Just off Freedom - Some thoughts on beverage package.

skohrs

We just returned from Freedom of the Seas yesterday morning. We did not do the beverage package because I don't want the pressure of feeling like I need to drink a certain amount to "get me money's worth" each day. I feel like if I pay as I go, I would likely not go over the price of the drink package, even if I drink whenever I want without worrying about the cost; and even if I do go over, it wouldn't be by much. I certainly understand why others do buy the package and it works for them. Others in my cruise party did purchase the drink package and I am sure they got their money's worth.

My thoughts on the beverage package is not about whether it is worth the money or not. Obviously, that is a very individual thing. Rather, I wonder if anyone else has noticed what I did about beverage service since the drink packages have increased in popularity and are being pushed by RCCL. It seems to me like the beverage service has declined in quality since the drink packages have emerged. It used to be that while sitting by the pool, the beverage staff were always coming around asking if we needed any drinks. They also seemed to always be carrying around a tray full of the "drink of the day" to purchase. You never had to go to the bar to get a drink at the pool or at a show unless you wanted to do so (perhaps so you can see a bartender you have been tipping well to get a better pour). Now it seems like they are rarely circulating with drinks for sale on their tray while at the pool. They also do not really come up (at least not as often) to ask if you want a drink while at the pool or at a show. Don't get me wrong. It is not difficult to get a drink when you need one. There are bars everywhere, and there are still beverage servers circulating that you can wave down. It just seems like now that a large number of people who drink seem to have a beverage package, it is in RCCL's best financial interest to provide as few drinks as possible, so they don't push the beverage sales like they used to do. They still happily serve you and don't discourage you from using your beverage package, but they don't go that extra mile like they used to do.

I am sure that some people are happy with that change based on the number of complaints people on CC have with the constant selling of specialty restaurants, drink packages the first couple days, watches, art auctions, t-shirts, etc. Many would rather not be "bothered" while relaxing at the pool or at a show. I actually don't mind saying I'm not interested when I am not interested, and I enjoy the service being available if I do want to purchase a drink.

I also feel like the drinks for the most part were not as strong as they were before the drink packages, but that could just be my perception. It does make sense though. If someone prepaid for unlimited drinks and RCCL can serve them each just a little less alcohol per drink, it really adds up for them. They will still make them stronger for you using your drink package if you ask (my BIL always ordered a Patron Margarita with an extra shot of Patron and it was covered under his package), but if you don't have a drink package your drink will not be as strong as before unless you pay extra for an extra shot.

Has anyone else noticed these changes, or is it just me being a cynic?

We've noticed that there appear to be fewer bar servers on board. On some ships, on a sunny sea day at the pool, it can take quite a while to get a drink at the pool bar.

We've noticed that there appear to be fewer bar servers on board. On some ships, on a sunny sea day at the pool, it can take quite a while to get a drink at the pool bar.

Normally never had a problem getting drinks except for the pool bar, will have drink package for 5th time in a row at end of April, since we like a couple of glasses of sine with lunch and dinner and a few other times we save money on this package ( only time that it was questionable was Europe)

Just my opinion but I think the pool deck servers began to disappear long before the drink packages came out. We've been sailing Royal for about 20 years and I recall singing and rhyming waiters roaming the deck with full trays or spinning their empty ones. On the flip side, I remember some incessant complainers here on CC about servers bothering them while they tried to relax by the pool. I really don't think the bar 'service' has changed much since the drink packages but you won't find me standing in line waiting for a drink at the pool bar either. There are to many other bars to be caught hanging around at just one.

I have also noticed the lack of bar servers not only by the pool but also on the inside venues. Don't know if the beverage packages are the cause but it does seem like they have disappeared around the time the beverage packages started to appear

I have also noticed the lack of bar servers not only by the pool but also on the inside venues. Don't know if the beverage packages are the cause but it does seem like they have disappeared around the time the beverage packages started to appear

We know some people in management well enough for them to tell us that the bar staff is being reduced.

We know some people in management well enough for them to tell us that the bar staff is being reduced.

It makes sense for RC to have less barstaff now most people have prepaid already for the drinks as they have made their money and don't want to make it easier for you to get a drink.

I still give an extra tip if someone brings my drink to the table but not if i am doing their job by getting my own drink from a bar.

love sailing with RCCL

On our recent cruise on the Allure, my wife and I noticed that there were more bar servers walking the upper pool deck than I had thought would be. There were also those pushing the carts with beers as well, although not as common. We did also notice the servers selling the DOD in the plastic cups w/ covers. I did notice that the number of bartenders was smaller than in the past. Regarding the strength of drinks, some bars/bartenders use a jigger to pour, some use a free pour. Some drinks were certainly stronger than others. Perhaps it depends on who the supervisor was at each bar? Either way, we had the drink package and enjoyed a wide variety of cocktails during our trip. For me, it was worth it. For my wife, it wouldn't be worth it and I do appreciate not having the requirement to purchase the package for both occupants of the cabin.

When I first started cruising, there were flags you could flip up on the pool loungers to show you needed a waiter!

How cool is that?

Awesome. If only it still happened. Maybe you'd need to launch a firework rocket in this day and age though...