Changes at Uniworld

caviargal

If your definition of all inclusive is "well, everything" there will be no such cruise line in existence.

If all you read in a 30 page brochure are the words " all inclusive without reading how that term is defined, you will be disappointed by every cruise line

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That wasn't my definition that is Uniworlds definition.

I just want to remind people that one of the OPs original complaints is that for 2018 port charges are not included. By any stretch of the imagination not including port charges in your brochure price is somewhat deceptive, because this has nothing to do with choice as to excursions or extra cost drinks or alternative dining.

The great thing to me is, we all have choices, and lots of them.

If you want to wear shorts 24/7, including dinner on the boat, there are lines that allow it. For others, there are lines that don't.

If you are an equalitarian purist and want total all inclusive with no options. There are lines for you. For those of us that don't demand such purity, nor need lunch money, there are lines for us.

If you live the Akea modern look, and want your cabin to look just like your home, There are lines for you. If you prefer your cruise to put a bit more pizazz into the ship than you have at home, there are ships for you.

If you had rather tip as you go, as you like, there are lines for you. If you want that taken care of up front, yep there are lines for you.

I could go on and on, but the message is clear, We Have Options! If you don't like any line for any reason, then the last thing so want to do is convince you to try it. Choose the option that best fits you and spend accordingly!

Thank heavens we have options, and we have lines that cater to different travelers with different likes and dislikes!

My one and only plea is to not get on the wrong ship and then make every one listen to you complain because you choose the wrong line!

I agree with gnome12 on the port charges issue. I have stated it earlier in the thread. I believe it was in extreme poor taste of Uniworld not not include those costs in the published prices.

Fwiw, by law, if a line charges port fees separately, and any of the published ports are missed for any reason, then the cruise line must rebate the proportional dock fees back to the cruiser. If such fees are included in the general fare, they are not obligated to do so. For the port fee add on for my booked 2018 cruise, it seems it would be a larger pain to be force to account for any rebates, than to include those fees upfront. Don't understand Uniworld's logic in that decision .

There are no port charges on our 2018 Egypt itinerary. Maybe that is a function of Egypt? It's my first time booking an itinerary on the Nile.

I think it is a function of Egypt, just like gratuities are not included there. I'm still considering the Nile, myself.

Robin

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with gnome12 on the port charges issue. I have stated it earlier in the thread. I believe it was in extreme poor taste of Uniworld not not include those costs in the published prices.

Fwiw, by law, if a line charges port fees separately, and any of the published ports are missed for any reason, then the cruise line must rebate the proportional dock fees back to the cruiser. If such fees are included in the general fare, they are not obligated to do so. For the port fee add on for my booked 2018 cruise, it seems it would be a larger pain to be force to account for any rebates, than to include those fees upfront. Don't understand Uniworld's logic in that decision .

So given this, the separate itemization of port charges works to the customer's benefit. Improves the product, no?

So given this, the separate itemization of port charges works to the customer's benefit. Improves the product, no?

... bit of a reach to describe hidden and unavoidable costs as a 'product improvement' :)

If something isn't optional then it needs to be in the displayed price...

... bit of a reach to describe hidden and unavoidable costs as a 'product improvement' :)

If something isn't optional then it needs to be in the displayed price...

You pay these costs one way or another. Either they are buried in the base fee or added on later. I guess after 14 cruises, i am used to the fact that there are port charges and it is a more common practice to show them as a line item on the invoice. The new policy which allows for refunding of charges if a port is missed is a more transparent one and is absolutely an improvement.

I have read several threads on various forums about port charges, usually with great expectation of getting a meaningful amount of money refunded. Then it always turns out that the charge for each port is only a few dollars (single digits) -- so the paperwork of refunding it probably costs the cruise line more than the charges themselves. And any increase in general overhead always translates into higher prices across the board. So I would rather have port charges and taxes rolled into the advertised fare.

We were on the River Queen from Amsterdam to Basel April 22-May 3. The only upcharges were for three excursions which were added. Had I wanted these "extras" which were not listed as possibilities when reviewing the cruise details, they would have been valuable. Since we had already done one of the "extras" and were planning to do another on our own after the cruise, these did not appeal to us. Nor did the third "extra".

To our way of thinking, this was an all-inclusive cruise as wine, drinks, etc. were available at times other than meals, tips were included for all tours and for ship's personnel.

To me it was obvious that unless you have a huge staff at the spa, there is no way a cruise could offer daily massages to every passenger, allow partaking of "upper level" alcohol be included without raising the prices substantially. To me, all-inclusive includes no tips, alcohol at times other than meals, and at least a choice of excursions on each day.

The River Queen is an older ship without the possibility of a second restaurant. For me, the breakfasts and lunches were superb. The five-star dinners didn't always have items with which I was familiar--I don't normally dine in five-star restaurants.

We are cruising On the River Queen the end of August. This will be our third Uniworld trip. The other ships were newer but we wanted to cruise this itinerary.. we are in cat. 3 but hopefully maybe get an upgrade as Heritage Club members. What was your favorite port? My husband looking forward to Trier and WW2,memorials..This will be our longest cruise and we are very excited to be cruising Moselle. Cruised Rhine a few years ago..

I actually really liked my cat 3 room on the River Queen. The bed was right at the waterline, and the windows were large so I had a nice view from bed. It helps that I didn't have to share my room with anyone.

If course it was April so I probably wouldn't have wanted to sit on a balcony.

I would occasionally wake up before sunrise, put on a robe, and go up on the sun deck to take pictures.