Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

It does seem to me that there appear to be a lot of "professional" wingers on this thread. When I get on board, having had a reasonable embarkation nobody seems to be whining about how long it took them to embark. It does seem odd to me that people with arrival times in the afternoon expect to get on board at an earlier time.

After all if you had an appointment (lets say at the dentist) for 3:30 would you expect to turn up at 12:20 and get seen? If you had a flight at 3.30 would you expect to arrive at the airport early and get on an earlier flight? Do you arrive at a restaurant with a table booked for 7:30 and expect to get served at 5:30? If you have tickets for an evening performance in the theatre do you arrive for the matinee and expect to get in?

So why do you arrive early for embarkation and expect to get on board before your allotted time. Seems to me that is arrogance in that extreme. Just arrange to get there when you are expected to. Simples!!

Peter and Jenny

Not sure that your analogies work P&J?

My dentist is 10 minutes up the road and if i'm late i'll most likely still be seen or can cancel and see another day. I/we do have to arrive at the airport earlier than the flights scheduled departure and are well served in terms of restaurants, shops and other ways of killing time.

No, I don't arrive at a restaurant hours earlier as we tend to book when we want to eat.:halo:

None of the above require several hours travel time or cost many thousands of pounds.

If you ever sit 10 cars back from an accident on the M25 waiting for the air ambulance and emergency services to clear a route to Gatwick Airport when your flight leaves in an hour you'll soon develop a desire to arrive early.

Arriving early doesn't mean expecting to embark early;)

Lots of people here are arguing people want to arrive early but don't want to board early. Surely the answer is to provide them with somewhere comfortable to wait but not allow them to start any part of the embarkation process until (almost) their allocated time. If they don't want to board early, they won't mind this and they won't put any extra pressure on the staff or impact passengers who are arriving on time for an allocated time that is earlier than the early-arrivers have, so everybody is happy!

Lots of people here are arguing people want to arrive early but don't want to board early. Surely the answer is to provide them with somewhere comfortable to wait but not allow them to start any part of the embarkation process until (almost) their allocated time. If they don't want to board early, they won't mind this and they won't put any extra pressure on the staff or impact passengers who are arriving on time for an allocated time that is earlier than the early-arrivers have, so everybody is happy!

Quite agree, I mentioned in a previous post about Airport terminals mass waiting areas, sub waiting areas and embarkation waiting areas.....but I do loathe Airports, I have no problems with Flights its just the whole Airport experience is horrible imho...especially delayed Flights, it gives me the shivers just thinking about it.:D:D

Not sure that your analogies work P&J?

My dentist is 10 minutes up the road and if i'm late i'll most likely still be seen or can cancel and see another day. I/we do have to arrive at the airport earlier than the flights scheduled departure and are well served in terms of restaurants, shops and other ways of killing time.

No, I don't arrive at a restaurant hours earlier as we tend to book when we want to eat.:halo:

None of the above require several hours travel time or cost many thousands of pounds.

If you ever sit 10 cars back from an accident on the M25 waiting for the air ambulance and emergency services to clear a route to Gatwick Airport when your flight leaves in an hour you'll soon develop a desire to arrive early.

Arriving early doesn't mean expecting to embark early;)

If you read my earlier post you would see that we make a point of arriving the day before and taking it easy in a Soton hotel so hold ups on the roads are no problem (though the drive from west Cornwall is!!). The time we didn't , in Brisbane with RCI it was a horror story. P and O good, RCI not so good. We are on Thompsons next flying out to Montego Bay. It's a first for us but with the all inclusive and tips included in the price we might just like it after 12 cruises with P and O.

Peter and Jenny

PS we are back on Adonia September 18!!

Good shout...

For any number of reasons people 'have' to arrive early whereas the desire to board early probably comes down to 3 things.

1. Unpacking

2. Exploring the ship

3. Eating for free at a reasonable time, assuming most think that 4pm is a bit late for lunch and too early for dinner. Having a drink...

An expensive and logistical nightmare but if the 'ships buffet' was made available on dry land prior to passengers being processed maybe, just maybe the desire to get onboard quickly would be reduced?

Passengers could be fed and watered, even sold to - excursions, drinks packages, products etc., in this warm and comfortable holding area.

Although extra comfort and facilities at the terminal would be lovely for those of us who are happy to wait if we arrive early, I can't really see it reducing the desire of those who want to get on-board as soon as they arrive at the terminal regardless of how early they are.

Edited by Scriv

Like many people we arrive early because we have to travel on motorways and do not want to be held up and miss the ship. We frequently drive down the night before but then we have a check out time from the hotel so again (because we like C deck on Ventura and Azura we are often given a 15:30 boarding time) we arrive early at the terminal. We could walk around Southampton but we have done that several times and are not comfortable leaving our valuables in our car on a public car park.

We are happy to sit and read in the terminal until 15:30 because we have been on all of P&O's ships except Oriana so we do not need to explore, we do not like the bun fight in the buffet so never go there. I do however believe that we are in the minority so I am not convinced that allowing people to arrive early but not board would work given the number of people who say that they want to board so that they can explore the ship and go to the buffet for lunch.

If people who arrive early don't want to board early, then waiting in a comfortable area for their allocated time will be OK. If, however, they arrive early to get on early, then they should respect everybody else, stick to the rules (by all means lobby to get them changed) and stop being selfish.

Under the current "rules" I would personally settle for actually getting onboard at the time P&O allocated me but that was not my experience - having done as instructed we were very much later onboard than our allocated time and then harassed to get to muster drill.

We stuck to the rules and it did us precious little good. Those who have later times get pushed to the back if the coaches arrive. Perhaps if some of those commenting on here had ever experienced how harassing it is to have a late afternoon boarding they would be more empathetic.

We have a 9 hour drive. If work allows we fly or drive down the day before, if it does not then we make the journey. A 9 hour journey requires several hours contingency as there are multiple potentials for hold ups, road works, crashes etc. P&O know that many of their passengers have very long journeys to make so in terms of good customer service they should try to make embarcation as pleasant and speedy as possible and in my opinion and experience of the new system to date, they don't. RCI and Celebrity by comparison do.

I have personally lobbied the company via feedback forms as I am sure others have as well.

We will never all agree on this, some people on here can see no wrong in anything P&O do and others can see no good. Personally I see it simply as a customer service issue, why make people hang around when you don't have to (as evidenced by other companies doing it so much better).

Our next cruise out of Southampton, we have an embark time of 2:30pm. Always one who likes to buck the trend, we may well arrive 'late' at the terminal as we have a lunch date at The Vestry for 1:00pm. After enjoying a delicious meal on a table for two with terrific waiter service, we shall saunter over to the terminal for embark. No sniping, no whinging, no wasting time just sitting around waiting, getting all agitated. Just a lovely relaxing start to the holiday.

We've sailed Celebrity and RCI (the rudest embark ever!); we've sailed from Southampton as Suite passengers and the buffet really is under-whelming. IMHO, don't worry about your embark time; just find a way to enjoy yourselves from the minute you leave home :)

We've sailed Celebrity and RCI (the rudest embark ever!); we've sailed from Southampton as Suite passengers and the buffet really is under-whelming. IMHO, don't worry about your embark time; just find a way to enjoy yourselves from the minute you leave home :)

I would be interested to hear why you considered RCI check in to be the rudest ever.

But a lot of us have experienced late afternoon boarding times, Eglesbrech - but simply do not share your opinion that it's a big deal. However, I do fully empathise with you that you boarded a lot later than your allocated time for some reason. That must have been very frustrating, but these things do happen on travels. And at least you know that you will get on board and that the ship is not going anywhere without you - and it is infinitely better than an airport experience.

Edited by Scriv

But a lot of us have experienced late afternoon boarding times, Eglesbrech - but simply do not share your opinion that it's a big deal. However, I do fully empathise with you that you boarded a lot later than your allocated time for some reason. That must have been very frustrating, but these things do happen on travels. And at least you know that you will get on board and that the ship is not going anywhere without you - and it is infinitely better than an airport experience.

Having a cold is better than having flu, but neither option is particularly appealing.

We all have the things that annoy us and late boarding is just one of mine I suppose, particularly after a very long journey. I hear others sound off about things on other threads that I think are pretty trivial but obviously bugs them so I can understand why you think this is no big deal to you.

Actually if I had to pick I prefer the airport experience as there are lots of lovely shops, a nice champagne bar and a Waterstons. Waiting seems less onerous when you can indulge in some retail therapy and fizz

For exactly the same reason my husband prefers the cruise port as I have less opportunity for retail therapy!:)

I think I wil lobby P&O for a champagne bar in the waiting area!:halo: Increase their profits and keep customers mellow at the same time when there are delays.

I think I wil lobby P&O for a champagne bar in the waiting area!:halo: Increase their profits and keep customers mellow at the same time when there are delays.

That's a great idea, and I think it should be free:halo: that would really encourage P&O to speed up boarding.;p

Great ideas in the above two posts re a champagne bar!! I am a simple lady - give me a glass of fizz and I will be very patient lol. I also have a suggestion - how about you get free champagne if you have to wait beyond your time in the terminal up to the time you board???

Actually if I had to pick I prefer the airport experience as there are lots of lovely shops, a nice champagne bar and a Waterstons. Waiting seems less onerous when you can indulge in some retail therapy and fizz

And at an airport you could use one of the executive lounges for a nominal fee if your frequent flyer loyalty level or fare class doesn't provide it for free. That's what we do.

Great ideas in the above two posts re a champagne bar!! I am a simple lady - give me a glass of fizz and I will be very patient lol. I also have a suggestion - how about you get free champagne if you have to wait beyond your time in the terminal up to the time you board???
Sail Celebrity and you get one as you embark ;)

And at an airport you could use one of the executive lounges for a nominal fee if your frequent flyer loyalty level or fare class doesn't provide it for free. That's what we do.

Sail Celebrity and you get one as you embark ;)

I now qualify for my free glass of champagne as we sail away - but was thinking of this champagne bar idea as an extra before we start to embark to keep us happy. And they won't want to keep us delayed too long as it will be costly if it's free once into 'Extra Time' .

Great idea; it should mean that excessive waiting is rare and only caused by genuine circumstances beyond the company's control!

I like the sound of that. Good customer service if you board on time and if you don't.

I now qualify for my free glass of champagne as we sail away - but was thinking of this champagne bar idea as an extra before we start to embark to keep us happy. And they won't want to keep us delayed too long as it will be costly if it's free once into 'Extra Time' .
Celebrity don't discriminate and all passengers get a glass ;)

Nothing is ever free .... you pay for it in the cost of the cruise we reckon. We do like the drinks and ice flannel on return to the ship though. Nice touch when it is baking hot ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Forums mobile app

Just remembered the ice flannels and looking forward to these in a few days time.