Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

I have been following this thread, and was on the same cruise as BMT and her mother, and met them. So I can confirm that they are real!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would hope so with over 2000 posts on CC

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have been following this thread, and was on the same cruise as BMT and her mother, and met them. So I can confirm that they are real!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In which case (and as this thread is about embarkation experiences), I'm curious to know about your experience. Did you turn up three and a half hours before your boarding time and board 'just over an hour later' - in other words immediately after the priority boarders and some two and a half hours before your allocated time - as BMT did?

The reason I ask is because if my disabled wife and I have the same experience on our forthcoming cruise (when we are not eligible for priority boarding) then I shall be writing to P&O to compliment them and shall share my positive experience on here.

Like others, I came to the conclusion that this was a wind up for several reasons. The illogical (and completely unjustified) nature of the 'complaint'. BMT's desire to discriminate against disabled and elderly passengers who ARE legitimately entitled to priority boarding (in the name of 'equality') in order that they can queue jump themselves. The complete and utter failure to provide answers to follow up questions and challenges (e.g. so what time DiD they board, given their 3.30pm allocation). The abusive (and completely irrational) outbursts in response to such legitimate questions. The style of language, text abbrevations, emojis etc that even someone of my 'young' age (50's) wouldn't use (or even understand), let alone someone claiming to be the child of a 102 year old who did a World Cruise 54 years ago (do the maths). The fact that someone suddenly becomes ill and needs a doctor as a result of sitting in a chair in a departure lounge for an hour (when their 'carer' has knowingly arrived with them three and a half hours early). The freezing temperatures in the boarding lounge that, strangely, nobody else has ever noticed. The incoherent and irrelevant ramblings in response to posts challenging all of the above, which interestingly fail to answer a single one of those challenges. Discounting the more logical responses of the many of us who have challenged this 'non-compliant' on the grounds that we are all members of the P&O marketing department!

I could go on (and on) but, as I have already said, I'm out on this one :)

You have done very well, Selbourne, and I fully agree with you and others - but do you know, life's just too short to try to respond on this one any more. I'm out too.Have a good day everyone. :)

Edited by Scriv

Back to the OP.

Just got off Britannia and thought the embarkation process was a shambles. We were allocated 3.30pm and arrived at 2.30pm.

We didn't get onboard until 4.45pm!

On my last cruise with RCL from Southampton we checked in at 10:30am and were onboard enjoying a drink by 11:15am.

Back to the OP.

Just got off Britannia and thought the embarkation process was a shambles. We were allocated 3.30pm and arrived at 2.30pm.

On my last cruise with RCL from Southampton we checked in at 10:30am and were onboard enjoying a drink by 11:15am.

I think this is the most telling post on this thread, ignore the rights and wrongs of giving suite and Caribbean loyalty members priority boarding and then giving the remainder a time which is deck dependent. The major question on all embarkation threads is why on earth do P&O make such a pigs breakfast of it compared with the likes of RCI and Celebrity.

These cruise lines operate bigger ships than P&O and have mainly UK passengers on Southampton cruises, but they allow ALL grades of their loyalty club to turn up at a time to suit them between 11:00 and 3:30, and on 5 Celebrity cruises out of Southampton I have only once taken longer than 30 Minutes from car park to the Ocean view cafe, and that was when Eclipse was undergoing a deep clean after a Noro outbreak. Even then the wait was only just over an hour, and Celebrity were giving passengers free coffee and snacks for the inconvenience.

I would love to receive that sort of customer service from P&O, but I am not holding my breath.

I think this is the most telling post on this thread, ignore the rights and wrongs of giving suite and Caribbean loyalty members priority boarding and then giving the remainder a time which is deck dependent. The major question on all embarkation threads is why on earth do P&O make such a pigs breakfast of it compared with the likes of RCI and Celebrity.

