Dress Code: Casual vs Smart Casual??

Can someone help me with the guidelines for Men's dress code? I thought in the MDR there was smart casual and formal. What is the difference between smart casual and dress casual?

Thanks!;p

Here is the cruise line's suggestion:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Note that the cruise line does not enforce any dress suggestions, so you can wear whatever you want.

It basically comes down to whatever the man is comfortable with out in public in the evening. About the only enforced rule in the evenings is no shorts and no flip flops (and obviously you can't go shirt less). Outside from that I've seen men wearing khakis or jeans or dockers or formal pants.

It basically comes down to whatever the man is comfortable with out in public in the evening. About the only enforced rule in the evenings is no shorts and no flip flops (and obviously you can't go shirt less). Outside from that I've seen men wearing khakis or jeans or dockers or formal pants.

Check out the link above, looks like RC has given up on the no shorts thing.

Can someone help me with the guidelines for Men's dress code? I thought in the MDR there was smart casual and formal. What is the difference between smart casual and dress casual?

Thanks!;p

You make it what you want to make of it.

Direct from Royal...shorts are now included in suggested attire on casual nights.:D

Casual: You’re on vacation – relax! Jeans, shorts, tees, tank tops, polos, sundresses and blouses are all the right amount of laid back. Please keep swimwear to the Pool Deck.

So...this pretty much ought to eliminate the discussion on here about jeans & shorts...right? [emoji15]

Ha! Remember, this is Cruise Critic. Plus, it appears there still is a no shorts preference for formal night, so there is still something for people to whine about.

Great update. Glad Royal is catering to what people want. We all know there is always going to be that schmuck in a tuxedo t-shirt and gym shorts, nothing you can do about them so not worth it to penalize the other thousands of people.

Usually just the first night of a cruise is casual, correct? They don't add other casual dinners to an itinerary do they? I would assume standard for a 7 night cruise would be one casual (first night), 2 formal, and 4 smart casual?

That is a big change from previous wording. Personally, I wish they would still discourage tank tops. Not that I really care how anyone else looks but I do think they present some issues with being unsanitary in a food venue.

Usually just the first night of a cruise is casual, correct? They don't add other casual dinners to an itinerary do they? I would assume standard for a 7 night cruise would be one casual (first night), 2 formal, and 4 smart casual?

I haven't seen the wording "smart casual" in a long time, to be honest. I wonder if they use it on longer sailings??

On a seven night cruise usually there are two formal nights, one smart casual (if they have one at all), and the rest are casual.

LOL! I needed that laugh! Wow...well, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised with the way things have been going. I preferred the smart casual. I never liked formal night, but I just never went.

Does this mean specialty restaurants are now casual too? I think I'm still going to stick to my smart casual attire. Just doesn't feel right. We'll see if I stick out like a sore thumb though LOL!

That is a big change from previous wording. Personally, I wish they would still discourage tank tops. Not that I really care how anyone else looks but I do think they present some issues with being unsanitary in a food venue.

I think any wording is unlikely to be relevant as long as they don't enforce what they ask for.