Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

If the thread has now moved to food(?) I felt the food on Britannia was not as good as our previous cruises on her. Not a lot of choices in the buffet at lunch/dinner for both hot and cold choices. Lots of roast lamb which was a bit repetitive. The soups were still tasty but lots of tomato type soups. Limited choices for desert. Even the tandoori/ curry /thai nights were lacking in selection choice. In the MDR I didn't find the menu as pleasing as in September. The menus had merged into one large one with P and O staples such as prawn cocktail, chicken, steak etc...still present but I didn't feel the choice was as good. Rather than battle with the 5.30 queues for the 6pm dinner and the rush to get into the shows we would go down and peruse the menu and if there was nothing jumping out and grabbing us so to speak we would go into the speciality restaurants. Sindhu was amazing as usual and the Beach House had improved no end. The huge huge portions changed to more acceptable sizes and improved presentation. Bit disappointed really but on a good note only put on 2 pounds in a two week cruise!

The MDR menus changed again an this time to something like they have been before with starters soups and mains with a range of ever present.

Of course they are the same over the while fleet.

And yes we are now way off topic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If the thread has now moved to food(?) I felt the food on Britannia was not as good as our previous cruises on her. Not a lot of choices in the buffet at lunch/dinner for both hot and cold choices. Lots of roast lamb which was a bit repetitive. The soups were still tasty but lots of tomato type soups. Limited choices for desert. Even the tandoori/ curry /thai nights were lacking in selection choice. In the MDR I didn't find the menu as pleasing as in September. The menus had merged into one large one with P and O staples such as prawn cocktail, chicken, steak etc...still present but I didn't feel the choice was as good. Rather than battle with the 5.30 queues for the 6pm dinner and the rush to get into the shows we would go down and peruse the menu and if there was nothing jumping out and grabbing us so to speak we would go into the speciality restaurants. Sindhu was amazing as usual and the Beach House had improved no end. The huge huge portions changed to more acceptable sizes and improved presentation. Bit disappointed really but on a good note only put on 2 pounds in a two week cruise!

Have now lost the plot

I shall endeavour to get this thread back to its intended topic.

We are boarding Aurora next Saturday from Mayflower Cruise Terminal. This will be the first P&O cruise in 4 years that we haven't had a Suite and enjoyed Priority Boarding. In fact, the last time we did a P&O cruise from Mayflower without priority boarding was 8 years ago. So, having read this thread with interest I shall be keeping a close eye on things! We have a 2.30pm boarding slot and shall probably arrive an hour or so ahead of that, in the full expectation that we will have to wait (we shall bring a book / newspaper to pass the time). I have a very basic question regarding general (non-priority) boarding at Mayflower.

Is it the case that you are given a coloured number or letter when you arrive, sit down and then wait to be called to the check-in desks? If so, does it mean that when you have checked in you then go straight to the ship (via security) or do you then have to sit back down again and wait to be called for boarding. In other words, do you wait just once or twice? Or do you join a check in queue when you arrive (even if you are early) and then sit down and wait until your time slot to board?

We will also be using assisted boarding for the first time. Is the process any different (other than obviously waiting for an assistance porter to push the wheelchair) than self boarding? Thanks.

I shall endeavour to get this thread back to its intended topic.

Is it the case that you are given a coloured number or letter when you arrive, sit down and then wait to be called to the check-in desks? If so, does it mean that when you have checked in you then go straight to the ship (via security) or do you then have to sit back down again and wait to be called for boarding. In other words, do you wait just once or twice? Or do you join a check in queue when you arrive (even if you are early) and then sit down and wait until your time slot to board?

We will also be using assisted boarding for the first time. Is the process any different (other than obviously waiting for an assistance porter to push the wheelchair) than self boarding? Thanks.

We only have one experience of Mayflower, but it was post the new system. You are given coloured alpha cards and you wait until called forward before going to check in, but once that's complete you go straight to security and then onto the ship. This process was for standard passengers, although my wife is in a wheelchair we rarely use assistance, so I cannot be certain if the card system will be identical, if its like Ocean there will be some designated assistance desks so boarding could be faster or slower dependant on numbers.

We only have one experience of Mayflower, but it was post the new system. You are given coloured alpha cards and you wait until called forward before going to check in, but once that's complete you go straight to security and then onto the ship. This process was for standard passengers, although my wife is in a wheelchair we rarely use assistance, so I cannot be certain if the card system will be identical, if its like Ocean there will be some designated assistance desks so boarding could be faster or slower dependant on numbers.

Many thanks John. We are in the same position as you (my wife is in a wheelchair). We have used assisted disembarkation (which is a godsend) but have always boarded ourselves as, since my wife has been in a wheelchair, we have always had priority boarding. As we don't qualify this time, the assistance will be appreciated as my wife gets uneasy in very crowded situations and as it's a longer cruise I am likely to be carrying hand luggage. All I hope is that we don't end up getting on later than if we had struggled on ourselves!