These cruise lines operate bigger ships than P&O and have mainly UK passengers on Southampton cruises, but they allow ALL grades of their loyalty club to turn up at a time to suit them between 11:00 and 3:30, and on 5 Celebrity cruises out of Southampton I have only once taken longer than 30 Minutes from car park to the Ocean view cafe, and that was when Eclipse was undergoing a deep clean after a Noro outbreak. Even then the wait was only just over an hour, and Celebrity were giving passengers free coffee and snacks for the inconvenience.

I would love to receive that sort of customer service from P&O, but I am not holding my breath.

Having only ever cruised with P&O, I am fascinated to read how much better it is with other lines. Out of interest, what do they do differently that enables passengers to get on board so much quicker? I know us Brits like to queue, but the contrast is quite incredible!

Having only ever cruised with P&O, I am fascinated to read how much better it is with other lines. Out of interest, what do they do differently that enables passengers to get on board so much quicker? I know us Brits like to queue, but the contrast is quite incredible!

IMO the difference is that City terminal do security first, this in my view is where any hold ups are likely. It was very noticeable on our only Mayflower embarkation to date that check in was stopped several times to allow security delays to be cleared, with check in staff twiddling their thumbs.

It also seems far less stressful to have the longest queue at the start of the process, once through security you then join the check in queue(s), or at least we do with a wheelchair, I haven't taken much notice of the other check in desks, but there have been very few passengers using the seating so I assume they operate the same way; and as you say a lot of other City terminal passengers do comment as to how slick it is.

One other point we have noticed is that Celebrity seem to use a lot of ship staff in the check in process, all the wheelchair pushers are crew members and we notice a lot of ships badges at check in, so they will be giving the same high quality on board customer service that we find is so apparent with Celebrity.

I think one of the reasons is they allow you to board before the rooms are ready. Suits me as I cant see any reason why I would want to sit in my room all day . Also they know that not all passengers are going to turn up at 10:30 in the morning. eg. Coaches travelling from across the country are not going to arrive much before lunch and will be naturally staggered through out the day/afternoon because of the different journey times.

Maybe they care more about the're customers ;)

I know our experience isn't recent. But in June sailing on Britannia we arrived at 14:40 and were onboard by 15:35. we had a 15:30 slot. Although they didn't look at our etickets(that I could see), we were simply given the next cards from the pile.

This October we have a suite, so in theory should board at 12:30

Edited by chris11256

Back to the OP.

Well that's excellent 3000 people getting on by 11.15. Or are you saying that others behind you had to wait?

From what I have read they clear the ship quicker. But to do that they must clear the rooms quicker and get people out of the cabins earlier? However unless they use their own staff to unload luggage they will still be reliant on the cases being take off by shore side people who are not cruise line.

For people to be on board by just after [[ something has to give t the other end.

IMO the difference is that City terminal do security first, this in my view is where any hold ups are likely. It was very noticeable on our only Mayflower embarkation to date that check in was stopped several times to allow security delays to be cleared, with check in staff twiddling their thumbs.

It also seems far less stressful to have the longest queue at the start of the process, once through security you then join the check in queue(s), or at least we do with a wheelchair, I haven't taken much notice of the other check in desks, but there have been very few passengers using the seating so I assume they operate the same way; and as you say a lot of other City terminal passengers do comment as to how slick it is.

One other point we have noticed is that Celebrity seem to use a lot of ship staff in the check in process, all the wheelchair pushers are crew members and we notice a lot of ships badges at check in, so they will be giving the same high quality on board customer service that we find is so apparent with Celebrity.

Very interesting. I don't think we've ever gone from City. On our recent P&O cruise (Ventura from Mayflower) I was surprised at how few check-in desks they had open (even though it was very early) and couldn't understand why they bunched the open ones so close together in a tiny area when most were closed. We were right on top of the people either side checking in next to us, not easy when my wife is in a wheelchair. They would have been better opening every other desk initially to make it a bit more comfortable. I guess if they opened more desks earlier (there was the demand) then they could avoid the queues building up, which may well explain some of the difference with the US lines.

I had no complaints about the boarding though. We had priority boarding (as we were in a Suite) and even though the ship had just come back from a 35 night cruise and was very late disembarking passengers (they were still coming off at 1130am) we were on board by 1215, even earlier than advertised. Very impressive.

On our next cruise (Aurora, also from Mayflower) we aren't in a Suite so won't have priority, hence my much earlier question about whether assisted boarding is a better option than self boarding (due to the wheelchair, we try to get to the buffet before it becomes rammed). But having read the post about Britannia, I'm glad that we are back to a Suite when we cruise on her again in the summer. On our two previous Britannia cruises we also had a suite and were on board at 1230pm on the dot.

1. They disembark earlier so the ship is cleared quicker. The arrangements for self disembarkation are less rigid so a lot of people DIY.

2. As described above security is done first not after you are called so there is a steady stream of people being cleared through security rather than fits and starts.

3. If you do the on line check in before going to the port you can print a fast pass. If you have a fast pass you can go to one of the checkers with an ipad devise and they just scan you in. - no queue needed. That means you can board immediately. The online check in includes you scanning a passport photo, your card details etc. All the I-pad person does is check that you are the person in the picture, passport matches etc but they don't have to type in anything so it takes under a minute. They use the picture you scanned for ship security (with the advantage that you can pick one that looked half decent!)

4. The time saved is with all the information gathering and advance input that the staff then don't have to do. If there is an issue with the fast pass or if you have not completed one then there is a conventional check in que.

In all my Celebrity / RCI cruises I have never had to wait to late afternoon to board and neither has anyone else unless that time suited them. I like Travelling with P&O and they have many good pints but embarcation is not one of them.

1. They disembark earlier so the ship is cleared quicker. The arrangements for self disembarkation are less rigid so a lot of people DIY.

2. As described above security is done first not after you are called so there is a steady stream of people being cleared through security rather than fits and starts.

3. If you do the on line check in before going to the port you can print a fast pass. If you have a fast pass you can go to one of the checkers with an ipad devise and they just scan you in. - no queue needed. That means you can board immediately. The online check in includes you scanning a passport photo, your card details etc. All the I-pad person does is check that you are the person in the picture, passport matches etc but they don't have to type in anything so it takes under a minute. They use the picture you scanned for ship security (with the advantage that you can pick one that looked half decent!)

4. The time saved is with all the information gathering and advance input that the staff then don't have to do. If there is an issue with the fast pass or if you have not completed one then there is a conventional check in que.

In all my Celebrity / RCI cruises I have never had to wait to late afternoon to board and neither has anyone else unless that time suited them. I like Travelling with P&O and they have many good pints but embarcation is not one of them.

Blimey. What a contrast. That all sounds fantastic and clearly explains why so many people are kept waiting around for hours with P&O. With the vast numbers of passengers using P&O nowadays and the arrival of the mega ships, you would think that they would move their embarkation procedures into the 21st Century as others have clearly done. Here's me enjoying the comparatively hassle free priority boarding that I have to pay a fortune for (as it only comes with a Suite) or striving to get to Caribbean level to get it automatically - when those on US lines get a far better service than that - as standard!

Friends of ours have said we should try the US lines. Maybe I need to start listening to them.

In which case (and as this thread is about embarkation experiences), I'm curious to know about your experience. Did you turn up three and a half hours before your boarding time and board 'just over an hour later' - in other words immediately after the priority boarders and some two and a half hours before your allocated time - as BMT did?

The reason I ask is because if my disabled wife and I have the same experience on our forthcoming cruise (when we are not eligible for priority boarding) then I shall be writing to P&O to compliment them and shall share my positive experience on here.

