Changes at Uniworld

caviargal

I have no problem calling it all inclusive. Breakfast lunch and dinner every day are included. Tours every day are included. Gratuities and drinks are included. You can have a first class experience without any extra charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We can agree to disagree. Either you are all inclusive (as is Scenic) or you are not. IMO, there is no middle ground when a line differentiates itself by advertising it is all inclusive.

There were 4 excursions at an extra charge on our cruise (27-157E per person) and the specialty dining at 95E per person.

On our longest day (12 hours) Uniworld did not even provide a boxed lunch. Rather, they left us in a very small town for 90 minutes and said we could find sandwiches in various places around town. Not even a bottle of water offered until 4pm when they offered their metal water bottles to people on the bus.

By contrast, Avalon and AMA both provide lunch for guests on the long day visiting the beaches. And they are not "all inclusive".

I found it all very interesting.

We can agree to disagree. Either you are all inclusive (as is Scenic) or you are not. IMO, there is no middle ground when a line differentiates itself by advertising it is all inclusive.

There were 4 excursions at an extra charge on our cruise (27-157E per person) and the specialty dining at 95E per person.

On our longest day (12 hours) Uniworld did not even provide a boxed lunch. Rather, they left us in a very small town for 90 minutes and said we could find sandwiches in various places around town. Not even a bottle of water offered until 4pm when they offered their metal water bottles to people on the bus.

By contrast, Avalon and AMA both provide lunch for guests on the long day visiting the beaches. And they are not "all inclusive".

I found it all very interesting.

Where do you draw the line? Should $300 per bottle wines be included in an " all inclusive"? Or maybe they should not stock luxury wines - that way they can meet your definition of all inclusive by giving you all the moderate price wine you want, but no option to buy up for a special occasion . Are massages included no charge? I will take one every afternoon - how many masseurs will you need?

I did not want to go the Remy Martin excursion - should the cruise line build it into my rate even if I did not go?

Yes there is a lot of middle ground. There is a reasonable definition of "all inclusive" that still allows for some customization.

Responding to above thread. We are cruising Uniworld in August ...Rhine and Moselle. This will be our third Uniworld trip. I don't remember paying for an extra gourmet dinner. I do remember on the SS Antoinette making reservations for a special Chef dinner no charge. Is this a new policy? Is it a specific itinerary? We will be on the River Queen will this be an option.. Our last Uniworld cruise we departed paying absoutely nothing everything included..:)

With Uniworld no one is forcing you to upgrade and pay for any options and you can have a first rate experience without spending anything additional. But all the options should be clearly outlined before you book the cruise. I am surprised at the long day without lunch, however. That doesn't seem right.

I think If Tauck didn't have a planned lunch then they would actuallly give everyone money to buy their own.

With Uniworld no one is forcing you to upgrade and pay for any options and you can have a first rate experience without spending anything additional. But all the options should be clearly outlined before you book the cruise. I am surprised at the long day without lunch, however. That doesn't seem right.

I think If Tauck didn't have a planned lunch then they would actuallly give everyone money to buy their own.

Yes. That is what they do

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In all of its advertising, Uniworld clearly states which meals are provided each day. On some days, they do allow their guests to wander through out the towns and eat, or not, in different restaurants of their choice. Many of us like that system. We enjoy eating authentic local cuisine, or not, of our choosing. Likewise, we're not expecting lunch money from mommy Tauck or some one size fits all box lunch to either carry around or have to troop back to the bus to pick up! Some cruisers don't define "all inclusive " as being babysat 24/7 and our little bottoms powdered after we go poo.

As as example, I hated in on Viking when they would do a morning tour, in some Cities , load everyone back up on the bus to take them back to the boat for a two hour lunch, then load everyone back on the bus to travel back to the City Center for more tours. I would ask the guide where to meet the group after lunch and enjoy a great meal in the town and meet up later after I learned the drill.

If one doesn't like any adventure or like to think, perhaps Uniworld isn't the best choice for them!

If you like the system they why complain so vehemently?

No one is "babysitting" anyone on tauck or other all inclusive lines.

You can be as independent as you choose to be. Tour independently, dine when and where you choose. The main difference is that nothing is extra (except laundry or salon services). We do not care for all inclusive on ocean cruises as we do private tours and are not drinkers, but we like the idea on a river cruise

We are open to trying uniworld or AMA but we know that there are extras

Where do you draw the line? Should $300 per bottle wines be included in an " all inclusive"? Or maybe they should not stock luxury wines - that way they can meet your definition of all inclusive by giving you all the moderate price wine you want, but no option to buy up for a special occasion . Are massages included no charge? I will take one every afternoon - how many masseurs will you need?

