Unfair to Solo Cruisers on Holland America

42CruiseCrazy

It's a secret. The company will not share any details about how it decides who to issue PIN codes to. Then again I've been doing this for years and years and years and as far as I know they've never lost a lawsuit about it.

If I had to guess they are able somehow to determine the pattern of how people have spent money with them in the past and figured which ones are likely to come back of their own accord, and those folks don't get PIN codes, and which folks are likely not to return without a real incentive, and those folks do get PIN codes.

Disney has gotten in trouble in the EU (their pricing law is tighter than the US)

http://wtvr.com/2015/07/29/disneyland-paris-ticket-prices-europe/

I fail to see how solo cabins have anything to do with the OP not getting the full $100 OBC. He did not book a solo cabin and the OBC was not attached to a solo cabin; he paid the the full rate [double] for a standard cabin that had $100 OBC attached to it but HAL did not give him the full amount. Sure, it there may be a legal way for them to do this based on the T&C for the offer and if they state it is per person, but that also it not being disputed. From a good will and pleasant customer service experience, I personally feel HAL should have given him the full amount, just as their sister lines ,Cunard and Princess, do for the same situation.

I quite like HAL and think they offer a wonderful cruise experience. Even if the OP's situation happened to me I would likely still sail with HAL since I know that I like their product. That is not to say I wouldn't be annoyed by it, or even complain about it.

I also don't think a "thank you" is in order for HAL providing solo cabins. This was done because they know there is a market share for them and they thought it would be a good business decision; it was not done as a "favor" to solo cruisers.

Well said. Thank you for expressing my thoughts and feelings so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did CC turn into a legal forum? it seems that pleadings are appearing in every other thread these days. Enough This is a cruise forum, not a Bar Association Bring all the briefs to the court room please. Thanks if you choose to consider this suggestion. It's enough with all the law lectures IMO

People complain why cruise lines do certain things. Sometimes economics, regulations and laws impact why they behave the way that they do.

Of course we could all stick to opinions without any foundation.

Well said. Thank you for expressing my thoughts and feelings so well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also agree with CruiseCrazy as I mentioned above. HAL had this empty space and there were few choices how to make it revnue producin.g. makes for a good something to put in their ads to persuade solos tothink they had us most generously in mind No t. So. Those solo cabins on Kdam come very close to being insulting IMO>

People complain why cruise lines do certain things. Sometimes economics, regulations and laws impact why they behave the way that they do.

Many of the law briefs have gone from conversation and thoughtful response to being law lectures IMO TOO many, too often. I come here for a cruise forum. :D Not for a legal lecture. Converation is quite different.:

Don't you know that if an opinion is written on the internet, it's a fact? How dare anyone try to "lecture" an opinion with facts. ;)

I also agree with CruiseCrazy as I mentioned above. HAL had this empty space and there were few choices how to make it revnue producin.g. makes for a good something to put in their ads to persuade solos tothink they had us most generously in mind No t. So. Those solo cabins on Kdam come very close to being insulting IMO>

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but my own is very different. I've traveled solo for a good many years now and I am accustomed to the smaller, rear-facing hotel rooms designated as "single" rooms in Europe, and to the (generally) inside cabins on cruise ships that are usually the only ones where solos might get a bit of a price break (e.g., only 160% or 175% instead of 200%) on the mass market lines.

HAL could just as easily have taken the space and made these into basic two-person cabins by changing the configuration a bit. Instead they made solo cabins. Not everyone finds it insulting to have an option that's at least somewhat more affordable, as a solo.... For solos who, like me, consider a cabin as a place to lay one's head and keep one's belongings primarily, it may be well appreciated.

Personally, I cruise for the ports and would rather take 3 European trips annually in "steerage" cabins and 3 star hotels than one "blowout" trip. Others who are very into having a big spacious cabin, balcony, concierge, etc will have a different view.

It's great that their are some choices for everyone, and it's a wise person who remembers that it's better to choose the best available option than to refuse a reasonable option and miss out.

I also don't think a "thank you" is in order for HAL providing solo cabins. This was done because they know there is a market share for them and they thought it would be a good business decision; it was not done as a "favor" to solo cruisers.
I agree that no "thank you" is needed for a service provider capitalizing on opportunities. However, I doubt they did it because of any overwhelming market share to be had as a result, but rather because they can make better use of these nooks and crannies in the ship by turning them into really small clos^H^H^H^Hsolo cabins rather than whatever other use they would have put them to (storage perhaps?)

