Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

Well for what it's worth I think embarkation as far as disability is concerned should be in order of need. The degree of need isn't always apparent so I'd like to think that in today's society we could all be generous enough firstly to prioritise the very elderly and disabled above all other passengers and secondly within that category it would be good if human nature was such that if someone said they had an urgent need, that we just take that as good enough to get that person onboard. There may be some people who take advantage but I'd like to think that if I'd been with my Dad who would have needed to board quickly, that people would understand and just be thankful that their need was lesser. I would be more than happy for anyone to go in front of me if they told me they needed to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a well balanced post. My Mum doesn't always look like she needs a wheelchair but on occasion she really needs help. I have no problem with any passenger requiring assistance skipping the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can someone explain what these "needs" are that mean you have to board before others. Is there something on the ship that I'm missing?

My mum is 92 and only recently stopped cruising and she queued up without any "need" to get aboard before anyone else. Nice yes, "need" I'm not sure about.

"I want never gets" as she still says

Can someone explain what these "needs" are that mean you have to board before others. Is there something on the ship that I'm missing?

My mum is 92 and only recently stopped cruising and she queued up without any "need" to get aboard before anyone else. Nice yes, "need" I'm not sure about.

I don't want or need to be on board before anyone else, I just want to board when I want to board in order to start my holiday to suit me, and since the RCI group of cruise lines manage to provide this service at Southampton I would like P&O to do the same, simples.

Some illnesses cause almost complete exhaustion, just making the trip to Southampton is a massive effort. These often come with the need to medicate at specific times, not necessarily tablets but things that entail turning on equipment. Some people struggle with incontinence that the exertion of the journey can bring on and a shower is very welcome. Some may need to lie down after long periods of sitting in a car, some might just be suffering pain and need to feel comfortable.

Sometimes it's only when you have first hand experience of 'need' that you have insight into what people go through and compassion for their situation.

Of course they do - loyalty and suites get the first wheelchair to come along, regardless of how long other more lowly disabled have been waiting.

Even Pando don't dispute this!!

Explain why in your opinion, this is NOT discrimination?

As myself and numerous others have explained to you time and time again (in response to the countless times on several threads that you have raised this issue), what you experienced was NOT discrimination, but what you are suggesting WOULD be discrimination. Let me try one last time to explain;

ALL passengers travelling in suites or of high loyalty tier status receive priority boarding, whether disabled or not. That is correct and means that disabled passengers and able bodied alike are treated equally. Your complaint is that priority boarding priveliges should not apply to disabled passengers and they should simply be boarded in the order they arrive, even when, like you, they arrive 3 hours before their allocated time. That means that disabled passengers who have paid extra for a Suite (or earned higher loyalty status) would be deprived of a benefit that able bodied people receive. That WOULD be discrimination.

It is interesting that your story chops and changes with each telling of it. Originally, you were 'waiting for a wheelchair'. Then when challenged by several people why you didn't have one of your own you suddenly did have one. Now you seem to be back to the 'waiting for a wheelchair' version. There are countless other aspects of the long version of the story which don't stand up to scrutiny, but these have been highlighted elesewhere by many of us. You simply ignore the points we make and repeat other (usually irrelevant) statements.

For the benefit of those who haven't read the countless posts on other threads about this (and I suggest you don't), this person conveniently fails to mention that, having created an almighty fuss, they were boarded over 90 minutes before their allocated time!

Finally, I should stress that my wife is disabled and in a wheelchair. When we book a Suite we expect (and receive) priority boarding. When we don't (as is the case on our next cruise), we fully accept that those passengers (disabled or not) who have paid for a Suite or are in higher loyalty levels will receive priority over us, even though we will use assisted boarding. That is correct. If we end up boarding 90 minutes before our allocated time we shall be delighted and shall take the opportunity to positively highlight the fact! I'm now exhausted and off to bed.