I did not want to go the Remy Martin excursion - should the cruise line build it into my rate even if I did not go?

Yes there is a lot of middle ground. There is a reasonable definition of "all inclusive" that still allows for some customization.

Besides the included gratuities there is nothing "all inclusive" compared to other lines. For an uninformed consumer this can be misleading.

Besides the included gratuities there is nothing "all inclusive" compared to other lines. For an uninformed consumer this can be misleading.

There are a few more things, that other lines don't include. Beverages, not limited to wine/beer/soft drinks at lunch and dinner only, and transfers, if done on embarkation and debarkation days. In 2017, it also included port fees. In 2018, it doesn't.

But, I agree, all-inclusive is misleading. Tauck, Scenic, and ?Crystal seem to be the "true" all-inclusives.

Robin

I will agree that I believe port fees should be included in the listed price and not as an extra charge. I believe that was a poor decision by Uniworld. It is part of the cost of the cruise and should be included.

All of their beverages are included except for a very few expensive items. I agree that they should be extra and available for those that so which to imbibe.

I never understood being charged for a meal, I wasn't going to get, then giving me some lunch money later! How about not charging me to start with and neither of us worry about lunch money! I certainly don't want a box lunch anytime! If s box lunch is part of someone's definition of all inclusive we will agree to disagree!

I don't think any of the all inclusive river lines use box lunches. If there's caviar in the box lunch might be ok. Think seabourn

The important thing is to be an educated consumer. Know what's included and what's not so that when you choose your cruise you won't have any unpleasant surprises (and get angry)

Several years ago a cc member posted a spread sheet she used to compare river cruises. It was fabulous. Covered everything. You could see at a glance what was optional/included. I will try to find and post.

In all of its advertising, Uniworld clearly states which meals are provided each day. On some days, they do allow their guests to wander through out the towns and eat, or not, in different restaurants of their choice. Many of us like that system. We enjoy eating authentic local cuisine, or not, of our choosing. Likewise, we're not expecting lunch money from mommy Tauck or some one size fits all box lunch to either carry around or have to troop back to the bus to pick up! Some cruisers don't define "all inclusive " as being babysat 24/7 and our little bottoms powdered after we go poo.

As as example, I hated in on Viking when they would do a morning tour, in some Cities , load everyone back up on the bus to take them back to the boat for a two hour lunch, then load everyone back on the bus to travel back to the City Center for more tours. I would ask the guide where to meet the group after lunch and enjoy a great meal in the town and meet up later after I learned the drill.

If one doesn't like any adventure or like to think, perhaps Uniworld isn't the best choice for them!

Wow, that is certainly an extreme generalization, IMO. And quite snarky as well.

We are independent and often DIY. We neither need nor want someone powdering our bottoms. Instead of what Uniworld was offering on the full day in Paris, we asked for recommendations from our excellent Concierge and CM and jumped on an early train out of town for the day. We are hardly the types to need mommy.

We have lunch in town whenever the opportunity presents itself; dinner as well when we are somewhere that appeals to us. We stay in port as long as we can and grab a taxi back. We certainly do not need our hands held and that was not the purpose of my message.

For those used to other Uniworld ships, like the Catherine, there is no included upscale dining venue. On the JDV it is now a charge. Some may care about and some may not, and those who do not can exercise their prerogative to ignore this thread.

My point about the long day - for those interested - is that we were taken to quite a dumpy little town that had very little to offer in the way of food or anything else. MANY commented that they would have much preferred having that extra time at Omaha or Juno, where time was very constrained, and not bothered wasting 90 minutes of the day on a sandwich and toilet stop. A box lunch would have been efficient and welcomed so we could maximize our time seeing what many of us came to see. Should you take this trip, you may feel the same...or not. Whatever.

Not sure Crystal can be considered all inclusive if the consensus is Uniworld isn't. They have quite a few more tours with an upcharge and I think a dining experience with an upcharge as well as higher grade beverages. Airport, hotel transfers? Included or not?

Not sure Crystal can be considered all inclusive if the consensus is Uniworld isn't. They have quite a few more tours with an upcharge and I think a dining experience with an upcharge as well as higher grade beverages. Airport, hotel transfers? Included or not?

Tricky isn't it? We all seem to have our own version of what is considered acceptable.

For us, we have no problem with an upcharge for exceptionally expensive tours as long as the included ones are still great.

Similarly, as long as high grade beverages are included I have no problem with a charge for even higher grade products.

In those two cases it really makes sense to me to do this as the only practical alternative is to increase prices overall or not offer the opportunity at all which would be a shame.

The dining side of things bothers us though. Limiting reservations to one per cabin for example seems like a much better way of handling this if there is a desire to offer a more select option.

Uniworld was all inclusive for my purposes - my only charge was for some postcard stamps. I didn't think their advertising was misleading at all.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

"For your purposes"? Were there optional tours or meals offered with an upcharge on your sailing? It is easy to be pleased if you were not affected by the uncharges.

There was an optional evening concert in Vienna. Not important to me, but even if it was, it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. It wouldn't have caused me to seek out another cruise line. My needs were met with what was included.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

The information I received beforehand for my Uniworld cruises indicated there were 1-2 included tours at each port stop. Uniworld delivered on what they told me beforehand.

Roz

Can someone please tell me what is included on the "all inclusive" lines that is not included on Uniworld?

We were on Uniworld last week. There were a few additional charged events we had no interest in doing even if free. If these were eliminated would that make Uniworld "all inclusive"? Maybe it would, but it would not change me experience? Except for those who would not have been able to do ( for a fee) the Remy Martin tour and tasting. For them the cruise would have been less excellent.

We will often buy a bottle of good wine on a trip to celebrate a special evening. If Uniworld stopped offering it, would that make the "all inclusive" doubters happy? It would not make me happy. Or could I afford a cruise if $150 bottles of wine are poured every meal as part of an "all inclusive" cruise? I doubt it

Do these truly "all inclusive" lines offer massages? How many masseuses do they have on board? They better have many because I will schedule them once a day. If they don't offer it at all, even for a price, I guess that would make them all incusive" in some twisted logic.

We were on Uniworld last week. There were a few additional charged events we had no interest in doing even if free. If these were eliminated would that make Uniworld "all inclusive"? Maybe it would, but it would not change me experience? Except for those who would not have been able to do ( for a fee) the Remy Martin tour and tasting. For them the cruise would have been less excellent.

We will often buy a bottle of good wine on a trip to celebrate a special evening. If Uniworld stopped offering it, would that make the "all inclusive" doubters happy? It would not make me happy. Or could I afford a cruise if $150 bottles of wine are poured every meal as part of an "all inclusive" cruise? I doubt it

As I posted earlier, you have to figure this out for yourself and then don't worry about what other people think.

There are the extremists (often Australian for some reason :D) who seem to believe that unless there is not even an opportunity to spend extra for something then it is not really 'all-inclusive'.

You need to figure out where the 'bar' is for you.

Our comfort level is pretty much what Regent offer on their ocean cruises:

• FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions
  • FREE Luxury Hotel Package in Concierge Suites and Higher
  • FREE Specialty Restaurants
  • FREE Unlimited Beverages Including Fine Wines and Premium Spirits
  • FREE Open Bars and Lounges PLUS
    In-Suite Mini-bar Replenished Daily
  • FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities

Regent however are not all-inclusive for the purists.

There are excursions you can pay for which typically involve helicopter flights, fine dining ashore etc.

There are wines & spirits you can choose to purchase but they are typically those that are over $100 so there is still plenty on the list that is both free and excellent.

There are however no charges for the speciality dining options on board and that is one of the key points for us.

You just have to figure out what works for you and get used to the fact that others may not agree, but does that really matter... ?

Scratch uniworld off our list. I am determined to find a cruise line that Is all inclusive.

I was ready to book. Frustrating.

Tauck would seem to be the obvious choice if your personal definition of 'all-inclusive' is at the more extreme end of the scale.

Tauck would seem to be the obvious choice if your personal definition of 'all-inclusive' is at the more extreme end of the scale.

Can you tell me what Tauck includes that Uniworld does not?

Can you tell me what Tauck includes that Uniworld does not?

Essentially, no paid options.

No dining up-charges no extra tours at extra cost, no special wines/spirits etc. at additional cost...

I'm not suggesting that this is what I want, but it does seem to appeal to some people.