I also agree with CruiseCrazy as I mentioned above. HAL had this empty space and there were few choices how to make it revnue producin.g.
I agree.

Disney has gotten in trouble in the EU (their pricing law is tighter than the US)

And that may be why they only offer these PIN codes for trips to Walt Disney World and Disneyland.

Precisely. The best way to keep economics, regulations and laws, and marketing, sales, operations management, etc., out of the thread is to not bring up anything that involves those matters.

Leading to the inanely juvenile playground idiocy of measuring of who's is bigger than who's. No thanks. I prefer facts and reality to such nonsense.

I'm not talking about the single supplement of 100%. I understand and except that. I'm talking about the onboard credit that is "per cabin" except if you are solo and then HA feels they can cut it in half even though Solos are paying full price for the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree, I think you should be able to get the full on board credit. Now I need to go back and see what my travel agent offered me as I will be doing the same.

The Opening Post of this thread was about whether a solo cruiser Who is paying a 100% single supplement should receive the full per cabin OBC that is advertised by HAL. Getting back to that subject, there is a happy ending. As some on this thread suggested I emailed HAL and my TA made telephone inquiries. After several emails back-and-forth with no satisfactory response from HAL (I'm not sure how the TA's experience went) I had given up. I just received an email from my TA that HAL will come through with the OBC. It took a lot of time and effort but finally someone at HAL decided that it's in the Cruise Line's interest to make the customer happy. For me, it was a matter of fairness, not so much the $50 and I'm glad they did the right thing.

It took a lot of time and effort but finally someone at HAL decided that it's in the Cruise Line's interest to make the customer happy.
To make you, specifically, happy. That is super. They haven't changed their policy, though, and so folks finding themselves in your situation in the future now have a roadmap for time and effort necessary to get guest recovery compensation.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

"To make you, specifically, happy. That is super. They haven't changed their policy, though, and so folks finding themselves in your situation in the future now have a roadmap for time and effort necessary to get guest recovery."

I do not know if the policy remains but would like to think that it is being reconsidered. After all the time and effort on HAL's part dealing with this "complaint" they should rethink their strategy. Being fair to your customers is more valuable to attracting and retaining business than glossy advertisements.

As you saw earlier in the thread, not everyone agrees with you about your assessment of fairness. Without a change in policy we can conclude that the cruise line agrees. Time will tell.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

As you saw earlier in the thread, not everyone agrees with you about your assessment of fairness. Without a change in policy we can conclude that the cruise line agrees. Time will tell.

Yes, you're right. Some people did think HAL was justified to reduce the onboard credit to be more profitable. Since one passenger may not spend as much as two. I understand that. I want HAL to be profitable,also, which is why I provided them with feedback about a policy that creates customer dissatisfaction and negatively impacts on their business. The extra $50 OBC cost HAL about $10 but hopefully, if they are willing to listen, HAL has gained customer feedback that will be far more valuable.

Yes, you're right. Some people did think HAL was justified to reduce the onboard credit to be more profitable. Since one passenger may not spend as much as two. I understand that. I want HAL to be profitable,also, which is why I provided them with feedback about a policy that creates customer dissatisfaction and negatively impacts on their business. The extra $50 OBC cost HAL about $10 but hopefully, if they are willing to listen, HAL has gained customer feedback that will be far more valuable.

I would not use the term make more money as much as lose less. The revenue from a single cabin on average is 13% less then the same cabin occupied with two people. Considering the cruise lines net income is only 9%. Too many singles would sink a cruise line.

Actually the discussions about the economics were not about wanting them to make more money. Only background on why solos get charged what they do.

Most of the people were pointing out that the terms for the OBC was per person and not per cabin and as such they were delivering what the T&C's for the booking required.

The Opening Post of this thread was about whether a solo cruiser Who is paying a 100% single supplement should receive the full per cabin OBC that is advertised by HAL. Getting back to that subject, there is a happy ending. As some on this thread suggested I emailed HAL and my TA made telephone inquiries. After several emails back-and-forth with no satisfactory response from HAL (I'm not sure how the TA's experience went) I had given up. I just received an email from my TA that HAL will come through with the OBC. It took a lot of time and effort but finally someone at HAL decided that it's in the Cruise Line's interest to make the customer happy. For me, it was a matter of fairness, not so much the $50 and I'm glad they did the right thing.

I'm so happy it worked out for you and HAL did what I consider to be the right thing! Let's hope they take this bit of feedback and put it towards good use for future solo passengers [and bring themselves in line with their sister lines].

As I've stated before, I hope this snafu does not taint your view of your cruise as a whole. HAL truly does offer a wonderful product and the onboard crew is terrific. Have a great trip!!!

I'm so happy it worked out for you and HAL did what I consider to be the right thing! Let's hope they take this bit of feedback and put it towards good use for future solo passengers [and bring themselves in line with their sister lines].

As I've stated before, I hope this snafu does not taint your view of your cruise as a whole. HAL truly does offer a wonderful product and the onboard crew is terrific. Have a great trip!!!

Not tainted at all! I am really looking forward to this cruise and experiencing Holland America. I have heard lots of good things about HAL from friends who are crazy cruisers like me. Even if I didn't get the extra OBC, which I didn't think I would, it would never stop me from enjoying the cruise.

I'm happy your TA went to bat for you and was succcessful. Congrats. havv a great cruise. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I'm so glad that worked out!!!

After several emails back-and-forth with no satisfactory response from HAL (I'm not sure how the TA's experience went) I had given up. I just received an email from my TA that HAL will come through with the OBC. It took a lot of time and effort but finally someone at HAL decided that it's in the Cruise Line's interest to make the customer happy. For me, it was a matter of fairness, not so much the $50 and I'm glad they did the right thing.

There is always a problem when the fares are raised because of a promo being added like Explore 4. In this case, in addition to paying the single supplement, only a single promo package is given. For example, say the cabin is $1,000 each. Then Explore 4 is added and HAL raises the price to $1,500 each. Normally you would think that the promo package is costing $500 per passenger. Because the solo person only gets one promo package, the extra cost to her is $1,000. This is not fair to the solo passenger.

An interesting point. But consider that if you book through some of the better Cruise Agencies they can often quote you a much lower price (then the one you see on HAL's site) without the Promo perks. We once posted an amusing HAL story that happened to us when we booked a 36 day Transpacific cruise on the Oosterdam. Our original price (for 2 persons) included the HAL drink package and some other minor perks. A few weeks later our cruise agency e-mailed us that we might want to take another look at that cruise as they could get us the same cabin (same booking number) for about $10,000 less....if we simply gave up the drink package. In raw number we were paying $139 per passenger day for a drink package! Or course we had the cruise repriced at the lower rate.

Hank

An interesting point. But consider that if you book through some of the better Cruise Agencies they can often quote you a much lower price (then the one you see on HAL's site) without the Promo perks. We once posted an amusing HAL story that happened to us when we booked a 36 day Transpacific cruise on the Oosterdam. Our original price (for 2 persons) included the HAL drink package and some other minor perks. A few weeks later our cruise agency e-mailed us that we might want to take another look at that cruise as they could get us the same cabin (same booking number) for about $10,000 less....if we simply gave up the drink package. In raw number we were paying $139 per passenger day for a drink package! Or course we had the cruise repriced at the lower rate.

Hank

Our TA has been able to get us a great price in exchange for giving up a promo that included the drinks package. As she is fond of saying, "You pay for that stuff." If the difference is small, we take the promo. If the difference is large, we skip the promo.

• 2 months later...

I agree with a lot of what has been said here, and I'm sure HAL wants to get as many doubles onto their ship as possible. However, given the demographics of who cruises on HAL ships, I think it's simply wishful thinking that they can force people to keep paying the single supplement forever.

Earlier this year I booked on Silversea because their single supplement is as low as 25% on many of their cruises. Yesterday, I booked a cruise onboard NCL which I never thought I would do, solely because HAL's price for a similar cruise required paying 100% single supplement, and NCL waives single supplement if they suspect the cruise might not sell out completely. As much as I would prefer to have booked on HAL, I can't turn down a waived single supplement.

One item which would actually tip the scales a tiny bit for me personally, is how Princess gives you double cruise day credit if you book as a single and pay the single supplement. It takes a little bit of the sting out of paying 100% single supplement when I know I'm earning double cruise day credit. Why doesn't HAL try offering that to single guests?