Methinks this thread is now stuck in a cul de sac as well as stuck in the mud, has become groundhog day and is going nowhere fast etc etc etc...:D

Whilst it covers real issues imho with some fine members of this board....as someone once said "this lady (and in this case gent also) is not for turning" and that aint going to change despite some good efforts by other fine members to that effect:evilsmile:;)

It has been good fun at times but has reached "its sell by date!!" for me so I am going to depart this thread for pastures new even though at times its been like a good ol bunfight.

...time to open a can or two.:beer-mug::beer-mug::D

Methinks this thread is now stuck in a cul de sac as well as stuck in the mud, has become groundhog day and is going nowhere fast etc etc etc...

Whilst it covers real issues imho with some fine members of this board....as someone once said "this lady (and in this case gent also) is not for turning" and that aint going to change despite some good efforts by other fine members to that effect:evilsmile:;)

It has been good fun at times but has reached "its sell by date!!" for me so I am going to depart this thread for pastures new even though at times its been like a good ol bunfight.

I think that you are right, this thread has become tedious. I have no problem with disabled passengers' needs being taken into consideration ( indeed they should be ) but to say that they are discriminated against simply because they are not automatically prioritised for boarding is ridiculous. I will leave this thread and avoid it from now on. :lips-sealed:

Methinks this thread is now stuck in a cul de sac as well as stuck in the mud, has become groundhog day and is going nowhere fast etc etc etc...:D

I think there are a few of us taking at cross purposes with some talking about a specific incident and others about disability in general. I still trust P&O to do the right thing by us all on the day.

As myself and numerous others have explained to you time and time again (in response to the countless times on several threads that you have raised this issue), what you experienced was NOT discrimination, but what you are suggesting WOULD be discrimination. Let me try one last time to explain;

ALL passengers travelling in suites or of high loyalty tier status receive priority boarding, whether disabled or not. That is correct and means that disabled passengers and able bodied alike are treated equally. Your complaint is that priority boarding priveliges should not apply to disabled passengers and they should simply be boarded in the order they arrive, even when, like you, they arrive 3 hours before their allocated time. That means that disabled passengers who have paid extra for a Suite (or earned higher loyalty status) would be deprived of a benefit that able bodied people receive. That WOULD be discrimination.

It is interesting that your story chops and changes with each telling of it. Originally, you were 'waiting for a wheelchair'. Then when challenged by several people why you didn't have one of your own you suddenly did have one. Now you seem to be back to the 'waiting for a wheelchair' version. There are countless other aspects of the long version of the story which don't stand up to scrutiny, but these have been highlighted elesewhere by many of us. You simply ignore the points we make and repeat other (usually irrelevant) statements.

For the benefit of those who haven't read the countless posts on other threads about this (and I suggest you don't), this person conveniently fails to mention that, having created an almighty fuss, they were boarded over 90 minutes before their allocated time!

Finally, I should stress that my wife is disabled and in a wheelchair. When we book a Suite we expect (and receive) priority boarding. When we don't (as is the case on our next cruise), we fully accept that those passengers (disabled or not) who have paid for a Suite or are in higher loyalty levels will receive priority over us, even though we will use assisted boarding. That is correct. If we end up boarding 90 minutes before our allocated time we shall be delighted and shall take the opportunity to positively highlight the fact! I'm now exhausted and off to bed.

I repeat yet again, it is discriminating to give priority for a wheelchair to the big spenders like you. It is not even specified as an amenity - only priority CHECK-IN is, as on all the other cruise lines. It should be on arrival to board the disabled asap regardless of their financial or social standing - all other cruiselines do this without discriminating as to how much they have spent. Some things are just NOT about money, but about common humanity.

Hehe - I wondered whether you would pick-up on the "wheelchair" thingy. I have no interest in the Company and am not advertising, but what we have is a Diamond Drive de luxe rollator/travel chair. This is from the US and is fantastic for travelling. You can order them on the internet and I am always asked where they can be purchased.