Like others, I came to the conclusion that this was a wind up for several reasons. The illogical (and completely unjustified) nature of the 'complaint'. BMT's desire to discriminate against disabled and elderly passengers who ARE legitimately entitled to priority boarding (in the name of 'equality') in order that they can queue jump themselves. The complete and utter failure to provide answers to follow up questions and challenges (e.g. so what time DiD they board, given their 3.30pm allocation). The abusive (and completely irrational) outbursts in response to such legitimate questions. The style of language, text abbrevations, emojis etc that even someone of my 'young' age (50's) wouldn't use (or even understand), let alone someone claiming to be the child of a 102 year old who did a World Cruise 54 years ago (do the maths). The fact that someone suddenly becomes ill and needs a doctor as a result of sitting in a chair in a departure lounge for an hour (when their 'carer' has knowingly arrived with them three and a half hours early). The freezing temperatures in the boarding lounge that, strangely, nobody else has ever noticed. The incoherent and irrelevant ramblings in response to posts challenging all of the above, which interestingly fail to answer a single one of those challenges. Discounting the more logical responses of the many of us who have challenged this 'non-compliant' on the grounds that we are all members of the P&O marketing department!

I could go on (and on) but, as I have already said, I'm out on this one :)

Well, as Joy says, I am real. Do your maths again kind sir! My 21st birthday present was a world cruise on the first Oriana and it was the most amazing experience - the service was incredible. I actually jumped ship in Oz and spent a fabulous (was going to say fab, but in your opinion 75 year olds don't say things like that!) year working in Oz. Always was a bit of a rebel!

As far as age is concerned, I still ride my horse, although he is getting on a bit like me - and like the Queen I only walk around the countryside unless he (the 'oss) has other ideas.

I was not aware that there was an age limit on using emoticons. ROTFL

In this day and age, 75 is the new 55 - at least it is in my case. So you are just a teenager.

I was just reading that on a BA flight a lady was refused access to a toilet. That's another point - my mother could not have reached the toilet as there was a steep slope up!! Yikes!! That would have been fun.:eek::eek: (Yus - two smilies!!).

By the way, I never said she was ill. The nerves and discomfort were affecting her and she was 'wilting' and that convinced the clipboard lady to ignore all her orders and give Mum the next wheelchair. The other waiting passengers actually gave her a clap!!! She was reasonably OK after she had sandwich and a lie-down, managed lifeboat drill, a quick salad and went to bed. You don't seem to get it that the elderly have difficulties - and that is why we don't fly to the Caribbean. Soham is supposed to be easier!:confused:

Your post gives me the clues. You are in your fifties - just wait. When (if) you are a 100 and you sit in February in a drafty hallway for over an hour - you will be shivering. Here in the Home, people wear vests in the summer. Old people ARE different - their bodies work in a different way - not to say the brain. They also get upset and nervous far more easily if things don't go smoothly.

No-one is trying to 'push-in'. The cruiselines are perfectly aware (except Pando obviously) that boarding times will only be used as guidelines as some cruisers can't adhere to them for various reasons. The closure of the M4 will certainly send the times into chaos I would think!!

Just as suites and big spenders are priorities, in my mind the disabled should be MORE of a priority in this enlightened day and age. And the other cruiselines ARE enlightened - and that's why Pando is falling so far behind and has to rely on cheap cheap cheap. And with some decent management getting out there and sorting it all out, needn't be that way at all!! Its not a bad product - just out of date!!

Well that's excellent 3000 people getting on by 11.15. Or are you saying that others behind you had to wait?

Who said anything about 3000 people getting on before 11:15? As far as I am aware no one before or after us had to wait and this appears to be backed up by other comments on this thread.

IMO This is something P&O need to look at , as it doesn't create a great first impression.

Who said anything about 3000 people getting on before 11:15? As far as I am aware no one before or after us had to wait and this appears to be backed up by other comments on this thread.

IMO This is something P&O need to look at , as it doesn't create a great first impression.

Sorry but if you get on at 11.15 there have to be 3000 people behind you they all cannot get on at once. If they all turned up at 11.00 to 12.00 then there would be big queues.

