* LIVE from the Rotterdam - 30 day Passage to Spain and Western Europe - Mar. 30th*

kazu

We did every garden there was in this place.

All the gardens tell a story. Basically, they are divided between the women and the men's.

The women's is more of soft mythology.

the men's is a powerful statement - mythology but Louis using it to say he could conquer you to keep his place as monarch.

Very revealing

In the days when this was Louis's, nobility were taken by carriage or carried. They didn't walk these gardens like we foolish people did. I think we walked and burned off every bite and glass of wine we would enjoy later but it was worth every single step!

We were able to catch the fountain display in the women's garden.

but there was also so much to see.

9cf6745ffc62a45c732d5f7913404d88.jpg

3454a603a6a61855b8af74a358677e93.jpg

0bc411c8292edc54c173c3b4b98511ab.jpg

This lake was hand made at the time. Looks are deceiving. It is 30 miles long.

997079a417b3ef43742125b075021017.jpg

2da1bc59644022b14afdd217d70f7d57.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fountains are run by the old system which used pressure to run them. In Louis's day they only ran for 5 minutes. Now, they can run for an hour but only an hour. So an hour in the morning and about and an hour and a half in the afternoon but only on certain days.

Sunday is a really good day to do this if anyone is planning on going.

b7cc9f4c26b2f9cdd7425bb2bd620fd8.jpg

86973a2b3c04723d22ef05f35d8dda76.jpg

88b4f5813b7e0be9be313315dc9ed2d2.jpg

2326aeb666e871e4f629068f1429a3db.jpg

283fc88d76c7653a12d1cae000d6159e.jpg

I have a ton more of Versailles. Need to charge my Ipad and keyboard so if anyone is bored now, just say so and I wlll stop. The place is amazing. The gardens are continuous and a word when we go into the chateau and, in fact for the gardens. If it looks like gold, it IS gold. That's how ostentatious but wondrously beautiful it is.

cheers from Paris!

I would like to see more of Versailles. We were to go there in Nov/15 but the first Paris terrorist attack happened the evening before and the authorities closed all of the museums and historical sites. One day, I hope to try again but in the meantime, I'd love to see it vicariously through your pictures.

Thank you for your very enjoyable thread. Some of your ports, we hope to do next year, and some we already did, like Rouen. I recommend going through the Gros Horloge (clock) Museum. We went right up to the top; the views were great. Coming down was a little dizzying as it was down a spiral staircase for several floors!

Oh Kazu, I am so sorry that the cruise on the Rotterdam has ended. I so loved those pictures.

But oh so happy your vacation continues...with the awesome pictures. Loving them. From the pictures, it looks as if you up very early for the arrival in Rotterdam.

I cannot wait to tell my tale from the Rotterdam. Thank you for all of your insights.

You can't stop now! That would be mean; and you are not mean. I know that for a fact.

Please let me see inside! I thing I will need to change my name to Lois and get a carriage to see the gardens....

Please don't stop now. We were supposed to be in Paris for my birthday in July but Europe had been called off. My dh had quadruple bypass in February so out of country insurance unavailable right now so I am travelling vicariously through your photos. Please continue.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive account of what appears a lovely cruise.

Between your good self and my good friend MaggieM, also on the cruise, I am of a mind to give Holland America a try.

Thanks again.

Richard

PS. we actually missed each other by not too many miles in Holland last week. I was concluding a Rhine river cruise on the Viking Eir in Amsterdam.

Wow you did score on your apartment! Very nice!

Love the city of Rotterdam, we sailed out of her on the Rotterdam.

Enjoy Paris, Versailles is one of the most beautiful places. Did you mean the lake is 3 miles long? We walked it and the grounds are huge!

Hope you get to the Marmottan and the Cluny museums.

Wow you did score on your apartment! Very nice!

Love the city of Rotterdam, we sailed out of her on the Rotterdam.

Enjoy Paris, Versailles is one of the most beautiful places. Did you mean the lake is 3 miles long? We walked it and the grounds are huge!

Hope you get to the Marmottan and the Cluny museums.

