Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

As far as I remember nobody who has arrived a short while before their allocated time has said how long they have waited.

The only thing I would say is that there does appear to be a lot of people who go early and when P&O stick to boarding times then they are criticised and when they don't then it backfires on them. I don't know the answer but I just get the feeling that if they allowed boarding at a much earlier time then all the passengers would turn up then and the same problem would result.

Surely the only solution is to allocate a boarding time and stick to it.

Totally agree.

Those who feel P&O's embarkation arrangements are poor - and there are many - compared with other cruise lines from Southampton are surely entitled to say so. There is absolutely no point in those who defend P&O's arrangements saying people should turn up on time when it is not convenient to do so. Those who are ejected from their hotels rooms early on the day of the ship's departure and those who have to rely on public transport simply can't magic an arrival time out of the air. If there are no trains from sleepy Devon or elsewhere to coincide with the expected arrival time you have no option other than to arrive at the terminal early. P&O's own coaches don't go anywhere near some areas of the country so what are you expected to do? Two years ago the arrangements were satisfactory. Now they are not and the system must change if P&O are as customer focused as they want us to believe.

The problem is due to P&O's decision to ensure all cabins are ready by the time passengers embark but many people would probably prefer to board earlier and have a drink or lunch rather than hang around in a busy terminal especially those who travel long distances. Of course those who live within easy reach of Southampton can time their arrival to coincide with the embarkation time on our e tickets but that isn't the point. The simple point is P&O need to start the boarding process earlier and not wait until 1pm before anyone can get onboard.

My bet is that the questionnaires we fill in at the end of the cruise are littered with complaints about embarkation and I would expect P&O to do something about it.

Those who feel P&O's embarkation arrangements are poor - and there are many - compared with other cruise lines from Southampton are surely entitled to say so. There is absolutely no point in those who defend P&O's arrangements saying people should turn up on time when it is not convenient to do so. Those who are ejected from their hotels rooms early on the day of the ship's departure and those who have to rely on public transport simply can't magic an arrival time out of the air. If there are no trains from sleepy Devon or elsewhere to coincide with the expected arrival time you have no option other than to arrive at the terminal early. P&O's own coaches don't go anywhere near some areas of the country so what are you expected to do? Two years ago the arrangements were satisfactory. Now they are not and the system must change if P&O are as customer focused as they want us to believe.

The problem is due to P&O's decision to ensure all cabins are ready by the time passengers embark but many people would probably prefer to board earlier and have a drink or lunch rather than hang around in a busy terminal especially those who travel long distances. Of course those who live within easy reach of Southampton can time their arrival to coincide with the embarkation time on our e tickets but that isn't the point. The simple point is P&O need to start the boarding process earlier and not wait until 1pm before anyone can get onboard.

My bet is that the questionnaires we fill in at the end of the cruise are littered with complaints about embarkation and I would expect P&O to do something about it.

Nobody has questioned your right to pass your opinion but I also have the same right. I wasn't defending P&O. I was saying that way too many passengers arrive at the terminal 2 and 3 hours before boarding and expect to get on. What would they do if they were flying to meet the cruise?

Nobody has questioned your right to pass your opinion but I also have the same right. I wasn't defending P&O. I was saying that way too many passengers arrive at the terminal 2 and 3 hours before boarding and expect to get on. What would they do if they were flying to meet the cruise?

Exactly. The problem is P&O start boarding late unlike other cruise lines. The majority are not flying to meet the cruise so your point is not relevant to those who cruise from Southampton? This discussion is about boarding a ship in Southampton which many people choose to do in order to avoid sitting around in terminal buildings waiting for a flight. Now with P&O we have to sit around in a terminal building waiting to board a ship which removes the advantage of travelling from Southampton.

The basic point you seem to be missing is that if other cruise lines adopt satisfactory boarding arrangements why can't P&O?

There seems little point in arguing this point with you if you don't understand the basic reason for customers complaints. That is my last word on this matter as any further discussion on this point is futile.

Exactly. The problem is P&O start boarding late unlike other cruise lines. The majority are not flying to meet the cruise so your point is not relevant to those who cruise from Southampton? This discussion is about boarding a ship in Southampton which many people choose to do in order to avoid sitting around in terminal buildings waiting for a flight. Now with P&O we have to sit around in a terminal building waiting to board a ship which removes the advantage of travelling from Southampton.

