Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

Since you will have boarded before the rabble start to board your comments about normal boarding are all hearsay, which is inadmissible.

You have said that before and it is as wrong now as it was then, as it is a way of trying to stop free speech

It will be good when you get to Caribbean as you will have to stop posting if we accept your statement above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm tempted to go back to Club dining purely in the hope that one day I may end up on a table with both daiB and terrierjohn. I think it would be far more entertaining than anything that P&O puts on in the evening!

I'm tempted to go back to Club dining purely in the hope that one day I may end up on a table with both daiB and terrierjohn. I think it would be far more entertaining than anything that P&O puts on in the evening!

Sorry Selbourne I am a freedom dining fan, do not want to be tied to a timetable. But we do prefer to share a table, so you could join us, but Dai would never give up his traditional fixed dining.

Sorry Selbourne I am a freedom dining fan, do not want to be tied to a timetable. But we do prefer to share a table, so you could join us, but Dai would never give up his traditional fixed dining.

Quite right. BTW we are fairly boring when together.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Once again you are wrong. Where exactly have I made any comparison which is not a fact available for all to find.

But then again you clearly don't read my posts.

I only commented on the same people saying the same things over and over so in their own minds it is true.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Dai, unfortunately I do (have to) read your posts. Your views are not comparative to other cruise lines as you haven't sailed with other cruise lines. Peoples' experiences of boarding are well documented. The 'same people saying the same things' applies equally to you.

I don't have an issue with you defending P&O on other things, pricing, entertainment, cabins, design, service, tips but their boarding process is lacking and could easily be better.

Btw, not an attack on you, just your viewpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The two lines do things In a different way. But that does not make the way P&O do things bad. Many people are happy with what happens now, turn up at your given times and board quickly. Now I still maintain those who shout the loudest are those who think they should get on first, just because they want to. I do not see the point in this discussion when people come on and say well X or Y do it better we are not talking about X and Y we are on a site discussing P&O and how well the new system is working. The OP got his/her answer very early, yes they are sticking to the times given. And yes it works and yes if you turn up too early, even if you are disabled, you are likely to wait.

You have said that before and it is as wrong now as it was then, as it is a way of trying to stop free speech

It will be good when you get to Caribbean as you will have to stop posting if we accept your statement above.

Once again you are wrong. Where exactly have I made any comparison which is not a fact available for all to find.

But then again you clearly don't read my posts.

I only commented on the same people saying the same things over and over so in their own minds it is true.

The two lines do things In a different way. But that does not make the way P&O do things bad. Many people are happy with what happens now, turn up at your given times and board quickly. Now I still maintain those who shout the loudest are those who think they should get on first, just because they want to. I do not see the point in this discussion when people come on and say well X or Y do it better we are not talking about X and Y we are on a site discussing P&O and how well the new system is working. The OP got his/her answer very early, yes they are sticking to the times given. And yes it works and yes if you turn up too early, even if you are disabled, you are likely to wait.

Dai, equally you keeping saying that many people like the current system does not make that statement true, it is just your and their opinion, and whilst I accept that you are entitled to hold that opinion, it does not make it any more valid than the opinion of the those of us who think the system is very poor.

Incidentally once I reach Caribbean the system will probably cease to cause me the same problems, but I would hope I will still want to see P&O make the changes necessary to produce favourable comparisons with the RCI group.

OK many people say they like the system. That is true they have said it in print.

This is on this thread and the one last time which was longer than this with many people saying that. Are you saying they were lying and that those on this thread are lying? If they are not lying then I am correct in my reporting of that fact.

OK many people say they like the system. That is true they have said it in print.

This is on this thread and the one last time which was longer than this with many people saying that. Are you saying they were lying and that those on this thread are lying? If they are not lying then I am correct in my reporting of that fact.

Dai, I am talking about whether the embarkation system is right, as in fit for purpose, not whether or not your reporting of other peoples views are correct. You repeatedly attempt to portray your view as right by quoting what other people have said in support of your view, but you deny myself and others the same rights by insisting we must be wrong because you are always right.

