Cabin 'spreadsheet'

wowpeople

Actually, I saw the idea as serving exactly that purpose - a central, collated collection of all the small details, pros and cons of each suite shared over time on this forum. From the brochure/website, it does appear that all suites within the same category are the same and yet, we know (and you've just confirmed) that they are different. Rather than keep asking the same questions over and again, it seems to be perfectly sensible to have it all in a single place, where it can be updated as and when needed.

(y) Exactly right

As rallydave previously explained the suites would be identified by their suite number, not by classification. This would give the information that a prospective cruiser would be looking for e.g. I am thinking of booking and have a choice of suite numbers xxx, yyy or zzz; so I go onto the spreadsheet to see if there are any positive or negative comments for each of the suites available to assist me in my choice

As with seatguru, positive & negative comments could all be accommodated and as long as a date was appended the reader could ascertain how up-to-date each comment might be (e.g. pre or post refurbishment)

I do think having this information in one place would be very useful; even if spreadsheets are not prepared, having the information as a series of posts on stickies would make searching for specific info much easier than at present

From what I've observed, there are many questions about suite sizes which could not be answered by only giving suite number information. However, IMO, knowing which suites not to book would be helpful and the list much smaller. If people know if they are in a suite on the smaller our larger end, it would be helpful but even I do not know that ( but my TA does).

Really want to thank Gilly and flossie009 for their supportive comments and better descriptions of what I was trying to say and have added additional information below including a link to the Azamara spreadsheet and copy of how the Azamara spreadsheet began. Of course changes to suit Regent are welcome; only trying to provide a starting point from a spreadsheet that has been useful for over 4 years now.

By the way, there is a new post today asking about 752, the spread sheet would be perfect to answer that question. Since the OP acknowledged that the Azamara spreadsheet what what he/she was looking for, have pasted below the initial post in that sticky that set up the format for the eventual spread sheet. Also posted the link to the actual spread sheet so if people choose to develop this spread sheet for Regent, they can simply use that pdf as a starting point for the Regent spread sheet. To clarify, the spread sheet would start with only the suite numbers being filled in and additional information would come from the Regent posters providing their view of their booked suite. Multiple posts regarding a single suite would simply go below the previous information.

No right or wrong information and the keeper of the spread sheet would post on the spread sheet all information from the other posters with no editing thus the people viewing the spread sheet would need to make their own evaluation of conflicting information. Really hope people will volunteer to develop the blank spreadsheet for Regent which could then be used for each of the current Regent ships as well as future ships.

In the spirit of moving forward, I would like to offer to help with some information on this board and maybe if it works, Andy would be happy to make a sticky out of the thread

On the Celebrity board, there is a very useful spreadsheet kept up to date by one of the cruisers where others can search for information on a cabin. Here on Azamara, we have to try and search and trawl for information and I am offering to create and maintain with say forthnightly updates a similar spreadsheet.

For it to work, everyone has to post information in a consistent way and also only use the thread to post information, not to engage in debate (pop over to the Celebrity board if you want to see more on how it works)

For Azamara, I would suggest the information should be

Cabin Number

Ship

Month/Year sailed

Would you choose this room again Y/N

Is noise an issue Y/N

Balcony size Normal/Larger/Smaller

Any other comments (keeping these succinct so the spreadsheet does not grow too much)

How do others feel about this - if you think we do not need it here, please say, I will not be offended!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=394674&d=1474406382

Edited by rallydave

I think this is a great idea. Like Gilly, however, it's way above my ability. As for the categories of information, I think information on vibration would be helpful. Also, information regarding which suites on the Explorer currently have the "whistling" doors would be very helpful, but I'm assuming that issue will eventually be resolved. So (stream of consciousness here - sorry), could there possibly be a way to delete information that later becomes irrelevant?

There is always a way to delete information. IMHO best to leave all comments as posted to maintain an unbiased information. As situations change new posters should comment on the lack of say whistling. Maintaining all the comments provided a history of issues, parade, etc along with each commenters comments. Allowing the keeper of the spread sheet to edit comments could change the writers meaning and also makes the keepers job more time consuming. Believe simply copying and pasting will be best

Thanks for your positive comments

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How would someone know if their balcony is normal/larger/smaller? On the Explorer, for instance, an F1 suite has a balcony size from 83 to 115 sq. ft., but a F2 suite has a balcony size from 83 - 132 sq. ft.

Getting to the suite size, the Seven Seas Suites range from 577 - 665 sq. ft., (with balconies from 166 - 237 sq. ft.). The Grand Suite really has a range -854 - 1,013 sq. ft. Even the Master Suites (all originally Master Suites) have a range..... suites from 1,064 - 1,114 sq. ft. with balconies from 831 - 994 sq. ft.

IMO, everyone would love to know which are the largest suites in their category.

While information about noise and whether you would book (as well as suite category as this is most important - a suite category choice could be made by looking at the comments - listed by suite number) would be helpful. I wonder if Host Dan could start a sticky that could always be open for editing. We would need a heading for each ship and posters could simply put their suite number (in suite number order) and make comments about their suite.

P.S. Gilly, my point about TA's was that they know "facts" - not only opinions. I would always ask my TA first (to learn actual suite size), would look at the deck plan to insure that I am not above or below anything that could be disturbing and lastly would check a spreadsheet or listing.

I'm a bit more skeptical about opinions of posters simply because they are subjective. The best recent example is Explorer Category "G" suites. Our TA recommends against them (strongly) but most of her clients are repeat Regent customers. However, people new to Regent found the size of the suites to be fine. So, one person in suite #xxx thinks that the suite is wonderful, another person in the same suite may find it unacceptable. I suppose that getting the most input as possible is the best thing.

I look at negative and positive comments on CC the same way that I look at them on Trip Advisor. If the majority of the posters say the same basic thing about a hotel, I would tend to believe it. However if a couple of posts are considerably worse or better than the "average" post, I would tend to negate it.

There is always a way to delete information. IMHO best to leave all comments as posted to maintain an unbiased information. As situations change new posters should comment on the lack of say whistling. Maintaining all the comments provided a history of issues, parade, etc along with each commenters comments. Allowing the keeper of the spread sheet to edit comments could change the writers meaning and also makes the keepers job more time consuming. Believe simply copying and pasting will be best

Thanks for your positive comments

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think your suggestions are great. We have sailed Celebrity on occasion and found using the 2 stickies at the top of the Celebrity forum that give information on the M and S class ship cabins very useful. As well i have seen the spreadsheet that you alluded to and it is very informative. I think i have the skills to set up the spreadsheet and maintain it but right now i don't have the time. I have returned to work on a part-time basis and couldn't fit it in. Maybe in the future that could happen if someone else doesn't step up.

Maintaining it will be the big issue but it's nice that you would be willing to set it up. As indicated above, a major part of this for many posters would be learning the suite sizes. Secondly would be information on category. I can see posters looking, for instance, for a category F1 and by reading the list or spreadsheet perhaps finding an F2 in a better position (or one that is good and still has availability). Certainly noise would be important and any other comments a poster would want to share.

It will likely take a while for a spread sheet for four ships (1,320 suites) to fill up but if someone is willing to keep it up, it would be great. The only upcoming refurbishment would be the Mariner and it is unlikely that suite categories will change (nor will the noise, etc.) IMO, the Explorer is the biggest challenge.

The site below could be more useful to many people than the regent site. It will show you what is above and below much better than regent's site. Also in the CC site under reviews, people have been leaving reviews of cabins. I would agree with Travelcat, some of the information is not useful. For example: the balcony was nice and big. If you have never had a balcony before - anything may appear to be nice and big! ;)

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com

I think the actual suite/balcony sizes are less critical than issues such as tender/anchor noise, vibration, proximity to loud areas, under the pool deck/public space, adjoining crew passage, that sort of thing. Granted, you can glean a lot of that from reading the deck plans, but there are often things about which you can't be sure from the diagrams. Tangible items like actual bathroom configuration, whether there's a tub or shower or both, storage issues...that would be very helpful, I think.

Rather than a spreadsheet, maybe it could be done in threads, starting with the cruise line at the top level, then the ship, then the deck, then the actual suite or cabin. People who have occupied that cabin could post notes after they sail.