In Mayflower if getting assistance you do not collect a card as the waiting area is before the ladies with the cards. There is a list and you check with the person with the list. They will add your name if not on the list your embarkation time is also noted.

Your boarding time will be in the order of your embarkation time but not necessarily at that time. That will be determined by the number of chairs, and pushers. This could be affected by the number of ships in port.

This system is also used for getting off at the end.

This is my experience of not assisted boarding at the Mayflower. Once your number is called you can join the short queue to check in. There was a another small queue at each check in desk. Then a small queue to enter security and finally a small queue for each scanner. We then walked on to the ship. Twenty five minutes from our number being called to walking in to the atrium on the ship.

Best wishes,Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

and as it's a longer cruise I am likely to be carrying hand luggage. All I hope is that we don't end up getting on later than if we had struggled on ourselves!

Selbourne, I have a Simplantex handle bar clip on back pack for the wheelchair which we use use as the main carry on bag for essentials, breakables and valuables, its amazing just how much it holds. All our overnight things that we might need for our hotel stay we put in a small cabin luggage bag and this we send with all our bigger cases with the porters. That leaves me with both hands free to push the wheelchair and I can easily clip off the back pack to go onto the security belt, and of course it leaves the assistance staff with only the more frail passengers to help.

Selbourne, I have a Simplantex handle bar clip on back pack for the wheelchair which we use use as the main carry on bag for essentials, breakables and valuables, its amazing just how much it holds. All our overnight things that we might need for our hotel stay we put in a small cabin luggage bag and this we send with all our bigger cases with the porters. That leaves me with both hands free to push the wheelchair and I can easily clip off the back pack to go onto the security belt, and of course it leaves the assistance staff with only the more frail passengers to help.

Interesting. I might have to look into one of those, although I doubt I will be able to get one in time for this cruise. This might be an impossible question to answer, but would it be your assessment that you get on quicker by pushing the chair yourself rather than using assistance?

Have now got out coach pick up time for the end of the month. It says that we are due to get to the ship at 2.30pm. Do we then just follow the normal boarding queues and collect our card / number?

Our boarding time is 3.30pm so am guessing that this is when we will board anyway now.

Interesting. I might have to look into one of those, although I doubt I will be able to get one in time for this cruise. This might be an impossible question to answer, but would it be your assessment that you get on quicker by pushing the chair yourself rather than using assistance?

I think the answer to that is the usual conundrum of "how long is a piece of string". I guess the reason I prefer DIY is that I like to think I am in control, rather than having to wait for someone else to decide for me.

Presto, you should get priority boarding once your coach arrives and not have to wait until 3:30.

Have now got out coach pick up time for the end of the month. It says that we are due to get to the ship at 2.30pm. Do we then just follow the normal boarding queues and collect our card / number?

Our boarding time is 3.30pm so am guessing that this is when we will board anyway now.

Which coach is it the P&O one or Eavesway. The first gives you embarkation on arrival the second not.

At least I have not read comments from Eavesway customers who have had embarkation on arrival.

Selbourne

Providing you have registered that you need assistance on boarding, your name will be on the list and you do not take any card you will sit right there by the blue coated man/woman if there is no one there you will go on straightaway (as we did for Azura) if there are say 10/12 people there you could be 30 to 45 minutes (again as we were on Brittania) they do not appear to take any notice of the check in time.

We have a check in time of 2.40 in a few weeks time will arrive at the port about 1 pm by the time we have got through CPS and in the terminal about 1.30 and see what happens.

Disembarking is great we are on Arcadia in a few weks we will go to the pub and then you get called in order (apart from anyone on the coaches) we always grab a porter so 3 people find the luggage straight to car if there is a queue for the car keys my wife gets in the queue with the spare get I get the luggage loaded with the porter by that time usually they are back with the other key and of we go.

Hope that helps

When your coach arrives you are given a letter card plus the medical disclaimer as you get off. You then go upstairs. There is usually time to go to the toilet before you are called.

Selbourne

Providing you have registered that you need assistance on boarding, your name will be on the list and you do not take any card you will sit right there by the blue coated man/woman if there is no one there you will go on straightaway (as we did for Azura) if there are say 10/12 people there you could be 30 to 45 minutes (again as we were on Brittania) they do not appear to take any notice of the check in time.

We have a check in time of 2.40 in a few weeks time will arrive at the port about 1 pm by the time we have got through CPS and in the terminal about 1.30 and see what happens.

