Embarkation Times - Recent Experiences?

megacruiser

I've cruised several times with celebrity and Royal Caribbean from Southampton, and also several times with P&O. I have to say that I have found the Celebrity / Royal Caribbean embarkation procedure much slicker and much quicker every time (and therefore a much better start to the holiday). Part of the reason is that they just get on with it as soon as they can rather than wasting time giving out cards and getting people to wait. Celebrity / Royal Caribbean also seem to have more staff on the checking-in desks (perhaps the staff that would be normally giving out cards!). As others have said, their system seems to be geared towards serving customers better (who really wants to sit around in a busy lounge for ages), rather than making it easier for themselves (which P&O sometimes seem to be doing).

I've said the same before and you are spot on. If you back up people in the terminal waiting with cards then they are starting from being behind.

We will be back on Celebrity in June and Royal in Sep, arriving in the car park at 10.30 and based on previous experience onboard by 11-11.30. This has nothing to do with getting priority boarding though our loyalty. Even when we boarded Anthem with 4,300 guest, Royal thought through the problem and allowed people to select their own preferred check in times on a first come first served basis. It worked flawlessly.

It's not a clamour to be onboard early. This is our holiday and it starts when we get onboard, have a meal and a drink and access our cabin at 1pm (Celebrity and Royal release all cabins at 1pm). Our holiday doesn't start if we are held waiting in a terminal or having to kill time wandering round Southampton and finding somewhere to buy lunch.

P&O, and many on this board, seem to make out that without check in times the terminal would be flooded by 3000 passengers by noon. This was never our experience on our first couple of P&O cruises before check in times were introduced and where we would aim for about a mid-day arrival. Most people arrive naturally or based on coach arrivals. Unfortunately people seem to swallow P&Os publicity that check in times are to enable you to access your cabin on boarding so it's for the passenger's benefit.

P&O should start boarding earlier and have more check in staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry Kevin you know I do not agree with what you are saying an I do not want another argument but it was my experience that more and more people wanted to be on first and would turn up at 11.00 so the waiting room was packed. In fact when people asked on here and on other forums most people said "oh just ignore your times and come when you like"

Now, certainly on FB there are many posts from people who are saying that the new boarding is so much better.

You only have to read posts on this thread to show that there is a clamour to be on early and those who are stopped doing this are not happy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hey Dai,

You know what ...... there is life after Pando;p??

Not totally sure that Royal Caribbean would be your cup of char - but worth giving Celebrity a try!! Entertainment lets it down a bit though.

We have enjoyed NCL, MSC (Yacht Club is totally amazing - forget suites on Pando) Princess, HAL Silversea yadda yadda.

Had the best Butlered (is there such a word) Suite on Regent Seven Seas Mariner, so we do get around.

Not too much wrong with Pando - its just the little things - plus the absolutely dreadful buffet which I was informed is changing in June. Pando is just let down by poor management and policies - much too regimented.

If I worked for P&O and was unable to introduce the much better system used by some other lines (as described above), I would retain priority boarding priveliges for Suite and higher tier loyalty passengers, but then allocate the remaining standard boarding times differently.

Rather than the current system (which some say is by deck, but I am inclined to think is random), I would allocate the remainder of the embarkation slots by date of booking. So, if you are first to book, you get the first time slot after the priority folk. If you book last minute, you get the latest slots. That would seem a lot fairer and would be an incentive to book early, so it's a win for P&O as well as for passengers who commit early and don't benefit from any last minute deals.

It amuses me that the only people who appear to think that the current system is fine and defend it to the hilt are those who don't actually have to wait.

Perhaps if they did not embark until late and after a wait well beyond the "allocated" time they would have a different view.

P&O need to move with the times, people don't like waiting in queues when there is no good reason that they need to do so with a little better organisation.

It amuses me that the only people who appear to think that the current system is fine and defend it to the hilt are those who don't actually have to wait.

Perhaps if they did not embark until late and after a wait well beyond the "allocated" time they would have a different view.

P&O need to move with the times, people don't like waiting in queues when there is no good reason that they need to do so with a little better organisation.

If I had to wait I would not turn up early. That is the point. The people on FB saying it works are not in suites or high tier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Given what we saw on Ventura for the last 2 weeks, they do like to queue, we were amused to see the queue starting outside the Saffron restaurant at 5pm every evening even though the doors did not open until 6pm. We walked past a queue outside the Arena theatre at 7:15 waiting for the theatre to.open the doors for the 8:30 performance on the last night of the cruise. :D:D:p

Not only on the Ventura - its the oily boid thingy!! Almost always the early performance. As for the ice shows on the Independence OTS...... crack o' dawn!!! Such fun.:*:* Go cruising to stand in a queue - must get out more!

If I had to wait I would not turn up early. That is the point. The people on FB saying it works are not in suites or high tier.

That's not really the point Dai, you are defending P&O's right to operate a poor quality system that gives poor customer service, just because P&O management can't be bothered to re-engineer an inadequate process..