+1 Bill actual sizes are the last thing anybody is going to post. The would need to bring their own tape measures and then measure all the nooks a crannies and doubt that is going to happen. The sizes listed on the Regent website are good enough for the vast majority of people, probably 95% or more. Also, categories are really unnecessary as they are only names and again 95% + don't care what their category is called, they want to know the rest of the great list you provided. Don't believe idea about putting the information in threads will work too well. With a spread sheet, simple to search for a suite number while searching in a thread is more difficult plus in a thread, one would need to look at all the posts with that suite number while in the spread sheet, additional comments go in the cell for that suite just below the previous one, much easier. The spread sheet approach has been proven for both Azamara and Celebrity but, feel free to figure out your thread process and see if that is better. Hope you looked at the link I provided to see how it currently works. Any and all improvements are very welcome. Thanks for the thoughts Bill.

+1 Bill actual sizes are the last thing anybody is going to post. The would need to bring their own tape measures and then measure all the nooks a crannies and doubt that is going to happen. The sizes listed on the Regent website are good enough for the vast majority of people, probably 95% or more. Also, categories are really unnecessary as they are only names and again 95% + don't care what their category is called, they want to know the rest of the great list you provided. Don't believe idea about putting the information in threads will work too well. With a spread sheet, simple to search for a suite number while searching in a thread is more difficult plus in a thread, one would need to look at all the posts with that suite number while in the spread sheet, additional comments go in the cell for that suite just below the previous one, much easier. The spread sheet approach has been proven for both Azamara and Celebrity but, feel free to figure out your thread process and see if that is better. Hope you looked at the link I provided to see how it currently works. Any and all improvements are very welcome. Thanks for the thoughts Bill.

Strongly disagree with some of your points:

1. The Regent website gives only the size range of the suites (as I posted above). I cannot imagine any Regent cruiser not caring about which suites are larger (and which have 1 bath vs. 1 1/2 - specifically speaking of Explorer Seven Seas Suites).

2. I believe that 100% of Regent cruisers do care about the category of the suite. Besides for the amenities, who would not care about the price of each suite? However, if reviews of "G" suites, for instance, are not good, one may decide to choose an "F" suite and would seek information. Again, availability is so important (especially on Explorer) as the suites sell out so quickly.

While what Celebrity or Azamara does is not a factor in any of this, I do think that having an area to make comments on specific suites is a good idea. Whether it is a spreadsheet or a listing that can be edited (and kept in suite # order), it can be relatively easy to find the suite # that you are seeking.

Bill, on the other hand, I strongly agree with you. A simple listing is easiest (as long as it can be edited). Rather than limiting information on a spreadsheet, a poster can post as much or as little information as they choose to. I have no doubt that Regent customers can keep the suite numbers in suite # order (even if the list has to be cut and pasted numerous times).

In the best scenario, someone would learn the square footage of each suite and balcony and post it along with other information. For instance, prior to the recent changes in suite categories on Explorer, I had a list of which Seven Seas Suites had 1 1/2 bathrooms vs. Seven Seas Suites with only 1 bathroom. IMO, posters that are onboard Regent ships and can ask questions will learn the most. As said earlier, I am guilty of not knowing where our Master Suite stands in terms of size.

I do thank rallydave for his input - especially since he hasn't sailed on Regent in several years. Perhaps by the time you return to Regent all of the suites will have all of the information that your Azamara spreadsheet has. That would be a good thing:D

Hahahahaha! Dave, I work in IT - so why would you expect me to look at an existing solution before I submit my recommendation?!? 😜

Spreadsheet, threads, whatever - I just think it would be helpful to have a source to further research a cabin before you book. I'd rather have too much info than not enough.

See, now you're gonna make me go look at the other spreadsheets. It's making my evening feel more like work - thanks a lot, man...

Hahahahaha! Dave, I work in IT - so why would you expect me to look at an existing solution before I submit my recommendation?!? 😜

Spreadsheet, threads, whatever - I just think it would be helpful to have a source to further research a cabin before you book. I'd rather have too much info than not enough.

See, now you're gonna make me go look at the other spreadsheets. It's making my evening feel more like work - thanks a lot, man...

I think you should be concentrating on your cruise:evilsmile: BTW, I wasn't thinking of separate threads -- perhaps one thread per ship with posters inserting the information on their suite (in suite order).