I just checked with DH and he is certain that the guide said that the lake was 30 miles long. The one behind all the fountains. She said it was deceiving in how it looked but it was very long.

Oh Kazu, I am so sorry that the cruise on the Rotterdam has ended. I so loved those pictures.

But oh so happy your vacation continues...with the awesome pictures. Loving them. From the pictures, it looks as if you up very early for the arrival in Rotterdam.

I cannot wait to tell my tale from the Rotterdam. Thank you for all of your insights.

We did arrive early in Rotterdam - around 5am we started up the river. We got there around 6:30 if memory serves. I was up early to see the arrival and sailing.

You can't stop now! That would be mean; and you are not mean. I know that for a fact.

Please let me see inside! I thing I will need to change my name to Lois and get a carriage to see the gardens....

LOL - a carriage is what was used in olden times or they were carried on those chairs with a servant holding an umbrella and another with ice to keep their drinks cold.

I need to do some more garden pics and I will take you inside after, I promise.

Thank you very much for your comprehensive account of what appears a lovely cruise.

Between your good self and my good friend MaggieM, also on the cruise, I am of a mind to give Holland America a try.

Thanks again.

Richard

PS. we actually missed each other by not too many miles in Holland last week. I was concluding a Rhine river cruise on the Viking Eir in Amsterdam.

What a coincidence on being in Holland at the same time.

Maggiemou was always smiling when I saw her. I think she had a good time ;)

Quick question about the Rotterdam, if I may. Have they installed any USB ports in the cabins?

None that I saw. I don't think the Rotterdam has had it's update though.

This is from our cabin, a Neptune Suite.

5800be6d371648679c58ec555b4fe575.jpg

I took a number of pics trying to get different aspects of the cabin and will be sending them up to the "site that can't be named" that has all the great HAL cruiser information later today during my connection time, with luck.

Someday, Kazu, I hope to cruise with you.:D You have so much fun on your trips! Your interest and enthusiasm for learning about the world around you, have made this thread, and your previous travel threads, a wonderful vicarious experience. I am extremely grateful for your generosity with both time and expense in providing menus, photos, and daily programs for our perusal.

What she said.

I started reading this thread to get an idea of what it's like on the Rotterdam, as we're sailing on her in two weeks (Norwegian Fjords). I stayed to the end, blown away by the photos and very appreciative of the menus and the dailies. The photos were so impressive and evocative that I'm considering for the first time visiting southern Europe, an area I'd never considered.

You invited questions about the ship; I have two.

1. You said you heard good things about the Lido Market buffet. Did you eat there yourself at all?

2. DW and I both dislike garlic, and I see it mentioned in an awful lot of MDR and PG dish descriptions. Did you happen to notice whether dishes on average were quite garlicky or only a little? I ask with some trepidation because some people love it so much and eat it so often that they honestly don't notice.

Thanks again for all your work.

Hi Kazu,

This is now my third attempt to write as my previous messages went into Cyberspace.

I would like to thank you for your great reviews and time and patience with the Internet onboard.

We are now back home on the Island of Cyprus after our fabulous time on the Rotterdam.

I have to say our experience onboard was the same as yours apart from the fact we were not in the Neptune suits. We dined in the same area of the dining room where we were, but more aft and had a window view of the beautiful sunsets. Our waiters were first class and the food outstanding. Although I am afraid I had to pass on a lot of it as I have food intolerance issues so ate from a special diet that was given to me the previous night. I can not eat onions garlic and spicy food so I was pretty bland but I got served some wonderful plain cooked fish dishes and lots of lovely vegetable cooked to perfection. Nothing was too much trouble for the chef and the wait staff.

We saw most of the sights you did although much of the time we did our own thing. The tours we took with Cruise Critic members were fabulous and we had great organized trips thanks to Rick and Joyce. thank you both.x

Our favourite yum yum boy who's name I can not spell. Surotino? was a delight and like you we ended up with a real animal farm of origami animals. He was so cute and clever.

The ship is lovely, a bit dark to the eye at first but I got used to the quirky decor. The gym is very good with excellent machines. Not old or worn out. Good fitness instructor.