Yes it will work if passengers do as P&O tells them, but it's creating frustration, and some of us know it can be handled a lot better, however it never will be while you keep keep wanting passengers to act like sheep.

PS I think maybe your Facecloth needs a good wash to get rid of all the grubs.;p:cool:

That's not really the point Dai, you are defending P&O's right to operate a poor quality system that gives poor customer service, just because P&O management can't be bothered to re-engineer an inadequate process..

Yes it will work if passengers do as P&O tells them, but it's creating frustration, and some of us know it can be handled a lot better, however it never will be while you keep keep wanting passengers to act like sheep.

PS I think maybe your Facecloth needs a good wash to get rid of all the grubs.;p:cool:

Yes John very interesting. It is only poor if you are desperate to get on first and are prevented doing so. For the vast majority it works perfectly well the only moaners are those who cannot get on as early as they want.. The frustration you mention is amongst the group I have identified above.

Last time this thread lasted about 3/4 weeks and you were wrong then as now.

Hey Dai,

You know what ...... there is life after Pando;p??

Not totally sure that Royal Caribbean would be your cup of char - but worth giving Celebrity a try!! Entertainment lets it down a bit though.

We have enjoyed NCL, MSC (Yacht Club is totally amazing - forget suites on Pando) Princess, HAL Silversea yadda yadda.

Had the best Butlered (is there such a word) Suite on Regent Seven Seas Mariner, so we do get around.

Not too much wrong with Pando - its just the little things - plus the absolutely dreadful buffet which I was informed is changing in June. Pando is just let down by poor management and policies - much too regimented.

Many have tried to get me to change and yes they all might be fine and dandy. But

I don't fly.

I like to cruise all year round.

I cannot do small ships because of the scooter.

Taking these constraints P&O are far better than the rest.

Well I am a low loyalty tierand one of those who are very happy to have a later boarding time and come along about twenty minutes beforehand and then go straight on and to my prepared cabin without a wait, which has been my experience every time since the new system. Obviously I love the early times I have sometimes had, but I'm afraid chancing it and running the risk of hanging around that termnal for a few hours is not for me. Re the previous booking system when we all turned up early... I remember it well. I remember queuing and waiting and a scrum up in the buffet as we were all there with our cases waiting for our cabins, falling over everyone's big 'hand' luggage and it was hard to get a seat, especially on wet weather days. So yes, I am one of the happy people.... :)

Just back from sailing on Britannia. Embarkation time 3pm, turned up at 1pm. Had to wait until 2.55pm for check in. People who turned up at their allocated time clearly took priority. Wish I had just turned up at 3.

I did not turn up early, I turned up at the allocated time which was ridiculously late and was still made to wait until well past that time. That is not a moan, it is a fact from my experience of the new system to date. Other people have had other (better) experiences. I hope that I have the same the next time.

I follow the P &O rules however as a matter of opinion I do not see the need for such late boarding in the first place when other organisations with bigger ships manage the whole process better and quicker.

I don't think it helps that there is very little to see or do in Southampton particulalry if you have been there multiple times before. It is not the nicest of places to kill time, now if P&0 were to leave from Edinburgh;p

Many have tried to get me to change and yes they all might be fine and dandy. But

I don't fly.

I like to cruise all year round.

I cannot do small ships because of the scooter.

Taking these constraints P&O are far better than the rest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dai - we agree with all your comments. We also do not fly anymore - for obvious reasons. Cannot cope with airports. We cruise all year round - which is why we thought we would try Pando for a change - but it will be back to Cunard - they have moved with the times a bit more than Pando!! Summer we have the freedom to choose. We also prefer the larger ships - and there are many to choose from in the summer.

Having said that, I know we are most comfortable on the Celebrity Eclipse because we are so used to it, so I appreciate how you feel about Pando. However, having experienced the professional service on the Eclipse, it does show up the shortcomings of Pando which has not moved with the times. They let themselves down with the details, which makes the operation look inefficient.

I have become a very patriotic Brexiteer:eek: - and I still think of P&O as quintessentially British and if no-one criticises its shortcomings, it will never improve. Not good to be known as the cheapo line!! It does seem to be for lack of trying, rather than anything else.

In our case, re the embarkation procedure, its lack of empathy - just an indication of its rigid stance on board. Laughably, they keep on sending round questionnaires on how they can improve - but take no notice of comments. Our friends on board thought it hilarious.

I did not turn up early, I turned up at the allocated time which was ridiculously late and was still made to wait until well past that time. That is not a moan, it is a fact from my experience of the new system to date. Other people have had other (better) experiences. I hope that I have the same the next time.

I follow the P &O rules however as a matter of opinion I do not see the need for such late boarding in the first place when other organisations with bigger ships manage the whole process better and quicker.

I don't think it helps that there is very little to see or do in Southampton particulalry if you have been there multiple times before. It is not the nicest of places to kill time, now if P&0 were to leave from Edinburgh;p

Well, it appears that boarding times are allocated by deck - no idea who thought this one up!! Since we are on the same deck in December, we could be in big trouble if she decides she needs the loo. And after a two hour ++ car journey, who knows at 102? This is like the elderly lady who had to pee in her pants on a recent BA flight as she was denied access to the loo because the seat belt signs were on. (I think I got that story right, but if not I am sure thousands will be on here waiting to correct me!):halo:

Its a totally stupid system as everyone has different travel arrangements. However, they don't seem to keep to this when their coach loads of paying passengers arrive!!:( Everyone is equal according to Pando, just some are more equal than others!! ROTFL

The boarding is by deck and on larger ships by parts of deck e.g. Forward or midships. Hence the different coloured luggage labels. This is to allow your luggage to be at your cabin when you board.

BMT it is only stupid if you feel you should be on before other people and you are not allowed to.

Not sure any cruise company takes into consideration where you live or how far that you travel from.

That of course can't work as most who come from a long way stay overnight somewhere. Many in Southampton.

The boarding is by deck and on larger ships by parts of deck e.g. Forward or midships. Hence the different coloured luggage labels. This is to allow your luggage to be at your cabin when you board.

Do you know the deck boarding order? In all seriousness, on cruises where we don't qualify for priority boarding, I would be tempted to select a cabin on a deck or location (all other things being equal) if I knew that doing so would get us on board earlier. Boarding at say 1.30pm, immediately after the priority boarders, makes a big difference to the enjoyment of your first day on board than, say, being allocated 3.30pm, not least because you can get lunch on board. Thanks.

Do you know the deck boarding order? In all seriousness, on cruises where we don't qualify for priority boarding, I would be tempted to select a cabin on a deck or location (all other things being equal) if I knew that doing so would get us on board earlier. Boarding at say 1.30pm, immediately after the priority boarders, makes a big difference to the enjoyment of your first day on board than, say, being allocated 3.30pm, not least because you can get lunch on board. Thanks.

No as it appears to be a state secret. I did see some deck orders posted a while ago for Britannia but I do not know how accurate they were. They of course will be different with each ship.

Its a trade off Selbourne because it seems that the favoured C deck balconies on Azura/Ventura always have 3:30pm, and we always try to book one of these accessible cabins. Which is why I rather like your idea of allocating boarding time by booking date. In this way we would be able to board just after Dai and his posh Caribou colleagues. :D:p

Its a trade off Selbourne because it seems that the favoured C deck balconies on Azura/Ventura always have 3:30pm, and we always try to book one of these accessible cabins. Which is why I rather like your idea of allocating boarding time by booking date. In this way we would be able to board just after Dai and his posh Caribou colleagues. :D:p

Well you would not get in front as I book day one at 08.00, that's Baltic day one. So with everything else I would have to board before the ship arrived. :) in fact if we put all the suggestions together, we have had in this thread I would get priority for,

1. Distance to travel.

2. Date and time booked.

3. Baltic tier

4. Disability.

5. Suite.

:) :)

Well this thread has rattled a few cages:)

I am on Azura on July 9th, D Deck cabin D702, I was on the same Deck on Ventura last year and had a 3.30 board and got on about 3.45ish....I am sort of guessing it will be the same sort of boarding time again...unless someone knows better.;)

This is a "hot potato" of a subject and many strong views held, so long as my luggage turns up okay and does not fall in the water as I believe some peoples did last year then I will remain pretty relaxed about it:D....I only have to go from Pompey to the terminal so no big deal for me...however people travelling from afar have to judge and plan their arrival far better than me so I think I can understand frustrations might be a little understandable.

Anyway, onwards and upwards..lets hope we all have an enjoyable Cruise whenever and where ever we are headed eh....Cruise terminal problems are soon forgotten once the Cruise starts anyway...well, until were back here on this fine board.:):)

Well this thread has rattled a few cages:)

I am on Azura on July 9th, D Deck cabin D702, I was on the same Deck on Ventura last year and had a 3.30 board and got on about 3.45ish....I am sort of guessing it will be the same sort of boarding time again...unless someone knows better.;)

This is a "hot potato" of a subject and many strong views held, so long as my luggage turns up okay and does not fall in the water as I believe some peoples did last year then I will remain pretty relaxed about it:D....I only have to go from Pompey to the terminal so no big deal for me...however people travelling from afar have to judge and plan their arrival far better than me so I think I can understand frustrations might be a little understandable.

Anyway, onwards and upwards..lets hope we all have an enjoyable Cruise whenever and where ever we are headed eh....Cruise terminal problems are soon forgotten once the Cruise starts anyway...well, until were back here on this fine board.:):)

Is this for a 4.30pm sailing? If so that must one of the last to board

We are on D Deck mid ship balcony Arcadia was hoping for earlier than that time as we are staying overnight in Southampton

Is this for a 4.30pm sailing? If so that must one of the last to board

We are on D Deck mid ship balcony Arcadia was hoping for earlier than that time as we are staying overnight in Southampton

Different ships have different deck orders for boarding.