Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

I haven't been allocated a boarding time yet. However as this is my first time , are the passengers on the coach we are going on all allocated the same time whether you have a suite or something else (like me !!)

Interesting question:D

I haven't been allocated a boarding time yet. However as this is my first time , are the passengers on the coach we are going on all allocated the same time whether you have a suite or something else (like me !!)

From what I understand coach passengers are check in immediately upon arrival, regardless of what their e-ticket says.

There doesn't seem to be a pattern, they say they do it by deck but no two embarkations seem to be the same.

It's deck by deck, but I also think cabin grade comes into it.

However I'd think that for the same ship the times should be the same for each cruise.

Thanks for the answers.

I have been reading the thread and probably wouldn't have had a problem if I did have to wait. You have to wait at an airport and if there is a delay , it could be some time. I just go with the flow. We would all get on board eventually..........

I would agree if it wasn't for the fact that RCI and Celebrity let you on when you arrive - it is possible - P&O for reasons known only to them choose to operate an inferior system

There doesn't seem to be a pattern, they say they do it by deck but no two embarkations seem to be the same.

Having done 2 Ventura cruises and 3 Azura cruises since the introduction of the current system I can say with certainty deck C on these ships is boarded at 3:30. We also did a cruise on Oceana deck D which was also 3:30 boarding but as we were on a coach we were boarded when we arrived on that occasion.

We are fully expecting to get a 3:30 boarding time for our upcoming cruise on Azura as we are again on C deck. We will probably get to the terminal early because we build contingency into our travel time in case of traffic problems but we would rather sit and read while waiting to board rather than worry about missing the ship if we get on early great if not we won't get upset.

I don't believe that times are allocated by deck. It seems random. Suite passengers are 1230pm. Carribean and above loyalty members are 1pm (maybe Ligurian are 1230pm?). It seems, from countless posts I have read on these forums, that the vast majority of 'the rest' get allocated 3.30pm, probably on the basis that many will ignore it and turn up early, others will be compliant brits and do as they are told and others will be fashionably late! We seem to have struck gold (well silver) on our forthcoming Aurora cruise as we are going cattle class but have been given 2.30pm. We are going to rebel and turn up an hour early, expecting to be placed in the naughty corner but hoping that we will get on early. In fact, I might have to paint a few extra wrinkles on Mrs S, dust some flour in her hair and claim she is 102 years old. Then Bingo. The crowds will part and we will be straight on board.

First impressions count. We only stick with p&o because they leave from the UK and we enjoy the rest of the cruise.

To be honest, I'd prefer a free for all system, where you turn up and board in order of arrival. What's unfair about that?

Well all I can say is try Celebrity or Royal, turn up when you want from 10.30 at Southampton. With Celebrity they hand you champagne as you board. All cabins are available at 1pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well all I can say is try Celebrity or Royal, turn up when you want from 10.30 at Southampton. With Celebrity they hand you champagne as you board. All cabins are available at 1pm.

Love P&O but there is no arguing with this one Kevinyork. End of discussion for me.

We probably pay for the champagne in the cruise fare, but it is a nice touch ;-)

Surely the fact that some describe the P&O system as working well simply because if you turn up at your designated time you shouldn't wait too long but if you turn up early you can expect a delay misses the point?

This assumes that we are all content to arrive at a time randomly determined by P&O, at a time that suits them and not the customer. This is outdated thinking and poor customer service and doesn't make the best start to a holiday. Some people are determined by train times, others (like us) will build in quite a bit of extra time for traffic delays. If we don't hit any delays, we don't want to leave our valuables unattended in our cars in Southampton whilst we kill time waiting for our slot.

We have benefited from priority boarding on several occasions (due to having a Suite) but of the 5 future cruises we have booked only 2 will afford us this privelige. For our upcoming cruise on Aurora we have been allocated 2.30pm, better than many will get, but still a bit late for lunch, which we enjoy as it marks the start of the cruise for us. We will therefore arrive earlier, expecting a wait but hoping to get on earlier than our slot.

Whilst I am inclined to agree that some system is needed, I don't buy the fact that everyone will turn up at midday. Southampton is right at the bottom of the country and passengers are travelling from all parts of the UK and beyond. I would think that only a relatively small percentage stay overnight the night before.

But, more importantly than all of this, it is patently obvious from the experiences being shared by others that other cruise lines have a far better system for embarkation than P&O. It is unacceptable for P&O to stick with a system that works for them (even if some passengers don't have a problem with it) when their competitors have found far better ways to do the same thing far more efficiently and in a far more customer friendly manner.

I like P&O but am not blind to their faults. They do have some!

Selbourne. Well written!