Surely the fact that some describe the P&O system as working well simply because if you turn up at your designated time you shouldn't wait too long but if you turn up early you can expect a delay misses the point?

This assumes that we are all content to arrive at a time randomly determined by P&O, at a time that suits them and not the customer. This is outdated thinking and poor customer service and doesn't make the best start to a holiday. Some people are determined by train times, others (like us) will build in quite a bit of extra time for traffic delays. If we don't hit any delays, we don't want to leave our valuables unattended in our cars in Southampton whilst we kill time waiting for our slot.

We have benefited from priority boarding on several occasions (due to having a Suite) but of the 5 future cruises we have booked only 2 will afford us this privelige. For our upcoming cruise on Aurora we have been allocated 2.30pm, better than many will get, but still a bit late for lunch, which we enjoy as it marks the start of the cruise for us. We will therefore arrive earlier, expecting a wait but hoping to get on earlier than our slot.

Whilst I am inclined to agree that some system is needed, I don't buy the fact that everyone will turn up at midday. Southampton is right at the bottom of the country and passengers are travelling from all parts of the UK and beyond. I would think that only a relatively small percentage stay overnight the night before.

But, more importantly than all of this, it is patently obvious from the experiences being shared by others that other cruise lines have a far better system for embarkation than P&O. It is unacceptable for P&O to stick with a system that works for them (even if some passengers don't have a problem with it) when their competitors have found far better ways to do the same thing far more efficiently and in a far more customer friendly manner.

I like P&O but am not blind to their faults. They do have some!

Dai, I am talking about whether the embarkation system is right, as in fit for purpose, not whether or not your reporting of other peoples views are correct. You repeatedly attempt to portray your view as right by quoting what other people have said in support of your view, but you deny myself and others the same rights by insisting we must be wrong because you are always right.

Well you are now going so far off track. The system works. The system is liked by many. It has reduced waiting times for those who turn up when asked to. You are trying to turn it into something else because you don't like it. The OP wanted to know if it was working and if you had to turn up at the correct time. He found that out. You are the one trying to turn the discussion into something else.

Selbourne, one of the reasons for bringing in this system was to get away from the free for all which existed before. People were given a time but never acted on it. People would post on here and say do we have to follow the time given and would be told no just turn up when you like. This was causing chaos. Queues building up in the car park by 11.00. Packed departure lounges. Chaos.

The new system was brought in to get over that and to be able to get the luggage to cabins earlier, hence the new coloured luggage labels. Also to get the cabins ready when you boarded.

Now as I have said it now works. All the elements I have mentioned work. You might notice that I have never said it was better than that which happens on any other line. Others seem to think I do.

It is a system which works and people like it. Except when there is a problem, and all systems fall down at that point.

Surely the fact that some describe the P&O system as working well simply because if you turn up at your designated time you shouldn't wait too long but if you turn up early you can expect a delay misses the point?

This assumes that we are all content to arrive at a time randomly determined by P&O, at a time that suits them and not the customer. This is outdated thinking and poor customer service and doesn't make the best start to a holiday. Some people are determined by train times, others (like us) will build in quite a bit of extra time for traffic delays. If we don't hit any delays, we don't want to leave our valuables unattended in our cars in Southampton whilst we kill time waiting for our slot.

We have benefited from priority boarding on several occasions (due to having a Suite) but of the 5 future cruises we have booked only 2 will afford us this privelige. For our upcoming cruise on Aurora we have been allocated 2.30pm, better than many will get, but still a bit late for lunch, which we enjoy as it marks the start of the cruise for us. We will therefore arrive earlier, expecting a wait but hoping to get on earlier than our slot.

Whilst I am inclined to agree that some system is needed, I don't buy the fact that everyone will turn up at midday. Southampton is right at the bottom of the country and passengers are travelling from all parts of the UK and beyond. I would think that only a relatively small percentage stay overnight the night before.