I loved Stryker and we became drinking buddies in port a time or two. He was just an amazing guy and entertainer who I was shocked to see he smoked so much and had an amazing voice. He is very talented.

I found friendly people on the ship especially the first section when we had such a wide range of Nationalities onboard. Americans Canadians and the Aussie are always such fun people.

The ship has a real comfy feel about it and we did enjoy it.

I was worried it may be a bit too casual in the dress stakes as we tend to dress up for dinner. I need not have worried.

Gala night I wore my long dresses or beaded cocktail dresses. I was not alone nor was my husband in his tuxedo. We dined second sitting fixed dining and I found the guests in fixed dinner dressed up more. We chose a table for two for the first time ever. I liked this as when we were dressed up I never felt we were " overdone" as there was no one next to us were in more casual dress.

Our neighbours on nearby tables were a mix of dress codes but that was Ok by us as we did our own thing and it worked well as I did not mind who wore what once we had dined.

I did miss the buzz of pre dinner drinks in the bars on Gala nights, that were not well attended and on our usual cruise line, Cunard, people dress very formal and the pre dinner drinks time is always very atmospheric. However , that is a minor detail.

The cruise was very port intensive. We called at 18 different ports and it was quite hectic at times.

So much so with time changes etc many guest got tired and my favourite night spot BB Kings became less busy. I just adored BB Kings the singer was fantastic and my type of music. I went most night even had to dance on my own as my husband was not there but who cares, they were great and often the staff were there to dance with.

Salsa and Latin American some nights in Ocean bar. Plus we had a live show of flamenco dancers who came onboard when we were in Lisbon overnight and did a show that was standing room only in the Show Room at Sea.

I did not partake in cooking classes as I never cook won't cook and do not want to cook😄

I leave that to my other half. I did shop a lot in Spain as I have decided after many visits to Spain it has some fabulous clothes and shoes and accessories to buy.

After leaving the ship with more baggage than we arrived with, we boarded another ship, the SS Rotterdam V. She is the predecessor to the MS Rotterdam. She is now a museum and floating hotel in the harbour of her home port. It was an emotional visit for me as I started my cruise life working on this magnificent liner over 35 years ago.

We were checked in and were on deck to watch MS Rotterdam sail away from Rotterdam on her next voyage. The two ships sounded their whistles numerous times as the sail by took place.

We spent two day on my old ship and I did the tour and had a great guide who took me see places others never got too as I told him I had worked there. I could not remember where our beauty salon I had worked in had been. It turned out it is now a store room next to the main check in and our four cases were stored there all day before our check in. I felt very strange about this, and later discovered our room / cabin we had booked was a short walk from my old cabin. Weird feeling again.

SS Rotterdam is in really good shape and some rooms are immaculate and so beautiful after 58 years.

So my cruise down memory lane came to an end and we are now home with fond memories. Till the next time.

What she said.

I started reading this thread to get an idea of what it's like on the Rotterdam, as we're sailing on her in two weeks (Norwegian Fjords). I stayed to the end, blown away by the photos and very appreciative of the menus and the dailies. The photos were so impressive and evocative that I'm considering for the first time visiting southern Europe, an area I'd never considered.

1. You said you heard good things about the Lido Market buffet. Did you eat there yourself at all?

2. DW and I both dislike garlic, and I see it mentioned in an awful lot of MDR and PG dish descriptions. Did you happen to notice whether dishes on average were quite garlicky or only a little? I ask with some trepidation because some people love it so much and eat it so often that they honestly don't notice.

In reply to your last paragraph,

I may be able to help you.

I do not eat garlic or onions or very spicy food. I found a lot of the dishes were spiced up so I ate from the same menu, but my food was cooked without the added spices or garlic.

In the Lido at lunch time I had to chose very carefully. We could not dine in the main dining room as it was too early as it closed at 1-0pm.

So lunch we took later and I ended up having sushi most days or a hand made sandwich which I liked even though I never eat bread at home. One day I had haddock but could not eat it as it had garlic topping, so yes, I found the food too much garlic for me but overall the food was good.