The two lines do things In a different way. But that does not make the way P&O do things bad. Many people are happy with what happens now, turn up at your given times and board quickly. Now I still maintain those who shout the loudest are those who think they should get on first, just because they want to. I do not see the point in this discussion when people come on and say well X or Y do it better we are not talking about X and Y we are on a site discussing P&O and how well the new system is working. The OP got his/her answer very early, yes they are sticking to the times given. And yes it works and yes if you turn up too early, even if you are disabled, you are likely to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But it does make the way P&O board at Southampton bad. There is an alternative that is better for the vast majority of passengers. Many might be happy with the P&O system but how many more would be happy with...check in from 10.30, when you want, as suits..........Celebrity and Royals' procedure.

The point is, there is a better way, it's been tried and tested and it works. P&O don't want to pay to ease boarding procedures so many are inconvenienced. Whether it works versus wether there is a much better way is a very different question.

The last time I was on Royal Caribbean they let me pick when I could board rather than being told like P&O does.

Makes far more sense to have a choice when you would like to board and pick the next nearest if that slot is full. Not be told when you can.

RCI do half hourly slots to choose from, once a slot is full you move to the next nearest one.

At least that reduces the guessing game of when will we get on.

P&O's boarding system is ludicrous and takes no account of people arriving by train or are required to leave their hotels at 11am. Of course many will say get a later train but that isn't always possible for those of us who live in the sticks with only one train option per day and where P&O coaches don't go anwhere near.

I like P&O but their boarding system is not geared to everyone. Contrast that with RC where boarding is virtually instantaneous. My cruise next week gives me a 3pm boarding time but I have no option other than to arrive very early.

But it does make the way P&O board at Southampton bad. There is an alternative that is better for the vast majority of passengers. Many might be happy with the P&O system but how many more would be happy with...check in from 10.30, when you want, as suits..........Celebrity and Royals' procedure.

The point is, there is a better way, it's been tried and tested and it works. P&O don't want to pay to ease boarding procedures so many are inconvenienced. Whether it works versus wether there is a much better way is a very different question.

P&O perhaps don't want to increase costs by having a better boarding system as that would mean increasing the price to the customer. I don't think.that I am the only one who would welcome an increase in the cost of the cruise if they would :

1) Improve the food

2) Include tips in the cost of the cruise

3) Let us board when we want

P&O are not perfect but small changes could go a long way to improve customer satisfaction.

P&O perhaps don't want to increase costs by having a better boarding system as that would mean increasing the price to the customer. I don't think.that I am the only one who would welcome an increase in the cost of the cruise if they would :

1) Improve the food

2) Include tips in the cost of the cruise

3) Let us board when we want

P&O are not perfect but small changes could go a long way to improve customer satisfaction.

Well said:D

In fact, I might have to paint a few extra wrinkles on Mrs S, dust some flour in her hair and claim she is 102 years old. Then Bingo. The crowds will part and we will be straight on board.

Don't bet on it - my Mum was 101 and she was treated like a poor relation - had to give way to all the bigger spenders. Of course, the crowds may part on her next cruise as she will then be a magic 102!;p But we are talking about a rather strange set of people shoreside. Don't seem to be in the same world as many of us.

Interesting so 3000 people can board at 10.30. That would be great.

Interesting so 3000 people can board at 10.30. That would be great.

But all people won't and, to be honest if they do, even if we wait a while we will all be on board before 4pm (the time we were last given for Britannia) with the RCI system.

Am not a Celebrity / RC I Cheer Leader (if anyone sees recent posts on Celebrity threads they can see that) but, on this occasion I do think that they have the best way forward.

Come on Dai, admit it ... it would be better ...... just let yourself imagine it working for P&O ;);)

We TOO LOVE P&O and just wish they would give it a go !!!

I don't believe that times are allocated by deck. It seems random. Suite passengers are 1230pm. Carribean and above loyalty members are 1pm (maybe Ligurian are 1230pm?). It seems, from countless posts I have read on these forums, that the vast majority of 'the rest' get allocated 3.30pm, probably on the basis that many will ignore it and turn up early, others will be compliant brits and do as they are told and others will be fashionably late! We seem to have struck gold (well silver) on our forthcoming Aurora cruise as we are going cattle class but have been given 2.30pm. We are going to rebel and turn up an hour early, expecting to be placed in the naughty corner but hoping that we will get on early. In fact, I might have to paint a few extra wrinkles on Mrs S, dust some flour in her hair and claim she is 102 years old. Then Bingo. The crowds will part and we will be straight on board.

I wonder if you might be lucky as there are only 12 suites on Aurora (oh, and mini suites also get priority don't they?) so not as many as most ships. Here's hoping.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A thought has just occurred to me. For our next cruise, I shall post for assistance on our Roll Call. Perhaps someone will be arriving at a similar time to us and will be willing to push our wheelchair up the first slope and then the gangway.

There really are some very nice younger folks around - and yes, some still stand up and offer a seat on the bus:D:p

Pando should be ashamed of discriminating with allocation of wheelchairs. No other cruiseline does this. They all have priority check-in for all sorts of reasons, but no others do priority for wheelchairs. Actually, in their literature, they only state priority for check-in!! So I want to know what other priorities are there? i.e. priority to enter lifts, toilets on board etc.?:evilsmile: