Unfair to Solo Cruisers on Holland America

42CruiseCrazy

You are wrong and here is why.

Cruiselines get about 70% of their income from fares and 30% from on board spend. So when you look at a cabin when two passengers book and the fare is X, the anticipated total revenue is (2X fares + 2(.42X) on board spend) = 2.84X. Now with a solo fare in the cabin you get X fare + X (single supplement) +.42X =

2.42X. So on average the cruise lines loses 42% of a fare in potential income for the solo cabin.

So even with the 100% solo supplement, and the reduced OBC the cruise line still loses out compared to if they sold the same cabin to 2 people.

Of course this varies by cruise line and the fare to on board spend varies to some degree between cruise lines, but the impact on cruise line income by solo cruisers is pretty consistent across the main stream lines (the lowest ratio on onboard spend I have seen reported in public files lately is around 24%, the highest 34%).

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I don't disagree with you. However, as a solo living in a Noah's Ark world, I have gotten used to being treated unfairly on many fronts.

Venn has made an excellent point, though. If the OBC is truly "per cabin", then you should get the full cabin allotment. Double check the promo, though. I have found that charges are "per cabin" and credits are "per person". Even when I had Explore 4, I only got one 15-drinks per day allowance. ;p

I'm also always solo. And you know what really bothers me? I only get one chocolate next to my towel animal every night. I'll bet that bothers you too :):):).

Seriously, what really bothers me is that HAL is one of the lines that doesn't allow double Mariner points for us. Many other lines do. Interestingly, one of those that does award double loyalty points is Princess, also a CCL subsidiary. Can't figure that one out.

RDC1 he's very good at numbercrunching and makes intelligent and a precise evaluation of the cost benefit ratio of Solo cruisers versus couples and families. I agree with with you. I look at this in terms of customer service and goodwill. The $50 additional onboard credit would cost HA about $10. And refusing it cost them very much more in Goodwill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seeing I will be solo in my suite, I want to mention a few variables as pertain to me. I just learned that though it is prior to final payment date, the price of my cruise increased about $1,000. HAL did not increase my fare. Also.Ii was speaking with my frtiend who is s ailing with me but in her own cabin. We both like a bit of wine but drink a different 'grape. Not a big deal and I;m more than happy to share with her whatever she would like. We decided we will each buy a bottle, and leave it. We';ll drink what w do of it and that way will each have the wine we want. So,,, NOT all of us solo buy a glass vs a bottle. We likely will have a bottle to drink from in MDR and perhaps leave one at one of the bars for before dinner. :D The bartenders proba bly will be fine about hold ing it for us.

I submit there will be lots ofd couples who share a cabin who will not order a single bottle of wine the whole cruise. In this c ase, we will be buying two bottles whereas when with my DH, we usually had one bottle per night. and didn't always finish that. The generalizations and flat statements about 'averages; often are profoundly inaccurate.

Edited by sail7seas

If the OBC is truly offered "PER CABIN" call your TA or HAL back. In a couple of instances I was able to receive the full OBC because it was PER CABIN. Other times, I have gotten the "per passenger" amount because it was offered as "per PASSENGER". IF the offer is per cabin, and you get told you can't have it all, request that it be escalated to a supervisor or manager.

I agree. I am not a solo cruiser, but if a promo says the OBC is "per cabin" and you have paid double occupancy for that cabin, then the full OBC should be applied. As to HAL expecting couples to spend more than singles - no, that's definitely not always the case.

I'm also always solo. And you know what really bothers me? I only get one chocolate next to my towel animal every night. I'll bet that bothers you too :):):).

Not at all. I get more than one pillow chocolate. :D

I cruise solo most of the time. I tend to be able to get the "2nd persons" credit if I ask for a supervisor. That being said, I only do this if I am truly paying double. With HAL I tend to always pay less than 200% so I am OK not getting the 2nd on board credit or the double mariner points. I would much rather save money.

On princess, In contrast, I get the double loyalty credits but I ALWAYS pay 200% and have never gotten a deal. It costs me way more money to cruise with princess which is why I tend to sail with HAL

I cruise solo most of the time. I tend to be able to get the "2nd persons" credit if I ask for a supervisor. That being said, I only do this if I am truly paying double. With HAL I tend to always pay less than 200% so I am OK not getting the 2nd on board credit or the double mariner points. I would much rather save money.

On princess, In contrast, I get the double loyalty credits but I ALWAYS pay 200% and have never gotten a deal. It costs me way more money to cruise with princess which is why I tend to sail with HAL

I am paying double for this cruise. Not a penny less. I can afford to lose the $50 on my OBC (perhaps not as much as HA can afford the $10 it would cost them to be fair and reasonable). Thank you, everyone, for your input. It's interesting to note that there are people on both sides. My view is that it pays off for a cruise line to be generous with onboard credits. It costs them so little and creates goodwill and happy customers. Being my first cruise on Holland America this incident (minor as it may be) did not create a good first impression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, what really bothers me is that HAL is one of the lines that doesn't allow double Mariner points for us. Many other lines do. Interestingly, one of those that does award double loyalty points is Princess, also a CCL subsidiary. Can't figure that one out.

Re only one chocolate on Ruth's pillow----I think you just struck a nerve.:D

You have to consider lost retail revenue opportunity rather than lost wholesale costs. The uncomfortable truth is that HAL may not want singles at all because it is simply bad for business, especially with their smaller ships.

The bottom line is that HAL requires a certain revenue per cabin to stay in business. It is not personal (as you are taking it), and any "discrimination" is the reality of the cruise business.

igraf

I am paying double for this cruise. Not a penny less. I can afford to lose the $50 on my OBC (perhaps not as much as HA can afford the $10 it would cost them to be fair and reasonable). Thank you, everyone, for your input. It's interesting to note that there are people on both sides. My view is that it pays off for a cruise line to be generous with onboard credits. It costs them so little and creates goodwill and happy customers. Being my first cruise on Holland America this incident (minor as it may be) did not create a good first impression.

The magic word here is "unfair". The passenger feels HAL's decision to give half cabin OBC, after paying double cabin price, is unfair. The loss of goodwill to HAL is much more than the $50. Sometimes, the bean counters just don't get it!

There is always a problem when the fares are raised because of a promo being added like Explore 4. In this case, in addition to paying the single supplement, only a single promo package is given. For example, say the cabin is $1,000 each. Then Explore 4 is added and HAL raises the price to $1,500 each. Normally you would think that the promo package is costing $500 per passenger. Because the solo person only gets one promo package, the extra cost to her is $1,000. This is not fair to the solo passenger.

The magic word here is "unfair". The passenger feels HAL's decision to give half cabin OBC, after paying double cabin price, is unfair. The loss of goodwill to HAL is much more than the $50. Sometimes, the bean counters just don't get it!

Ahh yes. But you get it. Thank you.

Sometimes customers don't get that not all customers are equally desirable. There is an opportunity cost to the cruise line every time a solo passenger is booked, even at the 100% solo supplement. Those are real dollars. They accommodate solo passengers at a fare that is somewhat reasonable based upon that cost. That does not mean that they are pushing to get and keep large numbers of them. Let me know when you see a marketing campaigned aimed at attracting more solos to a cruise line. You might see it on an all inclusive line, but probably not on a mainstream line. It may be harsh, but it is economic reality.

If the OBC is listed per passenger then only one passenger is in the cabin gets the per passenger OBC.

Edited by RDC1

There are marketing campaigns aimed at solo cruisers. I am a solo standby for a cruise, which offers no single supplement, if there are vacancies three weeks before departure. I am happy with that because I am retired and I have plans B and C, if it doesn't come off.

There are marketing campaigns aimed at solo cruisers. I am a solo standby for a cruise, which offers no single supplement, if there are vacancies three weeks before departure. I am happy with that because I am retired and I have plans B and C, if it doesn't come off.

On which cruise line might that be. What type of marketing campaign? Any advertising trying to attract solos in media, or just the availability of standby fares? What is their supplement for non-standby (normal booking). Certainly have not seen one here in the US on any of the mainstream lines.

Though what you mentioned does make sense. A solo in a cabin is better than a totally empty cabin, even though it is worse than a cabin with 2. So the cruise line would benefit, but only in the case that they could not already fill the cabin.

On which cruise line might that be. What type of marketing campaign? Any advertising trying to attract solos in media, or just the availability of standby fares? What is their supplement for non-standby (normal booking). Certainly have not seen one here in the US on any of the mainstream lines.

Though what you mentioned does make sense. A solo in a cabin is better than a totally empty cabin, even though it is worse than a cabin with 2. So the cruise line would benefit, but only in the case that they could not already fill the cabin.

There are special rates for solo cruisers with many of the cruise lines. They are usually within 90 days of the sailing date. So you are right. The reduced single supplements are a way of filling unsold cabins. For retired people, that's great, but for those of us who still work it doesn't help much if you need to book more in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's interesting to note that there are people on both sides.
I don't think it makes sense to refer to the different perspectives excited as different "sides", as if they are in opposition to each other. There are those claiming unfairness based on self-ratified expectations, and there are those expressing the way things are and why things are that way, without regard to any self-ratified criteria.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

You missed one important point with your fancy calculations. Spending. When I'm cruising with my wife (who does not drink) I hardly drink much at all. Our bar bill is very small. When I cruise solo my bar bill is three or four times as much. When my wife and I cruise together we don't do any excursions because of her disability. When I cruise solo I go on at least one excursion. The cruise line makes more money when I cruise solo. Also, as another poster pointed out, the onboard credit costs the cruise line a fraction of its face value so it doesn't make sense for Holland America to shortchange its passengers. I have cruised solo on Carnival and NCL and received full on board credit for the room and appreciated it. I don't appreciate Holland America very much so far but will not let that ruin my cruise experience.

I also spend more on board when sailing solo. When I sail with my husband, we are much more likely to arrange private tours or just wander on our own in port. When I sail solo, I will book several of the ship's tours instead. And I am more likely to book a massage or thermal suite package when traveling alone.

I am quite saddened by HAL's pricing for solo cruisers now. It used to be if you were willing to book an inside, aft, lower deck cabin, you could get it with a 50% supplement. Now every cabin seems incur a 100% supplement. While HAL is getting more from some solo cruisers, they've been losing out on my bookings as I now book my solo cruises with the British cruise lines (Fred Olsen, Saga, Swan Hellenic) which have very good solo prices.

Edited by comcox
Adding

I also spend more on board when sailing solo.
However, the cruise line has to price based on the typical passenger within the demographic. There's no practicable way to price based on an individual customer's personal proclivities.

I thought the Koningsdam had cabins for singles. Are those prices doubled as well??

No, that would make no sense since it can only accommodate a single. ;)

So there are, indeed, opportunities for singles to not have to pay double ... depending on the ship.:)

Cheers!

I thought the Koningsdam had cabins for singles. Are those prices doubled as well??

Cheers!

No, that would make no sense since it can only accommodate a single. ;)

I just priced out the 10 day Koningsdam sailing for Nov 19th:

Solo in Solo Cabin - $2516.00

Solo in Reg Cabin - $3076.00 or $3114.00 depending on deck

P/P Double Reg Cab - $1619.00 to $1649.00 depending on deck

so right now, for a solo cabin, there is a significant savings