You are willfully ignoring the fact that a lady of 101 is very frail and her needs are obvious - fortunately, other passengers did see this and apologised for going before us!! The lady with the clipboard said that the order she was given was disgraceful!!

Sorry, but I repeat the right to a wheelchair should not depend on how much you spend and no other cruiseline does this - you may not approve - but I can only imagine the type of person who cannot see that a frail 101-year old, after a long day, will come over poorly after being kept waiting indefinitely while big spenders receive a wheelchair before her. You may think this is right - I don't.

And again - if you arrived closer to your scheduled embarkation time, you would not make your mother suffer.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

She would suffer far more if we left at 1.30pm for 3.30pm and we were held up on the M25/M3:D She gets nervous as it is - last time she was afraid the ship would go without us although we were in the terminal!! Anyway, the taxi company insists on two hours leeway because of the two infamous motorways!!

Many posts on here saying that they have to leave earlier in order to account for delays if allocated late boarding - they could miss the ship if they didn't!!

Oh dear, thought you were giving up on this thread - obviously ONLY if you have the last word:eek::eek:

I am finding your posts unacceptable and offensive BMT and would ask that you stop these insulting personal comments towards disabled passengers. This has now gone far too far.

What a ridiculous statement - I am all in favour of the disabled being treated EQUALLY and without any discrimination!! Just saying that big spenders shouldn't get priority for wheelchairs, leaving other passengers sitting in very uncomfortable chairs in a draughty area, for long periods of time.

What's insulting about that?

You are now showing that you are only here to stir things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Dai, we agree! My Mum is disabled and despite that would feel embarrassed if she got early embarkation quicker than those on the same terms that were in place for her cabin or loyalty. Discrimination is when disabled passengers are treated less than equal but she's never found that to be so on P&O or any cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a ridiculous statement - I am all in favour of the disabled being treated EQUALLY and without any discrimination!! Just saying that big spenders shouldn't get priority for wheelchairs, leaving other passengers sitting in very uncomfortable chairs in a draughty area, for long periods of time.

What's insulting about that?

No you are not in favour at all of being equal. You just want to get on first and when you could not you moaned and moaned and moaned resulting in someone giving up their place just to shut you up.

You have continued to moan ever since.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Being a full time carer and not by choice, I bring a wheelchair for my wife,we organise wheelchair assistance for my benefit.as it is very difficult to push the wheel chair whilst carrying suit and dress cases.

We would not wish to push in front of anyone,we arrive nearly on time and wait our turn to board.

We fully appreciate and support the given benefits of the loyalty scheme and the rights of those who have obtained them.

You pay your dues.

My honest suggestion is bring your own wheel chair and change your taxi company

The Grand Harbour have a cruise lounge. Might that be a good place to wait for later boarding. I would be interested to hear if anybody has used it. We are staying at the hotel soon so will consider it after checkout. I do not know the elderly lady of the previous posts so cannot say it would be better for her than waiting in the terminal.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I used the Cruise Lounge on my last 2 cruises before I got to Caribbean Tier and had a good experience, then turned up about 20 minutes before allocated time and got on within about 15-20 minutes. My last boarding, April 2nd on Azura, was the quickest ever. Turned up at 12.45 for a 0ne o clock boarding and was on board by 12.54: 9 minutes!

Incidentally you can get the rather eccentric boarding times by deck/part of deck, different for each ship, from P and O. I have them.

Incidentally you can get the rather eccentric boarding times by deck/part of deck, different for each ship, from P and O. I have them.

Clodia, is there a way you could post this information, or a link to it please? It would answer an awful lot of questions that we have all been debating! Thanks in anticipation.

I used the Cruise Lounge on my last 2 cruises before I got to Caribbean Tier and had a good experience, then turned up about 20 minutes before allocated time and got on within about 15-20 minutes. My last boarding, April 2nd on Azura, was the quickest ever. Turned up at 12.45 for a 0ne o clock boarding and was on board by 12.54: 9 minutes!

Interesting that you have the embarkation times - are they on the P&O website?