The basic point you seem to be missing is that if other cruise lines adopt satisfactory boarding arrangements why can't P&O?

There seems little point in arguing this point with you if you don't understand the basic reason for customers complaints. That is my last word on this matter as any further discussion on this point is futile.

Sorry I don't agree with you but I am entitled to a different opinion. If you read my posts you'll not see anywhere that I say P&O's embarkation system is satisfactory.

Just to throw my tuppence worth into the melting pot...

My personal view is that the boarding arrangements are "satisfactory". You are given a boarding time and, subject to anything going drastically wrong, you are boarding on or around your time. They are not "fabulous" ....because people can't actually board when they want to. They aren't "awful"...because there is somewhere to wait and light refreshments are available.

As to why PandO cant do the same as other lines, I havent a clue. Maybe they have different staffing arrangements ( I do know that for cruises where there are a large number of cabin staff changes the change over time is 11-30. Southampton is the change over port)

I wonder if it something is to do with Ship visits....maybe that is why sometimes people can get on early and other times not. Most other cruise lines do not do regular ship visits in Southampton. Cunard do, and they have the same embarkation arrangements as P &O.

Or is it because Southampton is PandOs "home" port...maybe they have a different SLA to those who just use the Port less regularly...and who pay more for the privilege...?

We can speculate till the cows come home...but all I can say if the embarkation arrangements are such a big deal that they really spoil your cruise......well then cruise with other companies.

It certainly isnt a deal breaker for me personally although of course I would like to be on board as early as I can.

But, as I have said before, as long as I am on board when the ship sails and have a glass of fizz or red in my hand, I will be content.

We can speculate till the cows come home...but all I can say if the embarkation arrangements are such a big deal that they really spoil your cruise......well then cruise with other companies.

It certainly isnt a deal breaker for me personally although of course I would like to be on board as early as I can.

But, as I have said before, as long as I am on board when the ship sails and have a glass of fizz or red in my hand, I will be content.

BUT the issue is that it is for some ----- and no we don't want to cruise with another lines!

A good company always evaluates what works and what doesn't and takes into account the views of customers does the best it can. I really don't think P&O have done this and their embarkation process is not the best. We love P&O so don't want to change at all and will put up with the present system. Surely we shouldn't be 'putting up' with a 2nd class system? Cruises are not cheap holidays and in the C21st they need to move with the times.

Sorry, this whole issues really annoys me and is one of the few issues that I get wound up about.

Keep promising to 'sit on my hands' when I read this thread, but it never seems to work ;-)

We can still be 'friends' though - difference of opinion :-)

BUT the issue is that it is for some ----- and no we don't want to cruise with another lines!

A good company always evaluates what works and what doesn't and takes into account the views of customers does the best it can. I really don't think P&O have done this and their embarkation process is not the best. We love P&O so don't want to change at all and will put up with the present system. Surely we shouldn't be 'putting up' with a 2nd class system? Cruises are not cheap holidays and in the C21st they need to move with the times.

Sorry, this whole issues really annoys me and is one of the few issues that I get wound up about.

Keep promising to 'sit on my hands' when I read this thread, but it never seems to work ;-)

Whatever time you get on board I hope you have a fabulous holiday. :)

Whatever time you get on board I hope you have a fabulous holiday. :)

We are going by coach this weekend for the first time so it will be interesting :-)

August, am guessing a late embarkation.

Will we have a great time? You bet !

Thanks for your kind wishes :):):)

I wonder if the number of stewards P&O employ has anything to do with it?

Let me explain, my 'other' cruise line has your cabin ready when you board the ship. They have the advantage that they know the expected arrival times of the passengers as the overwhelming majority are flying in via the associated airline. The stewards (they work in pairs) prepare the cabins in flight arrival order. When they base a ship in the UK (Newcastle this year and Newcastle/Southampton next year) boarding is between noon and 4pm, turn up when you like. So they must have sufficient stewards to prepare all the cabins by 12 noon.

Do P&O have enough stewards to achieve a noon target?