If you have food intororances of any kind they can cater for you.

I was told by my waiter my food was cooked separately and they have one chef who just cooks meals for individuals who have food issues.

Sometimes I came off really well. When it was Dover Sole, mine came cooked different to the rest and I got a real large piece of Sole rather than a set sized piece.

I also had green steamed vegetables every night.

What she said.

Questions are always welcome and if I can answer I will.

For 1). Yes I did eat in the Lido, but what I ate was limited which is why I rely on others. I do things like salad bar, cheeses and sandwiches at lunch time. No hot meals for me, so for that, I have to rely on what other said.

2) I like a bit of garlic but, like you I don't like it overloaded. I believe a spice should add taste, not overload it (yes, kazu cooks too, LOL).

I really didn't find the garlic heavy at all except for, perhaps the caesar salad in the PG, but they asked we were happy to take it as is.

If garlic is an issue let your waiter know. You can always get your meals with "sauce on the side". (Stupid me, I kept forgetting to do that some nights). Then you can decide if you want the sauce or not.

There are only a couple of things I can't eat/cause issues and I found my waiters accommodating on day 1. No issue at all. I don't need an allergy allert or anything like that - just a couple of minor things which made the "made to order sandwiches" a big plus for me.

So I guess I am back to 1) they did have a couple of "premade" sandwiches that I could eat (and not tear apart) and they were much better than what I have had in the past. Much better selection and combinations too and the bread wasn't soggy!!! Amazing!!!

Oh, and I loved their sticky buns in the morning. I splurged now and then.

Hope this helps!

Hi Kazu,

This is now my third attempt to write as my previous messages went into Cyberspace.

I would like to thank you for your great reviews and time and patience with the Internet onboard.

We are now back home on the Island of Cyprus after our fabulous time on the Rotterdam.

I have to say our experience onboard was the same as yours apart from the fact we were not in the Neptune suits. We dined in the same area of the dining room where we were, but more aft and had a window view of the beautiful sunsets. Our waiters were first class and the food outstanding. Although I am afraid I had to pass on a lot of it as I have food intolerance issues so ate from a special diet that was given to me the previous night. I can not eat onions garlic and spicy food so I was pretty bland but I got served some wonderful plain cooked fish dishes and lots of lovely vegetable cooked to perfection. Nothing was too much trouble for the chef and the wait staff.

We saw most of the sights you did although much of the time we did our own thing. The tours we took with Cruise Critic members were fabulous and we had great organized trips thanks to Rick and Joyce. thank you both.x

Our favourite yum yum boy who's name I can not spell. Surotino? was a delight and like you we ended up with a real animal farm of origami animals. He was so cute and clever.

The ship is lovely, a bit dark to the eye at first but I got used to the quirky decor. The gym is very good with excellent machines. Not old or worn out. Good fitness instructor.

I loved Stryker and we became drinking buddies in port a time or two. He was just an amazing guy and entertainer who I was shocked to see he smoked so much and had an amazing voice. He is very talented.

I found friendly people on the ship especially the first section when we had such a wide range of Nationalities onboard. Americans Canadians and the Aussie are always such fun people.

The ship has a real comfy feel about it and we did enjoy it.

I was worried it may be a bit too casual in the dress stakes as we tend to dress up for dinner. I need not have worried.

Gala night I wore my long dresses or beaded cocktail dresses. I was not alone nor was my husband in his tuxedo. We dined second sitting fixed dining and I found the guests in fixed dinner dressed up more. We chose a table for two for the first time ever. I liked this as when we were dressed up I never felt we were " overdone" as there was no one next to us were in more casual dress.

Our neighbours on nearby tables were a mix of dress codes but that was Ok by us as we did our own thing and it worked well as I did not mind who wore what once we had dined.

I did miss the buzz of pre dinner drinks in the bars on Gala nights, that were not well attended and on our usual cruise line, Cunard, people dress very formal and the pre dinner drinks time is always very atmospheric. However , that is a minor detail.