How about something like this?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10W5muq7MV_j3ESZVXFGapu9JDMjVtVijTQnuxHWu11s

One spreadsheet for each ship, a tab for each deck, new lines inserted when new reviews are received? Pretty easy to maintain; we could post a quick review template and just paste it in the appropriate spreadsheet/tab.

Thoughts?

Bill,

Looks like a good plan (y)

Perhaps add a column to indicate whether the suite has a tub, shower, both or a tub-shower combo

A couple of suggestions (maybe to be added as guidelines with each spreadsheet)

1. Comments column (H) to include positive points, as well as negative
  2. Reviews to be brief
  3. All reviews to be respected by others without challenge; we don't want the relevant threads to turn into endless arguments about whose opinion is more valuable than another

Thanks for your work on preparing the dummy spreadsheet :)

Great job Bill. Knew a spread sheet for each ship was the way to go. Sure there will be tweaks to improve the spread sheets as times go by as nothing is perfect especially at the beginning of a new project. Do have a question, can anybody access a google spread sheet without having a google account?? Know that one has to have a google login to make any changes and hoping you aren't planning on opening the spreadsheet to everyone's ability to change the cells. Knew using posts in a thread was a non-starter and that the spread sheet was a fairly easy thing to develop especially for an IT Professional. Thanks Bill!!

Bill,

Looks like a good plan (y)

Perhaps add a column to indicate whether the suite has a tub, shower, both or a tub-shower combo

A couple of suggestions (maybe to be added as guidelines with each spreadsheet)

1. Comments column (H) to include positive points, as well as negative
  2. Reviews to be brief
  3. All reviews to be respected by others without challenge; we don't want the relevant threads to turn into endless arguments about whose opinion is more valuable than another

Thanks for your work on preparing the dummy spreadsheet :)

While I agree with your point #1 I would hope that this will not become a rule* oriented spreadsheet. No one is going to argue but there will likely be differences of opinion of the same suite. For instance, if I were to review suite #1200 on Explorer I would mention the noise issue (from two difference sources). The next reviewer may find no noise -- perhaps the noise issue was fixed (hopefully) or perhaps the noise didn't bother that person. The same could be said about vibration on the Navigator - some don't mind it and others hate it. While there will not be arguments, there could be wildly different opinions.

On this particular cruise, two out of three passengers do not think that the PH suite closets are large enough and have other issues as well. One passenger loves the PH suite. As mentioned previously, when you read several opinions of the same suite, you'll likely see a trend. It is the trend that I will believe rather than the individual poster.

*If people read CC rules, many of the discussions that you see turn bad would lessen 99%!

Good feedback, thanks. I know I had wanted to add the tub/shower column, don't know how I forgot it as that's a major point of contention for some folks.

I'd planned on having one person (me, for now) be in charge of updates and I'd also imagined posting ALL reviews, good, bad, or ugly to let people make up their own minds.

Dave, I'll need to double check permissions, but I believe anyone can view the google sheets, but editing is restricted. Will probably need to work out how to post/update - I suppose I could set up an email account for people to send me their inputs and I'll post them. The devil is always in the details, huh?

Flossie - re your comment below: "Thanks for your work on preparing the dummy spreadsheet clear.png?emoji-smile-1742" - thank YOU for not transposing those last two words!!

Gotta get back to work - I'll work on some of the details when I get home this evening.

For what it's worth....we're currently on the Explorer and in midship Suite 647 (E) it's great with the larger bumped out balcony including 2 chairs, table and chaise lounge. We've also stayed in 732 and 735 (F's) and love the F cabins ! The concierge and F1 and F2 are all the same. The only difference in the suite itself is the concierge E cabins have the Nespresso machine (which we're using daily) and binoculars. We actually prefer not having a butler....no need for us.

We're traveling with a large group and many couples we're with have a G cabin near by. They definitely have smaller floor space, bathroom and closet space but still doable from what I'm hearing. Definitely only 1 person at a time in the bathroom (and no tub if that's important) . I'd rather have a G than not be able to cruise at all on this beautiful ship. JMO.

Okay, made some changes to the format and did Navigator (she's smaller, so she's easier).

Open to any and all feedback. Thanks!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jy2NhyKkzQM4oyngp-JbpppC34s4etCYLnCbOOGcXiE/edit?usp=sharing

(I'm sure we can add an actual name to the link but I don't feel like looking at that right now.)