Last point first.....of course! :D

I dont disagree with you either, their system isnt the best!

Also , I dont think I have read anywhere from your goodself that the embarkation actually spoils your cruise ...like me, you like /love P &O and "put up " with the system.

My comment was directed at the few who rant unreasonably and say it spoils their entire cruise...in which case they definately should go and cruise with someone else.....why pay good money to have a miserable holiday.....;p

Have a great cruise this weekend!

We are going by coach this weekend for the first time so it will be interesting :-)

August, am guessing a late embarkation.

Will we have a great time? You bet !

Thanks for your kind wishes :):):)

I thought that when coaches arrive, they get priority and you don't have to go by your boarding time on e-tickets.

But have a great time, the weather looks great let's hope it continues.

I thought that when coaches arrive, they get priority and you don't have to go by your boarding time on e-tickets.

The coaches do "get processed" as soon as they arrive. The time on the e-ticket doesn't matter.

What a pleasant change it is to see people having completely different views and expressing them without them being offensive.

Agree entirely however some of the problem is not always the points of view, it is this particular method of expressing them.

Yes some people are just plain rude and sarcastic at times on here but I put my hands up and say that I managed to offend someone on another thread a few weeks ago when that was certainly not my intention. I apologised as the comment genuinely wasn't meant to offend anyone but on re reading it I could see how it could be taken that way.

If you were talking to someone they would see from body language, tone of voice etc that while you disagreed you were still being polite and friendly. This is like email, people can only read what you write and if you articulate it in the wrong way it can cause offence.

Glad we came over as happy cruisers - like the post above we have upset people as they have read something not intended in to our post. Not sure what you can do about that

Have just watched the 'Keeping up Appearances' episode where they go Cunard and will watch 'Carry on Cruising' tomorrow ready for Sunday.

They just make us smile as we see ourselves in both films in parts !!!!!

Happy cruising everyone -

To be honest we would be happy on the ship whatever .... I may be grumpy waiting to get on late but would live with it. After this week it has reminded us that far worse things can happen ....

To be honest we would be happy on the ship whatever .... I may be grumpy waiting to get on late but would live with it. After this week it has reminded us that far worse things can happen ....

Well said, we have had 15:30 boarding time for call but 1 of our cruises since this system started but is an irritation nit a deal breaker. We get to the terminal dependant on what ever time hotels kick us out or traffic gets us there, if we are early we may moan to each other but we sit and read until we are called. Luckily, provided the upcoming Peninsula Club changes don't affect the early board privilege, we will be able to board early for our future cruises as we have managed to reach Caribbean level.

Enjoy you cruise next week :D:D:D

On my first cruise with P&O (first ever too) we had a boarding time of 3pm. This didn't come through to us until after I'd booked our rail travel down, which I'd booked for much earlier in the day, as hubby was excited to be there 'as soon as possible'. We arrived at Mayflower just after 1pm. We fully expected to wait until 3pm to board, and took advantage of a seat where I could people watch (guilty as charged) and the free magazines on offer. Very surprised to be called through at 1:40ish and were on board, and in our cabin by 2pm.

Very thrilled to be on-board early, but, I would have been prepared (and happy) to wait until 3pm. I do understand that first day of the holiday means we all want to be on board as early as possible - and very interesting to read this is do-able from other lines, but my holiday starts from the moment I wake up, and I count traveling down as all part of the fun. I do, however, fully understand how people would become frustrated to be kept waiting in excess of their boarding time - that's no fun, and would hope that any company would endeavour to help smooth this over with good customer service.

Anyway - very much looking forward to our next two cruises, but starting to suffer cruise envy, as they are not until September 2018.... how long to wait....

I do not understand how people can get uptight about at most a couple of hours at the start of their holiday.

We have never waited more than 45 mins to board at Southampton.

I would challenge any line to better POs boarding in Barbados !

We were on Ventura at new year.

Our time was 3 pm which i thought was a mistake so we left West Quay premier inn at 12 and got taxi to port.

As Atlantic members we didn't get priority but were given a red card with a letter on and told to wait.

It took about 30 minutes before our letter was called then we went to check in and 20 minutes later we were getting on Ventura.