But, more importantly than all of this, it is patently obvious from the experiences being shared by others that other cruise lines have a far better system for embarkation than P&O. It is unacceptable for P&O to stick with a system that works for them (even if some passengers don't have a problem with it) when their competitors have found far better ways to do the same thing far more efficiently and in a far more customer friendly manner.

I like P&O but am not blind to their faults. They do have some!

I wonder which Aurora cruise you are on?

We are sailing on Aurora on 13th May. A great itinerary, really looking forward to it.

I wish you did club dining, I think you would be a very entertaining table mate! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All I can say is on the two cruises I've been on, I've received late boarding times. I've then not got on until far later than these times. People around us in the masses are not happy. If I was on a higher peninsula class and onboard early, then I'd prob hear a lot more people happy with the new system. Surround yourself by others who are similar and you'll hear similar comments. I imagine the majority of people prepared to give theirvviews on here will be people who have cruised many times. That may skew any results of surveys. Be interesting to see a survey of happy or not against peninsular status...

I've just received a 3pm time for our 3rd cruise. Let's see if I actually get onboard and cases in cabin before muster and dinner? 3rd time lucky... Be nice to be able to change for dinner, than not have our cases after dinner (we're now freedom dining so can wait, but couldn't on cruise 1 in Dec 2015, where we had to go down in our day wear)

Also it would be nice to actually see some staff when we embark, rather than a deserted boarding, as everyone has gone to prepare for muster. I've never actually seen a member of staff yet,to say welcome (apart from a photographer once, who was more interested in grabbing us for a photo than letting us know where the stairs or lifts to the cabins were) as we embark... is that a welcome?

First impressions count. We only stick with p&o because they leave from the UK and we enjoy the rest of the cruise.

As we have 6+ hr drive, we drive down the day before to avoid long delays causing stress, along the A64, A1M, M1, A34... We check out of the hotel by 12:00. Waiting in the hotel lobby is a waste of our time, but that's what we've previously done. This time rather than wait in the hotel, then wait yet again in the terminal, I'm going to checkout and go straight to Mayflower. Ok, we'll get there just after 12:30 rather than 3. But going on what I've seen previously from others waiting, I may actually embark at 3pm rather than a lot lot later. And we may find a seat to sit on in the terminal.

To be honest, I'd prefer a free for all system, where you turn up and board in order of arrival. What's unfair about that?

down in our day wear)

ATo be honest, I'd prefer a free for all system, where you turn up and board in order of arrival. What's unfair about that?

What's unfair? Do you think we live in a democracy? Get over it!!:D:D This is Pando.

There are people on here who actually think we can arrive at 3.30pm when we have to use the M25 and M3. Our taxi company recommends an extra two hours to account for delays. These same people on here then expect my 101 year old mother to spend the two hours walking around West Quay when we are abitrarily allocated 3.30pm boarding? Really?

Quite amusingly, Pando suggested we buy refreshments to substitute the lunch they are charging us for on Day 1. Perhaps everyone allocated a time after lunch should receive a luncheon voucher? ROTFL

Some genius at Pando suggested we complain to ABTA about wheelchair discrimination by Pando!! Loved the emails I received from them - showed a total lack of any PR or customer relations knowledge.

Is there any reason why you can't turn up about noon, drop off the car with CPS, hand in the luggage, then walk back out of the terminal into Southampton until your later boarding time? Appreciate that this may not be an option for the less mobile.

On our first P&o cruise a couple of years ago we passed some time in Southampton before driving up about half an hour before our allotted time of 3.30. We were greeted by huge queues of cars, similar to when you board a cross channel ferry. We were worried at one point that we wouldn't get on before Britannia sailed! We eventually boarded over an hour later.

It spoiled the day somewhat as it was our wedding anniversary and we had booked a meal in the Epicurean.

Just trying to avoid the same situation on our forthcoming cruise.

Is there any reason why you can't turn up about noon, drop off the car with CPS, hand in the luggage, then walk back out of the terminal into Southampton until your later boarding time? Appreciate that this may not be an option for the less mobile.