The cruise was very port intensive. We called at 18 different ports and it was quite hectic at times.

So much so with time changes etc many guest got tired and my favourite night spot BB Kings became less busy. I just adored BB Kings the singer was fantastic and my type of music. I went most night even had to dance on my own as my husband was not there but who cares, they were great and often the staff were there to dance with.

Salsa and Latin American some nights in Ocean bar. Plus we had a live show of flamenco dancers who came onboard when we were in Lisbon overnight and did a show that was standing room only in the Show Room at Sea.

I did not partake in cooking classes as I never cook won't cook and do not want to cook😄

I leave that to my other half. I did shop a lot in Spain as I have decided after many visits to Spain it has some fabulous clothes and shoes and accessories to buy.

After leaving the ship with more baggage than we arrived with, we boarded another ship, the SS Rotterdam V. She is the predecessor to the MS Rotterdam. She is now a museum and floating hotel in the harbour of her home port. It was an emotional visit for me as I started my cruise life working on this magnificent liner over 35 years ago.

We were checked in and were on deck to watch MS Rotterdam sail away from Rotterdam on her next voyage. The two ships sounded their whistles numerous times as the sail by took place.

We spent two day on my old ship and I did the tour and had a great guide who took me see places others never got too as I told him I had worked there. I could not remember where our beauty salon I had worked in had been. It turned out it is now a store room next to the main check in and our four cases were stored there all day before our check in. I felt very strange about this, and later discovered our room / cabin we had booked was a short walk from my old cabin. Weird feeling again.

SS Rotterdam is in really good shape and some rooms are immaculate and so beautiful after 58 years.

So my cruise down memory lane came to an end and we are now home with fond memories. Till the next time.

Welcome home Maggie.

Glad you enjoyed your time on your old ship. I loved her too and enjoyed seeing her when we came into port.

I am LOL at your comment on Styker. I asked him about smoking and singing too. He said that lots of singers smoke and it only affects their voices if they smoke now and then and/or occasionally and not regularly. His words, not mine. He was a lot of fun and very sociable I thought.

We enjoyed the Latin music in the Ocean Bar too. Great minds think alike ;)

I would have loved to have been there for the Rotterdam sail a way. It must have been fun:)

Maybe we are talking about different lakes, but the grand canal is around 1.6 km. I walked it many years ago and it seemed a very long way then, lol!

Enjoy Paris!

For sure, it's two different ones. this one is in Versailles and was built for the king (but, what wasn't?).

It doesn't look long until you get down to it. It follows the 3 fountain pic.

No worries either way, we just had fun that day when we lucked out with a guide for just the two of us.

Really was worth the $ since we skipped the ticket line and most of the security line. OMG,that security line was at least 2 hours.

Plus we have a fabulous lady who enjoys history and all that goes with it (that makes two of us) and made it fun.

I will be posting my reviews on tripadivsor shortly. Not too hardto identify, just look for the 100 after my CC name;). Now, to see where I left off.

And now, back to the gardens of Versailles....

63c53218968c623bea225e6ea7bad773.jpg

bb2d4fd7bb1362f2df385afd7f05ed1e.jpg

So you are going to see three boring pictures of the same fountain. Why you ask? Because it moves to music and I tried desperately to catch it.

It goes in circles for some music, spurts for others, etc. Truly amazing and this was created centuries ago!!!!

But remember,back then they could only run them for 5 minutes as the pressure would run out that they so creatively made in the pipes. Now, they run them for an hour, but that's the max as it costs money.

7ad0a3d4f6af22898c8bf3f70b9e5d44.jpg

49146af19d5b4d8c36101adfad71ee67.jpg

5f37d9c36dfbc0787cec2ac65ec3ef4d.jpg

Appreciate you taking the time to write up about the Lido -- especially for lunch.

I had a horrible time on the Westerdam -- way too many spices and too much garlic.

When we had the Caesar salad in the PG -- we would share one (too much for me) -- we indicate -- no garlic. Joe handle a little and they love to use a ton.

For breakfast, each day Joe would have to remind our PG waiter that he wanted REAL eggs.