Driving the Klondike Highway

rgmacm

We have rented a car in Skagway and plan to drive the Klondike Highway. My question is...how far is it safe to go TIME-WISE? We would like to go as far as Carcross, (assuming that is do-able?) but we also wondered about going all the way to Whitehorse (would that be pushing it too much and risking not getting back...) We are the kind of people who want to see and do as much as we can possibly cram into a day! :D

• Our ship will be in port 13 hrs...however, we probably won't be able to pick up our car until after 9 which will leave us about 11 hrs to actually work with.... Obviously, we need to allow time to return the car and get back to the ship too...
  • Yes, we know to take our passports... ;)

Thoughts from those who have driven this route before???.

I've driven to Whitehorse before because I wanted to see the museum. It was very rushed with almost no time for lunch and a bit of worry about getting back on time. There were four of us, so we made some stops for scenery, wildlife, etc. as well. Unless you have a compelling reason to go all the way to Whitehorse, I would plan on just going as far as Emerald Lake which is past Carcross. The Carcross desert, photo and wildlife stops, a leisurely lunch, and stops at the Skagway cemetery and Reid Falls should more than take up your day.

We have rented a car in Skagway and plan to drive the Klondike Highway. My question is...how far is it safe to go TIME-WISE? We would like to go as far as Carcross, (assuming that is do-able?) but we also wondered about going all the way to Whitehorse (would that be pushing it too much and risking not getting back...) We are the kind of people who want to see and do as much as we can possibly cram into a day! :D

• Our ship will be in port 13 hrs...however, we probably won't be able to pick up our car until after 9 which will leave us about 11 hrs to actually work with.... Obviously, we need to allow time to return the car and get back to the ship too...

Whitehorse would be to far for what you'll see . The furthest I'd go is the Carcross Desert and Emerald lake. Both are beyond Carcross .Make sure you have passports before traveling up the Klondike Highway.

We use Murray's Guide, make multiple stops, a few short hikes, and take our time. The entire trip to emerald Lake and back for us is 6-7 hours. We spend time wandering in Carcross, hike to the top of the dunes at the desert, take the short path across the highway from Emerald Lake, and things like that. Most people do it in about 5 hours. Then, when we get back to Skagway, there's still time to go to the overlook on the way to Dyea, wander about the cemetery, walk up to the falls, and even wander around town. In other words, there's plenty of time to get to Emerald Lake and back.

We use Murray's Guide, make multiple stops, a few short hikes, and take our time. The entire trip to emerald Lake and back for us is 6-7 hours. We spend time wandering in Carcross, hike to the top of the dunes at the desert, take the short path across the highway from Emerald Lake, and things like that. Most people do it in about 5 hours. Then, when we get back to Skagway, there's still time to go to the overlook on the way to Dyea, wander about the cemetery, walk up to the falls, and even wander around town. In other words, there's plenty of time to get to Emerald Lake and back.

We drove as far as Emerald Lake on our first visit and it took us about 9 hours total including a stop at the cemetery and hiking to Reid Falls. Guess you can tell we did a lot of stopping!

I've read about the overlook. Could you give me directions to get there?

We drove as far as Emerald Lake on our first visit and it took us about 9 hours total including a stop at the cemetery and hiking to Reid Falls. Guess you can tell we did a lot of stopping!

I've read about the overlook. Could you give me directions to get there?

You take Dyea Road. According to Murray's guide, Dyea Raod is 2.4 miles from the ferry dock, off the Klondike Highway. We stopped on the way back - Dyea Road is off to the right coming back - before you cross the bridge to town. If I remember correctly, there was a small sign that said Dyea. The overlook is 1.4 miles down Dyea Road on the left hand side. There's a pull out and it's easy to see.

My Murray's Guide is a few years old, but the directions to Dyea Road are on the last two pages of the pdf file.

According to Google Maps, the driving time would be 3 hours each way. You also need to add the time to pickup the car and to return it. In addition, if the ship is in port for 13 hours, you must be on board 1/2 hour before it leaves so that means that your effective time in port will be 12 1/2 hours instead of 13 hours. Your driving time plus the time wasted at the beginning and end of the trip might be 1 hour. This means that you will have 5 1/2 hours to actually stop and see things. Looking at it another way, you will have 7 hours of transportation time and 5 1/2 hours of doing things time.

I would not do it. You will be too rushed.

DON

We have driven into Skagway several times with our own vehicles, and while Google Maps may state that the driving time from the ALCAN Hwy to Skagway is three hours each way, it has always taken us much longer than three hours. I also would suggest turning around at Emerald Lake. And if this helps you with your decision I've always thought that the scenery is best between Emerald Lake and Skagway.

Thank you everyone. If there's one thing I've learned in all my Alaska research, it's that Googlemaps does NOT know how long it takes to drive distances in Alaska. :) That's the reason I asked here...to get info from those who've actually done it. So Thank you!

I think we'll go as far as Emerald Lake then turn around...we wouldn't mind having some time in Skagway for the Nat'l Park too...but not be rushed on the Klondike Hwy in case we just LOVE the drive and want to spend all our time there. You'd THINK 13 hrs was a lot of time, but when you start actually planning things out, you realize it's really not long at all. ;)

First trip we did the ship's excursion by train. Last trip we did the DIY rental car. We went as far as Emerald Lake using Murray's Guide. Here is a link to my blog post about our day and all our various stops at the Suspension Bridge, Carcross, the Desert, Emerald Lake, the Welcome to Alaska sign, etc. if you would like to take a look.

http://ocdplannercindy.blogspot.com/search?q=fairbanks#!/2014/04/2013-alaska-cruise-tour-skagway-yukon.html

Happy Planning!

Cindy