrium on this ship is fabulous - I believe this is Atlas envisioned holding up the sky and earth.

791976b038fae4d643704147f983f06c.jpg

The top of the clock in the atrium

577e3f1fdcc046854a226dd005d83653.jpg

f300d44e6b5737f43ca8a43a99620180.jpg

288fd0f4f7a3d8642322091f734fe166.jpg

e5824523755d6f2d5ceb29871940a8de.jpg

54acd40eb83511bed7a810dc1f3d8261.jpg