Specialty dining lunches?

betonic

We're getting ready to go on the Reflection Transatlantic and I'm trying to decide how many specialty meals to buy in advance. Obviously, the more you buy the better the value. If we were traveling alone we might go every night to a different speciality restaurant but we're traveling with another couple that will only go 4-5 times in a 16 night cruise. We will eat with them sometimes but not all the time.

Since we have so many sea days my question is how the pre paid specialty works for lunches. I want to get the best price but also don't want to lose any.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see the best value in the 4 meal package, it's only $16 more than 3.

I, personally though would NOT use one of those for a lunch. Instead if i was going to lunch I might shop for a discount at the door.....

At one time you could buy unlimited dining for $29 a day and it included lunch and dinner, but those are no longer available.

On Solstice last month they were discounting the Speciality lunches.

We had lunch in Tuscan Grille for $25.

Sushi on 5 was offering all-you-can-eat for $25 initially, and then it dropped to $20.

Justcrusn is correct...the 4 meal seems to be the package where the per meal price hits it's stride... subsequent meal packages don't seem to gain you much more off per meal (maybe a dollar or two). The best thing to do is to compute the per meal cost for each package as offered on your reservation planner and decide the best deal for you.

I purchased the 4 meal in advance for our cruise and plan to add to that as I can find deals on board.

I believe the main change on the new plans which offer any number of dinners - up to the number of days on your cruise - is that the specific restaurants you must eat at are no longer dictated - so you could eat all of the meals at Murano if you wanted (provided you can get reservations). Can anyone whose had one of the new packages on a recent sailing confirm this?

Thanks!

It likely does not make sense (financially) to use the prepaid package meals for luncheons...since the price of the luncheons is much less then the normal dinner price. However, you may (or may not) be able to get a discount for a luncheon by simply asking. Last fall, while on the Eclipse, our Murano waiter asked us if we were interested in going to a sea day luncheon in Murano and quoted us a price that included a discount. We did go to that luncheon and it was really wonderful. One of the mains was a decent lobster tail, which had been put under a broiler (as compared to the usual boiling) which helped give it wonderful texture and flavor. They also had a string duo (2 violins) playing in Murano during that lunch...which helped make it very special. We found it interesting that Murano luncheon was never advertised on the ship (never saw anything in the daily schedules). The only way to know would have been if you had previously dined in Murano and had it mentioned by your waiter....or if you had asked!

Hank

On our last Solstice cruise they also offered a 'progressive' lunch which I believe was a starter from one speciality, main meal from another and desert from the third..never tried it but may be worth investigating as an alternative....

On the Solstice, we negotiated prices with the people who were outside the buffet pushing the specialty restaurants almost every day. Paid $15 each at beginning of cruise and only $10 each(twice) near the end. Business must have been slow. Keep in mind, it's a limited menu. We ate at the Tuscan Grill.

Off Equinox in February and did the 4 meal package. 2 times Silk Harvest, 1 Tuscan, 1 Murano. Love them all BUT in my opinion, we also did Murano's lunch for $25. pp and loved it more than the dinner. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Pat C

On the dailies it will list if any specialty restaurant is open for lunch. This generally happens only on sea days. The price is generally half the price of dinner in the same restaurant and the menu is a lunch menu. Some of the same items but not all, and perhaps smaller portions.

You can just call the dining number on your cabin phone and make a reservation. Alternately, you can inquire at the restaurant entrance or from the dining person that tends to hover about during the embarkation process. The prices everyone above has mentioned are not special discounts and what you can expect. I don't know if they will offer any additional discount.

You might ask, if you could substitute two lunches for one dinner on a dining package, although I don't gthink hat will fly. However, it couldn't hurt to ask.

We had lunch in Murano for $30.. We order lobster and asked if we could split the filet. They brought use each both. The lobster and filet were better and larger than the evening meal. Choices were limited but we would do it again. Service was outstanding. One of the best lobster and filet we had on Celebrity.

I believe the main change on the new plans which offer any number of dinners - up to the number of days on your cruise - is that the specific restaurants you must eat at are no longer dictated - so you could eat all of the meals at Murano if you wanted (provided you can get reservations). Can anyone whose had one of the new packages on a recent sailing confirm this?

Thanks!

Correct, we had 14 consecutive nights in Murano - cost $24/pp/pn