In answer to your question: we had an embarkation time of 3.30, like BMT. We arrived shortly after 2 (we too had to negotiate the M25 etc and had allowed ourselves plenty of time), walked straight in, were given a card and called very shortly afterwards. Straight to a very speedy and courteous check-in and arrived at our cabin before 3 with our cases already outside. We couldn't fault the process, but we are not disabled and therefore can't really compare experiences. We also have no priority status whatsoever.

As I said, we did meet BMT and her mother. The former is, as she herself says, a very feisty lady who stands up for what she perceives as her and her mother's rights. The old lady is remarkable for her age, walked round the ship with a small rollator frame but is obviously quite frail, and her daughter appears to be a devoted carer. I wouldn't like to cross her!

By the way, we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, and agree with most of BMT's general comments. The food in the MDR was good (we had select dining), the service generally was excellent and the entertainment very good. The buffet was not good at all, and we only used it a couple of times for lunch and for breakfast on the last day

I've cruised several times with celebrity and Royal Caribbean from Southampton, and also several times with P&O. I have to say that I have found the Celebrity / Royal Caribbean embarkation procedure much slicker and much quicker every time (and therefore a much better start to the holiday). Part of the reason is that they just get on with it as soon as they can rather than wasting time giving out cards and getting people to wait. Celebrity / Royal Caribbean also seem to have more staff on the checking-in desks (perhaps the staff that would be normally giving out cards!). As others have said, their system seems to be geared towards serving customers better (who really wants to sit around in a busy lounge for ages), rather than making it easier for themselves (which P&O sometimes seem to be doing).

Blimey. What a contrast. That all sounds fantastic and clearly explains why so many people are kept waiting around for hours with P&O. With the vast numbers of passengers using P&O nowadays and the arrival of the mega ships, you would think that they would move their embarkation procedures into the 21st Century as others have clearly done. Here's me enjoying the comparatively hassle free priority boarding that I have to pay a fortune for (as it only comes with a Suite) or striving to get to Caribbean level to get it automatically - when those on US lines get a far better service than that - as standard!

Friends of ours have said we should try the US lines. Maybe I need to start listening to them.

Sorry but if you get on at 11.15 there have to be 3000 people behind you they all cannot get on at once. If they all turned up at 11.00 to 12.00 then there would be big queues.

Dai, why can you never admit that another cruise line can do things better than P&O, and why constantly try to hide their shortcomings by blaming passengers behaviour.

We are not lying to you when we say others do things better, nor are we saying P&O are rubbish, just that they could be so much better for very little cost or effort, if only they looked carefully at how some other cruise lines operate.

Dai, why can you never admit that another cruise line can do things better than P&O, and why constantly try to hide their shortcomings by blaming passengers behaviour.

We are not lying to you when we say others do things better, nor are we saying P&O are rubbish, just that they could be so much better for very little cost or effort, if only they looked carefully at how some other cruise lines operate.

Yes John.

And face it Celebrity/ RCI also do it for the profit margin. Customers who are leaving do not spend money. Those who embark usually start to spend.

By the way the proper name for the pass is a Set Sail Pass, I called it fast pass in an earlier post in error.

And face it Celebrity/ RCI also do it for the profit margin. Customers who are leaving do not spend money. Those who embark usually start to spend.

By the way the proper name for the pass is a Set Sail Pass, I called it fast pass in an earlier post in error.

I'm not sure they will make much more money by boarding people early as most people will have drinks included as part of their package (certainly for celebrity). So they might actually lose money by letting people on earlier - unless there are lots of shop purchases!

I don't think Pando do drink packages do they? Not entirely sure that that is the reasoning though on Celebrity.

Shops not open until they sail anyway.

Have been searching for the word for Pando and thought it was 'inflexible'. Now, I think a better description is 'regimented' - rather than service oriented towards needs and requirements.

Could be cultural I suppose. Although Pando customer service in the UK is totally regimented and inflexible!!:eek::eek: Like boarding school and they are the prefects! Pando management couldn't possibly be wrong about anything:rolleyes:.