Disembarking is great we are on Arcadia in a few weks we will go to the pub and then you get called in order (apart from anyone on the coaches) we always grab a porter so 3 people find the luggage straight to car if there is a queue for the car keys my wife gets in the queue with the spare get I get the luggage loaded with the porter by that time usually they are back with the other key and of we go.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your reply - very helpful. Quick question. What's the process for check-in for those requiring assistance? Do you check-in straight away when you arrive and then return to the assistance area to wait for someone to board you? Or do you have to wait until you are told you can check-in and then wait again for the assistance? Thanks.

We also use one of these bags and bought ours from our local mobility shop. Enjoy your cruise.

When your coach arrives you are given a letter card plus the medical disclaimer as you get off. You then go upstairs. There is usually time to go to the toilet before you are called.

Good grief, that sounds quick. I was expecting to just join the queue with everyone else. With the sun shining today we're now getting very excited :)

Which coach is it the P&O one or Eavesway. The first gives you embarkation on arrival the second not.

At least I have not read comments from Eavesway customers who have had embarkation on arrival.

Sorry, just seen this. Have just checked the paper work and it just says Intercruises and travelling on a P&O Cruise transfer. Haven't really got a clue what the difference is as we've never done it this way before.

Sorry, just seen this. Have just checked the paper work and it just says Intercruises and travelling on a P&O Cruise transfer. Haven't really got a clue what the difference is as we've never done it this way before.

You will be fine then, whatever it says on your ETicket you will board on arrival anther terminal.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Presto,

We have used the coach several times. I assume that you will be going from Keele, we found that Intercruises tend to arrive early at Keele and leave as soon as everyone is on board. Last year we were dropped off by my niece about 1 hour early because she had to get to work in Stafford and the coach was already waiting, we left 20 minutes later. The latest we have left Keele was 15 minutes before the scheduled time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Presto,

We have used the coach several times. I assume that you will be going from Keele, we found that Intercruises tend to arrive early at Keele and leave as soon as everyone is on board. Last year we were dropped off by my niece about 1 hour early because she had to get to work in Stafford and the coach was already waiting, we left 20 minutes later. The latest we have left Keele was 15 minutes before the scheduled time.

Enjoy your cruise.

Oh right - the time given is 10 am so what time would you suggest we arrive? We have friends dropping us off. I think we will be dropped off at the barrier on 3 Mile Lane. Is that close to where the coach picks up? Feel a bit at a loss with this one as have not got a clue where the coach pick up point is.

Thanks for your reply - very helpful. Quick question. What's the process for check-in for those requiring assistance? Do you check-in straight away when you arrive and then return to the assistance area to wait for someone to board you? Or do you have to wait until you are told you can check-in and then wait again for the assistance? Thanks.

Wheelchair assistance is right near the entrance door. You wait until there is a pusher allocated to you by the lady with the clipboard (hope you have better luck than we had!) - then the 'pusher' takes you up to check-in and then through security, oop the gangway and onto the vessel. If you are lucky enough to be able to push the wheelchair and not have to wait for a pusher, inevitably it is usually quicker.

Fortunately, in two weeks time we will be back on Celebrity and treated like all other disabled passengers and not at the mercy of those who have paid more!! We will obviously have to wait, but at least all are equal!! Dreading Christmas with the P&O boarding system.

Celebrity's operation has a certain grace which we found totally lacking in P&O. Hard to put a finger on it - although the entertainment was better on P&O. Perhaps its because the Americans have higher expectations of service standards.

I agree, our boarding lacked grace. It is hard to put your finger on it. It worked as designed. Very efficient. Taylorism in applied to customer service. Very like an airport. If I wanted to be treated like that I would fly. Not like the rest of the cruise at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's an interesting view I hadn't thought about before. The check in and boarding experience cannot be divorced from the cruise itself. At an airport the check in and security is pretty universal across all passengers. At a cruise terminal it is within the control of the cruise line and if you are boarding a 4 star cruise line you would expect a 4 star boarding procedure. Perhaps that's why Celebrity has a 5 star boarding experience being a 5 star cruise line. In any case, it shows check in and boarding is within the remit of the cruise line and not restricted by the cruise port management. The cruise line can define the speed and effectiveness of their own check in and boarding procedures but dependent on how much they want to pay for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh right - the time given is 10 am so what time would you suggest we arrive? We have friends dropping us off. I think we will be dropped off at the barrier on 3 Mile Lane. Is that close to where the coach picks up? Feel a bit at a loss with this one as have not got a clue where the coach pick up point is.

I would probably arrive 15 - 20 minutes early. If you go through the barrier on 3 Mile Lane and just walk down to the car park towards the building you will see where the coaches pick up. I have never actually walked down but we did go down in a car once (a friend of my sister told her the code to open the barrier), it is only a very short distance probable 2-3 minutes to walk.