On our first P&o cruise a couple of years ago we passed some time in Southampton before driving up about half an hour before our allotted time of 3.30. We were greeted by huge queues of cars, similar to when you board a cross channel ferry. We were worried at one point that we wouldn't get on before Britannia sailed! We eventually boarded over an hour later.

It spoiled the day somewhat as it was our wedding anniversary and we had booked a meal in the Epicurean.

No problem doing that if you don't mind carrying your carry on bags with you.

I wish you did club dining, I think you would be a very entertaining table mate! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Entertaining? Me? Well some laugh with me, others at me. We sometimes share tables for lunch and breakfast, so you may still have to suffer at some stage!

Yes you can do this. The car and bag drop off are completely independent of the passenger check in process. However, the nearest place of interest is West Quay Shopping Centre, which is one and a half miles from the terminal (each way).

It strikes me that a simple minibus passenger shuttle, either P&O funded, West Quay funded, or a collaboration, could be a great addition to the cruise experience. The taxi drivers probably wouldn't be so keen.

It would be good to be able to arrive at whatever time the traffic, the hotel checkout, or ones own neuroticism decreed, offload the luggage, hand over the car and head off for last minute shopping, cinema ( new multiscreen just opened, I believe) pub, cafe or restaurant.

Wouldn't do for those who have a lot of carry-on luggage, by choice or necessity, but at least there might be more space for them to wait in the terminal.

However long the wait (and I'm not saying it's unavoidable, or pleasant) it's nothing like as awful as an airport wait, check-in and security, to me

Just back from my first (and last) cruise on Azura and my first experience of Mayflower Terminal

We were given the embarkation time of 3pm. As others correctly state of course it is impossible to travel a distance and arrive at this time without running the risk of missing the ship (very interesting Facebook thread about a month ago of a lady who missed her cruise because of traffic in the Midlands)

Also as we travel by taxi the oft quoted option of stopping for lunch a bit out of Southampton is not open to us

(And Jean when I go on holiday I am not making sandwiches and eating a packed lunch in a terminal - may as well go camping or caravanning)

We decided to try and arrive early, drop off the bulk of the luggage and meet friends who happened to be nearby for lunch - and this worked well for us

We arrived back at Mayflower at 2.20pm. First of all we missed getting a card as we walked up the slope and the ladies handing out the cards were surrounded by wheelchair passengers and we wrongly assumed that was the area for assistance. When there was no-one at the top of the slope to assist we re-assessed and spotted that we should have got cards where the wheelchairs were so I returned and waited a few minutes while they dealt with the wheelchair passengers to get our cards. I asked the lady who gave us out the card how long the wait was but she had no idea at all.

So we had a seat and then spotted one of the reasons embarkation is so slow - passengers who kept going to the front of the queue with the wrong card. It was hilarious really - they would shout Red A and people walked forward with Green D and had to be turned away. You really couldn't make it up. When your number was called they then made you walk the length of the terminal to be allocated a check in person who could have been back where you started - didn't make sense for those with children and lots of hand luggage and walking sticks etc

We got called at about 2.50 pm and were on the ship about 20 minutes later

I am sure some people would think it was a wonderful embarkation experience

I would beg to differ. By 3.15 pm on Celebrity I have been greeted with a glass of bubbly and had a lovely lunch and have unpacked.

However my experience is that P&O's average passenger has a fairly low expectation of service and accept anything really.

Disembarking at the Mayflower Terminal was also woeful. Far too much luggage in the terminal and few trolleys as you entered the luggage area (they were mostly all outside). Not enough space between the luggage and people accidentally ramming their trolleys into others. I think the way the luggage was laid out made it difficult with the disembarkation order - spread out would have been better.

The Mayflower Terminal did not impress

No problem doing that if you don't mind carrying your carry on bags with you.

...........and it's a heck of a long trek from the Mayflower terminal back to any sort of civilisation.

Might as well ask this here, if embarkation times are in fact decided by deck, does anyone have a vague idea what time I'd be looking at on Azura's Riviera deck?

As it happens I've booked a hotel and am travelling down the day before, but want some idea of how much time I'll have to kill the next day, before getting a taxi to the terminal.