Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

Presto - do you think that on-line check-in is the key?

Definitely - and they are going to have to do something similar when that new ship arrives surely!

Having said that, we've never on line check in with Celebrity and it has always worked well. Then again, to be fair, they were fly cruises but most people were Americans who had flown in way before the embarkation day and wanted to get on the ship early on.

I don't think RCI's on line check in is much different to Celebrity's or P&O's e-ticket, except for taking your photo, but on any line this is fairly quick and getting your sea pass card is also quite slick.

IMO having security first is a major benefit, this way you never have to slow down check in to clear any security queues; and it gets the major delay out of the way first. Then once you have checked in you're free to board straight away.

The other major difference is that both RCI and Celebrity start boarding much earlier thus spreading the load over a much longer period.

CPS also sometimes creates delays when they are waiting for chauffeurs to return

Apologies if this is a daft question or been answered but how do Royal Caribbean or Celebrity manage to handle so many more passengers with what seems to be more efficiency?
IMHO With far better organisation, more staff, better terminal design and utilisation of online check in. They also start check in / boarding far earlier than P&O.

When checking in with RCI/Celebrity there are a lot of staff greeting people as they enter the terminal checking documentation and then you pass through the security scanners. Then more staff hand out the health questionnaires to be completed before reaching the check in desk.

Then the check in area is divided into several lines/areas. For example, Suite guests, loyalty levels and finally by deck numbers.

Once in line, there are staff to guide guests to the next available agent. You hand over your online check in document, passports and credit card (if using this for payment of your on board account). At most ports your security photo is taken at this point, your key/charge card is given to you and you are waved on your way to the ship.

If for some reason boarding has not yet started then guests are directed to comfortable waiting areas to await embarkation with complimentary refreshments. Higher tier loyalty and suite guests have their own lounge.

On the newer technology advanced ships, you've uploaded your photo when you checked in on line (not mandatory if you don't have that facility), your documents are checked via a member of staff armed with a tablet computer (iPad or equivalent) and waved on to board the ship. Your cabin keys are in your stateroom so check in staff don't have to go off and rummage in boxes for your key cards which in itself can take longer than the check in process.

And this process for RCI/Celebrity isn't just for Southampton, it happens at many of their ports of departure. Barcelona have it down to a fine art, Civitavecchia has been a breeze each time we've checked in there. Port Canaveral with it's new RCI terminal, even better than before, and that was one of the best, Fort Lauderdale fantastic if you're departing on the Oasis class of ship from purpose built terminal 18 (5,600 guests at max occupancy), 15 minutes from kerbside to being on board, and finally Miami, once again, no hanging around and a smooth check in.

Out of 21 sailings with RCI/Celebrity I can honestly say that we have always turned up at the terminal around 11:00 and been on board by 12 except on 1 occasion when the ship had not been cleared due to insufficient border agency staff meaning those disembarking were delayed getting off the ship.

On all these occasions muster drill has not been delayed due to guests not being on board because the check in process extends until late afternoon unlike the reports I've seen on P&O.

IMHO With far better organisation, more staff, better terminal design and utilisation of online check in. They also start check in / boarding far earlier than P&O.

When checking in with RCI/Celebrity there are a lot of staff greeting people as they enter the terminal checking documentation and then you pass through the security scanners. Then more staff hand out the health questionnaires to be completed before reaching the check in desk.

Then the check in area is divided into several lines/areas. For example, Suite guests, loyalty levels and finally by deck numbers.

Once in line, there are staff to guide guests to the next available agent. You hand over your online check in document, passports and credit card (if using this for payment of your on board account). At most ports your security photo is taken at this point, your key/charge card is given to you and you are waved on your way to the ship.

If for some reason boarding has not yet started then guests are directed to comfortable waiting areas to await embarkation with complimentary refreshments. Higher tier loyalty and suite guests have their own lounge.

On the newer technology advanced ships, you've uploaded your photo when you checked in on line (not mandatory if you don't have that facility), your documents are checked via a member of staff armed with a tablet computer (iPad or equivalent) and waved on to board the ship. Your cabin keys are in your stateroom so check in staff don't have to go off and rummage in boxes for your key cards which in itself can take longer than the check in process.

And this process for RCI/Celebrity isn't just for Southampton, it happens at many of their ports of departure. Barcelona have it down to a fine art, Civitavecchia has been a breeze each time we've checked in there. Port Canaveral with it's new RCI terminal, even better than before, and that was one of the best, Fort Lauderdale fantastic if you're departing on the Oasis class of ship from purpose built terminal 18 (5,600 guests at max occupancy), 15 minutes from kerbside to being on board, and finally Miami, once again, no hanging around and a smooth check in.

Out of 21 sailings with RCI/Celebrity I can honestly say that we have always turned up at the terminal around 11:00 and been on board by 12 except on 1 occasion when the ship had not been cleared due to insufficient border agency staff meaning those disembarking were delayed getting off the ship.

On all these occasions muster drill has not been delayed due to guests not being on board because the check in process extends until late afternoon unlike the reports I've seen on P&O.

Hi, am just confused re your cruise card. When do you pick that up? Looking at the embarkation process for the Oasis of the Seas it didn't look like they went off with their cards. If you have no card, then how do you buy anything once on the ship? Is it in the cabin? Very confused.

Definitely - and they are going to have to do something similar when that new ship arrives surely! I can't see how they are going to board 5,000 people in the time it is taking to board Britannia's passengers when that huge ship arrives !

Have just watched that youtube clip about boarding the Oasis of the Seas and it was incredibly fast and so much easier for passengers as there were no queues and no standing around. I would hate the ship, but the embarkation was impressive! (Must admit we wondered when they got their cruise passes though ...)

P&O will either have to start check in and boarding earlier IMHO, or delay sailing until early evening. They will also have to start disembarking returning passengers earlier instead of letting them stay on board until 10:00.

There seems to be a very different attitude to embarking and disembarking from those who sail exclusively with P&O and those who sail other lines or are from other cultures.

My observation is that the majority of P&O guests are willing to wait to board, are not bothered about lunch on the day of embarkation, will purchase or bring lunch with them. They want their cabins to be available and luggage delivered by the time they board. However, at the end of the cruise they expect to be able to have a leisurely breakfast and disembark later on the whole, not all obviously, but many.

Now many other cultures expect lunch on the day of boarding, hence why they want to be on board early, but conversely they want to disembark early and commence their journey home. To many of these, the cruise ended the evening before, not the day of disembarkation. They are not bothered about cabins being ready nor luggage being delivered immediately when they board, but lunch venues must be open.

Perhaps P&O should implement a system implemented by Carnival (seeing that they are part of the Carnival corporation) where those who want to board ahead of their allotted check in time pay extra for a 'shore excursion' called 'Faster to the Fun'. This means they check in and board early, their cabins will be available ahead of the rest, and their luggage has express delivery and in most cases that means it will be outside their cabin by the time they board. This is capacity controlled, but is an additional revenue stream for the cruise line.

Key cards on the newer RCI ships are in the cabin and not distributed at check in which speeds that process up (MSC already do this on all ships).

Another item that can delay the check in process is the authorising of forms of payment. On MSC, if you are using a credit card then it is your responsibility to visit a kiosk at your leisure once on board to validate and apply that form of payment to your account. This again reduces the time needed to check someone in.

Hi, am just confused re your cruise card. When do you pick that up? Looking at the embarkation process for the Oasis of the Seas it didn't look like they went off with their cards. If you have no card, then how do you buy anything once on the ship? Is it in the cabin? Very confused.
On those ships that utilise the new technology, the key cards (like MSC do all the time) are in your cabin. If you wish to purchase anything before the cabins are available or you have collected them, then you use your boarding document you printed off when checking in online. This has a bar code and as your security photo has either been uploaded by yourself, or taken before boarding, when an employee scans or keys in your cabin number, your photo appears to them for verification.

It's worth noting (and I have said this on other occasions), the sooner the guest gets on board, the sooner they start contributing to the ancillary revenue stream by purchasing beverages at the bars and in the lounges!

On those ships that utilise the new technology, the key cards (like MSC do all the time) are in your cabin. If you wish to purchase anything before the cabins are available or you have collected them, then you use your boarding document you printed off when checking in online. This has a bar code and as your security photo has either been uploaded by yourself, or taken before boarding, when an employee scans or keys in your cabin number, your photo appears to them for verification.

It's worth noting (and I have said this on other occasions), the sooner the guest gets on board, the sooner they start contributing to the ancillary revenue stream by purchasing beverages at the bars and in the lounges!

Thanks - I really can't see why P&O don't see this and move in that direction. Like I said, they will have to review the situation when the new larger ship arrives ................................

Perhaps P&O should implement a system implemented by Carnival (seeing that they are part of the Carnival corporation) where those who want to board ahead of their allotted check in time pay extra for a 'shore excursion' called 'Faster to the Fun'. This means they check in and board early, their cabins will be available ahead of the rest, and their luggage has express delivery and in most cases that means it will be outside their cabin by the time they board. This is capacity controlled, but is an additional revenue stream for the cruise line

That's very interesting. We like to be on board for lunch as we consider that the start of the holiday. I'm always starving having travelled and don't expect to have to bring a packed lunch when I've spent thousands on a holiday! We also don't want lunch at 3pm or later as it spoils dinner. When we book a suite we really appreciate the priority boarding. When we don't, and until P&O sorts out the embarkation process to make it less of a chore, we would pay extra for a service such as this.

And around and round we go the same people saying them same thing. This has now covered all the ground the last one did.

The system works as the majority have found.

No system is perfect. I am very sure there would be a lot of upset if people had to get earlier than they do now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

That's very interesting. We like to be on board for lunch as we consider that the start of the holiday. I'm always starving having travelled and don't expect to have to bring a packed lunch when I've spent thousands on a holiday! We also don't want lunch at 3pm or later as it spoils dinner. When we book a suite we really appreciate the priority boarding. When we don't, and until P&O sorts out the embarkation process to make it less of a chore, we would pay extra for a service such as this.

What's wrong with a packed lunch? If you have travelled from the frozen north by coach , then that's what you do. And if you have booked a suite or cabin then you all embark at the same time :eek:

If you always do what you've always done, you always get what you've always got -----

That is the problem.

We LOVE P&O, but they really do need to get with it , get in to the C21st and move on with this one.

No one has told me how this antiquated system will work with a ship with 5000 passengers yet ....

And around and round we go the same people saying them same thing. This has now covered all the ground the last one did.

The system works as the majority have found.

No system is perfect. I am very sure there would be a lot of upset if people had to get earlier than they do now.

Yes, around and around it has gone flogging the same horse. I've have been amused by the comments and that's why I have added my experiences on other lines to try and open the eyes of those who have not sailed on anything other than P&O on how it can be done.

No system is perfect of course, but there are improvements that can be made. I assume you meant to say 'get off earlier' and that there would be many upset people. Well think about it, there's a lot of upset people who can't embark early. Can't have it all ways.

Yes, around and around it has gone flogging the same horse. I've have been amused by the comments and that's why I have added my experiences on other lines to try and open the eyes of those who have not sailed on anything other than P&O on how it can be done.

No system is perfect of course, but there are improvements that can be made. I assume you meant to say 'get off earlier' and that there would be many upset people. Well think about it, there's a lot of upset people who can't embark early. Can't have it all ways.

As was said in the last long thread many of the ships of other lines have many passengers who want to get off early as they have flights to catch. This making it easier to clear the ship. Secondly we have been told that on some lines you cannot get near the cabins until they are ready.

What's wrong with a packed lunch? If you have travelled from the frozen north by coach , then that's what you do. And if you have booked a suite or cabin then you all embark at the same time :eek:
What's wrong with a packed lunch? It's a packed lunch that's what's wrong with it. It's what you do? Well I don't/won't. I make and take a packed lunch to work not on holiday. I pack suitcases not a sandwich box. I also arrive the day before sailing so don't have the ability in a hotel to make a sandwich and I'm certainly not going to Greggs to pick up a pasty!:)

I've spent thousands on a 'luxury' cruise, I'm not going to a holiday camp or on a day trip to the seaside. Oops, I believe that's how some refer to Britannia :D but I'm not sailing nor intend to sail on Britannia (balconies are too small and the sun loungers are too packed together and the décor is bland).

In fact, we are cancelling one of our upcoming P&O sailings in 2018 because we are going back onto an RCI Oasis class ship. Why? Because we are coming to realise that despite the cheaper beverages on P&O (but half measures compared to RCI/Celebrity), the dress code isn't as strict (not that I experienced it that strict on Azura despite protestations on this board that everyone MUST dress in formal wear in the MDR, I did, many didn't), the embarkation process will not be a zoo and we'll be on board by 12 with a cocktail in hand, the 'freedom' dining works better than P&O, the entertainment includes Broadway shows and there are far more choices for alternative dining unlike Epicurean, Glass House and Shindu on P&O.

I'll miss a kettle in the cabin, but I can live with that.

Was at ocean terminal yesterday morning having just got off Britannia. Passengers were going up escalator at 9:45 for the next cruise. So anything P&O do to improve embarkation passengers just ignore. It's a bit like when your on a plane and as soon as the seat belt sign goes off everybody jumps up as if there is a cash prize for first 10 passengers who get off first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As was said in the last long thread many of the ships of other lines have many passengers who want to get off early as they have flights to catch. This making it easier to clear the ship. Secondly we have been told that on some lines you cannot get near the cabins until they are ready.

That's correct, as when I disembark in Southampton I'm invariably catching a flight home, in Europe the same, in the USA most transatlantic flights leave Florida in the evening, so then I still want to get off early to spend the day in Florida.

Yes, you cannot get near the cabins until they are ready, so after lunch, relax for a short while, then voila they're available. As you have pointed out many times, guests were asked if they wanted their cabins ready, so all loyalists apparently said Yes, so the current procedure was implemented to ensure cabins were available upon embarking. I don't need mine immediately.

No Cj hanlon, they are definitely not the next cruise embarking. I think you will find that they are the crew, the entertainers, day visitors etc . Most definitely not early boarders.

We are on Ventura for the first time in August so have no idea about the lay out of the ship, apart from where our cabin is. We booked our Superior Deluxe cabin last March / April and paid a Select fare.

Despite this we are guessing though that we will be boarding at 3.30pm, so, as we will have to travel down the evening before, we will no doubt have to drop our luggage off at some point late morning at the terminal and then retreat in to the town to kill some time. (Pray for nice weather). We have visited Southampton a number of times so have now seen all of the sites and done the 'things to do'. Just incase the luggage doesn't appear we make sure we put some extra bits in our rucksack and will need to take them around town with us.

Once we've finally boarded (probably 4ish) we will only have the time to find our cabin, work out where the Muster Station is and then go to Muster Drill.

Then its a rush back with the life jackets before rushing back on deck for sail away. Then, after this, if the luggage has arrived, unpacking before a dash down for the evening meal.

Compare this with 2 other cruise lines where we would check out of the hotel at about 11 a.m. and then take about 20 minutes to embark the ship. Then we would head off to explore the ship. This would probably end up with us relaxing for one drink in one of the bars (with our rucksacks admittedly). Time to chill. Cabins are normally ready for about 1.30pm / 2pm and off we would go to drop our things off and explore our new home (cabin) for 2 weeks, familiarise ourselves with the Muster Station and read all of the 'stuff' left on the bed. Our holiday has started. By the time we get to Muster Drill the luggage has arrived and been unpacked. (Admittedly this could go pear-shaped). Sailaway is relaxing and our holiday is in full swing. We feel chilled already.

Ironically, on the fly cruises you get to board as soon as you have arrived at the terminal and that seems to work fine.

Sorry, but I know which start to a cruise I would prefer --- and it doesn't involve the buffet...

It is just so frustrating when I know that 2 other cruise lines we have been on (on large ships) manage to get it right. Come on P&O, get your act together - heaven help you when the new ship comes along in 2020 with 5,000 passengers ! What time do the last people get on board then ?!

I still say that early boarding should be a perk of a Select Fare (and some tiers of passengers) or something that you can pay for as an extra if you so wish. (Like picking a specific seat on an aeroplane). At least it would seem fair.

I suppose the problem with this new system is that some people - like me - hate it and others are ok and can't understand those of us who are unhappy. (I can't understand those of you who aren't ;)) We'll all just have to agree to disagree !

I'm sorry but you've not yet had a boarding time, have assumed it will be late and crafted a complete fairy tale around what is currently a non issue!:rolleyes:

We had a 3.30 boarding time and was unpacked and in the buffet by 2.50.

I'm sorry but you've not yet had a boarding time, have assumed it will be late and crafted a complete fairy tale around what is currently a non issue!:rolleyes:

We had a 3.30 boarding time and was unpacked and in the buffet by 2.50.

Sorry but you have crafted this fairy tale re what we have posted

From everything I read we will board at 3.30pm at the earliest IF we keep to the time allotted and don't try to cheat the system. We were given 4pm on Britannia and all evidence shows that Ventura deck D superior cabins are allotted 3.30pm. Read the previous posts and others re what time deck D is given ......... do your homework like we do.

Now we could be on board by 2.50pm if we don't follow the rules ---------- what we are trying to say is that, if people keep to the rules they are disadvantaged and won't be in the buffet early (if we want to be)

Sorry, I find your post comes over rude and condescending

Edited by Presto2

No Cj hanlon, they are definitely not the next cruise embarking. I think you will find that they are the crew, the entertainers, day visitors etc . Most definitely not early boarders.

Your are quite right Scriv. We, along with about 150 others were on a ship's visit to Britannia yesterday. We were 'processed' from about 10.00 going through security and boarding by about 10.45. We didn't see any 'real' passengers until about 12.45 as we were going for lunch.

P. S. You certainly wouldn't have been allowed to board for the cruise at that stage - we were all required to present our day visitor invitation and had to present Ievidence of ID to match that previously supplied to P&O. There was no confusion/mixing of the two groups - visitors and passengers.

Was at ocean terminal yesterday morning having just got off Britannia. Passengers were going up escalator at 9:45 for the next cruise. So anything P&O do to improve embarkation passengers just ignore. It's a bit like when your on a plane and as soon as the seat belt sign goes off everybody jumps up as if there is a cash prize for first 10 passengers who get off first.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most if not all ships when in Southampton have groups of people boarding for a half day visit at about that time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sorry but you have crafted this fairy tale re what we have posted

From everything I read we will board at 3.30pm at the earliest IF we keep to the time allotted and don't try to cheat the system. We were given 4pm on Britannia and all evidence shows that Ventura deck D superior cabins are allotted 3.30pm. Read the previous posts and others re what time deck D is given ......... do your homework like we do.

Now we could be on board by 2.50pm if we don't follow the rules ---------- what we are trying to say is that, if people keep to the rules they are disadvantaged and won't be in the buffet early (if we want to be)

Sorry, I find your post comes over rude and condescending

Homework done...

The thread is titled 'Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences'.....not 'Embarkation Times - What Might Happen'

See me after class:p